Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well, re-selling ships is possible if you find that you like Armada that much more over X-Wing that you don't see yourself playing X-Wing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
One thing I see about Armada is that I think there will be less cases of getting multiple copies of a ship. Two tops, I don't think I'll get three of anything. In X-Wing, you could spend 80-90 bucks easily on a swarmy list, which is just about the same price point as two Armada ships and a fighter pack. You pay a bit more for the core set, definitely, but what you get is also physically larger.

It's not breaking my bank to expand into both.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friend agreed to buy enough armada for 2 players as long as I continue the same with x-wing. We'll borrow each other's stuff.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

My friend agreed to buy enough armada for 2 players as long as I continue the same with x-wing. We'll borrow each other's stuff.

Your symbiotic relationship is the model I would like to replicate considering how I already own a bunch of x wing.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

That sounds cool and fun, would you mind positing your build? I snagged a second Defender too (and a second Phantom) because of this thread and I've been stealing goon builds lately and adding them to Squad Builder. That way I can experiment with fun spaceship teams and cut my teeth on a variety of different styles.

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Weapons Engineer (3)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Colonel Vessery (35)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Total: 98

I ran a 100pt version with FCS on the Lambda which is effective but it's more important to win the initiative bid so Fel can work his magic.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's pretty much what I ran on my first tournament: I think I had AdSensors on the Shuttle though (and maybe EU as well, since the Autos weren't available then). I won 2, lost 3 which was alright for my first tournament. It was a fun list to fly but there were lists out there which shut it down hard. Still a decent list, might be better with phantom changes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

soulfulspinster posted:

Your symbiotic relationship is the model I would like to replicate considering how I already own a bunch of x wing.
Thank you, namaste. Games should be shared. I have a similar arrangement with another friend's board games and my magic legacy decks lol.
Do you have a sibling or significant other that might want such a beneficial arrangement?

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

You shouldn't be doing anything with fluorine.
So I spent my 'food other than Ramen' budget on on the Most Wanted box, and have come up with this list.

*Kavil 24
-Blaster Turret 4
-R4 Agromech 4
-Marksmanship 3
-Adv. Proton Torpedos 6
-Munitions Failsafe 1

*Dace Bonearm 23
-K4 Security Droid 3
-Ion Cannon Turret 5

Black Sun Soldier 13

Black Sun Soldier 13

Totes: 99

Kavil's a bit fat points wise but he's sure to hit like a hammer - He's tossing 4 dice+target lock against things outside his firing arch, and if any poor fucker gets within range 1 in his front, the Marksman+Adv. Torpedo seems nasty on paper. Dace Bonearm's main job is lining up that Adv. Proton Tordedo killshot and other general ion cannon fuckery,

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Thank you, namaste. Games should be shared. I have a similar arrangement with another friend's board games and my magic legacy decks lol.
Do you have a sibling or significant other that might want such a beneficial arrangement?

Unfortunately my local x wing group consists of all the local wargamers that I know of. However, I'm glad to be able to find games every other week.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I am super new and terrible and just playing around with some builds for casual games. Any thoughts here?

Han Solo (46)
Determination (1)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R2-F2 (3)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Flechette Cannon (2)

Total: 100

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CelestialScribe posted:

I am super new and terrible and just playing around with some builds for casual games. Any thoughts here?

Han Solo (46)
Determination (1)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R2-F2 (3)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Flechette Cannon (2)

Total: 100

R2-F2 is tough because it requires an action. You might consider dropping Determination and throwing R2-D2 on Biggs instead.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Idly wondering; Now the Title exists, can we build a solid list around the 'Dogfighter' Y-Wing, with it's surprising amount of firepower? Something like a Core pilot of...

quote:

“Dutch” Vander (35)
Y-Wing (23), BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0), R7-T1 (3), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Engine Upgrade (4)

...with other ships focussing on damage output to score points quickly. Obviously the Turret is to taste, but I can't see Autoblaster being good as it's still a Y-Wing, that's going to struggle to get people into Arc at Range 1.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

it's certainly possible as Scum with agromechs

Rebels, not really at all

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The Sisko posted:

I just got 2 Agressors yesterday and I'm looking forward to playing with them tommorow. What do you guys think of this list? I'm having trouble deciding between C and D.

IG-88B — Aggressor
Push the Limit
Advanced Sensors
Ion Cannon
Inertial Dampeners
Autothrusters
IG-2000

IG-88C — Aggressor
Push the Limit
Advanced Sensors
Ion Cannon
Inertial Dampeners
Autothrusters
IG-2000

I have run a similar list a few times. Be really careful with asteroid placement at the start of game. Unlike Han and you can't fly around and shoot people with a turret, and unlike Dash you can't just ignore the terrain. My biggest issues in all my games with 2x Aggressor is dealing with asteroids. Because you need to get guys in your forward arc you are going to have to fly about like a normal ship, but that fat rear end will cause you problems unless you constantly take it into account.

