Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

i took up someone's invitation to TK him. booted :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.
In honor of April 1st, I've doubled down on the old Wotlabs signature.png joke and edited my xvm config to invert the red/purple color scale. It's probably the funniest thing I've ever seen in this game - it brought me genuinely to tears laughing when I spawned into a test game and saw this:

It's simple to do, if you want to share in the cheap laugh: just edit the appropriate section of your colors.xc as below:
code:
    "colorRating": {
      "unique":       "0xFE0E00",
      "very_good":    "0xFE7903",
      "good":         "0xF8F400",
      "normal":       "0x60FF00",
      "bad":          "0x02C9B3",
      "very_bad":     "0xD042F3"
    },
Warning: it kinda broke my brain for a bit when I tried playing serious games at tier 10.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Ahahahaha, that's wonderful.

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011
The mini patch broke a certain exe that can be run in tandem with tanks and makes shooting over long distances much easier.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Fisherman's bay platoon carry. All 1390s. Anyone who says "You shouldn't play all lights" should probably learn to play. I ran out of silver :(

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 31, 2015

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Fisherman's bay platoon carry. All 1390s. Anyone who says "You shouldn't play all lights" should probably learn to play. I ran out of silver :(

If you aren't "out of silver" when loading into the game in a 1390, you are doing it wrong.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Rothmog posted:

The mini patch broke a certain exe that can be run in tandem with tanks and makes shooting over long distances much easier.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

notwithoutmyanus posted:

13 90 owns and strongholds of 10 13 90s also own.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Spent 50g

Renamed my radio man in my 215b to Sean Bean, and changed his picture to the young looking Sean Bean.

No ragrets

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Mesadoram posted:

Spent 50g

Renamed my radio man in my 215b to Sean Bean, and changed his picture to the young looking Sean Bean.

No ragrets

But does he die every match?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

How many years has this game been out? And cunts will still rush the valley on Lakeville. Jesus Christ, they even do it when the cap is in the town. It's the most consistently predictable piece of stupidity I have seen in any multiplayer game ever. Heaviest tank? Into the valley!

the worst is when you call people idiots for doing that and they end up winning the match because the other team went all into town.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mesadoram posted:

Spent 50g

No ragrets

I went with Jason Statham when I decided to rename my Caernavon's crew.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Infected posted:

But does he die every match?

Sadly he is not a KV-5 radio man :smith:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rothmog posted:

If you aren't "out of silver" when loading into the game in a 1390, you are doing it wrong.

Huh, do you have difficulty aiming tanks or something? Why load all acpr and ruin any profits?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Huh, do you have difficulty aiming tanks or something? Why load all acpr and ruin any profits?
Even if you aim, the 13 90 isn't accurate enough to reliably hit weak points unless you're really close to your target. If you're really close to your target, you should probably be moving or you're going to get gibbed. If you're moving, you can't aim for weak points.

170 pen works okay on the 13 90, but the tank is so much better shooting APCR. Especially in the tier 10 games that it will routinely see.

edit: and if you want profits, don't play the 13 90.

edit2: I used to believe that shooting gold in tanks was dumb unless you specifically needed to pen something you couldn't otherwise pen, but I finally gave in to peer pressure and started using the 105 mm for the AMX M4 45, which really has to shoot APCR to be useful. That tank is a loving god at tier 7 with APCR 105mm. And for some reason, it actually doesn't lose money when shooting APCR as long as you actually cause damage with most of your shots.

The same thing is true with the T69. It is a really marginal tank unless you shoot HEAT, in which case it becomes really good.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 31, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Uranium 235 posted:

edit: and if you want profits, don't play the 13 90.

This has pretty much been my experience with all the auto-loaders I have played. I mean I still load some silver for scout duals but if you need to carry a team gold is almost mandatory.

I haven't played the French Heavy Auto-Loaders but their Silver pen seems decent.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

BadLlama posted:

This has pretty much been my experience with all the auto-loaders I have played. I mean I still load some silver for scout duals but if you need to carry a team gold is almost mandatory.

