Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I'm thinking the ultimate mod for perfectionists will be the one where you can choose which of the random buildings build and to what level and what colour. I had the perfect looking little kitschy colourful pedestrian town city thing (below) then they all hit level 5 and turned into ugly grey monstrosities.

I know there's a mod that lets you set the maxiumum level but even being able to choose which building pops up and for the ones in multiple colours the colour and stick it there - that'd rock pretty hard. I could make my happy colours lala land look even more poxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Tambaloneus posted:

I'm thinking the ultimate mod for perfectionists will be the one where you can choose which of the random buildings build and to what level and what colour. I had the perfect looking little kitschy colourful pedestrian town city thing (below) then they all hit level 5 and turned into ugly grey monstrosities.

I know there's a mod that lets you set the maxiumum level but even being able to choose which building pops up and for the ones in multiple colours the colour and stick it there - that'd rock pretty hard. I could make my happy colours lala land look even more poxy.

I hope the devs realise we need some sort of styles chooser. I think choosing EACH building would sap the fun out of randomized buildings [each to their own ofc]. With the thousands od mods already, and more to to come in the coming months. Cities are going to be a mix of so many styles it's going to look silly.

Maybe a city theme chooser [and themes would be player made]. No idea how this would work, but a theme would have building choices, road types and etc

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

simosimo posted:

I hope the devs realise we need some sort of styles chooser. I think choosing EACH building would sap the fun out of randomized buildings [each to their own ofc]. With the thousands od mods already, and more to to come in the coming months. Cities are going to be a mix of so many styles it's going to look silly.

Maybe a city theme chooser [and themes would be player made]. No idea how this would work, but a theme would have building choices, road types and etc

Absolutely, I'd love a theme creator/chooser. There are some lovely buildings popping up on the workshop that'd look great in groups.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

How do I get a stupid number of buses? I built three bus stations but buses only came out of the one, the two other sat idle.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chakron posted:

How do I get a stupid number of buses? I built three bus stations but buses only came out of the one, the two other sat idle.

Increase bus funding or set up more routes.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Increase bus funding or set up more routes.

I did that and got the station to pump out an extra 9 buses for a total of 27. Am I unable to assign multiple bus stations to one route?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chakron posted:

I did that and got the station to pump out an extra 9 buses for a total of 27. Am I unable to assign multiple bus stations to one route?

Bus stations spawn an infinite number of buses. The game automatically determines how many buses to put on a route using a formula I don't really understand. The simplest way to cover the same area with more buses is to divide one large route up into multiple smaller ones, or increase funding for buses.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Got it, thanks.

Feka
Jan 21, 2013

No soup for you!
I had some trouble managing traffic in industrial zones. What do you guys think of my solution?

I found that it works very well to have a cargo train station right in the middle of an industry block.

It takes a good part of the truck traffic off the highway connections and keeps it inside the industry sector itself.

Since I'm at work I can't give you an actual screen shot, so paint had to do it:

The roads inside the industrial block are all 2-lane 2-way roads. Marked with arrows are the incoming and outgoing highway connections.

There are huge amounts of traffic coming out of / going to the cargo station, but with it being very central the traffic distributes quite evenly across the whole grid without causing any major traffic problems.

Next to the cargo station is also a metro and a circular bus route going around the block to manage traffic by workers. There are still quite a few cars and trucks coming in by the highway connection, but it never stresses the road grid in any way so I'm very happy with the way it works now.

In a next step I will test how big I can grow the industry zone around the single train station before traffic starts to go belly up.

Has anyone ever tried using cargo trains to supply (high density) commerce zones to reduce the gigantic amount of doughnut vans cruising around?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Space Jam posted:

Lot makers on the workshop have some weird ideas about where people like to hang out

Storage Wars?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

Well that's odd. When I loaded my game today, I had several neighborhoods complaining about low land values, even though they're in the middle of the scale. Mostly housing, including one section I zoned basically to be super-nice.

Maybe it's all the dead bodies after a population crash, I have no idea.

A similar situation happened to me. Loaded the map and people were strangely complaining about land value in some of my better neighborhoods.

I studied it and worried about it for a bit. Then I gave up and it eventually went away. I think it must have been a bug. I thought it might have had something to do with the recent patch that they recalled on Friday.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

beerinator posted:

A similar situation happened to me. Loaded the map and people were strangely complaining about land value in some of my better neighborhoods.