It is a lot of fun though and a nice change of pace I find.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
100 points

PILOTS
Darth Vader (32)
TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Stealth Device (3), Accuracy Corrector (3)

Black Squadron Pilot (17) x 4
TIE Fighter (14), Predator (3)

Sometimes it's the simple things in life.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

contagonist posted:

So I spent my 'food other than Ramen' budget on on the Most Wanted box, and have come up with this list.

*Kavil 24
-Blaster Turret 4
-R4 Agromech 4
-Marksmanship 3
-Adv. Proton Torpedos 6
-Munitions Failsafe 1

*Dace Bonearm 23
-K4 Security Droid 3
-Ion Cannon Turret 5

Black Sun Soldier 13

Black Sun Soldier 13

Totes: 99

Kavil's a bit fat points wise but he's sure to hit like a hammer - He's tossing 4 dice+target lock against things outside his firing arch, and if any poor fucker gets within range 1 in his front, the Marksman+Adv. Torpedo seems nasty on paper. Dace Bonearm's main job is lining up that Adv. Proton Tordedo killshot and other general ion cannon fuckery,

Couple things I see right off the bat: R4 agromech isn't 4 points. Also, Marksman is not a good idea with the R4, since you need to have an actual focus token. Marksman doesn't count for that. You'd be better off with another ept instead that helps your main guns as well.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

ProfessorCurly posted:

100 points

PILOTS
Darth Vader (32)
TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Stealth Device (3), Accuracy Corrector (3)

Black Squadron Pilot (17) x 4
TIE Fighter (14), Predator (3)

Sometimes it's the simple things in life.

A shelf with 4 TIE Defenders on it?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shockeh posted:

Idly wondering; Now the Title exists, can we build a solid list around the 'Dogfighter' Y-Wing, with it's surprising amount of firepower? Something like a Core pilot of...

...with other ships focussing on damage output to score points quickly. Obviously the Turret is to taste, but I can't see Autoblaster being good as it's still a Y-Wing, that's going to struggle to get people into Arc at Range 1.

I used Kavil Saturday with an autoblaster turret, PtL, engine upgrade and unhinged astro and he was really awesome.

Took out Whisper in one shot, blew the stealth devices off of A-wings or generally got people to avoid him because of the autoblaster. Kavil is the best Y-wing ever.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

This really is the most ridiculous thing about this game, and it kills me that they don't just sell the cards. It would literally be printing money.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
They're 3-D printing money by making you buy the ships too. :v:

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
But I'm not going to do that, I'm only going to buy a ship I want and maybe get a few cards from ebay if I want a tournament squad. Let me give you my money FFG. They can literally have their cake and eat it too. Up-price the ships because of the cards, so you're charging more for the same product to people who were going to buy the ship, and then capture the secondary market of people who wanted the cards but not the ship. Capture all that consumer surplus, turn it into sweet, sweet profits.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

There aren't THAT many cards to warrant FFG producing little upgrade card booster packs or for them to even attempt selling them on their own IMHO.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

AndyElusive posted:

There aren't THAT many cards to warrant FFG producing little upgrade card booster packs or for them to even attempt selling them on their own IMHO.

Yeah there loving are, especially since that would be a great deal to make you buy a $15 booster of random upgrades for the one or two new ones they add that are good.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
There really aren't. Predator, Tie Advanced /x1, Advanced Targeting Computer...maybe Advanced Sensors back when it only came in Lambdas? Accuracy Corrector, except it comes in 2 of the 4 Scum ships?

Also, yeah, let's turn X-wing into M:TG, that sounds awesome. Can't wait.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I can just about fill up one 4 pocket ultra pro with pilot cards from all three factions and that's with stacking duplicates.

Upgrade cards barely fill up half of one book and that's putting 2 cards to a single card slot. The only expansions I don't have are Tantive and Transport.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'll take em ifn you don't want em

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Engine Upgrade is the one that I think really ought to come in something other than the Falcon. Then again, you get 2 and most people are going to end up buying the YT-1300 anyway.

I'd be pretty pissed if ship + card expansion prices started going up in order to subsidize card only packs.

At the end of the day, I think it's a pretty small slice of the market that both 1.) plays tournaments and therefore can't proxy cards and 2.) isn't buying at least one of everything. Those folks largely seem content to go to eBay, trade with friends or whatever to get what they need.

