Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Vivisection: Mostly During.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What I really love about that is that those titles sound like foundational knowledge that can be used to discover other things and gain greater knowledge. For example, what happens when a scholar finishes reading Injuries For Everyone, and Dissection: Before and After? Will they have a revelation and suddenly become an amazing doctor, with their new found knowledge? Or will they use that knowledge to write a book that will lead to the first mechanical prosthetic limbs?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

HappyKitty posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Dissection: Before and After sounds really sinister?

a treatise on cat innards

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

neogeo0823 posted:

What I really love about that is that those titles sound like foundational knowledge that can be used to discover other things and gain greater knowledge. For example, what happens when a scholar finishes reading Injuries For Everyone, and Dissection: Before and After? Will they have a revelation and suddenly become an amazing doctor, with their new found knowledge? Or will they use that knowledge to write a book that will lead to the first mechanical prosthetic limbs?

Knowing Toady, they'll probably end up having an existential crisis which will require Toady to spend the next three months implementing the French diseases of the soul. That, naturally, will lead to a need to model simultaneous responses to existentialism, including Secular Dwarfism, Finite-Infinite Meaning Making, and Retrospection Derived From Earlier Tales of Afterlife Punishments.

All of which will factor into the Army Arc somehow.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

TildeATH posted:

Knowing Toady, they'll probably end up having an existential crisis which will require Toady to spend the next three months implementing the French diseases of the soul. That, naturally, will lead to a need to model simultaneous responses to existentialism, including Secular Dwarfism, Finite-Infinite Meaning Making, and Retrospection Derived From Earlier Tales of Afterlife Punishments.

All of which will factor into the Army Arc somehow.

French Disease?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syphilis

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I hope Toady implements ennui so we need to start using Dwarf Therapists

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Better than Dutch Disease, at least according to the Eastern Europe thread.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Which leads to...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Wagner-Jauregg#Nobel_prize

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Excelzior posted:

I hope Toady implements ennui so we need to start using Dwarf Therapists

Whose obtuse therapy screen necessitates an external Dwarf Therapist Therapist.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Thingyman posted:

Whose obtuse therapy screen necessitates an external Dwarf Therapist Therapist.

If my job was to deal with a fortressfull of dwarves' personality issues all day every day I'd need my own therapist, too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just wanted to post this from the FotF reply, in case anyone missed it.

quote:

Differential gears are certainly one of the popular "did they or didn't they" technologies -- just in my quick run through, they were hypothesized in the Greek mechanism as well as the Chinese south-pointing chariot. I don't remember finding anything definitive online. I went ahead and made them a difficult tech (and added the pointing chariot and astrarium -- abstractly for now of course).

They can get divergence of the harmonic series and invent a symbol for addition, but no banach spaces. They can build a theory of rainbows using water-filled spheres and a camera obscura, and they can calculate the height of the atmosphere based on atmospheric refraction using the law of refraction (though it tries not to get into the actual shape of the world, since that might vary). They can make oil of vitriol and spirit of niter in theory, though I don't remember if we have any vitriols at all. Historians can start to understand how cultural differences and state bias affects source reliability and think a bit about social forces. They can come up with dedicated hospitals with specialized wards, staffing, medical labs and treatment for many illnesses. All sorts of other stuff -- as far as I can tell, none of this bumps up against the soft 1400 cut off, though there was disputed material here and there, in every field, and people are welcome to comment or advocate for inclusion/removal if they have information.

:stare:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

:psyboom:

e: oh also dfhack 40.24-r3 came out yesterday, git you one

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Toady has a doctorate in math, and I think it was something about Banach spaces actually.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Did Toady just teach dorfs to procedurally look at the world, wonder why certain things happen, investigate why they happen, and come up with hypotheses based on their empirical observations :psyduck:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angry Diplomat posted:

Did Toady just teach dorfs to procedurally look at the world, wonder why certain things happen, investigate why they happen, and come up with hypotheses based on their empirical observations :psyduck:

Not quite. Looks like it's pretty much a pre-defined tech-tree adapted to his meme spreading mechanics and randomly generated book names. Still incredible to see something like this implemented, though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my dad posted:

Toady has a doctorate in math, and I think it was something about Banach spaces actually.

I thought his deal was Non-Euclidean Geometry

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

my dad posted:

Not quite.

You mean "not yet".

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
As someone who enjoys sifting through Legends mode, I found this FotF bit regarding origin myths pretty exciting as well:

:frog: posted:

These myths are meant to take the world from its starting point (whether that's primordial chaos, or an endless mud flat, or a cosmic egg, or coupled divine beings, or nothingness, or an endless cycle, or whatever), and then bring the story up to the point where the year 1 situation of world generation has solid backing, in terms of the existence of the proto-civs, the land, the megabeasts, the underground, all of it. Yeah, we started playing with it more seriously because of the upcoming w.g. artifacts and the religious stuff coming for start scenarios, and now we're pretty sure the myth generator will be put in the game either before or during the first w.g. artifact release, since they'll be tied together. And who knows what else will happen.