I studied it and worried about it for a bit. Then I gave up and it eventually went away. I think it must have been a bug. I thought it might have had something to do with the recent patch that they recalled on Friday.

It's been happening since release, I think, random houses in nice neighborhoods complaining loudly about land value, and on the land value overview they're a little tiny pocket of slightly lower land value in the midst of fairly high land value. I've even had buildings get abandoned because of it. Usually I just bulldoze them because it's always some dumb level 4 low density residential house.

I wonder if it's something dumb like "the lowest level house in an area of high level houses lowers the land value of its own immediate area too much in comparison to the surrounding area, preventing it from upgrading" or the like?

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 31, 2015

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

This game has given me such an appreciation of traffic management and made it so obvious that we may do it poorly here in :australia:

This is how we end the freeways here! This is the main north south freeway, I'm pretty sure a kid could have designed it better.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ElZilcho posted:

This game has given me such an appreciation of traffic management and made it so obvious that we may do it poorly here in :australia:

This is how we end the freeways here! This is the main north south freeway, I'm pretty sure a kid could have designed it better.

Adelaide is just as :effort: as in it's taking years on years just to get the freeway done in the first place.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

ElZilcho posted:

That's basically so when they decide to extend the freeway they'll use those ends as the ramps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Space Jam posted:

Lot makers on the workshop have some weird ideas about where people like to hang out

Industrial areas benefit from parks, so people have been making these as 'parks' to put in their industrial areas without breaking up the look and of course the game then sends people to go hang out in them.

I just put down some simple plaza or squares.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You actually don't need to place parks in industrial areas, with enough fire, police and transportation coverage they can max out. The extended building information mod is wonderful for this.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414469593&searchtext=

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

That's basically so when they decide to extend the freeway they'll use those ends as the ramps.

Yeah they've done that in the past before the last extension, surely there is a better way to end the freeway while taking into account future expansion.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MikeJF posted:

Industrial areas benefit from parks, so people have been making these as 'parks' to put in their industrial areas without breaking up the look and of course the game then sends people to go hang out in them.

I just put down some simple plaza or squares.

People only hang out in parks where the park makers put the hang out spots ;)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Space Jam posted:

Watch this, it might help:

A new Strictoaster video guide has gone up, it has a good tip for spacing of stations from roads.

Railroad Design — Design Guide (Cities Skylines Tutorial): https://youtu.be/oYu1nBelDgU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Okay I'm calling it quits on fixing water flow issues. The map looks mostly alright to me, and periodic flooding or water shortages are unrealistic, right? There are a few spots on the map which randomly stop receiving water because I guess it despawns or something, but from what I can tell this happens fairly infrequently and always rectifies itself.
My favorite part of this is how it has beaches that aren't 10 meter cliffs like every other map. Your water flow woes probably explains why they tend to be like that: :v:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
They just need to mod in a kung fu gambling den animation and it's perfect.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

drunkill posted:

A new Strictoaster video guide has gone up, it has a good tip for spacing of stations from roads.

Railroad Design — Design Guide (Cities Skylines Tutorial): https://youtu.be/oYu1nBelDgU

Why is he building then deleting roads as rulers and guides? There are rulers and guides.
e: ^ Just a pissy detail in an otherwise excellent tutorial.

wit fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 31, 2015

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Do these things have an official name or anything?

They're now my go-to junction for connecting local roads in middle of high density areas. The 6-lane one-way acts as a buffer, so frontage roads aren't that necessary and you can adjust the length according to levels of traffic.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Tambaloneus posted:

Have you tried banning hi-rises and not using high tech housing? I'm usually able to keep my apartments nice and blocky that way.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That is purty as hell.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

hailthefish posted:

It's been happening since release, I think, random houses in nice neighborhoods complaining loudly about land value, and on the land value overview they're a little tiny pocket of slightly lower land value in the midst of fairly high land value. I've even had buildings get abandoned because of it. Usually I just bulldoze them because it's always some dumb level 4 low density residential house.

I wonder if it's something dumb like "the lowest level house in an area of high level houses lowers the land value of its own immediate area too much in comparison to the surrounding area, preventing it from upgrading" or the like?

