Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I want to stand next to the serrac, and eat ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

midnightclimax posted:

I want to stand next to the serrac, and eat ice cream.

I wanna drink Cîroc under the serrac.

At least to the bottleneck! :v:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Is that K2: Siren doc available online anywhere? I think it's the only one I haven't seen yet and I don't have netflix. :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I don't have netflix. :(

I don't understand what this sentence means.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

It looks like it is going all the way into space.
That must be amazing to view in person but I would die long before reaching it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm kinda surprised there isn't a lot of good gopro footage of people falling off mountains.

Like they're climbling and the ice just comes away from the wall and you just get to see a 10+ second fall in first person

wonder if people woudl be quiet or like "WAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHH"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fabricated posted:

I'm kinda surprised there isn't a lot of good gopro footage of people falling off mountains.

Like they're climbling and the ice just comes away from the wall and you just get to see a 10+ second fall in first person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QliBL-AQiAY

People tend to make a yelp when they start falling, but then shut up until they hit poo poo.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

GunnarHelmudsson posted:

The bit where the ice falling kills Rolf Bae right next to his wife is loving horrifying though.

That's the most hosed up thing. He did everything right, turned around when he realized he couldn't make the summit, was all set to descend safely and then died from sheer bad luck. At least with Everest, as long as you're a qualified mountaineer and don't get cocky you'll probably be fine; K2 will just kill you for no loving reason.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Fabricated posted:

almost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmXmOpwdstE

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
this sort of counts but unfortunately its base jumping and the footage is from the person watching someone else fall hundreds of feet to a Wile E Coyote style landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4JFBN3WSls

Guy lived apparently.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I thought for sure one of the other responses would be this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9asPhyC6H4

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Is that K2: Siren doc available online anywhere? I think it's the only one I haven't seen yet and I don't have netflix. :(

I DO have Netflix, but only poo poo UK Netflix which is rubbish and doesn't have a good selection of movies or TV compared to proper American Netflix.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Fatkraken posted:

I DO have Netflix, but only poo poo UK Netflix which is rubbish and doesn't have a good selection of movies or TV compared to proper American Netflix.

Just use a vpn

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Fatkraken posted:

unblock-us.com, 1 week free trial, works like a charm

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

elwood posted:

unblock-us.com, 1 week free trial, works like a charm

Hola Better Internet Extension for Chrome

Free forever. Works in three clicks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

VegasShirtGuy posted:

I thought for sure one of the other responses would be this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9asPhyC6H4

ahahahahah

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Wasabi the J posted:

If you are using a browser sure, if you want to watch on TV I would use unblock-us.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah, Hola is the tits.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone climb that?

"Because it's there", I guess?

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Fatkraken posted:

Same but with a lovely Dutch selection, I'd use a VPN but afaik the linux build on my raspberry still can't deal with the netflix DRM so it's all pretty useless.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone climb that?
The challenge.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

skander posted:

The challenge.

Challenges are overcome by skill, if your activity of choice will murder you completely at random even if you have done everything absolutely correctly you are just dumb as gently caress

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

TheChaosPath posted:

Challenges are overcome by skill, if your activity of choice will murder you completely at random even if you have done everything absolutely correctly you are just dumb as gently caress

Some people like to take risks.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Many activities can murder you completely at random even if you've done everything absolutely correctly.

K2 is a terrifying mountain of death but I don't get nearly as much schadenfreude out of watching people die on it because the people who try to climb it are at least people who care about climbing mountains, versus Everest where most everyone up there is a retard bucket-lister who only wants to summit so they can take a picture and make a tweet about "woo made it to the top #summit #everest #yolo" and brag about it back home to pretend to be interesting.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
are there any good documentaries on YouTube about these crazy mountain people?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

are there any good documentaries on YouTube about these crazy mountain people?

I have an Everest playlist with some stuff on it here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCCDlK-WW0A

If anybody wants to make suggestions/additions let me know of course, sharing is caring (except if you are an Italian on K2 in a snowstorm)

edit- How the hell do you just link the URL to the playlist? Every time I copy and paste it it automatically makes it a video that can't play. Sort of fixed it but Id still like to know

Rondette fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 1, 2015

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Jonad posted:

That's the most hosed up thing. He did everything right, turned around when he realized he couldn't make the summit, was all set to descend safely and then died from sheer bad luck. At least with Everest, as long as you're a qualified mountaineer and don't get cocky you'll probably be fine; K2 will just kill you for no loving reason.

No, pretty much every mountain will kill you for no reason. Plenty of people get crushed under massive seracs when climbing Everest too. Plenty of "qualified" mountaineers have died on Everest of HAPE/HACE etc as well.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Fabricated posted:

When I realized I was going over, I said surprisingly calmly "oh my god" then was silent for the rest of it.

Here's an interesting read about a guy who was in one of the worst avalanche accidents in Canadian history:

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/buried-alive-an-avalanche-survivor-breaks-his-silence/

In 2003, 7 students from a Calgary school were killed in an avalanche on a routine ski field trip. One of my profs at school is friends with the teacher of that class, and she talks about how hard it's been for him to be scrutinized so harshly for something that wasn't his fault. It's not like you expect a 2600 foot wide avalanche to barrel into the bottom of the valley in relatively safe conditions. It's a shame that this incident had all but killed all back country trips for students here for some time. I got to teach map and compass skills to a bunch of Grade 9 students last fall in preparation for their trip out to Vancouver Island to backpack the West Coast Trail. I truly believe these kinds of trips are really good for the growth and development of young people. It's really depressing that one bad incident can ruin everything forever. We see it all the time, sadly.

