Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Mike Pucillo, 3 time All American and 2008 NCAA Champion for Ohio State came out publicly earlier this week. The response has actually been less terrible than I thought it would be when I first read about it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Just got back from the UGA Spring Open, where despite the fact that I just showed up to watch the superfights I wound up reffing four divisions, because grappling tournaments. Eddie Cummings' opponent pulled out after he came all the way down from Queens, and Garry beat Mansher Khera, one of Marcelo Garcia's brown belts, by points in an ADCC rules superfight that had his corner bitching wildly at the end (his corner being other guys from Marcelo's gym; Marcelo himself wasn't there).

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

fatherdog posted:

Cummings' opponent pulled out after he came all the way

Yeah I was just reading something about a rivalry between Danis and Tonon based on a brief instagram conversation, I'd definitely like to see that match go down, money's on Garry

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

A Wry Smile posted:

Yeah I was just reading something about a rivalry between Danis and Tonon based on a brief instagram conversation, I'd definitely like to see that match go down, money's on Garry

You probably won't see it because Danis is apparently Metamoris exclusive now.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

That's a bummer, these exclusive contracts just seem like they're bad for everyone

Hey the Tonon Khera match is up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD4ytY0cFE4

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5qWV6kbggs
Marcelo Garcia training takedowns with Johny Hendricks

Is it common to practice so close to other people like this? Seems like an injury waiting to happen if you trip over someone behind you.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
In a lot of gyms practice does look like this and yeah people get injured all the time because of it. I think Jones got injured last summer because he tripped over Overeem or something

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

1st AD posted:

In a lot of gyms practice does look like this and yeah people get injured all the time because of it. I think Jones got injured last summer because he tripped over Overeem or something

Cruz got injure when some other guys crashed into him, Jones was actually training with overeem

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Oh poo poo I mixed those up.

Didn't the same poo poo happen to Rashad before the Shogun fight?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

It wouldn't surprise me, in my bjj gym were taught if we're sitting on the mat to never have our arms extended bracing us up in case someone crashes into them

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

And Quarry, I think, on TUF1

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Is it common to practice so close to other people like this? Seems like an injury waiting to happen if you trip over someone behind you.

At my judo club the space we have is pretty small and when we do randori and drills we end up being that close. Well, it'S not quite as crowded but it's close and we do much higher amplitude throws. No one has ever been injured by it yet. I did receive a foot to the stomach and such on one or two occasions in the many years I've been training. But mostly you try to be aware of what is going on around you and don't go for a throw if you think you might fall on people. It's not that dangerous. People get hurt in judo, but usually because of a lovely throw/fall. The risk of people falling on you is much much smaller in my opinion.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 29, 2015

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
I have had it happen in wrestling more, not even two practices back after recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery a pair guys crashed into our area jacked my ankle up with a bad sprain when they landed on it.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I love how it looks like the single leg is working really well on Marcelo but then you see how he lands in butterfly guard every time. And taking down Marcelo just to land in his butterfly guard does not seem like a win to me.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Generally Marcelo seems to do an impressive job of controlling the distance when he rolls near other people, and they usually just reset to an open spot when they bump into something. I suspect that's part of the reason Marcelo's not putting up as much of a fight against Hendricks' takedowns as you might expect (or working too hard to finish his own): dropping to seated guard lets him control the distance and keep his base the same as trying to stay standing and hopping around on one leg, but without the risk of potentially falling over someone and causing an injury.

E: Not trying to discount Hendricks' size and wrestling skills of course

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 29, 2015

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

always be closing posted:

Uhh how about Cyborg v Barnett? Rip catch wrasslin.

Cyborg is a catch wrestler. You all are if you train BJJ. The Gracies were taught by Judoka and Catch Wrestler Mistuyo Maeda. Then they took credit for the existence of nature and called it "Gracie Nature" which is basically just nature with pajamas and watermelon juice.

But I got Barnett by ring out.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I've been training there for a few months and this is literally the first time I've seen anyone there do any kind of stand-up.

widunder
May 2, 2002

quote:

A third important update is the prohibition of the jump to put the opponent in closed guard in the white belt division.

