Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Nierbo posted:

Is there any way to downgrade my galaxy s5 to whatever firmware it was on before? This new one sucks. I can't change songs on the lock screen, apps constantly crashing, messages border is loving bright orange for some reason and can't be changed, and now it runs super slow, ugh.

samsung.txt

To get the music controls back do this:
Settings > Sounds and Notifications, scroll all the way down and you'll see Notifications, click on 'While locked' and select "Show all content"
This will enable it so you'll be able to see all your notifications on the lock screen, including music controls.
"Hide Sensitive information" will still allow you to see your notifications, but not the actual message; you should also get back the music controls on both options. If this doesn't work, the music app you use hasn't been updated to work with Lollipop and you should find a new one!

You can use a different messaging app. I recommend Google Messenger because you can change the app's color and border on a per-contact basis.

Super-slow, apps crashing -- fix this by clearing the cache in recovery and/or running a factory reset. Factory reset will erase all your downloaded apps and app data (your music and anime .mkvs will remain untouched).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
That all worked perfect, got my music controls back! Thanks. That'll do for now I guess. I should have got the insurance thing so I can just smash this one and get a new one that isn't updated yet and just leave it on that firmware.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Look at this instagram superstar.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Nierbo posted:

I should have got the insurance thing so I can just smash this one and get a new one that isn't updated yet and just leave it on that firmware.

Even with insurance, you still end up paying a great deal of money for a replacement for exactly that reason.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

My M9 case came in and I get paid Wednesday. Can't wait to get this phone by then.

Also I realize I might be the only dude stoked about the M9 on here.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Also I realize I might be the only dude stoked about the M9 on here.

Most of us are smart enough to avoid 130° F devices and don't like burned skin?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spoof posted:

Aside from :samsung: is there a reason no one is really excited about the S6? It seems to have all the right things, a great camera with OIS, reasonably waterproof and wireless charging. Life hasn't been kind to my Nexus 5 and it could use a replacement soon, with a good camera and not-phablet being the main two criteria. I travel a lot so a world phone is a huge plus, which is pushing me towards an iphone 6. Is there a summary of the bands the S6 supports somewhere?
Isn't It both not waterproof and the wrong kind of wireless charging?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Most of us are smart enough to avoid 130° F devices and don't like burned skin?

Heating companies hate him! Click to see this one weird trick to get your SoC hot enough to fry eggs

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

LastInLine posted:

Isn't It both not waterproof and the wrong kind of wireless charging?

The wireless charger it comes with is Power Mat, IIRC, but the S6 supports Qi as well.

I just cracked the screen on my N5, and I'm dangerously close to getting the S6 Edge to replace it. All that's holding me back is the memories of owning an S1 Captivate...

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hungry Computer posted:

The wireless charger it comes with is Power Mat, IIRC, but the S6 supports Qi as well.

I just cracked the screen on my N5, and I'm dangerously close to getting the S6 Edge to replace it. All that's holding me back is the memories of owning an S1 Captivate...

Really? I'd hold back for usage reports and full reviews, myself. But people will buy Samsung phones for dumber reasons than that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's been a long time since I've had to be on a plane without being able to tune out all the poo poo around me...and the headphones I did have had a microphone in them, so I couldn't even plug them into the plane's TV and music system. :negative:
Wait what? I've used my headphones with a mic on a plane and never had a problem.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Really? I'd hold back for usage reports and full reviews, myself. But people will buy Samsung phones for dumber reasons than that.

Well yeah, I'm not going to buy it blind. I'm just surprised a Samsung device is even on my shortlist.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm the biggest Samsung detractor here and I'll tell you that outside of the Motos and Nexus 6 it's the clear favorite. Hell, even LG appears to now be backpedaling on the 810. I feel sorry for anyone dumb enough to get an M9, that thing's going to be nothing but thermal throttling and heat-damaged system boards for two straight years. It'll be HTC's next Thunderbolt.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Endless Mike posted:

Wait what? I've used my headphones with a mic on a plane and never had a problem.

Must depend on the plane, because mine were too long to fit in, so only one earbud worked and there was a buzzing from something shorting.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

It'll be HTC's next Thunderbolt.

