Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

SA2K posted:

So I'm about six episodes into the first season of The Wire (after being told by many people that it's the best show ever made), and the story just isn't really pulling me in. Is this one of those shows that starts out kind of slow and captures you later on down the road? Or is it five seasons of them just wire tapping payphones?

I'm not one of the superfans, but The Wire does get better as it goes on. It took me a couple false starts before I finally worked my way through the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Confession time: My fiancee and I have been bingeiing through the first season of Glee over the last week or so, and...I'm kind of down with it. Maybe it goes off the rails later on but so far this first season has been funny and all the singing and poo poo takes me back to doing my own high school music days. Also it has a bunch of weird subtle music jokes and it lets me make dumb music jokes, both of which go over my fiancee's head. Is that so wrong of me?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Better Call Saul deserves literally all of Breaking Bad's audience.

Edit: Also Greg Giraldo's roast of Larry the Cable Guy is peerless.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 31, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's a reeeeeeally loving good show and it's filling the void that Breaking Bad being over left me with. There is not a single episode of it so far that I've disliked in any way. In fact they've all been incredibly strong. Show's got a hell of a track record so far.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

Confession time: My fiancee and I have been bingeing through the first season of Glee over the last week or so, and...I'm kind of down with it. Maybe it goes off the rails later on but so far this first season has been funny and all the singing and poo poo takes me back to doing my own high school music days. Also it has a bunch of weird subtle music jokes and it lets me make dumb music jokes, both of which go over my fiancee's head. Is that so wrong of me?

The first season (particularly the first half of the first season) is renown for being very good, so good that many of us stuck with the show through to the end hoping for any glimpse of that original greatness.

And it's not like there weren't teases of quality over the next several seasons, but it never did rise to the level it start at. In fact, it sunk very low from that starting position.

So low.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. The first half of the first season is legitimately good with a lot of potential. And the second half has its problems but at least ties up some of those stories and I think its probably a fine place to just stop watching.

I only made it through three seasons I think but it most definitely goes off the rails as it goes on and pretty much loses most of what makes it appealing in those first 13 episodes.

SA2K posted:

So I'm about six episodes into the first season of The Wire (after being told by many people that it's the best show ever made), and the story just isn't really pulling me in. Is this one of those shows that starts out kind of slow and captures you later on down the road? Or is it five seasons of them just wire tapping payphones?

The Wire is THE show that "starts out kind of slow and captures you later down the road." Its a very deep and intricate world that very, very slowly unravels until one day you find you're deeply invested (or don't, some people don't). Keep watching for now. Episode 10-11 is when the show really, really CLICKS for a lot of people (or did for me). Until that point I didn't feel that deeply invested but a lot of stuff that built slowly comes together at that point and I fell in love. It also basically led me to immediately rewatch the entire season because I was starting to notice poo poo that I didn't fully pay attention to the first time around and wanted to go back and see what I might have missed.

Also, Season 2 has the same kind of slow start unfortunately. But if you enjoy Season 1 stick with Season 2 and it will reward you better. And Season 3 is a much quicker pick up and going forward. I feel like the most honest thing I can tell you that might affect your opinion is that I think The Wire is the greatest show of all time but it took me like 3 times to get through the first season before I really hankered down and let it suck me in.

But I'd say definitely finish off Season 1. You haven't yet hit the big turning point of the season where everything comes together. Its not a "the show is bad to this point" thing either, its a "everything up until this point was building to this" thing. So finish it out and if you don't enjoy it skip the next four seasons because S2 is a lot more of the same in tone and pacing. But I think most people don't really get plugged in until later in Season 1.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 31, 2015

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
The second season of the Wire is kind of a weird departure. But seasons 3 and 4 are a lot more just plain really good TV. You gotta give the show a while to kinda drag you into its world and when you've picked up the lingo and can recognize all the characters then you'll enjoy it more on a rewatch. The show is slow and kinda boring at first but it kinda becomes more outright entertaining with shootouts, badass characters, etc. but it still stays pretty grounded in a way a lot of shows don't even try to do.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Confession time: My fiancee and I have been bingeiing through the first season of Glee over the last week or so, and...I'm kind of down with it. Maybe it goes off the rails later on but so far this first season has been funny and all the singing and poo poo takes me back to doing my own high school music days. Also it has a bunch of weird subtle music jokes and it lets me make dumb music jokes, both of which go over my fiancee's head. Is that so wrong of me?

