Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
would outright fraud be less illegal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

JawnV6 posted:

would outright fraud be less illegal?

depends, do you have vc funding and/or are you using bitcoins somehow

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

kalanick's law: without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of silicon valley that someone won't mistake for the real thing

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

uncurable mlady posted:

depends, do you have vc funding and/or are you using bitcoins somehow

does bitcoin make it more or less illegal

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk

vodkat posted:

Does anyone know of any particular bubble worthy British start-ups?

I have to write about one that interests me for a job application and I think it would be funny to completely tear down their economic model.

1) lol British startups
2) improbable seems kinda sketchy - http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-03/24/improbable-investment ; their CEO is family money and they hired a bunch of expensive people from places and mmorpgs so maybe they'll crater interestingly?
3) but seriously there isn't really the VC right now for super bubbling, the companies that get funded lots get funded from SV

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

i guess jay z has a streaming service now but he wants to charge twice as much as spotify
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYYGdcLbFkw

it's only twice as much for lossless. regular quality is at parity with spotify

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Captain Foo posted:

i'm p sure that was made up but yes it's hideously illegal

uh no see spending money is speech and have you heard of this really cool amendment? it's so cool they put it first

- chief justice John Roberts

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol

quote:

Jay Z didn't even speak at the somewhat-awkward event himself - he let Alicia Keys give a weird speech, quoting Nietzsche and trying to paint the whole endeavour as a revolution in music - redirecting money from big corporations to artists. She also called it "the first ever artist-owned global music and entertainment platform," which is clear evidence of one of the most heinous crimes in music: forgetting about Dre.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i don't think this is an april's fools joke

branded physical buttons that let you reorder consumables through amazon prime

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Your 6 year old kid discovers the button one day. Inexplicably, a semitrailer full of tide shows up at your house next week.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pinterest Mom posted:

with amazon you can never tell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27820884/denver-police-seek-uberx-driver-accused-trying-break?source=rss

quote:

Police in Denver say an Uber driver is wanted for attempted burglary after he drove a fare to the airport last week and then tried to break into her home.

An arrest warrant has been issued for Gerald Montgomery, 51, in the case, police spokesman Sonny Jackson said Tuesday morning.

"He took her to (Denver International Airport) and then went back to the home and attempted to break in," Jackson said.

Police say the attempted break-in happened on Thursday at the passenger's home near the University of Denver and that a warrant for Montgomery's arrest was issued Friday.

"Upon learning about this incident from our valued rider, we immediately deactivated the driver's access to the platform, pending a full investigation," Taylor Patterson, an Uber spokesperson, said in a statement. "We remain committed to supporting the Denver law enforcement in any way we can."

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Pinterest Mom posted:

i'm the woollens

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

pff. like a taxi driver wouldn't do the same thing. you know those taxi drivers all minority and poo poo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

with amazon you can never tell

I'm pretty sure it's legit

i don't really hate it

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk

uncurable mlady posted:

I'm pretty sure it's legit

i don't really hate it

someone sent this around at work, I didn't believe it at first but looks real.

idea itself is maybe useful but the implications and branding and just whole idea of 'here brand loyal customer, push this button and more product will arrive' makes me sad/angry

also seriously it's that hard to buy/order some detergent every few months that you need a physics device dedicated solely for this purpose?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

pff. like a taxi driver wouldn't do the same thing. you know those taxi drivers all minority and poo poo

this has been a small plot element in like a million sitcoms

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

When an Uber Driver goes Taxi Driver, the results can be... Disruptive

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TMZ posted:

idea itself is maybe useful but the implications and branding and just whole idea of 'here brand loyal customer, push this button and more product will arrive' makes me sad/angry

also seriously it's that hard to buy/order some detergent every few months that you need a physics device dedicated solely for this purpose?

i signed up. gently caress it. it's free. if it'll get me toilet paper when i'm down to the last roll without having to go to the store, i'm down.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

