Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The thing is you can actually play a fighter as a high-damage, relatively high-defense character but apparently he couldn't manage even that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You can also play a paladin as a supporter and secondary leader pretty well but the path to that does not lead through low Charisma.

e: vvv small saving grace, he's our second defender so when push comes to shove he can do his own thing for all I care. On some level I think it's a refreshing approach.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 30, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah I know, Fighters have some of the best damage for a Defender in the game and you can, with very little effort, be a real solid facesmasher. That said, if you're playing the only Defender in the party and you're completely ignoring the Defender-y bits in favor of running off and trying to solo everything then you're kind of an idiot and also a bad player, especially when the game provides you with multiple options for "lone wolf run up and sword everything" characters if that's what you absolutely have to play.

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
I sometimes wonder if 4e would be played or developed differently if instead of calling it power source and class the books called the same ideas class and kit (or subclass or whatever) instead. It might have helped get away from the idea that being a cleric MEANS SOMETHING when its mechanics can encompass knights in shining armor, wizened priests channeling their god, and a drugged up holy assassin.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
A lot of it simply comes down to "How dare you tell me what to do!" I've seen a lot of 3e fans spew incredible amounts of hate at 4e because it expected people to actually play and act like a team, and not a group of lone wolves coincidentally in the same place at the same time. Lots heaped no small amount of scorn on the "leader" role because literally "YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME, DON'T CALL YOURSELF MY LEADER!"

The joys of making a social game for an asocial group of people.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ProfessorCirno posted:

A lot of it simply comes down to "How dare you tell me what to do!" I've seen a lot of 3e fans spew incredible amounts of hate at 4e because it expected people to actually play and act like a team, and not a group of lone wolves coincidentally in the same place at the same time. Lots heaped no small amount of scorn on the "leader" role because literally "YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME, DON'T CALL YOURSELF MY LEADER!"

The joys of making a social game for an asocial group of people.
I really hope another angry grognard redtexts you for this post.

Not because it's a bad post, it's a good and accurate one, but just because it'd be loving hilarious.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Some of it I'm pretty sure is less "because 4E expects you to act like a team" and more "because 4E doesn't work exactly like 3E did." In 3.X running up to a dude and spamming full attack was the Fighter's raison d'etre, so of course it should work exactly the same in 4E and if it doesn't then this game is obviously bad and dumb. See Quarex's story in the chat thread about a friend of his who stormed out of a 4E convention game when the GM tried to explain how out of combat healing worked.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The team synergy mechanics of the leader are a ton of fun, too. I had a real moment of shining on my Runepriest this weekend, mixing some serious damage boosts with a ton of granted attacks. Sort of like a mini-warlord, was a ton of fun.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Kai Tave posted:

Some of it I'm pretty sure is less "because 4E expects you to act like a team" and more "because 4E doesn't work exactly like 3E did." In 3.X running up to a dude and spamming full attack was the Fighter's raison d'etre, so of course it should work exactly the same in 4E and if it doesn't then this game is obviously bad and dumb. See Quarex's story in the chat thread about a friend of his who stormed out of a 4E convention game when the GM tried to explain how out of combat healing worked.

:munch: Link?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Quarex posted:

I am not going to get into an argument about 4th Edition because I have still never played anything more recent than 3.5 (not even Pathfinder! Wow!), but my only gaming friends who took to 4th Edition are the only ones who read either this subforum or other D&D stuff online--the ones who hated it were the ones who are never going to spend their time caring what other people think about table-top role-playing. The guy I know who hates 4th Edition the most is the same guy who loathed 3rd Edition so much that after reading the rules he refused to play it until someone made up joke covers for the game to rename it because he was so adamant it was "not Dungeons & Dragons."

But whereas he fell in love with 3rd Edition's mechanics and ultimately had to admit it was great and he was wrong, he holds a special kind of anger for 4th Edition that is difficult to understand.

And in both cases, he played the game once, thought it basically sucked but was willing to give it a second chance, and then the second-play through started changing his opinion for 3rd Edition but crystallizing it for 4th. I recently learned the last straw was when he tried to heal someone out of combat and the GM told him that was not how the game worked and so he apparently got up and left the table (this was at PAX East). Googling has failed to answer the question for me of whether that GM had no idea what was going on or whether that is, indeed, how the game works.

Still what I am really saying is, I will never understand what happens in people's brains when they experience gaming mechanics.