The first season of Glee was legitimately good or at least decent TV, with some decent biting humor about high school. Then it turned into just a cover band, putting in storylines that existed as an excuse to cover hit songs so they could sell Glee soundtrack CD's.

I pretty much walked away after the whole outrage over 'Finn calling Kurt a fag', which was supposed show that Finn was super intolerant of Kurt because of his homosexuality, and not because Kurt was acting like the world's worst gay stereotype ever, to the point of reinforcing the worst gay stereotypes possible. The Gays are all trying to recruit us to be gay. We're talking the kind of gay stereotypes you would expect to see on a Rick Santorum video about how all the gays are trying to recruit everybody to be gay.

Then when some people objected, the writers accused everyone of being homophobes, instead of just acknowledging that the scene was horribly written, and Finn was in the right to be pissed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

C-Euro posted:

OH GOD GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN :supaburn:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Metropolis posted:

The second season of the Wire is kind of a weird departure.

Only in retrospect. The Wire would have been a far different, and arguably better, series if it actually followed a different element of Baltimore's underworld instead of going to the same black crime well every year. I get that Stringer Bell's an interesting character, but so were the dockworkers for the most part.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. The first half of the first season is legitimately good with a lot of potential. And the second half has its problems but at least ties up some of those stories and I think its probably a fine place to just stop watching.

I only made it through three seasons I think but it most definitely goes off the rails as it goes on and pretty much loses most of what makes it appealing in those first 13 episodes.

That's funny, I remember watching the end of episode 13 when the two teachers kiss in the hall and thinking "there's an alternate universe where this was a surprisingly good movie instead of a TV show"

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I'm a big fan of Justin Bieber, and even though his past is full of teenage angst and other problems, this roast helped change that a bit I feel. I don't think the comedians roasted him hard enough, in fact, it's a bit sad that his actual jokes were better than most of the actual comedians. But it was a pretty funny roast, despite being so milque-toast. I think the big JB was too young (21) to be on the roast, though. But then again, everything that Anchorman Wil Ferrel said was on-point about him being a man for doing whatever the gently caress he wanted. It's too bad he had to apologize for all of it, but if he's actually sincere about changing, I'm all for it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

C-Euro posted:

That's funny, I remember watching the end of episode 13 when the two teachers kiss in the hall and thinking "there's an alternate universe where this was a surprisingly good movie instead of a TV show"

Glee was a victim of its own success, where Fox, as it is wont to due, went completely all in and put an intense amount of pressure on Glee to be this phenomenal cultural hit so the plots got increasingly wacky and the show was little more then a vehicle for a weekly itunes hit sale.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

I'm a big fan of Justin Bieber, and even though his past is full of teenage angst and other problems, this roast helped change that a bit I feel. I don't think the comedians roasted him hard enough, in fact, it's a bit sad that his actual jokes were better than most of the actual comedians. But it was a pretty funny roast, despite being so milque-toast. I think the big JB was too young (21) to be on the roast, though.

The problem with Justin Bieber as a roastee is that there's nothing to say about him that hasn't already been said, in public, a million times before. The best roasts occur when the roasters are taking the poo poo out of someone who never gets the poo poo taken out of them (Frank Sinatra, for example), but Justin Bieber has been the target of ridicule since he first became popular. Yeah, he's a dumbass, he dresses stupid, he's from canada, he has a bowl cut, he thinks he's street tough despite being a twink, his fans are 99% jailbait, etc, etc. What's new there that hasn't been said before, and to his face? If you want to roast someone, roast someone who gets his balls licked by everybody, like Jon Stewart, or David Letterman.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ravane posted:

in fact, it's a bit sad that his actual jokes were better than most of the actual comedians.

.. are you under the impression that the non-comedian roastee writes the material they say at the end of these?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

roast ... Jon Stewart
This will probably happen in the next few years.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I am watching the Big Bang Theory and enjoying it.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of the Daily Show... it's an off week and I need something to watch while I work out. Hmmm what's this roast...

TV: "Justin Bieber roast brought to you by AXE"

Yeah ofucking course it is.

E: Next commercial said Taco Bell.

Outside of the fact that these roasts are a joke, some of the roasters are hilarious so far.

"Kate Mckinnon does a great impression of Justin, right down to the clit."

Get it? He's not a man or he's a man without a penis or he's a man that has both a penis and a vage... or maybe just the clit part. Maybe his dick is so small that it's often mistaken FOR a clit... People, come on. It's just an excuse for rapid fire lame jokes. I don't really care if it's Bieber or Seinfeld this is funny so far.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 31, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Edit: Also Greg Giraldo's roast of Larry the Cable Guy is peerless.

I like his roast (yeesh) of Flavour Flav is my favorite. Jesus, christ.

EDIT: I guess I am talking about the British version of Flavor Flav?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The HBO Going Clear Scientology documentary is so good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This is the best roast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ_WUn_1kCQ

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What ever happened to The Burn with Jeff Ross? Is it cancelled or just in a massive hiatus?

Watching the Bieber roast on a bit of a delay because of Better Call Saul. The proper comedians and Martha have killed, but why are they roasting Justin Bieber? It's almost as strange as why Donald Trump needed a roast, and why The Situation was a roaster.

To that end,

Irish Joe posted:

If you want to roast someone, roast someone who gets his balls licked by everybody, like Jon Stewart, or David Letterman.

I agree, but the problem with this is the James Franco roast, if I remember right, was a beat-off contest between unfunny comedian Seth Rogen, unfunny comedian Jonah Hill, and unfunny comedian Andy Samberg to be the one Franco loved the most.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 31, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thrakkorzog posted:

The first season of Glee was legitimately good or at least decent TV, with some decent biting humor about high school. Then it turned into just a cover band, putting in storylines that existed as an excuse to cover hit songs so they could sell Glee soundtrack CD's.

I pretty much walked away after the whole outrage over 'Finn calling Kurt a fag',

I quit at that point too. It was just so insultingly stupid. The only way they could have made it even more unintentionally homophobic was if Kurt literally Cosby'd Finn and ate the poo poo like that crazy african preacher thinks gays do.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
All roasts should be performed by Gilbert Gottfried, and you should not watch Glee because it's a piece of poo poo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

All roasts should be performed by Gilbert Gottfried, and you should not watch Glee because it's a piece of poo poo
I would watch Glee if Gilbert Gottfried was on it.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The Bob Sagat roast is the absolute best. The Shatner one is quite good as well. Most of the rest are garbage.

Also, yeah, Going Clear was good, but didn't dip as deeply into the cesspool as I expected. Still recommending the poo poo out of it to everyone at the water cooler.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravane posted:

I'm a big fan of Justin Bieber

You really are a sod.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The Bob Sagat roast is the absolute best. The Shatner one is quite good as well. Most of the rest are garbage.

Also, yeah, Going Clear was good, but didn't dip as deeply into the cesspool as I expected. Still recommending the poo poo out of it to everyone at the water cooler.

