Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

Fusion. No XYZ-scum allowed.

good, its the way things should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What about Synchro, is Synchro cool

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
rituals and fusions are the only cool ones, as those are the only ones i played with before I stopped following yu-gi-oh

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Caught the first few Arc-V episodes because I am fashionably late to every party. Yuya's pretty great! He's fun and lighthearted but also kinda insecure so the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP thing has more weight since he gets discouraged easily(but not to an annoying extent) and really does need the cheer squad. He won me over immediately when his first summon was a loving hippo. And Yuzu seems and is apparently not completely irrelevant after a single duel! I'm not sure how to take this strange universe where girls can play card games.

also does pendulum summoning ever stop being HYPE AS gently caress with the bombastic music and SWING PENDULUM OF LIGHT and holy poo poo

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

paradoxGentleman posted:

What about Synchro, is Synchro cool

Synchros are cool because they require a special monster type, so they're not AS toolbox-y and overused as XYZs (with exceptions like Stardust). That's my opinion.

e:

Yinlock posted:

also does pendulum summoning ever stop being HYPE AS gently caress with the bombastic music and SWING PENDULUM OF LIGHT and holy poo poo

Arc-V does special summoning like that correctly. Every one is bombastic and given the right amount of gravitas.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Senerio posted:

Synchros are cool because they require a special monster type, so they're not AS toolbox-y and overused as XYZs (with exceptions like Stardust). That's my opinion.

Yeah, Synchro monsters seem to meld together better thematically too, since they all strike me as sorta mechanical. XYZ seems like it's all over the place. I don't know why Camel + Wolf = Dark Dragon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Synchros and rituals are cool too.

Momomo posted:

Yeah, Synchro monsters seem to meld together better thematically too, since they all strike me as sorta mechanical. XYZ seems like it's all over the place. I don't know why Camel + Wolf = Dark Dragon.

This combination can also make Stardust Dragon, just FYI.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

paradoxGentleman posted:

What makes you say that?

Sora and Yuya's duel ended in no result, which continues to drag out Sora's character arc. This should have been wrapped up by now, as he serves no purpose to the plot any longer. As well, it took half a dozen secondary characters to take down three nameless mooks. That time could have been spent elsewhere, like showing us where Yugo, Yuzu and Yuri went, or giving us more reason as to why Academia are trying to do a dimension fusion.

Slur fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 30, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whose character arc should be done? This is gonna be like a 150-episode series.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

This combination can also make Stardust Dragon, just FYI.

You've at least got a Tuner monster there, so it's like Mechanic + Organic. I know I'm overthinking this, I just find XYZ to be a little too easy to do.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Whose character arc should be done? This is gonna be like a 150-episode series.

Sora. He's literally doing nothing for the plot at this point except stalling it out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Slur posted:

Sora. He's literally doing nothing for the plot at this point except stalling it out.

He's doing damage to one of the major characters and causing another who has some stake in the plot to possibly change her perspective on things and lead to major things in the future. Not to mention, Yuya's character is still developing and watching Sora do what he's doing is also having an effect on him. Sora is not some nameless schmuck and it's pretty obvious he's someone of significance in the story.

Momomo posted:

You've at least got a Tuner monster there, so it's like Mechanic + Organic. I know I'm overthinking this, I just find XYZ to be a little too easy to do.

It is, but getting back into this game sure taught me that synchros pretty loving easy to do too.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Slur, you seem to be under a misapprehension - this show is gonna take another two years. We have time to get to other stuff.

Also, Sora was always a major character.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

VJeff posted:

Slur, you seem to be under a misapprehension - this show is gonna take another two years. We have time to get to other stuff.

I don't like filler.

VJeff posted:

Also, Sora was always a major character.

Yes, he is a major character, but I don't see any point in him existing anymore. Baal posted two very clear points about him: he's there in order to psychologically manipulate the protagonists, and he has a pre-established relation with them. I then have to ask: what would Sora's loss have cost in terms of the show's stakes, and what can Sora do that other characters (Dennis and Yuri come to mind) couldn't?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Slur posted:

giving us more reason as to why Academia are trying to do a dimension fusion.

It's because they're the fusion dimension, it's what they do. Duh.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Slur posted:

Yes, he is a major character, but I don't see any point in him existing anymore. Baal posted two very clear points about him: he's there in order to psychologically manipulate the protagonists, and he has a pre-established relation with them. I then have to ask: what would Sora's loss have cost in terms of the show's stakes, and what can Sora do that other characters (Dennis and Yuri come to mind) couldn't?

I feel like Dennis falls under this problem more, since we only just got introduced to him and he's suddenly a weird bad guy. Sora's been present the whole time, and they're clearly going to do something with his character.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Slur posted:

Dennis is not an actively antagonistic person towards the main cast because his purpose is still being established and Yuri just showed up and got vanished to some other place to help further build along the "What the gently caress is up with the different Yuyas, Yuzus, and her bracelet?" plot thread. Sora is the only other person from Fusion Dimension who is not only an antagonist now, but has clear reason to be doing what he's doing to not only further establish his character as a psychopathic child, but the strength of the fusion dimension characters.

