Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Is the Secretary of State trolling the Governor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is the Indiana law even constitutional? Can Obama send in the Army to enforce federal law?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

OniPanda posted:

Don't forget Brighton, where they're trying to make being young crime as well!

I work in Howell, but spend precisely zero time there when I'm off the clock so I can't say anything about it but I've had several friends move from Brighton to anywhere but Brighton.

Of course, Brighton, home to that champion of western civilization, Pasquale Battaglia. Has he opened his tea party charter school yet, with armed teachers hired from Kelly Services teaching little kids to be a bigoted as he is using the only textbook anyone needs, the Holy Bible?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

Is the Indiana law even constitutional? Can Obama send in the Army to enforce federal law?

Why do liberals keep fantasizing about Obama sending in the army to enforce poo poo? It's gross. Seriously on a number of issues in this thread I've seen liberals salivate over the possibility almost as much as conservatives fantasize about it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Good Citizen posted:

Oh poo poo fishmech noticed someone was technically wrong about an insignificant point. See y'all in 5 pages.

I actually love Fishmech posts; they're like a refreshing vision into a mirror universe where caring about what's actually correct instead of what everyone has agreed is correct is the way adults behave and not petulant children.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

greatn posted:

Why do liberals keep fantasizing about Obama sending in the army to enforce poo poo? It's gross. Seriously on a number of issues in this thread I've seen liberals salivate over the possibility almost as much as conservatives fantasize about it.

idiot, idiots keep fantasizing, not liberals or conservatives

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

greatn posted:

because it was cool when Ike did it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Who cares about freedom for the goddamn sinners, TRUE PATRIOTS ARE BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST.

quote:

SunTrust Bank doesn't want Steve Champion's money because it doesn't like how he earns it.

Champion owns American Gun & Pawn in Brooksville.

"At first I thought it must be a hoax," he said.

But this is no joke. SunTrust sent Champion a letter, dated March 20, advising him to withdraw his funds immediately.

“If you do not close these accounts by this date, we will need to close them for you,” the letter says.

The letter says their banking "relationship" "no longer meets the bank's corporate business objectives." It does not go into detail on why the decision was made.

“The decision cannot be reversed and is final,” the letter says.

Champion was shocked. He's been in business for just a year and said his account is good in standing.

"I've worked my whole life to open a business," he said. "I have a near-perfect credit score. I have zero debt."

Champion was even more shocked when he called the bank and spoke with a customer service representative.

He said the representative told him, "Oh, you got one of the gun letters." He said she went on to say the letters are going to gun shop owners across the country.

"SunTrust is pro-small business, and we are proud to serve more than 400,000 small business clients. SunTrust fully supports all of the rights that Americans are granted under the Constitution, and we continue to maintain banking relationships with licensed firearms dealers. It is consistent with long-standing industry practice to review relationships to ensure they satisfy a range of business and risk considerations. We have decided to discontinue banking relationships with three types of businesses - specifically payday lenders, pawn shops and dedicated check-cashers - due to compliance requirements. We remain committed to serving the needs of our communities while meeting the standards of our industry."

Champion said he feels he is being targeted because of the guns he sells and he said that is what a bank representative told him. But, either way, he said, guns or pawn, "This decision is wrong."

There have been several national news reports that the FDIC has asked banks to closely monitor certain types of businesses. There are numerous businesses on a watch list, including pawn shows and firearm dealers. Champion believes that is why he received the boot from SunTrust.

"There is no reason other than they don't want to do business either with a gun store or a pawn shop, period," he said. "So they're discriminating."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, “Also, pls let me know if you got a reply from my ipad. I'm not sure replies go thru.” ~ :siren: Hillary Clinton :siren:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chantilly Say posted:

I actually love Fishmech posts; they're like a refreshing vision into a mirror universe where caring about what's actually correct instead of what everyone has agreed is correct is the way adults behave and not petulant children.

It is kinda funny that people are bashing him for correcting something that would be one of the biggest :fishmech: posts otherwise.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Chantilly Say posted:

A mirror universe where everyone cares dearly about train rail gauges and drink mix names.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “Also, pls let me know if you got a reply from my ipad. I'm not sure replies go thru.” ~ :siren: Hillary Clinton :siren:

If you vote for this luddite in the Democratic primary, I judge you. Harshly.

I don't mean you specifically, Joe. I mean everyone.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Oh don't worry, I was never going to vote for Clinton, just like I never voted for Obama.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who cares about freedom for the goddamn sinners, TRUE PATRIOTS ARE BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST.

Sun Trust just doesn't have the heart to tell him it's really because they think he's gay. I mean, who wouldn't want to deal with fine, upstanding, institutions like Payday lenders, Pawn brokers, and check cashiers?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's not Hillary's fault Apple sucks. She's never had any problems with e-mails going through on her Galaxy.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

What federal law would they be enforcing?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

notthegoatseguy posted:

What federal law would they be enforcing?

14th amendment.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gyges posted:

14th amendment.

Well if this would be about LGBT not being a protected class, they aren't a protected class in federal civil rights either.

RFRA is totally horrible but I don't see what sending in the army to enforce federal law, especially a law in which the feds have one that is pretty similar except in a few (albeit key) areas, would be hilarious.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
apparently America doesn't have a monopoly on strangely anti-obama people

ufarn
May 30, 2009
A lexical analysis of Reagan's speeches shows his early onset of Alzheimer's (paywalled); by the end, he was falling to the level of GWB: :ohdear:

(And no, "S. Wang" is not Sam Wang, hilarious as that would be.)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Zwabu posted:

Because we all know what a strong foundation bashing gays provides for a presidential campaign:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNntoRgA

Yes, we do

https://youtu.be/BHor4o5w2IM

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Voting Hillary like I just don't care.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

ufarn posted:

A lexical analysis of Reagan's speeches shows his early onset of Alzheimer's (paywalled); by the end, he was falling to the level of GWB: :ohdear:

This is really interesting, but it's HW Bush and not Dubya.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

ufarn posted:

This is a remarkably shoddy way to determine someone's mental faculties.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Speaking of which I wonder what happened to those Conservative Youth at St. Andrews University who hung Obama in effigy a few years back, like if they joined UKIP now.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Rexicon1 posted:

This is a remarkably shoddy way to determine someone's mental faculties.

