Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

nobody gives a poo poo about shenmue you idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've said this a lot, and it doesn't seem like too many people care, but I just really want to play Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I would care a lot more about X if I had time to finish the first Xenoblade.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Adam Bowen posted:

I would care a lot more about X if I had time to finish the first Xenoblade.

it takes less hours to 100% than Skyrim.

I said come in! posted:

I've said this a lot, and it doesn't seem like too many people care, but I just really want to play Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I care, it's the only game that I am looking forward to since Zelda's been moved to 2016.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

That's true, but I have a hard time playing any game for extended periods of time if it isn't on my PC. I have to be able to alt-tab to the games forum to make sure I don't miss anyone getting their taint reaped

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

I care, it's the only game that I am looking forward to since Zelda's been moved to 2016.

But I wasn't married with a kid when skyrim came out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh, yeah, well then that definitely isn't a time sink.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kewpuh posted:

what the hell are you talking about taint reaper

Who cares, honestly

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Spectacle Rock posted:

The best game on the Wii U right now is one of the following:
*Mario Kart 8
*Smash Bros Wii U
*Hyrule Warriors
*Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

This list isn't very cute.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

I've had my Wii U for a month now and it's pretty drat good. $400 was burning a hole in my pocket so I picked up the 3D world bundle along with Bayonetta 2. I loved Bayonetta 1 and I didn't even know there was a sequel until the chick at Gamestop pointed it out and said I'd probably like It and boy was she right. It's definitely one of the best Wii U games out there. My game collection grew pretty rapidly as I've picked up Wind Waker, MK8, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Bros Wii U + Luigi U, & Kirby's Rainbow Curse. I kinda regret not playing through Bayonetta 1 again before selling it and I never tried the multiplayer mode either. Smash 4 was ok, I just cannot get the controls down for poo poo and I suck extremely hard because of it. I was a huge fan of Brawl and actually pretty decent at it but I cannot figure out 4 for poo poo. Every game I own is good and should keep me busy until something comes out on PS4 I just have to have. Maybe Batman will make be get a PS4, every game coming out this year I can just buy a copy for my 360 and it'll suffice. Also gently caress Donkey Kong, that game is too loving difficult.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

best miiverse integration out of any wii u title

Windwaker HD would like to have a word with you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

More like Shenpoo

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bean posted:

We're really stretching the cute meme here

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Kewpuh posted:

the best game on the wii u is zombi u if you disagree get hosed

It isn't the best game on it but gently caress if "semi roguelike survival horror" wasn't one of the reasons I picked up a WiiU at launch.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Bean posted:

After careful reconsideration I have revised my list.

*Mario Kart 8
*Smash Bros Wii U
*Hyrule Warriors
*Captain Toad: Treasure Captain
*Bayonetta 1
*Bayonetta 2
*Earthbound

There, now everybody is happy...

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
edit: I did NOT double post; the server messed up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kewpuh posted:

the best game on the wii u is zombi u if you disagree get hosed

It really sucks the sequel got cancelled.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Commissar Ken posted:

It isn't the best game on it but gently caress if "semi roguelike survival horror" wasn't one of the reasons I picked up a WiiU at launch.

It's hard to believe only a few short years ago that idea didn't make me want to vomit

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Spectacle Rock posted:

*Mario Kart 8
*Smash Bros Wii U
*Hyrule Warriors
*Bayonetta 1
*Bayonetta 2
*Earthbound

Except for the fact I've already posted proof that #1 is SM3DW and you didn't even include it.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Spectacle Rock posted:

*Mario Kart 8
*Smash Bros Wii U
*Hyrule Warriors
*Bayonetta 1
*Bayonetta 2
*Earthbound

How dare you forget Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Lego City Undercover is also pretty good but everyone tends to forget about it.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Davinci posted:

Lego City Undercover is also pretty good but everyone tends to forget about it.

Everyone is too busy staring at a loading screen to form an opinion.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Except for the fact I've already posted proof that #1 is SM3DW and you didn't even include it.

I honestly think NSMBU is better than 3DW.

Actually I think NSMBU is better than 3DW, 3DL, any other New title, the Galaxies, Sunshine, and...

I might think NSMBU is the best Mario game ever.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

kater posted:

I honestly think NSMBU is better than 3DW.

Actually I think NSMBU is better than 3DW, 3DL, any other New title, the Galaxies, Sunshine, and...

I might think NSMBU is the best Mario game ever.

Yes, that's your opinion. Great. I posted the general consensus of reviewers and people like you. #1 is SM3DW. Maybe you could go vote it down and something else would be #1, but you are only one vote so your single opinion doesn't really mean much.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

So I ended up buying the 32GB refurbished model from Nintendo.

Is the Wii U Pro controller the go to controller if I don't want to use the big video screen controller? Or can I get a cheaper standard dual stick style controller?

edit: didn't see controller recommendations in the op.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yes. The pro is the way to go.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yoshi's Island is the best Mario game

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

threeagainstfour posted:

So I ended up buying the 32GB refurbished model from Nintendo.

Is the Wii U Pro controller the go to controller if I don't want to use the big video screen controller? Or can I get a cheaper standard dual stick style controller?

edit: didn't see controller recommendations in the op.

The pro is probably the best controller I've ever used.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

robot roll call posted:

The pro is probably the best controller I've ever used.

It feels like it's meant to be in my hands. I actually love the design of the gamepad too, but the pro is almost magical. The battery lasts forever, but they throw in the longest cable I've ever seen included with a controller just to be even more awesome.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Finally got around to playing Tropical Freeze and nearly every level is glorious. Everything just works so well, it is an incredibly designed game that has completely blown me away. I'm about halfway through world 4, but it keeps surprising me, provides great challenges and is a total blast.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yoshi's Island is a really great deconstruction of the basics of a platformer, but it leans a bit too heavily on COLLECT ALL THE poo poo. There's something about the relative purity of mario 3 or world that speaks to me on a more intuitive level.

Regarding the WiiU, I've had mine since last summer. I had finally landed my first post-college full time job and had an extra 200 bucks, so why not? With the exception of the NHL series, I pretty much never buy games anywhere near full price. I play them, beat them, and return them.

I now somehow own Nintendoland, Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze, 3d World, Smash, and Mario Party 10. And they're all goddamn great games.

Really, my only real complaint is that I really wish Mario Kart 8 had a grand prix option online. Repeat stakes-less races against randoms gets old after a while.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You know, I like 3D World as much as the next guy, but honestly I'd love it if they went back and made a sequel to Mario 64. Ever since Galaxy they've been trimming down Mario's moveset, to the point where now 3D World has no triple jump, no dive jump (and thus no belly slide), you can only move in eight directions, and you have to hold a button to run. Compared to the quick, easy and fun acrobatics displayed in that video, newer Mario's are slower, more linear and more rigid in how many options you have to get through an area.

Man watching a skilled player play Mario 64 is like watching Super Mario Parkour. It's great.

Aside from the incredible number of moves Mario has, the mission-based gameplay has been absent from a lot of the subsequent Mario games. I liked how it set you loose in an open level with a few words as a hint for where the star was.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You know, I like 3D World as much as the next guy, but honestly I'd love it if they went back and made a sequel to Mario 64. Ever since Galaxy they've been trimming down Mario's moveset, to the point where now 3D World has no triple jump, no dive jump (and thus no belly slide), you can only move in eight directions, and you have to hold a button to run. Compared to the quick, easy and fun acrobatics displayed in that video, newer Mario's are slower, more linear and more rigid in how many options you have to get through an area.

You kids and your fancy moves. Back in my day, all we had was run and jump and well like it.

Also why would you ever need triple jump, Luigi and Rosalina take care of that height just fine. And if that not enough you can also spin jump like in Sunshine and get even more height, wall jump, somersault, or roll/long jump.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Jarogue posted:

Also why would you ever need triple jump

The triple jump is just "fun" and something that is supposed to happen as a reward for being able to run and press A three times in succession at the proper moments.

Imagine if Yoshi didn't make his "zip" noise when you sit on him, or if he didn't use his tongue to eat stuff. The triple jump has been in every (almost every?) other 3D Mario game.

It isn't the end of the world without it, but I like the triple jump. You don't get to use it that often, but it is there like a good neighbor.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Spectacle Rock posted:

The triple jump is just "fun" and something that is supposed to happen as a reward for being able to run and press A three times in succession at the proper moments.

Imagine if Yoshi didn't make his "zip" noise when you sit on him, or if he didn't use his tongue to eat stuff. The triple jump has been in every (almost every?) other 3D Mario game.

It isn't the end of the world without it, but I like the triple jump. You don't get to use it that often, but it is there like a good neighbor.

But from a gameplay design it would will be completely useless since most of the levels are more based horizontal then vertical. And even when it is vertical there not enough space to really do it. Also that would make Peach or Luigi really broken or Rosalina's ability or the super bell seem useless.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

I've had my Wii U for a month now and it's pretty drat good. $400 was burning a hole in my pocket so I picked up the 3D world bundle along with Bayonetta 2. I loved Bayonetta 1 and I didn't even know there was a sequel until the chick at Gamestop pointed it out and said I'd probably like It and boy was she right. It's definitely one of the best Wii U games out there. My game collection grew pretty rapidly as I've picked up Wind Waker, MK8, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Bros Wii U + Luigi U, & Kirby's Rainbow Curse. I kinda regret not playing through Bayonetta 1 again before selling it and I never tried the multiplayer mode either. Smash 4 was ok, I just cannot get the controls down for poo poo and I suck extremely hard because of it. I was a huge fan of Brawl and actually pretty decent at it but I cannot figure out 4 for poo poo. Every game I own is good and should keep me busy until something comes out on PS4 I just have to have. Maybe Batman will make be get a PS4, every game coming out this year I can just buy a copy for my 360 and it'll suffice. Also gently caress Donkey Kong, that game is too loving difficult.
You can remap all controls in Smash 4.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jarogue posted:

But from a gameplay design it would will be completely useless since most of the levels are more based horizontal then vertical. And even when it is vertical there not enough space to really do it. Also that would make Peach or Luigi really broken or Rosalina's ability or the super bell seem useless.

Those are design elements too, so they'd all be considered together...no one is suggesting just adding in the triple jump.

Wait. I am.

Just the third jump where he flips and goes WA HOOOO! It doesn't even have to be a bigger than normal jump, just a different one that makes you happy to have done it.

There. I improved SM3DW.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I said come in! posted:

You are not alone!

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Nintendo just posted on their Instagram that there's a direct coming tomorrow, 3 PM pacific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

There's no way the Treehouse Live afterwards isn't gonna be a solid hour of Splatoon

• Locked thread