There's a lot of reasons why and I am not about to go into the finer details of storytelling to help you understand why Sora doing what he's doing isn't filler or unimportant.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Slur posted:

Sora is an established character who has been a part of the show since pretty much it's beginning, so his reveal to be evil and slow burn to perhaps joining the good guys has a lot of weight since there has been a lot of time spent getting the audience to sympathise with and like him. And beyond what Beef Waifu has said he is also probably one of the most important characters to Yuya's character arc of "Bring smiles to everyone through dueling". Yuya managing to make Sora smile and I dunno understand that he is hurting people would be a significant step forward in his character arc, and since Yuya's the main character his development is going to be a really important part of the series and rushing it isn't going to do the show any favours.

Dennis and Yuri can't really fill that role if only because they haven't had as much screen-time and honestly aren't as sympathetic as Sora yet because sure they're all crazy bastards but Sora had his freak out at the end of the Shun duel and he seemed to sincerely like the people at You Show. Dennis and Yuri serve different roles to the story anyway, Dennis is the double agent and probably going to advance the plotline of what the hell happened to Yuya's dad, because the similarity is not a coincidence. And at this point Yuri is there mainly as an enigma we want to know more about because why would one of Yuya's clones be evil? Which i imagine will be expanded on in Part 2.

I have put too much thought into this silly card game anime.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Sora is my n-word. He's the second best character after Sawatari.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I have put too much thought into this silly card game anime.

It really is bizarre that the writers actually tried this time around. Endgame for this arc isn't nearly as obvious as I remember the original series being.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

On the subject of XYZ and wheter or not it makes sense: the lore behind XYZ monsters, if we feel generous enough to call it that, is that they entered our world through a black hole and that the monsters you use to summon them help stabilize that portal, if I remember correctly.

That is why they do not resemble their XYZ materials: they are only needed to get the XYZ monsters here and have nothing to do with them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paradoxGentleman posted:

On the subject of XYZ and wheter or not it makes sense: the lore behind XYZ monsters, if we feel generous enough to call it that, is that they entered our world through a black hole and that the monsters you use to summon them help stabilize that portal, if I remember correctly.

That is why they do not resemble their XYZ materials: they are only needed to get the XYZ monsters here and have nothing to do with them.

Only if you believe Zexal.
Don't believe zexal.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Roger Slifer, producer of the old Yu-Gi-Oh! dub and card namesake that I'm pretty sure most of you all recognize passed away today. R.I.P. :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
RIP Mr. Executive Producer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

VJeff posted:

Roger Slifer, producer of the old Yu-Gi-Oh! dub and card namesake that I'm pretty sure most of you all recognize passed away today. R.I.P. :smith:

That's why the abridged series kept calling the card "Slifer the Executive Producer"? And all this time I just thought it was a non-sequitur.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VJeff posted:

rip

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

:rip:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So apparently B. Skull Dragon won't kill First of the Dragons (Fusion monsters sans effects aren't normal I guess). I just had that fight in a game. If you want proof, I streamed it because I'm bored and why not. I'll get the video once I finish streaming my games for tonight.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Senerio posted:

So apparently B. Skull Dragon won't kill First of the Dragons (Fusion monsters sans effects aren't normal I guess). I just had that fight in a game. If you want proof, I streamed it because I'm bored and why not. I'll get the video once I finish streaming my games for tonight.

Of course it wont, it's a fusion monster, not a normal monster.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

VJeff posted:

He was also executive producer for Jem and the Holograms and some of Transformers G1. And created DC Comics fan-favorite Lobo with help from Keith Giffen. Dude had a great legacy. :smith:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

He was also executive producer for Jem and the Holograms and some of Transformers G1. And created DC Comics fan-favorite Lobo with help from Keith Giffen. Dude had a great legacy. :smith:

Guess he earned that "egyptian god" status, then.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

YGOhack is a loving machine, the sub of the loving episode isn't even out yet and he's already scripted all the new cards. :stare:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Onmi posted:

Of course it wont, it's a fusion monster, not a normal monster.

Monsters of any extra deck summon are still categorized in between effect and normal monster. Black Skull Dragon should have destroyed First of the Dragons, in this case.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Slur posted:

Monsters of any extra deck summon are still categorized in between effect and normal monster. Black Skull Dragon should have destroyed First of the Dragons, in this case.

It's not "is not an effect monster" it's a "is a normal monster." Fusion or XYZ monsters without effects aren't normal monsters, they're effectless monsters.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Apparently the term is Non-Effect monster but whatever. A fusion monster is not a normal monster unless it specifically states such.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That is the worlds most meaningless distinction.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

That is the worlds most meaningless distinction.

This game is full of those. Nomi and Semi-Nomi is probably my favorite.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

everythingWasBees posted:

Apparently the term is Non-Effect monster but whatever. A fusion monster is not a normal monster unless it specifically states such.

You can't be loving serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Non-Spellcasting_Area

It's a distinction that exists. This used to say non-effect monsters, so Fusion and Ritual monsters without effects could use it.