RIP HTC

Just remake the nexus one

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

butt dickus posted:

Yes. If you've gotten ADB working then you've already done the hard part.

gently caress, when did this get so hard? It used to be that you could download the SDK and run adb and fastboot out of platform tools, but jesus, nothing is simple anymore. gently caress it all, time to let the update come to me in Google's own time. I ain't got time for this poo poo anymore.

EDIT: Against my better judgement I installed Java to run the Android Dev software since that is a new thing since 5.0+, but basic instructions still don't work. I reiterate, gently caress it. gently caress CJ-ing my phone, joke's on me for wasting an hour pretending like I was still a scrub who had the patience to read a bunch of nerd poo poo to get the latest software on my phone.

Turnquiet fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 31, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm still not even sold on the M9 at this point. After that post I made I found a couple more reviews and stuff that came out today and it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Was always a bit torn because I knew the S6 had better features overall. Feels like I should go with the S6 and use a phone that has a better camera and wireless charging and all.

I'll check it out at Best Buy tomorrow or something.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - I ain't got time for this poo poo anymore.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Arstechnica's M9 review is scathing. Not because he means to be, because that's the way things are. Check out the warm and cold benchmarks. After the m9 gets warm, the CPU throttling kicks in, at which point Snapdragon 800 devices outperform it. Good to know my LG G2 is still competitive with 2015 flagships.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/htc-one-m9-review-htcs-flagship-feels-like-an-afterthought/

No surprise that LG is considering staying away from the Snapdragon 810. What a disaster.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Civil posted:

No surprise that LG is considering staying away from the Snapdragon 810. What a disaster.
Indeed.
They put out a phone SoC with more cores and a faster clock speed than most desktops being sold today. I know the cores are totally different in design, but jesus christ stop demanding 10ghz octo-core SoCs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Turnquiet posted:

gently caress, when did this get so hard? It used to be that you could download the SDK and run adb and fastboot out of platform tools, but jesus, nothing is simple anymore. gently caress it all, time to let the update come to me in Google's own time. I ain't got time for this poo poo anymore.

EDIT: Against my better judgement I installed Java to run the Android Dev software since that is a new thing since 5.0+, but basic instructions still don't work. I reiterate, gently caress it. gently caress CJ-ing my phone, joke's on me for wasting an hour pretending like I was still a scrub who had the patience to read a bunch of nerd poo poo to get the latest software on my phone.
Odd, it just works when you remove Windows from the equation...

RZA Encryption posted:

RIP HTC

Just remake the nexus one
That's the sad truth. The Thunderbolt almost killed them, I can't imagine they'll do better this time around. :(

Civil posted:

At this point anyone who buys an 810-based phone is going to get hosed so hard. It will be the new Tegra2.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
HTC could've kept the same processor and just updated the stuff that people actually want: better camera, sleeker design, better battery life, a touch based finger print scanner. Instead, it looks like they spent all their time trying to get the 810 under control.

Looks like I'm getting a Samsung.

Civil posted:

I wouldn't be very confident on the 808 either. It has 2 less cores than the 810 but at the end of the day, it's still a rushed effort to get a 64bit chip into the market based on an ARM reference design rather than the custom Krait cores that were used on previous Snapdragons.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

evilskillit posted:

I was looking forward to the HTC One M9 to replace my M7, after the latest arstechnica review of it I'm thinking maybe I should just get a M8 instead. :(
The M8 is a great phone.

EDIT: We're currently at a point where the power on a phone like the M8 (801 and 2gb) is more than enough for what people use their phones for. It's dumb to pay for products pushing that boundary right now when nothing you will do will take advantage of it. They need to chill on pushing processor power in flagships until they either make a breakthrough in resolution and battery tech or figure out a really elegant multitasking solution. Until then, I don't see why an average user would want a faster phone aside from bigger numbers = better than.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 31, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

The M8 is a great phone.

