Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So besides potential reprints is there anything in the pipeline for Rogue Trader anymore? The Tau pdf is pretty baller but otherwise the last book was almost two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Here's a weird thing I noticed; Tianxia has 36 kung fu styles, and you need to master two of them to advance to grandmaster rank. That's 18 different combinations for 18 Primarchs. If we make Space Marines the founders of martial arts styles in the Imperium, that would explain what happened to the two missing Primarchs; their kung fu was weak!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Rockopolis posted:

Here's a weird thing I noticed; Tianxia has 36 kung fu styles, and you need to master two of them to advance to grandmaster rank. That's 18 different combinations for 18 Primarchs. If we make Space Marines the founders of martial arts styles in the Imperium, that would explain what happened to the two missing Primarchs; their kung fu was weak!

Their kung-fu was the blackest of black, dishonorable in action and intent. Even the Fallen Primarchs never allowed their kung-fu to reach those depths.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rockopolis posted:

A Horus Heresy campaign? A Thunder Warriors campaign?
A Dreadnought campaign? That would be post-dead Space Marines, but it still fits the theme of piles of dead Space Marines. A social one, where you're all too venerable for anyone to point out how out of touch you are?

Hey, did the Emperor have a name before he was the Emperor? Even Qin Shihuangdi had a name before he renamed himself Emperor "FirstEmperor China" (I think his original name translated to something like "Victory Badass", so it was like a theme with him).
Like, what was the Emperor called during the Age of Strife, or the Unification of Terra? The God Emperor of Some of Mankind?
Hell, what name does Bjorn use for a battlecry when he forgets what millennia it is?

The Emperor always was the Emperor. He is an entity created from all the earths psykers deciding to collectively merge to form a god-king that could rule the stars. Having never been born, he has no name, though you could say that he might have thousands.

I think "For Russ and the Emperor" will suffice for Bjorn no matter when :black101:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
His name was Terry.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Terence to his mother.

She loved him, did Mrs Stamp.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

quote:

I ran with the idea of one of the lost legions being wuxia themed in my ongoing campaign that's diverged from the base setting, and their primarch was essentially Kung Lao from Mortal Kombat.

Lead to a funny moment when the players realized that the precious artifact they thought was the lost primarch's razor-edged shield was in fact his hat. A primarch-sized wide brim hat was big enough to be mistakenly treated as a storm shield.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Cronos. Saturn, to the Ultramarines.
Or would that be the other way around? I forget if the Ultramarines are space Greeks or space Romans.

edit:
haha, was just thinking about Wuxia.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 31, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rockopolis posted:

Cronos. Saturn, to the Ultramarines.
Or would that be the other way around? I forget if the Ultramarines are space Greeks or space Romans.

So do they, often.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

So do they, often.

Doesn't help that now in the Horus Heresy the Iron Warriors are getting shoved into that motif as well. At least the Heresy-era Emperor's Children solidly own their late Roman theming.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Haven't followed the Iron Warriors. Didn't they used to have that Mesopotamian-theme going? Like, it's not much of a stretch; the Assyrian-Empire(s) were early adopters of iron and they apparently just loved skull piles and flayed skin carpets everywhere. Also, incredible beards. Why should Space Wolves be the only beardy marines?
Also, if I ever have to pick a name for a game I now want it to be Sargon. Great name.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rockopolis posted:

Haven't followed the Iron Warriors. Didn't they used to have that Mesopotamian-theme going? Like, it's not much of a stretch; the Assyrian-Empire(s) were early adopters of iron and they apparently just loved skull piles and flayed skin carpets everywhere. Also, incredible beards. Why should Space Wolves be the only beardy marines?

Horus Heresy is making them part Greco-Roman, part Ottoman. Perturabo's been characterized as a guy who at his heart wants nothing to do with the Emperor's brutal, authoritarian vision of the Imperium or indeed with the military at all, but because the Emperor expects him to be a warlord he doesn't say a word and channels his resentment into his brutal, coldly calculated style of war. Perturabo has absolutely no regard for the lives of his soldiers because the cause they volunteered for and sacrificed so much for is worthless in his eyes.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Ottoman? Really? Wow.
But then again, that's basically Roman anyway :agesilaus:

I wonder what the record for longest filibuster in the Imperial Senate is? The Imperium can't get poo poo done because someone's been droning on for millennia and it would be heresy sacrelige to interrupt. Or the chairman predeceased the filibuster, and now they're stuck in deliberative limbo, where no one has the authority to force a long dead senator to yield the floor.

