Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Smash Bros has an audience of mostly non-nerds though. The most casual of gamers, the kind unlikely to vote on Facebook polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I think it'd only skew that way if you talked to P:M or comp-specific groups. I'm sorta extrapolating from other nerd poo poo, but in some card game FB groups I'm on there's tons of discussion of like ~*~the lore~*~ or card art or other things that don't directly relate to mechanics (or the things that are mechanical, but still "casual" like deck lists that are clearly unviable competitively). Nerdy people gravitate to nerdy places, and there's a lot of people in groups who might not post threads but like reading what other people have to say about stuff they enjoy, and would happily respond to an anonymous survey.

And drawing the line between love of something's mechanics and it as an abstract character seems pretty arbitrary anyway. Super Mario World is probably my favorite single player game ever, but that's almost entirely because moving around and jumping feels really loving good, the sprites are the perfect size for me relative to the amount of screen you see (compared to a lot of modern platformers where poo poo is super tiny ala Meatboy or old some games where the sprites are huge), you get to run fast, and it breaks in really funny ways. The game's atmosphere and colors are nice but honestly I can think of games with better aesthetics for me (like Yoshi's Island) that I don't like quite as much.

Hey man that's really cool, but I'm gonna have to stop you right there, because Yoshi's Island was the greatest game of all time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mabels big day posted:

Hey man that's really cool, but I'm gonna have to stop you right there, because Yoshi's Island was the greatest game of all time.

That's not true, Super Mario World is.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

How interesting that neither of you said Dr Mario was the best game. Indicative of a wider trend?

Also it's OoT, don't delude yourselves.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
whatever

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Countblanc posted:

That's not true, Super Mario World is.

Everything about Yoshi's Island is better, so you're wrong.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic adventure 2 battle is the best video game, actually

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sharrrk posted:

sonic adventure 2 battle is the best video game, actually

it is

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
It hasn't aged gracefully but it's still pretty great.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

mamelon posted:

How is Jigglypuff in Smash 4? I always appreciated the notion that it was a bit of a troll character - players shying away from its appearance, mannerisms, and goofy moveset only to be owned hard by anyone with the patience to master it.

Jiggly is one of the main Smash characters.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
^ not "how" as in "how could they????? fist shake," I know it's a series veteran. I meant as in what is its quality as a fighter in the current game.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

mamelon posted:

^ not "how" as in "how could they????? fist shake," I know it's a series veteran. I meant as in what is its quality as a fighter in the current game.

What do you have against Jiggs? She's been in the series since the beginning. You must really hate Nintendo games.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Just mad that it doesn't have a "draw on poo poo with a marker" attack.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

mamelon posted:

Just mad that it doesn't have a "draw on poo poo with a marker" attack.

Only 90s Pokéfags will get this.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

mamelon posted:

I ask that same poo poo about Captain Falcon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Everything about Yoshi's Island is better, so you're wrong.

Yo agreeing with this

Super Mario World is good but Yoshi's Island is the best platformer ever made

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Macaluso posted:

Yo agreeing with this

People who haven't played Yoshi's Island since they were kids ITT

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Chakram posted:

People who haven't played Yoshi's Island since they were kids ITT

I've played Yoshi's Island as recently as sometime a few months ago thank you very MUCH :colbert:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Yoshi's Island is great, but don't call it Super Mario World 2.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I've come to this thread to support Project M 3.6.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

F. Lobot posted:

Yoshi's Island is great, but don't call it Super Mario World 2.

I thought Nintendo officially called it that?

edit:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

mamelon posted:

How is Jigglypuff in Smash 4? I always appreciated the notion that it was a bit of a troll character - players shying away from its appearance, mannerisms, and goofy moveset only to be owned hard by anyone with the patience to master it.

This is going to be more of a casual player's look, but I've been playing Jigglypuff since the original, and I decided to learn using her because everyone thought she was terrible, and was quite pleased. If you want a one line look at the mindset I approach the game with, I'm fine with most stages, hazards and all, and I like to play with most items on but on low in 3-4 player FFAs.

If you're a no-items mostly static stage 1v1 sort of player, this will not be any sort of useful overview, but if you were that sort of player, you'd probably be asking on Smashboards, not here.

Quick Jigglypuff overview:

Serious Pros:
-Small size, allowing you to literally and figuratively duck some attacks and items.
-Incredibly low falling speed combined with five mid-air jumps means you can stay airborne for basically as long as you please.
-Unique property of being faster in the air than on the ground. In fact, Jigglypuff is incredibly agile in the air, able to turn laterally on a dime.
-Very strong aerials with good knockback angles (Uair sends basically straight up, while the other four are low ~25 degree angles. You can look up or experience the precise details if you care).
-Because of the above, Jigglypuff is easily the safest offstage fighter to use. I won't necessarily say the best, but the safest. You can hop all the way out to the blastline, kick someone off, and make it back with jumps to spare, and there's not really any bad spot for you to fight at. Compare someone like Falco who also has strong aerials, but has a much smaller off-stage area he can safely play in.
-Of her four default specials, Pound is the only generally good one, but it's worth its weight in gold. It moves Jigglypuff forward, and can be angled up or down. This can be used for recovery stalling and mindgames, but it's also a good attack. It's fast and knocks upward at a close to 90 degree angle. It won't kill, but at mid to high percentages puts your enemy exactly in your preferred battlefield.
-Down-smash in particular has a very mean horizontal knockback. There's more than a few characters who that's a death sentence for, and with Smash 4 gravity and recovery being what it is, that's no mean feat.