My main problem with what happened to my city is that I saved the game and no one was complaining of low land value. I then loaded the game up the next day and 30 or more houses scattered all through different neighborhoods in a 40k population city were now complaining about low land value. I even tested one particular group of two houses complaining and adding a park next door and a bus stop across the street did nothing. Their value was equal with their neighbors, they were just complaining.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Do cars not turn around? I know delivery truvcks can turn into a property, but normal cars do not deviate. Kind of silly watching vehicles go up a long [dead end] road only to turn around at the end.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

simosimo posted:

Do cars not turn around? I know delivery truvcks can turn into a property, but normal cars do not deviate. Kind of silly watching vehicles go up a long [dead end] road only to turn around at the end.

U-turns are against the law in Cimcity.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes they'll do u-turns in the middle of a chunk of road. Just bounce right over the median like it's no big deal.

Probably a bug of some sort because they only do it for a short time.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
And do cims cross the road at all? Don't think i've seen them do that. They really need a 2 tile WIDE pedestrian bridge, or subway tunnel. The giant ramps for a simple overpass are silly.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

simosimo posted:

And do cims cross the road at all? Don't think i've seen them do that. They really need a 2 tile WIDE pedestrian bridge, or subway tunnel. The giant ramps for a simple overpass are silly.

They do, but only at crosswalks.

Also cars and trucks will do U turns at intersections.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bogan Krkic posted:

This game has suddenly ceased working for me. It gets to the Paradox screen before the menu, sits there for like 60 seconds, and then crashes with the Cities.exe has stopped working message. I've tried disabling the Steam overlay but it changes nothing, anyone else know how to fix it?

Fixed it, all I had to do was unsubscribe from every mod and asset ftw. Anyone have a good compendium of the best mods and custom models for the game so I can resub to them and crash the game again?

e. it's stopped the (very common) error of 'Cities.exe stopped working' on game quit too. Seems like the game just can't handle having a spastic large amount of assets loaded.

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 31, 2015

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

simosimo posted:

Place crosswalks by going from tree to treeless roads.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

drunkill posted:

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking for railroad help for a while now.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Has there been much progress on 'futuristic' mods? I want my city to have vast skyways, a sprawling metropolis of high technology, like a glitterworld city sorta, with huge walls encompassing the place, like those big ones that surrounded the blue zones in CnC 3.

I want to build a future city, like something out of Mass Effect or some poo poo, and while it's close, it lacks the distinctly space-age thing of TOTALITARIAN MILITARY FORTIFICATIONS SEGMENTING THE DISTRICTS.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The map editor in this game is hideously bad when you're working with islands, you have to guess which bit's gonna be above sea level when you're raising because the water doesn't flow off the land for like ten seconds.

vuorikissa
May 1, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Well that's odd. When I loaded my game today, I had several neighborhoods complaining about low land values, even though they're in the middle of the scale. Mostly housing, including one section I zoned basically to be super-nice.

Same thing happened to me today, but in my case (on 1.0.7b) it's the Japanese Gardens doing their vanishing trick again -- yesterday they were there, today they're gone again both from my town and the menu. Odd.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The map editor in this game is hideously bad when you're working with islands, you have to guess which bit's gonna be above sea level when you're raising because the water doesn't flow off the land for like ten seconds.

There's apparently a mod out there that helps with setting up water in the map editor but heck if I can find it now.

Saw it mentioned in a post somewhere, thought "hey I should check that out later" and then never did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Enigma89 posted:

May not the prettiest method but I am keeping cars off the road. Up to 35,000 my biggest city ever. I feel like the pedestrian walkways are a huge waste of space sometimes but god drat do they keep people off the road.

From pedestrian nodes, buses take them to subways which ferry them to heavy rail.

I have about 2,000 riders a week on the subway and another 1,000 on the buses. Not amazing but that is nearly 10% of the city.

I'd be curious on the % of people in your cities taking the subway and buses. I have been busting my rear end to try to get it to 15% and I can't seem to do it. I think the highest I got it was exactly 12% and then the city expanded more and the population got huge fast.

I am super determined to try to manage the civilian traffic while trying to ease industrial traffic. I am not playing with unlimited money/tech so the game has been quite a challenge and very fun. Makes you appreciate city planners and the hard choices they face.

I shoot for 10-12%, but if the city is very dense or gets to be very large I can never hold onto that. My largest city at 510k population only has about 5% ridership.