Here's another one for tech priests; oral tradition. All of the technical knowledge of the Imperium is encoded into their rites, songs and stories.
Darmok at Tinagra, when the void shields fell.
If you want to take it to 40K extremes, for the techpriests literacy is archaeotech, and fragmentary STCs are stories that have lost their required context. They're still valuable if you can assemble enough of them for exegesis. Or the complete STC is an epic saga that strains the capacity of human memory, and loses much when abridged.
Also you have to sacrifice cows and heroquest when building things.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Cythereal posted:

Horus Heresy is making them part Greco-Roman, part Ottoman. Perturabo's been characterized as a guy who at his heart wants nothing to do with the Emperor's brutal, authoritarian vision of the Imperium or indeed with the military at all, but because the Emperor expects him to be a warlord he doesn't say a word and channels his resentment into his brutal, coldly calculated style of war. Perturabo has absolutely no regard for the lives of his soldiers because the cause they volunteered for and sacrificed so much for is worthless in his eyes.

Perturabo looking over all the lovingly crafted models and blueprints for buildings and machines that have nothing to do with war and being sad that he'll never get to build them is the most :smith: thing in the whole 40k universe.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Was there any Primarch that Emps didn't go out of his way to violently poo poo on their hopes and dreams?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ronwayne posted:

Is there any one of his kids that Emps didn't go out of his way to violently poo poo on the hopes and dreams of?

The Emperor really isn't very good with people.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sacrificing cows and heroquesting owns pretty much no matter what the occasion :black101:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Whats the verdict on the published adventures we have so far? Which ones to avoid, which ones to play?

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
This week in BLACK CRUSADE:black101:, the group decided to move from killing redemptionists and experimenting with drugs to become Ocean's 11. The entire session was the group bluffing, lying, confusing, and talking through way through guards, civilians, tech priests, and port security so they could hook up their "barrels o' drugs" (chaos vomit) to the air filtration system in the hive. As soon as they had done so they booked it as fast as possible to their shuttle that was still landed on the pads before the entire hive went crazy. As the group left Fenksworld, the hive turned into the hell scene from Event Horizon.

Now having accomplished their mission (that they were making it up as they went along), they headed back home to their station. A station that one of the group realized is unimaginably powerful. They just have to figure out how to move the drat thing to new systems...

Also, the heretek of the party wound up getting a fused weapon from the corruption gain of the hive. He chose a meat hammer of course. A heretek, with a triple barreled shotgun that never has to reload. We're not sure if anyone actually noticed that the gun is fused to him considering all the metal bits.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ronwayne posted:

Was there any Primarch that Emps didn't go out of his way to violently poo poo on their hopes and dreams?
Probably Roboute Gulliman and Leman Russ? Unsurprisingly, ones that stayed loyal to him all the while.

I appreciate that as they expand the fluff about the Primarches and the heresy, they'll adding some complexity to the ones that turned and their various relationships. It's a lot better than the original cliffnotes, which was basically 'some of them were tainted when Chaos swept them away, and betrayed the Emperor because of it'.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rockopolis posted:

Ottoman? Really? Wow.
But then again, that's basically Roman anyway :agesilaus:

I can get behind the Ottoman inspiration the Iron Warriors are starting to get. They were early masters of gunpowder and especially artillery, and it was with cannons that they brought down the supposedly invincible fortress of Constantinople.

Not at all a bad way to go when the Ultrasmurfs and Emperor's Children are already doing the Greco-Roman thing.

quote:

Probably Roboute Gulliman and Leman Russ? Unsurprisingly, ones that stayed loyal to him all the while.

From what's been seen, also the other loyalist primarchs. Sanguinius is a weird case, though, in that Sanguinius' loyalty is founded on massive insecurity. He's desperately afraid that the slightest hint of not being exactly what the Emperor wants of him will make the Blood Angels join the II and XI legions and that fear makes Sanguinius incorruptible in the eyes of Chaos.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

You know what happened with the 2 missing Primarchs? Ogryns. They grow up on these heavily irradiated high gravity worlds, have kids and pass on the old fashioned way. Daddy Emprah is fairly literal for them.
Also Squats. :psydwarf:

Tias posted:

Sacrificing cows and heroquesting owns pretty much no matter what the occasion :black101:
One of the things I think of for a Primitive Regiment.
The other is :ninja:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

I can get behind the Ottoman inspiration the Iron Warriors are starting to get. They were early masters of gunpowder and especially artillery, and it was with cannons that they brought down the supposedly invincible fortress of Constantinople.

Nope, even the Great Bombard couldn't bring down the Theodosian Walls. The city fell when a traitor on the inside opened a gate to the besiegers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zeal posted:

Nope, even the Great Bombard couldn't bring down the Theodosian Walls. The city fell when a traitor on the inside opened a gate to the besiegers.

Facts don't matter as much as the myth that grew up around it when it comes to things like this, I think. It's only a partial influence on the Iron Warriors from what's been seen so far, but their artillery division in particular gets it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

zeal posted:

Pretty much always how Constantinople was taken every time it was taken.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I thought the fuckhuge cannon actually did breach and it was legit stormed and the 'traitor' bit was made up to cover up how the Byzantines just got militarily outclassed by the Turks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought they just got massively outnumbered and overwhelmed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

goatface posted:

I thought they just got massively outnumbered and overwhelmed.