I haven't played the French Heavy Auto-Loaders but their Silver pen seems decent.
I don't use gold at all on my Bulldog or T71, but I remember using some on the Chaffee and T37. Having standard APCR ammo is pretty nice for the American autoloader scouts, and that means that the gold ammo is HEAT, which really sucks if you hit tracks or spaced armor.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mans posted:

the worst is when you call people idiots for doing that and they end up winning the match because the other team went all into town.

I wasn't that lucky. The combination of pissbabbies on my team and competent enemies meant I lost 4% from my winrate in that tank. Not to mention I went from 81.5% MoE to 78% in a couple of hours. I should really have stopped, but I was chasing a 2x crew experience event.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Mans posted:

ugh its the worst when you call someone put for doing something that is patently dumb, and somehow they come out on top. Cause not only do you feel like an idiot, it reinforced to that person their poo poo play was a good one.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
That's one reason I like the WZ-132. The gun can actually penetrate most tanks with AP except for the front slabs of most Tier X's. After the last update, the gun was buffed and I can hit things on the move fairly easily. My initial feel is that it's been much improved.

I am not a fan of the 13-75 gun/aiming while moving, and from reading above it seems I should put getting the 13-90 on the back burner as it sounds like more of the same.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What sucks is after how many games you have to carry there are some games you just make poor decisions and end up not performing great and there tends to be some poo poo lord 45% ready to just call you out for not playing like your stats even though they are already dead in the bottom of a lake. Like they just have some built up rage they are waiting to let lost on the first none shitter they see not playing well.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

WitchFetish posted:

I went with Jason Statham when I decided to rename my Caernavon's crew.

I changed my firefly commander to Malcolm Reynolds.

You can't take the sky from me! :clint:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Uranium 235 posted:

Even if you aim, the 13 90 isn't accurate enough to reliably hit weak points unless you're really close to your target. If you're really close to your target, you should probably be moving or you're going to get gibbed. If you're moving, you can't aim for weak points.

170 pen works okay on the 13 90, but the tank is so much better shooting APCR. Especially in the tier 10 games that it will routinely see.

Scout tanks aren't supposed to be in people's faces. A majority of my shots are sniping like a td when opportunity presented itself. Yet 70%+ accuracy isn't hard.

In a scout you don't aim or brawl, you autoaim and run circles.

I guess I don't play anywhere near like you do?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Uranium 235 posted:

I don't use gold at all on my Bulldog or T71, but I remember using some on the Chaffee and T37. Having standard APCR ammo is pretty nice for the American autoloader scouts, and that means that the gold ammo is HEAT, which really sucks if you hit tracks or spaced armor.

Just a reminder for everyone here - do not shoot HEAT from the T71/M41, or from tier ten mediums. APCR is a vastly superior round to HEAT. You can carry some HEAT for specifically the side of E100/Maus turrets where you just need a little bit more raw pen.

The tier seven lights' HEAT is laughably lovely value - 210 pen compared to 175 pen for APCR, 150 damage for 5600 credits. Tier ten medium HEAT isn't nearly as poo poo value, but if you're shooting HEAT in a medium brawl and your opponent is shooting APCR, you are much more liable to whiff shots that would otherwise pen no problem. And for gently caress's sake do not shoot HEAT at a WT100.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Hellsau posted:

Just a reminder for everyone here - do not shoot HEAT from the T71/M41, or from tier ten mediums. APCR is a vastly superior round to HEAT. You can carry some HEAT for specifically the side of E100/Maus turrets where you just need a little bit more raw pen.

The tier seven lights' HEAT is laughably lovely value - 210 pen compared to 175 pen for APCR, 150 damage for 5600 credits. Tier ten medium HEAT isn't nearly as poo poo value, but if you're shooting HEAT in a medium brawl and your opponent is shooting APCR, you are much more liable to whiff shots that would otherwise pen no problem. And for gently caress's sake do not shoot HEAT at a WT100.

I stopped carrying HEAT on the 140 outside of like 3 rounds because I ran out of APCR after doing 4800 DMG and had 15 heat rounds and it failed to pen the flat side of an e100 because of reasons. loving point blank in the side NOOOOOPPPPEEEE

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Alternatively fire nothing but HEAT and when people bitch and moan just respond with something about not being poor and you can afford the money( As in real dollars) for the rounds.