I'm not sure how to evaluate the quality of the results -- say, after some stuff happens and we have some freshly created dwarves, the celestial ibis mates with the sun and lays an egg which contains the progenitors of a giant-sized race who all come to reside in their lost city and forge the device which weaves the destiny of the dwarves and the dwarves rebel and break the device and that's why dwarves grow old and die now, or whatever. It just grinds away and things happen, tossing in different worlds and nature spirits and forces and races and artifacts and second-generation gods and whatever. At the end there's a kind of overlap where everything is explained (why dwarves die, etc.) but you've also sort of started history -- this leads to questions about whether you'd be able to play in an actual Age of Myth where dwarves don't yet age and the sun doesn't exist, or something. As usual, the number of options will simply expand over time, and the myths will only be partially used at first. It leads to lots of interesting relationships that differ from world to world, and we'll try to use those in the ways people talk and what they can do, but it's a large project.

I also tried to experiment a bit with building origin stories from the facts at hand, so it can trace back and find the relevant events and make a paragraph containing only the pertinent bits, so different races might see things differently, but that's all very rough. There's also the matter of the current "localized" pantheons, and how that will play out when there's actually a unifying correct story is unfortunate, in terms of cultural differences. We might play around with distortions of the true data, and just having everybody be partially wrong (or everybody is right, in their way), but that's always hard, especially early on when we don't have a good handle on the data structures for correct data. Lots of options, lots of ways to handle it, and we'll only get to some of them. We might be approaching the point where we can actually have a nice slider for the simple world gen parameters, in terms of supernaturalness (although dwarves would stay at the lowest setting for a long while yet).

:neckbeard:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Oh, and for anyone who still likes using TrueType for any reason: the textfixer script that refreshes the grid every 5 frames is now in automated .lua form. Save this into hack\scripts and run it with the enable argument. Version r3 required.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

my dad posted:

Not quite. Looks like it's pretty much a pre-defined tech-tree adapted to his meme spreading mechanics and randomly generated book names. Still incredible to see something like this implemented, though.

one step closer to literal dwarven !!SCIENCE!!

Isaac McNewton interrupted rest : Discovered gravity

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Excelzior posted:

one step closer to literal dwarven !!SCIENCE!!

Isaac McNewton interrupted rest : Discovered gravity

The spinning +red apple+ collides with the Dwarf Philosopher's head, breaking the skull's bone and bruising the brain!

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

my dad posted:

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me so glad that Toady is the one at the helm of Dwarf Fortress. A sensible person might've built a new UI or optimized some fluid math. Tarn Adams is building imaginations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

The spinning +red apple+ collides with the Dwarf Philosopher's head, breaking the skull's bone and bruising the brain!

All in the name of dwarven medical science.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

scamtank posted:

oh also dfhack 40.24-r3 came out yesterday, git you one

Looks like workflow still isn't fixed according to the bug tracks. :( https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/issues/487

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

THE SHOTGUN PLUGGING MY MOUTH ONLY SHOT JELLY BEANS!!!!! APRIL FOOLS RREPORT

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: We are depending on your generosity! Last month saw Bay 12 Games showered with interest and praise. We depend on that too, but when it comes down to it, generosity is the most important. Have you ever thought about helping out with Dwarf Fortress, a game you download for free? Don't play it for free: hit the support button and give to Bay 12 Games. Accept the tokens of thanks we will gladly create for you! We really can't make it without you, and I mean that in every way that makes sense.

Congratulations to the generous!

:minnie:

quote:

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: Thanks to everybody that helped out in March! We'll be finished with the world generation portion of this release in a few days, and then it'll be time to work all of these details we've been generating into fortress mode. Dwarves goofing around in the tavern, dwarves praying in the temple and dwarves in the library. Then we'll have... not-dwarves in the tavern, as the fortress starts to accept visitors. It'll be exciting to see how the new art forms and other material works out in practice.

Mar: $2975.76
Feb: $4009.55

We just have to have a lean month somewhere in a year, I guess.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dev:toot: time!

Toady One posted:

We're well into the world gen festivals. Their main purpose at this point is to provide something interesting and interconnecting for the new artists to do before we move on to dwarf mode. The festivals that rise to the level of importance required for legends mode tracking are established as part of a fair in large markets with multiple trade partners, for religious purposes in temple cities, or to commemorate specific events such as the slaying of a dragon. The game looks at the values and ethics of the civilization and the overall purpose of the occasion to come up with the schedule of events -- performances, competitions (from art to various races to wrestling to etc. etc.), processions and ceremonies, with various little details. We're still on track to finish this part in a day or two.

