Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
speaking of embarassing microsoft moments, who remembers this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
kin showed every sign of a product that should have been killed long before it was released, but because of the agreements that msft had signed with verizon, it was cheaper to release it and let it gasp for breath before expiring than to pay the penalty fee to verizon for failing to deliver

im p sure the motorola/apple rokr phone was released for the same reason

collaboration turned sour can become quite messy

48 days tho thats got to be a record

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

isnt he a little short to be a sith lord

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

i was gonna post this one :mad:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

uncurable mlady posted:

speaking of embarassing microsoft moments, who remembers this

is that a novelty burial?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

like those guys who get buried in a golf themed coffin or like robert c baker?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FMguru posted:

kin showed every sign of a product that should have been killed long before it was released, but because of the agreements that msft had signed with verizon, it was cheaper to release it and let it gasp for breath before expiring than to pay the penalty fee to verizon for failing to deliver

its a little sad because the sidekick/hiptop was ahead of its time in a lot of ways and if done competently a true successor could have been a legit iphone competitor. but its post-gates ms so they obviously hosed it up badly

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SIGSEGV posted:

is that a novelty burial?

no one died, it was a mock funeral procession for the iphone because the latest windows phone just released and was totally going to kick iphone's rear end sales-wise

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

univbee posted:

no one died, it was a mock funeral procession for the iphone because the latest windows phone just released and was totally going to kick iphone's rear end sales-wise

i wonder how many people in those photos actually believed that

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i also think there was a germ of a good idea behind kin - a limited-feature smartphone full of social media (chat and text and picture sharing) that targeted teens and college students (especially girls) as a next logical step after the razr phone. if it had come out a couple years earlier (and with a full feature set and an appropriate data plan) they might have had something

by 2010 verizon was putting everything they had behind the droid series and trying to get the iphone from apple and whatever business sense the kin made to them when they started had long since expired

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows phone 7 and surface rt. heh, ftw. kiss yr little ifad and icrap goodbye :byewhore:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

based on the design choices in that banner, the person responsible for this was tapped to design win10

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
rip lunix archduke

:rip:

:smith:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Creeping Win Phone Sex

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nash Regex posted:

Creeping Win Phone Sex

nothing says sexy like the rural south

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

what's that banner say, certainly not sex ring right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
something keeping windows phone sexy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

windows phone is so loving SEXY

unnnnngh!

like thick white girls dressed as hicks

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

infernal machines posted:

windows phone is so loving SEXY

unnnnngh!

like thick white girls dressed as hicks
loving agreed

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
in keeping with MS' current naming scheme, the browser will become Xbox One Web Powered by Bing With Xbox OneDrive Cloud Service

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

my money's on them keeping the name 'spartan' for the browser because what the gently caress else are they gonna do

print the "Spartan" name in thousands of documents, get sued, then call it "Windows Browser Modern Style" to confuse everyone

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i know a guy who had a phone with windows phone 7 on it

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

they cant quit their all-metro-apps-get-splash-screens internal mandating

every single launch of your web browser gets you smacked in the face with this awful logo

there is just such a massive insecurity at work, who brands a web browser and who insists on splash screens like this is back in the middle of the winamp vs sonique dormroom-mindshare wars?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Smythe posted:

i had a phone that had windows phone 7 on it!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Smythe posted:

hosed up if true

i had a phone that had windows phone 7 on it!

i suspected as much

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have a good phone now

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i use the wp7 text message alert noise on my iphone. it's nice, haven't heard anyone else use it in the 3yrs it's been that way.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sudo Echo posted:

i use the wp7 text message alert noise on my iphone. it's nice, haven't heard anyone else use it in the 3yrs it's been that way.

both ios and wp7 have good message alert sounds

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sudo Echo posted:

i use the quack noise from old versions of mac os

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mercurius posted:

i use the quack noise from old versions of mac os

i use default sounds because im cool in real life

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Smythe posted:

im cool in real life

i'm sorry smythe, but according to our records you work in live theatre, so that's almost certainly not true

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ya ok says the it guy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i never claimed to be cool though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but i know it when i see it, and brother, you ain't it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

but i know it when i see it, and brother, you ain't it.

wrong, ive had sex. :smaug:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

are you saying it involved a dragon dildo

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

shadow puppet of a posted:

dormroom-mindshare

mods

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

shadow puppet of a posted:

they cant quit their all-metro-apps-get-splash-screens internal mandating

every single launch of your web browser gets you smacked in the face with this awful logo

there is just such a massive insecurity at work, who brands a web browser and who insists on splash screens like this is back in the middle of the winamp vs sonique dormroom-mindshare wars?

does it still do grayscale font rendering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

but seriously:

quote:

Contact lists could only be copied from another phone by Verizon store employees. There was no way for the consumer to do this by any known means

quote:

Kin was unable to Instant Message (IM), or use any IM client

quote:

There was no spelling correction or predictive text input.
and roz' insistence on taking 3 weeks off in the middle of development crunch time to hike kilimanjaro and take a prototype with her to 'test'

• Locked thread