Things won't always go right in wilderness situations, no matter how prepared and conditioned you are. A lot of people firmly believe that if there's any chance of risk, it's not worth taking. I think that's a load of bullshit. I've taken some huge risks out there, and have felt abject terror many times from pushing myself past my comfort zone. Except for one instance, it's always been worth it. The risk payed off, and I was rewarded. Life is boring if you don't feel fear every now and then.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rondette posted:

edit- How the hell do you just link the URL to the playlist? Every time I copy and paste it it automatically makes it a video that can't play. Sort of fixed it but Id still like to know

I've gotten it to work by using right click>paste as plain text, still a royal pain though.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Picnic Princess posted:

Things won't always go right in wilderness situations, no matter how prepared and conditioned you are. A lot of people firmly believe that if there's any chance of risk, it's not worth taking.

Our brains are very heavily wired towards "not being good at statistics", which is why we spend billions on terrorism prevention and get scared of going up in airplanes, then jump into cars and tailgate people at 90mph.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Our brains are very heavily wired towards "not being good at statistics", which is why we spend billions on terrorism prevention and get scared of going up in airplanes, then jump into cars and tailgate people at 90mph.

On the other hand, the actual numbers on K2 are mindbogglingly hideous. 80 deaths to 300 summits, those are horrific numbers however you cut it, even taking into account the failed attempts. There are very few things in life other than actual suicide that are more dangerous than making a serious attempt to climb K2, other than climbing Annapurna. Also when "things don't go right" in a regular wilderness situation, there are normally opportunities to put things right in some way, you're not usually instantly crushed under 400 tons of ice and rock.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I know it's the Daily Mail, but apparently there's a 34 member Indian army garbage removal expedition going on:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahom...t-climbers.html

It is in honor of the first Indian summit, half a century ago. It's a funny commentary on the state of Everest when a time of pride for an achievement is marked by hauling away the crapheaps of garbage left by wealthy white people. It's like Futurama's episode about the lovely amusement park on the moon.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Fatkraken posted:

On the other hand, the actual numbers on K2 are mindbogglingly hideous. 80 deaths to 300 summits, those are horrific numbers however you cut it, even taking into account the failed attempts. There are very few things in life other than actual suicide that are more dangerous than making a serious attempt to climb K2, other than climbing Annapurna. Also when "things don't go right" in a regular wilderness situation, there are normally opportunities to put things right in some way, you're not usually instantly crushed under 400 tons of ice and rock.

Oh, for sure.

All that said, I now have an overwhelming desire to go Bond-villain and slice the top 500 meters of Everest off, just so something as dangerous as K2 is now the "highest". :unsmigghh:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ursine Asylum posted:

All that said, I now have an overwhelming desire to go Bond-villain and slice the top 500 meters of Everest off, just so something as dangerous as K2 is now the "highest". :unsmigghh:

Take all the poo poo and garbage off everest and add some extra meters to K2 and you have a murderous poo poo mountain people are eager to climb

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

Take all the poo poo and garbage off everest and add some extra meters to K2 and you have a murderous poo poo mountain people are eager to climb

Nah build a big antenna on top of K2 like all the buildings do so they can claim to be the tallest on X continent. Then you climb K2, scale the giant antenna and base jump back down.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hailthefish posted:

K2 is a terrifying mountain of death but I don't get nearly as much schadenfreude out of watching people die on it because the people who try to climb it are at least people who care about climbing mountains, versus Everest where most everyone up there is a retard bucket-lister who only wants to summit so they can take a picture and make a tweet about "woo made it to the top #summit #everest #yolo" and brag about it back home to pretend to be interesting.

as long as you understand that they're still a 100x more interesting than the kind of person who posts stuff like this

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
nah

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
I don't know if this had been brought up before hand, but the Indian Army has plans to clean up Everest mid-May with a ~30 person team. Given their claims there might be more death on the horizon:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahom...t-climbers.html

quote:

“Sadly, Mount Everest is now also called the world’s highest junkyard. Our aim is to carry forward our prime minister’s dream of cleanliness everywhere, including at the top of the world. We will target the mountaineering waste from Camp 1 (19,695 feet) to the summit (29,028 feet). There are old cylinders, tents, tins, packets, equipment and other mountaineering waste. Apart from our own haversacks weighing 10 kg each, we intend to bring in another 10 kg each on the trip,” Major Ranveer Singh Jamval, the team leader who has successfully scaled Mount Everest twice already, told Mail Today

After reading this thread I have a hard time believing the Summit situation is going to change. I wonder if they intend to try to bring bodies down as well...

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 1, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rondette posted:

I have an Everest playlist with some stuff on it here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCCDlK-WW0A

If anybody wants to make suggestions/additions let me know of course, sharing is caring (except if you are an Italian on K2 in a snowstorm)

Cool, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Found this in the china.jpg thread: The shadow of K2

• Locked thread