Congratulations IBJJF, this will make the white belt matches a lot of fun.

http://www.graciemag.com/2015/03/ibjjf-rules-update-no-more-advantages-in-the-5050-guard-see-other-itens-altered/

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

IBJJF: "This will this help to encourage better takedowns at white belt level!" *shifts nervously as the audience slowly butt scoots forward*

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BRB, entering every IBJJF tournament I can before I get my blue.

Edit:

quote:

Also in the new series of updates is the prohibition of the suplex takedown that lands the athlete on his/her head or neck.

Well, that's some bullshit. Not my fault some people don't know how to fall.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Uhh I'm pretty sure suplexing someone on their head/neck was already very illegal in IBJJF, unless they're saying you can't suplex yourself on your head/neck

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
is it still legal to act like you are jumping to butterfly guard but really just kicking the guy in the dick with both feet? asking for a friend

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Thoguh posted:

drat sandbagger! :argh:

Actually have a funny story about sandbagging from over the weekend. IBJJF Chicago open was this weekend. Great fun. I competed and got destroyed in my first match. Got to see the Miyao bros. compete in person (including Joao vs. Megaton Dias). Anyway, one of my training partners is a white belt with under a year of training in her first tournament, and she did fantastic, winning her first two matches and making it to the finals. She gets absolutely dominated in the finals. But then one of the teammates of this girl who beat her says to one of our teammates "Oh don't feel bad, she's been wrestling for 20 years." They seemed unaware that this makes her ineligible to compete at white belt. So we complained and she was dqed and our girl was awarded the gold. Then it got funnier when we googled the opponents name and found out she had two pro MMA fights from several years ago. And then we looked her up on Facebook and saw that her cover photo was her standing with Richie and Geo Martinez with a blue belt draped around her neck. Apparently she thought that because she was a 10th planet blue belt and never trained with the gi she could compete at white belt in the IBJJF.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Side Control defense/escapes - anyone have a preferred/"go to" method?

Lately I always end up rolling with this one beast of a dude who probably has 30lbs on me even though we're the same height, and I can stuff his attempts for awhile but eventually, inevitably, he smashes through my guard and gets side control. I've never been able to do anything but try to play guard against him - I just can't get to a better position the past 10 times.

So clearly I need to beef up either my side control defense and/or practice some good escapes to try and counter this immovable object trying to choke the life out of me.

I scramble as fast as I can to shrimp and get my knees in place but he just keeps pushing around them and after a minute of going in circles I gas out and he just gets comfortable.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Master the turtle guard.

"The turtle can bite"

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

TollTheHounds posted:

Side Control defense/escapes - anyone have a preferred/"go to" method?

Lately I always end up rolling with this one beast of a dude who probably has 30lbs on me even though we're the same height, and I can stuff his attempts for awhile but eventually, inevitably, he smashes through my guard and gets side control. I've never been able to do anything but try to play guard against him - I just can't get to a better position the past 10 times.

So clearly I need to beef up either my side control defense and/or practice some good escapes to try and counter this immovable object trying to choke the life out of me.

I scramble as fast as I can to shrimp and get my knees in place but he just keeps pushing around them and after a minute of going in circles I gas out and he just gets comfortable.

If he's a beast with 30 pounds on you playing guard is probably not going to help you as much as being aggressive from the start about not losing position. How's his guard and can you force him to play it?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Odds are you are always going to struggle with him. Sorry, but 30 pounds is a lot if you both are not giant heavyweight. Obviously you can / should use the challenge to get better but if you're both training at about the same rate he's going to be improving too. Unless you hit the grocery store and the gym he's going to hold that advantage.

I say this as a lighter guy that often has to remind myself of what is reasonable and to not get too down on myself when I'm stuck under dudes that are more physical than me.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

always be closing posted:

Master the turtle guard.

"The turtle can bite"

I do need to get better at Turtle, I keep thinking I might be able to sweep and then end up rolling and completely giving up my back. :unsmith:

I never even get to turtle against this dude though - he always gets me in side control.

Carborundum posted:

If he's a beast with 30 pounds on you playing guard is probably not going to help you as much as being aggressive from the start about not losing position. How's his guard and can you force him to play it?