EDIT: We're currently at a point where the power on a phone like the M8 (801 and 2gb) is more than enough for what people use their phones for. It's dumb to pay for products pushing that boundary right now when nothing you will do will take advantage of it. They need to chill on pushing processor power in flagships until they either make a breakthrough in resolution and battery tech or figure out a really elegant multitasking solution. Until then, I don't see why an average user would want a faster phone aside from bigger numbers = better than.
You're not paying for the better specs, you're paying for the longer support window and having a better product in the waning months of your contract. The M7 has had support dropped for it already. If you had bought one when it was a year old, you'd have a year of no support and no security updates.

I mean obviously if you're married to HTC buying an M9 over an M8 is dumb but as there are much better options out there than a year-old HTC it would be difficult to recommend anyone go down that road.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Turnquiet posted:

I've been using this for a while, at least the 1.3 version, not tried the new one

its always worked with no issues, both win 7 and 8.1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Just run, say yes to the prompts

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turnquiet posted:

The process of setting up and using ADB has not changed in any significant way since Android launched. You probably downloaded Android Studio when what you actually wanted was the "SDK Tools Only" download, the link for which is location further down the page.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

As easy as setting up ADB is, I still feel it wouldn't be a bad idea if Google would just make a simple wrapper for it so that users could have an easy way of applying updates, resetting firmware, and backing up their devices. I understand the rationale behind why they don't do that, but it doesn't stop me from wishing they did.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The latter two should be done properly from the cloud like Apple does. It's still a major weakness of Android. When I interviewed at Google they asked me what one thing I would add to Android and this was my answer. Lollipop made it slightly better on the backup/restore side but it's still not reliable enough.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Tunga posted:

The process of setting up and using ADB has not changed in any significant way since Android launched. You probably downloaded Android Studio when what you actually wanted was the "SDK Tools Only" download, the link for which is location further down the page.

Yeah, I'm on OSX. I won't poo poo up the thread too bad, but here is what happened- got adb connected, adb restart bootloader, moved to recovery via the volume buttons, got my red exclamation android and then I couldn't do adb sideload [filename] since adb doesn't [wouldn't?] work on recovery. I recall using fastboot instead of adb once you hit recovery like that, but I wasn't about to risk screwing up my phone just to get 5.1 a few weeks earlier.

Even on 5.0.1 the N6 is a baller device that I am have been very happy with, though I do miss the Moto X's active display compared to the hackjob that is in the N6. I just got caught up in the neat 5.1 improvements and thought I still valued my time as little as back in 2012 when I could afford to gently caress up my phone getting the latest and greatest. I ain't got time for that between a career, family, and above all, Bloodborne.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

The latter two should be done properly from the cloud like Apple does. It's still a major weakness of Android. When I interviewed at Google they asked me what one thing I would add to Android and this was my answer. Lollipop made it slightly better on the backup/restore side but it's still not reliable enough.
It wouldn't be so bad if Google would insist that games make use of their backup solution but since they don't it will always be an issue that some will choose to deal with. I don't even have that many games but they are still the only thing keeping me using Titanium. If I were Google and it was a few years ago I'd probably pull a Microsoft and offer to do it for Rovio just to make the feature more visible but Angry Birds' time is passed at this point.

Obviously though yeah, Google would prefer users never need an application and can do everything via the cloud and they've done a lot to that end. Plus Nexuses are developer devices first and developers know how to use ADB so they don't really need a GUI.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Z3c lollipop upgrade just flashed on my device. Have to use PC to do it though, weak.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Turnquiet posted:

Yeah, I'm on OSX. I won't poo poo up the thread too bad, but here is what happened- got adb connected, adb restart bootloader, moved to recovery via the volume buttons, got my red exclamation android and then I couldn't do adb sideload [filename] since adb doesn't [wouldn't?] work on recovery. I recall using fastboot instead of adb once you hit recovery like that, but I wasn't about to risk screwing up my phone just to get 5.1 a few weeks earlier.
I *think* you have to put the stock recovery into a target mode through some arcane button combo. I use a custom recovery so I'm really unfamiliar but I'm nearly positive that's how I had to do it on the 2013.

Found it:

quote:

Step 3: Switch off your Nexus 5 and press the Volume Up + Vol. Down + Power button simultaneously to boot into fastboot mode. Now, using the Volume keys select the ‘Recovery’ option, and press the Power key to confirm your selection.