It's also clipping the y axis to make the differences seem more significant than they actually are. It's also not like Reagan wrote his own speeches, and even with Alzheimers he was probably still pretty drat good at reading prompter due to muscle memory.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ufarn posted:

I'd be surprised to learn that Reagan wrote a single one of his one speeches.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ErIog posted:

It's also clipping the y axis to make the differences seem more significant than they actually are. It's also not like Reagan wrote his own speeches, and even with Alzheimers he was probably still pretty drat good at reading prompter due to muscle memory.

Prompter? No only Obama read from a teleprompter.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Grey Fox posted:

This is really interesting, but it's HW Bush and not Dubya.
Ah, so the decline wasn't as bad as I feared.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I'm still not convinced that Alzheimer's had much to do with Reagan's issues near the end of his term. It's s pretty common talking point on the left that he was a dottering old fool, but most things I've seen about him is that he was still quite eloquent and calculating until well after he left office.

He was a terrible person and ruined American discourse for years to come so let's not let him get off easy by saying he was senile. He was just rotten.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Good Citizen posted:

I'd be surprised to learn that Reagan wrote a single one of his one speeches.

If yall just read the drat abstract, not even the abstract, the link description on scholar, you'd be pleased to see that it's from non scripted press conferences that they pulled the word count.

Otherwise yes I'd say that's a horrible idiot way of measuring alzheimers progression but we're not talking about Uncle Jim's Journal of Michelob Lite and Spike TV here.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm still not convinced that Alzheimer's had much to do with Reagan's issues near the end of his term. It's s pretty common talking point on the left that he was a dottering old fool, but most things I've seen about him is that he was still quite eloquent and calculating until well after he left office.

He was a terrible person and ruined American discourse for years to come so let's not let him get off easy by saying he was senile. He was just rotten.

He was absolutely afflicted with something affecting his mental capabilities towards the end of his term. Just compare his speeches.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Radbot posted:

He was absolutely afflicted with something affecting his mental capabilities towards the end of his term. Just compare his speeches.

I'd like to see what the evidence of this is. He didn't write his own speeches so why would his Alzheimer's come through on those? He had so many handlers all the way through that I don't think it's possible to really tell from this.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
That data. Isn't. From. Prepared or written. Speeches.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just read the original archived 9/11 thread. I was only 6 at the time, loving unreal.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

whitey delenda est posted:

That data. Isn't. From. Written. Speeches.

You are absolutely right and I didn't notice that.

Regardless, there is still dubious evidence (to me, a biochemist) that unique word use is a valid diagnostic tool for dementia. They only state that there is correlation between dementia and unique word use and the use of "filler" words. Id wager that you would see the same pattern in people who are tired.

Also the p-values of .34 seem a little high for me for HWs speech patterns, but that might be acceptable in that field.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Grouchio posted:

I just read the original archived 9/11 thread. I was only 6 at the time, loving unreal.

Linkie?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rexicon1 posted:

I'd like to see what the evidence of this is. He didn't write his own speeches so why would his Alzheimer's come through on those? He had so many handlers all the way through that I don't think it's possible to really tell from this.

Tons of WH correspondents have commented on how his mental capacities deteriorated towards the end.

quote:

Reagan was as shriveled as a kumquat. He was so frail, his skin so paper-thin. I could almost see the sunlight through the back of his withered neck…His eyes were coated. Larry introduced us, but he had to shout. Had Reagan turned off his hearing aid?

…Reagan didn't seem to know who I was. He gave me a distant look with those milky eyes and shook my hand weakly. Oh, my, he's gonzo, I thought. I have to go out on the lawn tonight and tell my countrymen that the president of the United States is a doddering space cadet. My heart began to hammer with the import...I was aware of the delicacy with which I would have to write my script. But I was quite sure of my diagnosis.

Also, how widespread is this rumor that Reid didn't get injured by exercising by instead from getting worked over by Vegas mob heavies.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Right here. Click on each link for each page:
http://www.truegamer.net/SA_911/911%20SATHREAD/

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 31, 2015

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

On the topic of the Alzheimer's study, NYTimes expanded on it and does a pretty good job at not overselling the science at this point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/health/parsing-ronald-reagans-words-for-early-signs-of-alzheimers.html?_r=0

quote:

The findings, published in The Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease by researchers at Arizona State University, do not prove that Mr. Reagan exhibited signs of dementia that would have adversely affected his judgment and ability to make decisions in office.

But the research does suggest that alterations in speech one day might be used to predict development of Alzheimer’s and other neurological conditions years before symptoms are clinically perceptible.

In an interview, Dr. Berisha said he did not set out to study Mr. Reagan, but found he was the only individual with progressive dementia for whom long-term transcript information is publicly available. He chose Mr. Bush because he was most comparable in age to Mr. Reagan at the start of their presidencies, and both men served during roughly the same decade.
That bit about long-term transcripts is the real kicker. You need a huge amount of data to do this kind of analysis, and that simply isn't practical for people who do not live in the public spotlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Jeb Bush comes out in support of the Indiana RFRA law. http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-03-31/jeb-bush-praises-mike-pence-for-religious-freedom-law

• Locked thread