I agree- obviously ideally I would just be more aggressive and not even give him a chance but frankly I think he's just better than me and bigger to boot. I've never taken him down standing and if we start from knees I literally can't move him - it's like trying to get an advantageous position on a gorilla. I think I've been in his guard maybe twice and he ends up trying to triangle (or arm bar when I don't let him get it ) which sometimes I get out of by rolling over my head and sometimes not.

Xguard86 posted:

Odds are you are always going to struggle with him. Sorry, but 30 pounds is a lot if you both are not giant heavyweight. Obviously you can / should use the challenge to get better but if you're both training at about the same rate he's going to be improving too. Unless you hit the grocery store and the gym he's going to hold that advantage.

I say this as a lighter guy that often has to remind myself of what is reasonable and to not get too down on myself when I'm stuck under dudes that are more physical than me.

I'm sure it will always be a struggle which is fine - I was just trying to think of a good way to get out of side control since I'm not confident I'll be able to prevent him from getting there regularly. I mean I like to think I'm in pretty good shape but I just haven't been rolling long enough to get a big gas tank and since I'm still such a newb I definitely use too much energy. I'm 205 and he says he's 230-235 and I don't think that extra 30 is fat so it's always going to be an uphill battle for me. But for doing drills and technique it's great because we're the same height-ish ( 6'2 - 6'3 ) and that's always been a challenge for me since everyone else at my level at my gym is <6'.

I suppose I could just try and distract him by going for something cheap like lapel chokes and poo poo when he starts to pass, or get better at my guard game in the first place.

Mind you this is mostly a problem if we roll a few rounds in. If we roll in the first round I have enough energy that we often get into a stalemate but he's still clearly got the advantage - I mean if we were scoring he'd definitely have won.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
If you have crazy flexibility, there are attack options from bottom side, but it sounds like you're both huge so maybe not.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Don't just give up on guard retention and resign yourself to playing defense from the bottom of side control. Start by identifying the pass he's using, then figure out how use it to your advantage. Standard guardplay rules apply: Control the hands, control the distance, don't be afraid to post behind you and/or scoot back if he's crowding you, have a plan in mind so you're not just sitting there hoping he'll present you with something, and a backup plan in case he derails your first attack.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
and why are lapel chokes "cheap"?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

They're not people just like to cry about them because they either don't control hands properly get suckered into giving them up. I'm not a fan of them but they're part of the game.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

BlindSite posted:

They're not people just like to cry about them because they either don't control hands properly get suckered into giving them up. I'm not a fan of them but they're part of the game.

They are part of the base of any good guard game in my opinion. If you don't threaten with lapel chokes ever at all you're giving so many more options to your opponent. It's such a good way to open people up and distract them.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

When guys have a super tight/heavy side control I usually wait for them to move or to advance and then use that space to get to guard or st least to my knees.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

KingColliwog posted:

They are part of the base of any good guard game in my opinion. If you don't threaten with lapel chokes ever at all you're giving so many more options to your opponent. It's such a good way to open people up and distract them.

Yeah the threat of a choke can turn a guy working a pass into a guy only worrying about protecting his neck

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

Who considers them 'cheap'?

It can be annoying and counterproductive when people don't have them set up properly and just try to yank on your lapels until their arms fall off, but setup and used properly they're no more cheap than any other gi specific technique.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

A really properly applied lapel choke is a thing of beauty, because it doesn't hurt or really feel all that uncomfortable so you think you're fine, but then suddenly you start to feel fuzzy and everything starts to go black and you realize you need to tap.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Thoguh posted:

Edit:

Well, that's some bullshit. Not my fault some people don't know how to fall.

Have they changed the rule where if I'm an idiot and get picked up out of an armbar and I hold on like a moron and then the guy shrugs and shucks me off and my weak little pencil legs can't hold on and I fall off on my head because I don't know how to fall he gets DQed for slamming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Have they changed the rule where if I'm an idiot and get picked up out of an armbar and I hold on like a moron and then the guy shrugs and shucks me off and my weak little pencil legs can't hold on and I fall off on my head because I don't know how to fall he gets DQed for slamming?

So, you got DQ'ed?