I could probably play and have fun with basically any system if I liked the people I was playing with, but for some people you would think the specter of death loomed near any time the wrong mechanic for swinging a sword arose.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tell me that the Healadin Who Can't Hit Anything at least took the Cleric MC feat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You know how life is full of little disappointments?

I think his current train of thought re: feats is "I badly need Athletics training" and I'm making plans to steer that in a more sense-making direction.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 31, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

4e is not the game for people who just gotta fight the system and make guys who are bad at fighting monsters and doing adventures just so the "class" spot on their character sheet says the right thing.

I guarantee you could make dude's character as a Cleric and he'd be basically the same fluffwise except, you know, better at the thing he wants to do. Or heck you could probably improve it by doing hybrid Cleric/Paladin. Same armor, same everything, if he's taking skill training feats I'm sure he could spare some cruft for the proficiencies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
One of the very first 4E edition warriors/trolls on RPGnet around the time that 4E first came out, I'm talking "the PHB1 just dropped and is brand new," was a guy absolutely incensed that the game didn't support his making a Fighter with a Strength of 8.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've been the fighter who charges off alone and falls down, but that's because of bad tactics, not some "I'm playing it right, the game is wrong" mentality. I just kept assuming I was tougher than I was, so I'd try to engage everything over THERE so they wouldn't attack the other players HERE. Old WoW tank mentality where our job was to keep everything in a ball far away from the squishies.

Thinking about that, there's another event from that time that I never figured out whether it was actually kosher or not. As a wizard I kept one enemy completely occupied because I kept using my turn to ready an action to cast Thunderwave when it got within range. It was a melee guy, the terrain didn't give it room to get around me, and it didn't have enough move to reach me (I'd slowly back up once I found the ideal range). Key here is that we assumed if it charged I could blast it back WIS spaces, and then it would have however much move remained to reach my face and eat it (which it couldn't). Was this a clever way of locking down a flank attack, or did we all read the rules wrong?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, that looks like it works fine. But you're locking yourself down as well because there are much more worthwhile uses for a wizard's time than Thunderwave. Then again, keeping an enemy completely occupied is what wizards are supposed to do, so looks like you just found good tactics for that encounter.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If it's stupid but it works it isn't stupid.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

You know how life is full of little disappointments?

I think his current train of thought re: feats is "I badly need Athletics training" and I'm making plans to steer that in a more sense-making direction.

Except his strength score is like 12 maybe since he's pumping points into Wis and Con? With plate penalties training's gonna be a crappy bandage to a problem where the answer is "PLEASE GOD MAKE A CLERIC." Like, he's a pacifist cleric in every way except effectiveness.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

13, as of level 4!

Oh god, I just realized what he's thinking. We have no high STR characters, but he has Bracers of Mental Might and can substitute WIS for STR once an encounter, so he wants to pick up the slack. With what usually is a high STR character.

I do wonder sometimes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

My Lovely Horse posted:

13, as of level 4!

Oh god, I just realized what he's thinking. We have no high STR characters, but he has Bracers of Mental Might and can substitute WIS for STR once an encounter, so he wants to pick up the slack. With what usually is a high STR character.

I do wonder sometimes.

:psyduck:

D&D causes brain damage.

E: though, Paladins are usually high CHA, the STR build isn't as good.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Technically, I think they're just really good at convincing everyone else that the STR build isn't as good with a bluff check.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

:psyduck:

D&D causes brain damage.

E: though, Paladins are usually high CHA, the STR build isn't as good.

Your baseline char-op level is significantly higher than that of the average player, imo. I would imagine that there's an awful lot of Straladins out there because Paladins have always been strength-based in the past and that's the mental image most people have of a paladin.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the most common Paladin build ended up being the Baladin simply because it lets people choose from all the powers.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Probably, yes.

The STR/DEX Elf melee ranger in my group makes me twitch. Especially when the player insists on rolling every drat die one at a loving time and you CANNOT TALK during his turns because he'll lose count of his maths.

The STR paladin isn't bad, it's just got a lot fewer good options for actually doing its job unless you're for some reason a half-orc or have a nice DM.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Strength paladin owns because where else do you get a 4[w] reliable power at level 1. Decapitate for the Lord all day erry day

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Which is great at level 1 and sucks balls past about level 4.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
my solution to that is to play in goon PbPs which never last more than one level up anyway

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It helps that the Son of Mercy is basically "Strength Paladins please apply within"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Probably, yes.