Well, that too. Centuries of civil war, getting curbstomped by the Crusaders at the behest of the Venetians in the 1200s, the decay of the thematic military system, the invention of better weapons, and the ascendance of the Turks did not help the Byzantine Empire's chances come the 1400s.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Shouldn't Rogal Dorn be the first on the list or did the Emperor try loving with him as well.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Wasnt dorne the one who got super emo and broke himself and his legion against the cage and there was literally nothing inside

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waroduce posted:

Wasnt dorne the one who got super emo and broke himself and his legion against the cage and there was literally nothing inside

That was after Terra, and that was Dorn going nuts trying to kill Perturabo.

The Emp treated all the loyalist primarchs pretty well, plus Alpharius, Horus, and Fulgrim. Magnus, Angron, Mortarion, Lorgar, Curze, and Perturabo were all the ones the Emperor mistreated pretty badly. Fundamentally, Magnus, Lorgar, Curze, and Perturabo all didn't want anything to do with war but were pressed into roles they didn't want and weren't ready for because they were primarchs and that was that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
Horus, was, as I recall, the Emperor's favorite. As the first to be recovered, he was the "firstborn" and had a really close relationship with daddy, who showered honours on his Legion.

Then he got wounded by a Daemon weapon and taken to Chaos worshipers to be "healed."

I think he also was kind of the guy who empathized with the other Primarchs with a beef, and Chaos showed him the Imperium as it would turn out after the Heresy and told him that it was what the Emperor was trying to build.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hodgepodge posted:

Horus, was, as I recall, the Emperor's favorite. As the first to be recovered, he was the "firstborn" and had a really close relationship with daddy, who showered honours on his Legion.

Then he got wounded by a Daemon weapon and taken to Chaos worshipers to be "healed."

I think he also was kind of the guy who empathized with the other Primarchs with a beef, and Chaos showed him the Imperium as it would turn out after the Heresy and told him that it was what the Emperor was trying to build.

I dunno, I've always been of the mind it was going to end up similar to how it is either way, because Empy's plan really wasn't going to work. That, and Chaos loves not even having to lie to you to get you to do what it wants.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hunt11 posted:

Shouldn't Rogal Dorn be the first on the list or did the Emperor try loving with him as well.

Honestly I don't know, those were just the two that I remembered being pretty ok with the Emperor showing up and demanding that they drop everything to join his crazytown parade.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Horus was daddys fav son

The 1st Legion, The Dark Angels, were daddys fav legion and have the longest record, and acess to equipment and secret weapons other legions do not and they are all loving heretics and their primarch fell

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

Facts don't matter as much as the myth that grew up around it when it comes to things like this, I think. It's only a partial influence on the Iron Warriors from what's been seen so far, but their artillery division in particular gets it.

If you want to remember fond legends of the Great Bombard, cherish a real one: how in 1807, when the Royal Navy tried to make a descent on Istanbul, the defenders dug the Great Bombard out of whatever fort it was verdigrising away in, loaded it up, and used it to rip the guts out of some man-o-war.

The real achievement of Ottoman artillery, perfected in the time of Sultan Sulieman I was their revolutionary use of advance spotters to supply the coordinating information necessary to achieve accurate indirect fire with their guns. Truly the Ottomans were the first to roll their scatter dice without subtracting their BS from the result.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zeal posted:

If you want to remember fond legends of the Great Bombard, cherish a real one: how in 1807, when the Royal Navy tried to make a descent on Istanbul, the defenders dug the Great Bombard out of whatever fort it was verdigrising away in, loaded it up, and used it to rip the guts out of some man-o-war.

The real achievement of Ottoman artillery, perfected in the time of Sultan Sulieman I was their revolutionary use of advance spotters to supply the coordinating information necessary to achieve accurate indirect fire with their guns. Truly the Ottomans were the first to roll their scatter dice without subtracting their BS from the result.

All the same, Angel Exterminatus gives the Iron Warriors a lot of Ottoman names, particularly around their vehicle and artillery units. The Iron Warriors are also shown to be avid wargamers, with their leaders constantly playing strategy games against each other in simulations of past and hypothetical future conflicts.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

zeal posted:

I don't imagine anything until the advent of multiple inch thick steel broadsides is going to stop a meter wide metal ball smashing into the side.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

zeal posted:

Truly the Ottomans were the first to roll their scatter dice without subtracting their BS from the result.

wouldn't this increase scatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ronwayne posted:

I don't imagine anything until the advent of multiple inch thick steel broadsides is going to stop a meter wide metal ball smashing into the side.

15th century bronze bombards generally fired stone, and in 1807 i expect the gunners stuffed whatever they could grab down the barrel if they thought they could reasonably hit the ships with it, but yeah. stone shot has the added benefit of spraying shrapnel wherever it strikes.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

wouldn't this increase scatter

Ordinance can fire at targets they lack line of sight on if you forego the BS subtraction :thejoke: