Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Munaus posted:

it sounds like you're not really reading, just quickly glancing to get the skill levels. I enjoy reading every page on any book I can get my hands on.
This makes me a bad person for grouping

not that I care, I'm going solo

also, is COD and mail a common thing with MMOs?
I used to quickly group people so I could find them to trade motifs, until someone told me I can mail them instead.

When you finish the Mages Guild questline you basically unlock a personal library of every book you've ever seen in game in your quest log I think, so you can go back and gorge yourself on all the books you quickloy skipped over then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Verranicus posted:

When you finish the Mages Guild questline you basically unlock a personal library of every book you've ever seen in game in your quest log I think, so you can go back and gorge yourself on all the books you quickloy skipped over then.
That's the dumb, bad reward. If you choose the other option you get a skill point and you can just read the books online.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

eSporks posted:

That's the dumb, bad reward. If you choose the other option you get a skill point and you can just read the books online.

You unlock it even if you choose the skill point reward. There's no real downside to taking the skill points.

So far released from notes for today's patch:

quote:

If you contribute to killing a boss in a Cyrodiil delve, you will now be granted a 60-minute AP buff which increases your AP gains by 20%.
Note: While this buff will be visible in areas outside of Cyrodiil, it will only be active while in Cyrodiil

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 30, 2015

Munaus
Jan 10, 2015

Verranicus posted:

:fap:
I'm gonna make my second character a mage. Which alliance should I roll this time... where are the EU goons at?

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I jumped back in since F2P and I'm having a blast. What faction are goons most active on? I have a DK on Daggerfall Covenent.

I'm @Gryphic, shoot me an invite.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

So far released from notes for today's patch:
This makes no sense. If you do PVE, you get a buff to your PVP gains.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014

Sorvah posted:

What are the three symbols in the top left of the interface? They seem to correspond to the tank/healer/DPS symbols in the LFG menu but I can;t work out how they apply to e

Anyone got an answer for this? It's driving me mental. I MUST HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

eSporks posted:

This makes no sense. If you do PVE, you get a buff to your PVP gains.

I think it is to incentivize skirmishing in/around delves. Kill a boss and then stick around killing people trying to get to the boss, get more rewards for doing so.

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

Sorvah posted:

Anyone got an answer for this? It's driving me mental. I MUST HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE

Do you have the Foundry Tactical Combat addon installed? If so it's the combat statistics display. The three symbols are damage-per-second, healing-per-second, and incoming damage-per-second.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Beautiful, thank you Nullset.

It hadn't actually occurred to me that they might be from an Add On

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

I think it is to incentivize skirmishing in/around delves. Kill a boss and then stick around killing people trying to get to the boss, get more rewards for doing so.
What you are going to get, is PvP running a delve near their home keep in safety. They will also be frustrated that they are forced to participate in PvE in order to poopsock PvP as hard as possible.
They need to encourage PvEers to enter cyrodil, not encourage PvPers to grind PvE more.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Berke Negri posted:

New VR level, new armor.

old:

new:

5/5 with the Seducer set for the 8% magicka cost reduction and then 4/5 of the Death's Wind set when sword and shield are equipped because I can't craft anything more interesting yet.

Which style is your first set of armor? It looks fantastic and I am jealous :q:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Looks like Dunmer Heavy to me.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Dunmer heavy chest piece and pauldrons, rest of the armor is Dunmer light armor.

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009
Found this combination list earlier for discovering alchemy traits, thought I'd repost it here as it was quite useful when I was starting out potion making. These combos will discover you all the traits.

Blessed Thistle + Dragonthorn
Blessed Thistle + Stinkthorn
Blue Entoloma + Bugloss
Blue Entoloma + White Cap
Bugloss + Columbine
Columbine + Mountain Flower
Corn Flower + Lady Smock
Corn Flower + Violet Coprinus
Emetic Russula + Stinkthorn
Emetic Russula + Violet Coprinus
Imp Stool + Mountain Flower
Lady Smock + Violet Coprinus
Luminous Russula + Mountain Flower

Blessed Thistle + Namira's Rot
Blue Entoloma + Namira's Rot
Bugloss + White Cap
Columbine + Wormwood
Corn Flower + Wormwood
Dragonthorn + Stinkthorn
Dragonthorn + Water Hyacinth
Emetic Russula + Water Hyacinth
Imp Stool + Luminous Russula
Imp Stool + Nirnroot
Lady Smock + Namira's Rot
Luminous Russula + Wormwood
Nirnroot + White Cap

Luminous Russula + Water Hyacinth
Namira's Rot + Nirnroot
Namira's Rot + Water Hyacinth
Namira's Rot + Wormwood
Nirnroot + Violet Coprinus
Water Hyacinth + Wormwood

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ridinspinnaz posted:

Found this combination list earlier for discovering alchemy traits, thought I'd repost it here as it was quite useful when I was starting out potion making. These combos will discover you all the traits.

Blessed Thistle + Dragonthorn
Blessed Thistle + Stinkthorn
Blue Entoloma + Bugloss
Blue Entoloma + White Cap
Bugloss + Columbine
Columbine + Mountain Flower
Corn Flower + Lady Smock
Corn Flower + Violet Coprinus
Emetic Russula + Stinkthorn
Emetic Russula + Violet Coprinus
Imp Stool + Mountain Flower
Lady Smock + Violet Coprinus
Luminous Russula + Mountain Flower

Blessed Thistle + Namira's Rot
Blue Entoloma + Namira's Rot
Bugloss + White Cap
Columbine + Wormwood
Corn Flower + Wormwood
Dragonthorn + Stinkthorn
Dragonthorn + Water Hyacinth
Emetic Russula + Water Hyacinth
Imp Stool + Luminous Russula
Imp Stool + Nirnroot
Lady Smock + Namira's Rot
Luminous Russula + Wormwood
Nirnroot + White Cap

Luminous Russula + Water Hyacinth
Namira's Rot + Nirnroot
Namira's Rot + Water Hyacinth
Namira's Rot + Wormwood
Nirnroot + Violet Coprinus
Water Hyacinth + Wormwood

The Alchemy addon sort of makes this feel like using smoke signals when we have cell phones. When you use an Alchemy table a full list pops up and you just click what effects you want in your potion no matter if you know the effects of the materials or not. :)

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

NuckmasterJ posted:

The Alchemy addon sort of makes this feel like using smoke signals when we have cell phones. When you use an Alchemy table a full list pops up and you just click what effects you want in your potion no matter if you know the effects of the materials or not. :)

This information might be more useful when the console versions roll out and addons may be impossible.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I feel very sorry for anyone on console that can't use addons. The UI in this game is poo poo.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

I've had the game for over a week now and have finally got my stuff together with add ons and controller. Requesting an invite to the EP goon guild to @illBilliam please.

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 31, 2015

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

eSporks posted:

I feel very sorry for anyone on console that can't use addons. The UI in this game is poo poo.

Having to check an out of game map for skyshards and lorebooks? Worse than death.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
So I went into Cyrodil for the first time last night after hitting level 10. I'll summarise:

'Wow this is a big zone'
'Oh a quest!'
'Siege weapons are pretty cool'
'Got all my quests now...to combat!'
'Where's the combat?'
'Map doesn't say anything'
'People talking about some gate beginning with a G, let me check the map'
'OK got it....can't teleport there, looks like I'm running'
'Still running'
'You can get Jute in Cyrodil!'
'Still running'
'Ah I think I see the castle!...wait that's just a wall...ah right, I have to go through the gate'.
'I'll just keep following the wall to the gate'
'Quite a nice wall this, doing it's job well'.
'Ah the gate!'
'Is that an enemy?'
'Dead'
'Revive at original position'.
'gently caress this'.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Sorvah posted:

So I went into Cyrodil for the first time last night after hitting level 10. I'll summarise:

'Wow this is a big zone'
'Oh a quest!'
'Where's the combat?'
'Still running'
'Still running'
'Ah I think I see the castle!...wait that's just a wall...ah right, I have to go through the gate'.
'Ah the gate!'
'Is that an enemy?'
'Dead'
'gently caress this'.

lol at all of this

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Protip: type "lfg" in zone chat

(That was almost exactly my first experience as well)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bear is driving! posted:

I jumped back in since F2P and I'm having a blast. What faction are goons most active on? I have a DK on Daggerfall Covenent.

I'm @Gryphic, shoot me an invite.

Just a Sip Good Sir! Just A Sip ;)

Someone send an invite to the DC guild for @stanleypain I'm pretty much perma camped in Cyrodill or Westsomething stealing all the things.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sorvah posted:

'Wow this is a big zone'
'Oh a quest!'
'Where's the combat?'
'Still running'
'Still running'
'Ah the gate!'
'Is that an enemy?'
'Dead'
'gently caress this'.

The moral of this story is never roam alone. The first thing you should always do is find a band of people to follow around. Doesn't need to be a zerg.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Xavier434 posted:

The moral of this story is never roam alone. The first thing you should always do is find a band of people to follow around. Doesn't need to be a zerg.

Indeed, always LFG. Some times you have to do it multiple times. The more and more you go to Cyrodil though people will remember you so try to stay positive and be helpful! Save lives, take lives, be a boss.

After release I found a bunch of the same guys running cyrodil gank groups and it was always fun to get together with them when ever they were online. Nowadays with quests buffed its a bonus to be there.

P.S. I'd like to get a Skyshard run going one day with my fellow goons in DC if anyone is down.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

eSporks posted:

I picked this up over the weekend and was really disappointed to find that there isn't a minimap without add-ons. I installed almost all of the add-ons in the OP. It's nice that the functionality is there, but console players are gonna get shafted.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

We need to get more Cyrodil gank squads running, that stuff was fun at launch. You fools should also get into mumble.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

eSporks posted:

We need to get more Cyrodil gank squads running, that stuff was fun at launch. You fools should also get into mumble.

I'd be in mumble but Pillars released. :v:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Once I get my nb alt up to 15 and can weapon switch I'd be down for some non-vet campaigns. Try and get that done by this weekend.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Cyrodiil, like Guild Wars 2's WvW, just seems to be frustrating and unrewarding bullshit if you go there the first minute it becomes available. Additionally, even ignoring the bit where you have access to half the skills of a level 15, your total skill library is extremely limited. Worse yet, just like GW2 at release, it's very difficult to grind out skill levels without the fast and frequent PVE questing/grinding to power you through.

Cyrodiil feels more like a DAOC map design than WvW did -- it's just a shame they decided to co-opt the actual mechanics from GW2 instead of DAOC.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

If you absolutely must start pvping at ten I would probably recommend going through and grabbing all the skyshards in your faction zones that are easy to get to before you commit. That should net you about twenty or so skill points for an evenings worth of running around getting a lot of exploration exp too. A fresh level ten with minimal questing barely has enough to go around between class skills, weapon skills, and armor passives.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm in a guild that focuses on pre vet PvP. These dudes do nothing but PvP from level 10-50 and then they re-roll.
One of them mentioned to self rezing on the spot doesn't cost soul gems until level 6, so at level 3 he will just hit all the zones in his faction grabbing shards. When he dies he just rezes and gets a little closer.
Most of what's going to hold you back in pre-vet is the passives though. Your stats all scale so equipment or level isn't a huge deal, but the passives provide pretty big bonuses.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I have a few dumb newbie questions.

I've been using a level 8 altmer sorcerer. I've been trying to equip all light armor, but should I use a slot for medium and heavy to level them up as well?

I have no idea how to look for maple for woodworking or jute for clothing. I found them for getting certified but I can't find any in the wild. Should I be looking for something specifically?

If I go crazy and run to the other end of the map, will I be able to activate fast travel points even if they're not showing up on the map?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Bloodplay it again posted:

I have a few dumb newbie questions.

I've been using a level 8 altmer sorcerer. I've been trying to equip all light armor, but should I use a slot for medium and heavy to level them up as well?

I have no idea how to look for maple for woodworking or jute for clothing. I found them for getting certified but I can't find any in the wild. Should I be looking for something specifically?

If I go crazy and run to the other end of the map, will I be able to activate fast travel points even if they're not showing up on the map?

Five pieces of your main armor and one piece each of the other two armor types is good starting out so you are leveling all three at once. Once you are farther along most players either use seven pieces of the same type or five one and two of the other to compliment their play style.

Maple and jute are on the map but can sometimes be hard to spot when you're just running around. Both craft trees have passives which will highlight them so you can see them easier. If you deconstruct everything you come across you'll end up with a lot of mats that way too.

Yes. Wayshrines show up permanently on your map once you discover them.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Thanks for the invite @hberke!
I'll be down for whatever when I level up a bit. Gank squads sounds fun.

LotionMan
Nov 1, 2004
Shut up, or I'll give you a nasty rash !
Well, I'm enjoying this so far, at lvl 10 on my dk - just running around doing sidequests,
would like and invite to EP for @skildirsha

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

Five pieces of your main armor and one piece each of the other two armor types is good starting out so you are leveling all three at once. Once you are farther along most players either use seven pieces of the same type or five one and two of the other to compliment their play style.

Maple and jute are on the map but can sometimes be hard to spot when you're just running around. Both craft trees have passives which will highlight them so you can see them easier. If you deconstruct everything you come across you'll end up with a lot of mats that way too.

Yes. Wayshrines show up permanently on your map once you discover them.

Thanks for the info. The passives for light armor are nice, but I didn't figure it would matter until I'm a way higher level. I'll be sure to equip the other two types. Aside from asking in zone/trade chat, the only way to buy armor is to get a random box from a clothier or getting it as a drop, right? That's the only reason I went with clothing/woodworking. It's gotta be easier to make my own gear without a server-wide trading system, right?

I have the two passives for highlighting resources, but I haven't been able to stumble upon much in the wild. Came across jute by accident once while pulling some nirnroot. Maybe it would help if I lowered graphics settings to decrease flora quality/quantity.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Bloodplay it again posted:

Thanks for the info. The passives for light armor are nice, but I didn't figure it would matter until I'm a way higher level. I'll be sure to equip the other two types. Aside from asking in zone/trade chat, the only way to buy armor is to get a random box from a clothier or getting it as a drop, right? That's the only reason I went with clothing/woodworking. It's gotta be easier to make my own gear without a server-wide trading system, right?

I have the two passives for highlighting resources, but I haven't been able to stumble upon much in the wild. Came across jute by accident once while pulling some nirnroot. Maybe it would help if I lowered graphics settings to decrease flora quality/quantity.

You can buy armor from NPCs (don't do this) guild stores, and from stealing. It shouldn't be too much of a problem finding mats in the wild, though a lot of people have come back/new to the game and it might be over picked right now I don't know. You should be able to find some.

You will also come across a ton of dropped gear that you can break down for resources and make stuff. Except for enchanting crafting is really easy in this game.

Anyone starting out if I'm on just ask me @hberke and I can put together some starter set gear for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

Anyone starting out if I'm on just ask me @hberke and I can put together some starter set gear for you.
I can do this too. @esporks. I have most of the traits unlocked so I can make you some kickass set gear with training trait.

• Locked thread