The STR/DEX Elf melee ranger in my group makes me twitch. Especially when the player insists on rolling every drat die one at a loving time and you CANNOT TALK during his turns because he'll lose count of his maths.

The STR paladin isn't bad, it's just got a lot fewer good options for actually doing its job unless you're for some reason a half-orc or have a nice DM.

The thing with CHA paladins is that they have multi-marking, which on a defender is always better than any alternative choice. Strength paladin is good, just not The Absolute Best.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The thing with CHA paladins is that they have multi-marking, which on a defender is always better than any alternative choice. Strength paladin is good, just not The Absolute Best.

IME, you're not playing your Role with a STR/WIS paladin.
Also, you can safely skip the PHB powers that way.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

P.d0t posted:

IME, you're not playing your Role with a STR/WIS paladin.
Also, you can safely skip the PHB powers that way.
Yup. They work best as a 5th member off-tank/striker. And for that they are definitely entertaining (at least in heroic).

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

Yup. They work best as a 5th member off-tank/striker. And for that they are definitely entertaining (at least in heroic).

I traded a Blackguard for a STRaladin in paragon, and it was basically the same thing but with more fun and full AEDU.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

P.d0t posted:

I traded a Blackguard for a STRaladin in paragon, and it was basically the same thing but with more fun and full AEDU.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Yeah, the blackguards are just not as versatile as a regular paladin focused on damage. And even then they don't do that much unless they ignore their own intended mechanics.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Playing a Str/Wis chargadin is really fun but my experience was that the damage I could do changed every round (creating a lot of bookkeeping) and I would basically sling out all my dailies first fight.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Are there any people looking for players? A friend and I are looking for 4e games, but places like roll20 and fantasy grounds are all either 5e, pathfinder, or 4e "We start at level 1, no inherent bonuses, no free feats, also critical failures and I've banned sunrods."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Are there any people looking for players? A friend and I are looking for 4e games, but places like roll20 and fantasy grounds are all either 5e, pathfinder, or 4e "We start at level 1, no inherent bonuses, no free feats, also critical failures and I've banned sunrods."

I sifted through the glut of Pathfinder and 5e on my local Meetup groups about roleplaying and asked if anyone was interested in 4e, and I got a response after a couple weeks. I'm joining a game this weekend.

I guess it depends on your area but the players are out there. I get the feeling that 4e groups are a little withdrawn, since every time I've mentioned preferring it people always want to start a little edition war of their very own right then and there.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I guess it depends on your area but the players are out there. I get the feeling that 4e groups are a little withdrawn, since every time I've mentioned preferring it people always want to start a little edition war of their very own right then and there.

This.
My local D&D facebook group will reliably produce people telling you they'd rather play 3.5 (or maybe PF or 5e) when you specifically post about wanting to run 4e.
"Thanks for your input! :fuckoff:"

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

P.d0t posted:

This.
My local D&D facebook group will reliably produce people telling you they'd rather play 3.5 (or maybe PF or 5e) when you specifically post about wanting to run 4e.
"Thanks for your input! :fuckoff:"

This exact thing happened to me on our local Meetup like a year ago.

I don't get it. I mean, I do get it, but even if I were accommodating it's not like having the knowledge and or books to run 4e instantly gives me the same ability to run 3.5. I couldn't run a Pathfinder game if you paid me to, I know almost nothing about the system.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Kurieg posted:

It helps that the Son of Mercy is basically "Strength Paladins please apply within"

I built a Half-Orc Son of Mercy Straladin with Psychic Lock and a Githyanki Silver longsword for a paragon one-shot, though I never had a chance to play him. Which is a shame because he could mark everything on the battlefield for three turns in a row, slow and knock motherfuckers to the ground (hello, World Serpent's Grasp), and of course apply insane accuracy debuffs to enemies.

Can't convince my group to go back to 4e from 5e, though, so he'll probably won't ever see play, at least not in the relatively near future. They roll their eyes at me when I bring it up.

I AM the grognard now. :smith:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My favourite Paladin build is the Voidsoul genasi one that Sanctions all the things, then disappears so they CAN'T attack him and have to take the damage (and at Epic, IIRC, also get dazed and weakened).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Tiefling Paladin|Warlock that does absolutely absurd amounts of fire and radiant damage to enemies who ignore their Sanctions for me. Fight me or burn.