The choice is yours.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I stopped carrying HEAT on the 140 outside of like 3 rounds because I ran out of APCR after doing 4800 DMG and had 15 heat rounds and it failed to pen the flat side of an e100 because of reasons. loving point blank in the side NOOOOOPPPPEEEE

E-100 side armour is spaced. Shoot them in the track part and HEAT will still go through. The rest of the side is like triple spaced armour that HEAT doesn't work on.

At the same time, APCR doesn't either.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
How do yall handle XVM? I want to customize it to show fewer numbers than the included Sirmax version in the download, but I can't tell what I'm changing or if anything is even working the way I think. I've just started messing with the configuration editor, but I'm not sure how far out of date it is.

If it was up to me I would have some digital looking letters, with a modern crosshair

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

As far as I know, the online editor doesn't work any more. A few updates back they broke all the configs into little discrete modules, and then call them with master scripts as necessary. It is a loving pain in the rear end to edit now. Mine is still not where I want it, but I got tired of fighting with it. It is good enough until someone writes a new editor.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Thanks, I've spent a while wrestling with the 'main' config file, trying to re-unify all the modules. Now that I know to stop messing with that I can get to actually changing poo poo again, at least.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

SR posted:

- On supertest, IS-3 with autoloader previously was just a regular IS-3 with higher rate of fire. Now, it received a real autoloader for 4 shells with 9 seconds between each shell and 20 second autoloader reload;

Cool.

quote:

- IS-3 with autoloader a special tank or some sort of reward? "For now, no comment. Will be published later."

Lame.

Mephistopheles
Sep 24, 2003

How can I help you?
That exact feeling of precision.

Also, to hell with the AMX 40.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Scout tanks aren't supposed to be in people's faces. A majority of my shots are sniping like a td when opportunity presented itself. Yet 70%+ accuracy isn't hard.

In a scout you don't aim or brawl, you autoaim and run circles.

I guess I don't play anywhere near like you do?
The problem isn't being unable to hit things when sniping in a 13 90, it's being unable to pen things. With 0.38 dispersion and only 170 pen, you're going to have a hard time penning a lot of your possible targets. You don't have the accuracy to reliably hit weak points at a distance. And when you are circling someone, 170 pen can still lead to bounces. Since your clip reload is so long, bouncing one or two shots when you're circling someone can be the difference between surviving the encounter and dying.

With APCR, you have 248 pen, so none of this matters. If you hit a target, you're probably going to pen it unless it's the strong point on the tank (top frontal plate, mantlet, frontal turret). It just opens up so many more opportunities to deal damage for the 13 90.

Like I said, with some tanks, gold rounds aren't really that much better than silver rounds. But some tanks get insanely good gold, and the 13 90 is one of them. 248 APCR is really, really good.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Trigger warning for AMX 40 drivers:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
free exp the entire loving thing and then buy it and design a mod that shows it burning in your garage

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Quick informal survey regarding the articles that I've been translating in this thread: should I keep putting them here, or is everyone who cares following them on my blog anyway? Also, WG started posting articles on modern tanks recently (I wouldn't have the faintest idea as to why, don't ask me), do you guys care about those here, since these vehicles aren't currently in WoT?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

Quick informal survey regarding the articles that I've been translating in this thread: should I keep putting them here, or is everyone who cares following them on my blog anyway? Also, WG started posting articles on modern tanks recently (I wouldn't have the faintest idea as to why, don't ask me), do you guys care about those here, since these vehicles aren't currently in WoT?

What's a blog?

please keep posting them here.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

BadLlama posted:

Alternatively fire nothing but HEAT and when people bitch and moan just respond with something about not being poor and you can afford the money( As in real dollars) for the rounds.

The choice is yours.

I get very happy when people shoot all HEAT at me because it will bounce.

HEAT is bad. Don't shoot HEAT. That includes in the T69, which honestly does not need it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ensign Expendable posted:

I want to see all your posts. In fact I miss your SerB facts, which were more fun than playing tanks half the time! (I realize there may have been regular updates I missed because of everyone posting tank-rage.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Unlocked the Challenger today, and uhh..I know DonkeyHotay said it wasn't that bad, I feel as though I'm going to have to disagree. This is a real bummer of a tank.