Would I like to see card only packs? Sure, why not(from the consumer perspective)?

Does it seem like it'd be a huge money maker for FFG and they're shooting themselves in the foot by not doing it? Not particularly.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
I am new to the game, and while this thread has given me a lot of really good advice I am still struggling to get my imperial fleet up and running.

Currently i have the standard box plus a phantom, tie interceptor, and a decimator.

I am not looking to running larger games then 100, but I am struggling to see if there is anything to round out the current ships/cards I have.

Any suggestions? From what I have gathered from this thread it seems I need at least a tie advanced at least vader. I have also considered the Imperial Aces box, would that be unreasonable?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Biaga posted:

I am new to the game, and while this thread has given me a lot of really good advice I am still struggling to get my imperial fleet up and running.

Currently i have the standard box plus a phantom, tie interceptor, and a decimator.

I am not looking to running larger games then 100, but I am struggling to see if there is anything to round out the current ships/cards I have.

Any suggestions? From what I have gathered from this thread it seems I need at least a tie advanced at least vader. I have also considered the Imperial Aces box, would that be unreasonable?

Aces is good if you're enjoying the Interceptor. Buying an Advanced is probably not a great idea unless you know for sure you're going to buy the upcoming Imperial Raider huge ship (MSRP $100) which contains the cards you'll need to make it really viable for any kind of use.

Buying another TIE Fighter is good because it has some nice pilots in the box. Firesprays are also good (and usable should you decide to play Scum later on as well).

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

overdesigned posted:

Aces is good if you're enjoying the Interceptor. Buying an Advanced is probably not a great idea unless you know for sure you're going to buy the upcoming Imperial Raider huge ship (MSRP $100) which contains the cards you'll need to make it really viable for any kind of use.

Buying another TIE Fighter is good because it has some nice pilots in the box. Firesprays are also good (and usable should you decide to play Scum later on as well).

As it happens, I have enjoyed the phantom the most so far.

I will pick up another Tie fighter, I have heard fielding a few is always a good idea and an easy way to compensate for spare points.

What about the tie bomber/defender?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Irom posted:

I'll take em ifn you don't want em

I'll take one just to have a model of the Defender.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Biaga posted:

As it happens, I have enjoyed the phantom the most so far.

I will pick up another Tie fighter, I have heard fielding a few is always a good idea and an easy way to compensate for spare points.

What about the tie bomber/defender?

They are both fun to fly, but neither are very good for tournaments and the like. The bomber kind of requires too much ordinance to be really useful, and without Munitions Failsafe (which comes with Rebel Aces) it can be a really hit or miss think. The Defender is a lot of fun to fly, but is really over priced, on par with the big ships without the benefit of having the big ships durability.

With that said, if you do not plan on tournaments, i say go for them , whichever you want first, because they both can be a blast to fly.

actually, the defender comes with the Predator EPS, so get that one first.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bombers are really good in epic-scale games. They are pretty resilient and can pack a lot of punch and the abilities on their pilots are pretty good (Jonus is basically a howlrunner for secondary weapons).

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jonus and two bomber wingmen with cluster missiles is a bad day for a Deci build. (unless you blow all 18 rolls... :smith:)

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

It's really endearing to hear you guys complain about the cards not being available separately, it's like you guys have never played an FFG product before. :3:
In other news, Scum (and Kavil) are the greatest thing since blue milk. I am really loving the S&V faction, it feels like more ruthless rebels.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Madurai posted:

Jonus and two bomber wingmen with cluster missiles is a bad day for a Deci build. (unless you blow all 18 rolls... :smith:)

It's up to 26 rolls, isn't it? Don't do that.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Are Bombers good now? I love the model but have never used it or seen anyone else use it.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I really like the TIE bomber but haven't found it very useful so far. I even bought a second one a while back and rarely ever fly them. My recent experiences with the BTL y-wings sporting ion cannons has convinced me to try running a pair of the TIE bombers with ion pulse missiles and other junk to try and run up from a flank and ruin someone's maneuvers in the middle of a game, but haven't tried it yet.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Anyone tried a Starviper with the Virago title to any success? I want to give it a go but I am worried it is too many points into one fragile ship. It is weird that they don't get Illicit equipment without the title, out of all the ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

Anyone tried a Starviper with the Virago title to any success? I want to give it a go but I am worried it is too many points into one fragile ship. It is weird that they don't get Illicit equipment without the title, out of all the ships.

I tried it with a Ad Sensors, Predator, Dampeners equipped Guri. Paired it with Torkil and some Hot Shot 95s to decent results.

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...15:-1,113:-1:7:

• Locked thread