We'd also like to have smaller festivals in the smaller sites, but for space/speed purposes in world generation every village can't have things like harvest festivals every year that rise to a tracked historical level. It's possible to get the smaller places to have as-needed incidental historical festivals in world generation (respecting a regular schedule that carries into play) to provide context for invasions and monster attacks and so on, but we'll tackle that later. It's also possible to make the game understand what small-scale events should be going on in dwarf/adv-mode without difficulties, but we're going to limit our work on dwarf/adv-mode festivals to get this release completed. There might be something outside of the legend descriptions, but don't expect to see a great procession with elephants and criers and flowers and banners and candles and acrobats and so on... not yet, anyway.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

scamtank posted:

Dev:toot: time!

I can't wait to read legends about civilizations that collapsed into chaos and ruin through the course of a single massive, world-shattering party.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I can't wait to read legends about civilizations that collapsed into chaos and ruin through the course of a single massive, world-shattering party.

Weaponized festivals

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012

Excelzior posted:

Weaponized festivals

When I was first getting into DF and I read people on bay12 posting about "clowns" and "the circus" I thought that's what they were referring to. I was pretty excited to fend off murderous carnies and bearded ladies.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KERNOD WEL posted:

When I was first getting into DF and I read people on bay12 posting about "clowns" and "the circus" I thought that's what they were referring to. I was pretty excited to fend off murderous carnies and bearded ladies.

You should play SS13, then. :v:

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

So I'm curious about something; my reclaimed fortress got promoted to a Mountainhome (this was a few years back), and in the migrant wave was a "tame" cyclops. Well, even though the cyclops was supposedly tame, it walked onto the map and immediately started doing what a cyclops does best: turning every dwarf in the vicinity into a fine dwarfpaste. Because it was listed as "tame" - it was even listed under the animals section of the unit screen rather than "other" - I couldn't order my own military to attack it. It then proceeded to just completely stomp the gently caress out of my incoming king, and about half the wave of migrants, until enough of the migrant dwarves wrestled it into submission.

Now, I've read that apparently your king gets replaced if he dies, but it's been years now and I haven't gotten a new king. Should I just stop waiting for that to happen, and accept that my civilization is now run by a duke?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Maybe your king had an heir at a different fortress and they became king when he died?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I fired up Masterwork and tried out hermit for the first time. Took a look at my dude's likes and uh

uuuuuuuuh

E: And I've had some whales somehow wash up on shore. I can never run out of food now.

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 4, 2015

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Maybe your king had an heir at a different fortress and they became king when he died?

My fortress is still the capital of the civilization, as far as I can tell.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh, poo poo. I just realized that divine materials might advertise their linked sphere with their outward appearance. Here's a take on a world I generated:

Crashing metal (gray): STORMS
Blistered metal (black), patchy cloth (gray): DISEASE
Twisting metal (red): CHAOS
Dancing wisps (yellow): BEAUTY
Singing metal (white), sonorous lines (black): MUSIC
Pale fabric (pale blue): DEATH
Frosty metal (white): MOUNTAINS
Flashing metal (yellow), flashing sparks (yellow): LIGHTNING
Faceted metal (green): JEWELS
Misty cloth (clear): MIST
Heavy cloth (black): LIES
Liquid cloth (blue): WATER
Clear blue metal (sky blue): SKY
Undulating cloth (sea green): OCEANS
Twinkling metal (white): STARS
Black metal (black): NIGHT
Flickering cloth (yellow): FIRE

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are the divine materials better than adamantine?

Thinking about taking an adventurer to grab some from a vault, then make and melt greaves over and over until I can outfit a whole squad with divine armor.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Nah, only about half that. Still miles above steel and just as valuable, though.

The divine cloth materials aren't resistant to any degree, but they're lighter than air.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
Apparently surface flora is hard on my computer in this version. After discovering first-hand that trolls are really, really good at climbing trees and eating crossbowmen, I had a wide area around the moat/walls turned to dirt roads to slow tree growth. My fps on the surface improved by ~13. Summon the masons, it's time to pave paradise!

Anybody else experienced weaponless invaders? ~20 humans showed up at my fort, more than half were "recruits" and the all recruits were totally unarmed and mostly unarmored. I'm assuming they were from the goblin civ, since I wasn't at war with my human neighbors. Some headed for the fort, and the rest immediately started trying to beat a pack of wild boars to death with their fists. After getting beaten one of the boars became enraged and proceeded to kill most of the men that were chasing it. The survivors were promptly steamrolled by the militia.
All prior and subsequent invasions have been properly equipped. Could be a fluke. Or maybe Toady's lovecraftian worldgen mechanics recreated Pol Pot.

Tenbux McGee fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the trees and specifically all the leaves and crap that fall of them seem to be dropping FPS a lot for most people.