Step 4: Your Nexus 5 will now once again reboot into the stock Android recovery. You will, however, be first greeted with an Android logo and an exclamation mark. To access the recovery now, you will have to simultaneously press the Volume Up + Power key for 2 seconds to boot into recovery. This step is a finicky so keep try and you should be eventually able to get into recovery.

Step 5: On your phone, use the volume keys to select the “apply update from adb” option. Now, connect the handset to your PC, and switch over to Terminal or Command Prompt window you had opened in Step 2.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Lblitzer posted:

Why not use Here Maps? Imo it's a much better navigation app plus you can use it offline!

I'm not against using another app or anything, I just feel like it "should" work and I shouldn't need to go 3rd party. I also like the google integration available with gmaps and prefer it because of that.

Part of me was really looking for a way to test whether it is app related or hardware related. Im pretty sure at this point its just a gmaps bug that I am seeing. maybe eventually I'll find a thread on XDA that covers this usage case, but based on the relative silence from note 4 users in this thread, I'm a fringe case.

Thanks for the here maps recommendation though, checking it out as we speak.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Already missed a call thanks to the new Lollipop notifications. Is there a primer out there that helps demystify the system? I don't know why it had to change from the simple No noise, Vibrate, Volume level.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

A heads up to US z3 and z3c owners, the lollipop firmware is now available from Sony. Just upgraded and everything seems to work properly.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Already missed a call thanks to the new Lollipop notifications. Is there a primer out there that helps demystify the system? I don't know why it had to change from the simple No noise, Vibrate, Volume level.

Don't mess with the notification priority things, just put ringer on vibrate or sound.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

mango sentinel posted:

The M8 is a great phone.

LastInLine posted:

You're not paying for the better specs, you're paying for the longer support window and having a better product in the waning months of your contract. The M7 has had support dropped for it already. If you had bought one when it was a year old, you'd have a year of no support and no security updates.

I mean obviously if you're married to HTC buying an M9 over an M8 is dumb but as there are much better options out there than a year-old HTC it would be difficult to recommend anyone go down that road.

I like the styling of the HTC phones and I like the speakers. My first phone before my M7 was a Nexus S and the speaker on that thing was practically vestigial. Trying to show anyone a youtube video on that device was practically pointless. I haven't tried the newer Samsung devices, but also I don't really care for Samsung because reasons. The biggest problem with getting a M8 is the contract will be 2 years and the device will probably only be supported for another year. LG isn't great about updates so I'm afraid if I get a new LG it'll be basically the same thing. The Moto X2 isn't available on Sprint...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

evilskillit posted:

I like the styling of the HTC phones and I like the speakers. My first phone before my M7 was a Nexus S and the speaker on that thing was practically vestigial. Trying to show anyone a youtube video on that device was practically pointless. I haven't tried the newer Samsung devices, but also I don't really care for Samsung because reasons. The biggest problem with getting a M8 is the contract will be 2 years and the device will probably only be supported for another year. LG isn't great about updates so I'm afraid if I get a new LG it'll be basically the same thing. The Moto X2 isn't available on Sprint...
If you're married to it, you're married to it but the Nexus 6 is a better choice in every way as it has the front speakers you want and will work on a better carrier if you decide to switch later on. Given how outsized the M8 is for a screen of its size you aren't looking at that big a jump in size and you'll reap a lot more benefit from the size it does have.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Optimus Subprime posted:

A heads up to US z3 and z3c owners, the lollipop firmware is now available from Sony. Just upgraded and everything seems to work properly.

I have never heard of the Sony app (at least for Mac) before this upgrade. Anyone use it before and what are your thoughts? Looked like it had a complete backup and restore feature similar to iTunes which would be nice.

RVProfootballer posted:

Don't mess with the notification priority things, just put ringer on vibrate or sound.

Ok, still infuriating how counter-intuitive it is. I've been using Lollipop on my N7 and can never seem to get it all sorted out the way I want it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

To anyone looking for "which phone should I get?" advice, the score hasn't changed at all. Your options are iphone 6 (big or small) or Nexus 6 (big) or 2013 Moto X (small). Anything else results in misery.