Serious Cons:
-Laughably lightweight. Jigglypuff is killed by attacks that wouldn't even knock heavier fighters offstage.
-Slow falling speed is also a big downside. In addition to the obvious part of making you easy to combo, since once you're out of jumps you're stuck floating (this is why Pound is useful), if you're in a race for an item or the Norfair doors or anything of note on the ground, it's a non-trivial time until you land, even fast-falling.
-When you're smaller than some character's limbs, it stands to reason you have no reach. People with swords are not your friends. You're forced to wait until you can sneak in a move, which can be hard against the faster characters. And forget about grabbing, while you're at it.
-It's a minor point, but Jigglypuff's shield breaking is still an instant death unless there's a ceiling. Given the stages with ceilings, you might as well just always call it death.

Fun Pros:
-Sing into Rest is one of the most satisfying things to do in Smash ever. In fact, Sing into anything and anything into Rest is incredibly satisfying. It's possible to combo stuff into Rest. If you can manage to do that, you don't need to be reading any of this.
-Rollout is great fun in multiplayer, when it's harder to see it coming. It's also the most fun way to recover onto the stage.
-Getting decent at Jigglypuff is always worth it for that time when you've got a twelve year old cousin over who thinks Jigglypuff is the worst character in the game and then you school them. It's not very adult and mature to take pride in beating a child, sure, but let's be honest: do you really care?
-Down throw.

Fun Cons:
-Puff Up no longer bugs out on Bridge of Eldin.
-It's even easier to kill yourself with Rollout now.
-You will, at least once per day, try to upward-Pound and instead Sing and die.

General Jigglypuff gameplay is get in the air, hit things, get down. Often you're jumping in, landing attack or two, and then moving back. It's the initial hit that's hardest, as once your target is offstage/in the air, it's your game now. Air dodges are your enemy, so you want to try and bait the dodge, and then hit as soon as they come off it.

The canon Jigglypuff strategy is known as the Wall of Pain. You hit someone offstage, and chase. As they come back, you hit them further off. As they come back again, you hit them again. The effect is of Jigglypuff being an advancing wall pushing them offstage. Proper Wall of Pain usage can kill at embarassingly low damages.

Another useful tactic requires a particular kind of ledge. It can't be passthrough, like Halberd's flying platform or Kongo Jungle 64. It also can't be flat on the sides, like Gamer or Omega Wii Fit Studio. You need a ledge that angles inward, like Battlefield or Final Destination. As they're recovering from below ground level, aerial them towards the stage. Your dair is best, but anything but uair will work. Just make sure to approach from offstage, and you'll be fine. You'll hit them into the diagonal at a side angle, which will bounce into a downward shot. This is a stage spike, and it is the best thing ever. Since it's not a true Meteor Smash, it can't be meteor canceled.
It is possible to tech (recover by hitting shield during knockback on a surface, if you're not familiar) on the wall, but this leaves them a) still under the stage, b) still facing a Jigglypuff who can just hit them again, and thus c) still likely to die. Also, the timing is fairly tight. A really experienced player IRL could manage it pretty consistently. An inexperienced player will probably miss the timing and just die. Online, you're susceptible to lag, and potentially...

...a lag spike.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

you rang

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

whoa

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

has my friend Mewtwo arrived yet

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Reiley posted:

has my friend Mewtwo arrived yet

Mewtwo will not save smash, and neither will star wolf

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Macaluso posted:

Yo agreeing with this

Look at you dumb sad bitches not saying Sonic 3 and Knuckles. :smugbert:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Gaffle posted:

Smash will not be saved until His Majesty King K. Rool is announced as DLC for Smash 4 tomorrow.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Dizz posted:

I ask that same poo poo about Captain Falcon.

Falcon is good. He's high tier; probably the most-played character at our weeklies. His side-B kills, his up tilt is a spike if you hit someone who's recovering, his aerials are awesome. His up air chains into I think both the knee and the stomp.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
A Nintendo Direct is tomorrow for Wii U and 3DS.

I imagine we'll be getting a DLC notification then

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

it is posted:

Falcon is good. He's high tier; probably the most-played character at our weeklies. His side-B kills, his up tilt is a spike if you hit someone who's recovering, his aerials are awesome. His up air chains into I think both the knee and the stomp.

his standard B kills too

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Gaffle posted:

Mewtwo is my friend, and I only want to see them come home safely

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Wolf is going to announce his return, tomorrow

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ice Climbers return, but as Toejam & Earl.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dynamite Headdy joins the fray

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Get acrobatic with... Aero!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Bionic Commando?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Chibi-rob--haha no that will never happen

:(

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Rorus Raz posted:

Ice Climbers return, but as Toejam & Earl.

I would main Toejam & Earl, even if they sucked mechanically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

If you guys think that Direct is going to be anything but an April Fools joke you deserve to have your hopes dashed.

• Locked thread