TMZ posted:

the only problem with it is that w/ stuff like tide its more expensive on amazon cause they either price it higher to hide the shipping costs or in the case of prime pantry they charge you shipping even if ur a prime customer.

but honestly they already have subscribe and save so idk what the point is.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

by 2018 it'll be pres butan, receive detergent by drone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what they need is to have your local grocery store handle the stock and delivery.

or hrm maybe you could have shopr app where u pick a bunch of things and someone shops for them and delivers them 2 u.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Shaggar posted:

the only problem with it is that w/ stuff like tide its more expensive on amazon cause they either price it higher to hide the shipping costs or in the case of prime pantry they charge you shipping even if ur a prime customer.

don't you live in loving maine? where are you seeing tide cheaper at a store than on amazon?

there's a whole bunch of poo poo we can get on amazon (like tide) that's cheaper by virtue of not being sold at the only store for 30 miles

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

what they need is to have your local grocery store handle the stock and delivery.

or hrm maybe you could have shopr app where u pick a bunch of things and someone shops for them and delivers them 2 u.

http://instacart.com/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Or you could stop freaking the gently caress out and go to the store after you've made a list of the things you need

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

qntm posted:

is this as illegal as I think it is

p sure starbucks ran afoul of election law last time around bc they offered free coffee if you voted, it's illegal to compensate someone for voting even if you're not telling them who to vote for

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

brand engagement

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
your life is not too important that you can't take 2 hours a week for a couple of grocery store trips. I know it makes you feel better and more important to believe that you're indispensable to literally every person that comes across you, and you can't gently caress around with grocery shopping, but it's literally not true.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

your life is not too important that you can't take 2 hours a week for a couple of grocery store trips. I know it makes you feel better and more important to believe that you're indispensable to literally every person that comes across you, and you can't gently caress around with grocery shopping, but it's literally not true.

not everyone has the luxury of being able to drive their house to the grocery store

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
some trep should innovate some kind of big store you can go to that has everything from tires to dish soap to jorts to furniture, and they should be really cheap, cheaper than places in the mall! big parking lots too.

i'd shop there, but i wouldn't want any poor people to also shop there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

uncurable mlady posted:

not everyone has the luxury of being able to drive their house to the grocery store

hausbus hasn't moved in 6 months. i ride mass transit to/from work with a half-mile walk at either end. If I can keep a household in groceries with that lifestyle, you can too.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

hausbus hasn't moved in 6 months. i ride mass transit to/from work with a half-mile walk at either end. If I can keep a household in groceries with that lifestyle, you can too.

i was making a joke, dork

tbh the only reason we shop on amazon as much as we do is because the prices honestly do beat the local supermarket quite often

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beast of Bourbon posted:

some trep should innovate some kind of big store you can go to that has everything from tires to dish soap to jorts to furniture, and they should be really cheap, cheaper than places in the mall! big parking lots too.

i'd shop there, but i wouldn't want any poor people to also shop there.

They opened a walmart express at colfax and havana six months ago, and the shelves are empty already. its super depressing given that you can still smell the concrete and fresh paint and get reminded that it's a BRAND NEW STORE.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also its the only place you can get oatmeal raisin crisp

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

but my millennial lifestyle doesnt have time for that, i have internet to read

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

don't you live in loving maine? where are you seeing tide cheaper at a store than on amazon?

there's a whole bunch of poo poo we can get on amazon (like tide) that's cheaper by virtue of not being sold at the only store for 30 miles

tide @ grocery store - $10
tide @ amazon $12 - $1 coupon hack, shipping not included.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
where are you that amazon is cheaper?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Shaggar posted:

where are you that amazon is cheaper?

middle of nowhere in upstate ny

if we drive to the wal-mart or something then its def. cheaper than amazon or hannaford

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

who the gently caress actually uses tide, i just buy the sears detergent that comes in plastic pails since i go through so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh you live in the middle of nowhere so that's probably why

• Locked thread