The book is a stunning read. And in case you missed it, Vulture compiled some of the more insane things the movie left out.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/21-insane-things-going-clear-left-out.html?om_rid=AACLQ7&om_mid=_BVGatFB9ARYgve

I remember Dan Fienberg reviewed the movie a while back, and I agree with him that I'd like to see more about the people who work for the church who aren't millionaires and celebrities. We know all about the celebrity aspect to it, but it's still largely made up of people who aren't in the same wage bracket.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"How is it possible that Courtney Love looks worse than Kurt Cobain?"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm coming to an end of watching the Sopranos for the first time and I have to say, I feel like I missed the boat on the show. Having seen better, more refined shows that came after it while probably being directly influenced by it - it sort of falls flat to me.

Most of the characters are scum and unlikable, but that usually isn't really a hindrance to enjoying and watching a show. Just the ones that they continued to showcase - Tony's sister and his son for instance, felt like a waste of screen time. Meanwhile, interesting characters don't get too long to shine before abruptly being written out for story reasons. Specifically to me: Ralph, Tony Blundetto, Vito.

Did anyone else walk away underwhelmed from it, having not watched it live/at the time it was created?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I watched most of the first season and the odd episode after that at friends' places when it was still on, and I never really got into it either. Sometimes a popular show is just not your thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never loved Sopranos like a lot do. Its good and has its great moments but I think its elevated place as a cultural phenomenon has a lot to do with it really being the first great show of its kind.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"How is it possible that Courtney Love looks worse than Kurt Cobain?"

That roast was funny just to see how drugged up they let Courtney Love be without someone intervening.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bobjr posted:

That roast was funny just to see how drugged up they let Courtney Love be without someone intervening.

See also Andy Dick at roasts. RIP John Lovitz

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

bobkatt013 posted:

RIP John Lovitz

That was my favorite bit of the SNL anniversary special - all the tributes to Lovitz.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

The problem with Justin Bieber as a roastee is that there's nothing to say about him that hasn't already been said, in public, a million times before. The best roasts occur when the roasters are taking the poo poo out of someone who never gets the poo poo taken out of them (Frank Sinatra, for example), but Justin Bieber has been the target of ridicule since he first became popular. Yeah, he's a dumbass, he dresses stupid, he's from canada, he has a bowl cut, he thinks he's street tough despite being a twink, his fans are 99% jailbait, etc, etc. What's new there that hasn't been said before, and to his face? If you want to roast someone, roast someone who gets his balls licked by everybody, like Jon Stewart, or David Letterman.

I absolutely agree, which is why the jokes that roasted everyone else except Beiber were funny. At least Hannibal Buress was honest about his opinion on JB, it wasn't even a joke, it was just him stating the truth. I'd like to see a roast of Colbert or British man with glasses on Last Week Tonight.

EL BROMANCE posted:

.. are you under the impression that the non-comedian roastee writes the material they say at the end of these?

I assumed he wrote them himself. It makes sense now why Martha Stewart was so funny, but her delivery of the jokes were also on point.

Rocksicles posted:

You really are a sod.

What does a sod mean? Is it just dirt or does it mean something else in Australia? And I like JB, he's two years younger than me and worth $200 million. I don't blame him using that money to pull poo poo that poor people can't do. He literally has so much money that he could retire right then and continue his crazy antics for the rest of his life. I'd probably do the same thing if I was him. I like him, I don't respect him, but I like him.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, for the few of you who care, the showrunner for the Luke Cage Netflix series is Cheo Hodari Coker. Coker previously wrote for Southland and Ray Donovan, so I'd call that an interesting choice (even if Ray Donovan might make some people cautious).

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Kat Williams went on a rant about how the people who weren't comedians at the Flava Flav roast got all their stuff written for them, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for others, even if the person is just adding their personal touch.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
All this roast talk and no one mentioned the Chevy Chase one, in which it was clear that people were there just because they hated him. It's one of the more cringeworthy things I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bobjr posted:

Kat Williams went on a rant about how the people who weren't comedians at the Flava Flav roast got all their stuff written for them, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for others, even if the person is just adding their personal touch.

It absolutely is.

Whitney Cummings wrote for like 3 roasts before they were so desperate for bodies they put her on the stage. Jeselnik was the same.

• Locked thread