Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yes, I saw your unhelpful, no links to Dulfy post. :P

On a side note, anyone looking to make money who has Legend status on Yavin - People are incredibly stupid. I sold 5 of the walkers you buy from the Rep Vendor for 100k at 200k credits each on the GTN. You still need the rep to ride them, so I am laughing imagining the people buying them.

I once made a profit selling those white crafting mats you can buy from the npc vendors on the fleet on the GTN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Ainsley McTree posted:

I once made a profit selling those white crafting mats you can buy from the npc vendors on the fleet on the GTN

It's me, I'm the person buying these. Why go to fleet when you can go to guildship?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It's me, I'm the person buying these. Why go to fleet when you can go to guildship?

Why go to the guild ship when you can just summon an advanced repair droid?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

So I started playing on Pot5 with some friends last week, we're thinking of jumping off the server because it's pretty low pop. How is Jedi Covenant pop wise? We're Republic and I know there isn't a big goon Republic presence on JC outside of alts, but it'd be nice to see more than 3 people on a planet. Plus world pvp doesn't seem particularly exciting in this game.

We all get a free transfer for referring each other, and it seems like a good server.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I guess on some level I get it. If you have money to burn you just get lazy and pay the premium to buy in bulk from the GTN along with the rest of your poo poo.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
50+ each area I'm in although I'm only level 23. Only time I see it drop below 50 is during graveyard hours for NA i.e 7am-midday EST. Also, this is Sith faction.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I just started the Tarkin Audiobook and Instantly recognized the SWTOR inquisitors voice am I'm so loving thrilled. :dance:

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Baron Porkface posted:

I just started the Tarkin Audiobook and Instantly recognized the SWTOR inquisitors voice am I'm so loving thrilled. :dance:

The entire book is narrated by the same actor? I may have to break my rule against audio books.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Yeah hes the reader.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
potKettleBlack.jpg

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Westy543 posted:

So I started playing on Pot5 with some friends last week, we're thinking of jumping off the server because it's pretty low pop. How is Jedi Covenant pop wise? We're Republic and I know there isn't a big goon Republic presence on JC outside of alts, but it'd be nice to see more than 3 people on a planet. Plus world pvp doesn't seem particularly exciting in this game.

We all get a free transfer for referring each other, and it seems like a good server.

PoT5 is dead. Even when it was active, the reb and imp areas are so far apart you almost never actually get any world pvp going on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I moved from Pot5 last year to play with goons on JC and had a lot more fun.

Your non goon friends can join the guild too, it's not like it's a heavily regulated guild.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Are there any level requirements for crew skills? Thinking about making a new guy, getting the first companion and stopping there.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tai posted:

Are there any level requirements for crew skills? Thinking about making a new guy, getting the first companion and stopping there.

The number of companions you can send out at a time is capped by levels, so it may make more sense to get to level 30 so you can send three out at a time, but then again, you may be fine if you stick with your first companion and your ship droid.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tai posted:

I've got 6 characters who i leveled solely through pvp and flashpoints once they got their ship. They're all 500 biochem. :)

A bit tough leveling it since you only have your first companion, the ship droid, and Treek - maybe HK51 if you buy him.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.
MEGAMOUNTS!

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20150401

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I saw that and while it's funny, i would love a giant sandcrawler mount

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Medullah posted:

I can make that happen.
(at least on my test machine)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah, I'll laugh once I stop being disappointed

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Forget about blocking the mailbox with your mount. Now you can block half the fleet at once.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

nonentity posted:

I can make that happen.
(at least on my test machine)

Can we at least get roomba mounts?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Allatum posted:

Can we at least get roomba mounts?

Only if it comes with a shark suit.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So what was the deal with this game on release for it to end up F2P? I heard some negative stuff but honestly, it's fairly fun. Did the game get a huge makeover from release I take it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tai posted:

So what was the deal with this game on release for it to end up F2P? I heard some negative stuff but honestly, it's fairly fun. Did the game get a huge makeover from release I take it?

Yeah, the game launched with some serious issues and lost a TON of subscribers. It started out with something like 50 servers, and you had queues to log on. People quickly left because there was almost no endgame so once they finished the story there wasn't much else to do. That led to barren servers, and with no group finder tool like they have now, finding groups to do anything was impossible. There were no legacy perks like quick travel cool down reduction, etc.

There was also the fact that pre Cartel Market there wasn't a lot of variety in outfits, which was made even worse by the fact that endgame set bonus was actually tied to the Shell, not the armoring, so if you DID do endgame raiding, you looked identical to everyone else.

And endgame tokens were class specific, so you couldn't even guarantee a roll on items that dropped. Its how my operative got almost full Rakata his first raid, since there were no other agents in the group and all the drops were agent specific.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
No Sprint til lvl 10 and no Speeder til lvl 25 (which you were lucky to be able to afford) turned people off of alts.

There was also the fact that the classes themselves were a complete mess before 1.0. For example interrupts, CC Breaks, and CC all used resources so a Jedi Knight who had to build Focus could get CC'd and then not be able to break it if you didn't have the Focus.

As someone who has played pretty much every MMO ever since EQ Jedi Guardian at release is probably the absolute worst time I ever had lvling a character. The final story mission was overtuned and nearly impossible solo unless it bugged until it got severely nerfed. The first few months on fleet it was common to see Knights begging people to come help them with it.

On my original server it got so bad there would be times where I would be the only lvl 50 on fleet. This is how I first got into PvP...I could spend hours trying to put a FP group together or just sit in the PvP queue and hope something popped. If I wasn't paying attention my character would afk log before a pop usually.

Most people just said gently caress it and hopped back to WoW. If this game didn't have the Star Wars license it would have died long before server mergers, F2P/Cartel Market, and 2.0 had a chance to save it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My favorite was that Mercenaries and Commandos didn't even have interrupts. There were times where i would find a group with my merc healer for a random flashpoint that had two merc dps. This made some fights literally impossible because only the tank could interrupt.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

KennyTheFish posted:

Only if it comes with a shark suit.

And a duck pet?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Tweek is OP as gently caress. Tanking those super elite NPC's and healing and holding aggro.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tai posted:

Tweek is OP as gently caress. Tanking those super elite NPC's and healing and holding aggro.

Don't know why everyone is surprised about this. Treek is the best tank or healer companion you will get, period. The ONLY advantage that a dedicated tank companion has over Treek is an aoe taunt. And even that is almost useless unless you manually trigger it yourself since they'll use it at dumb times.

I always recommend gearing up Treek and a mDPS companion at 60.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The more I play MMOs the more I realize the terrible paradox of them. On one hand, almost all of them are terrible on release and for months or years afterwards. To really enjoy a MMO it's best to wait until they get their act together. Some games, of course, never do and just fade away instead.

But on the other hand, it will never be easier to get your friends and relatives to play a MMO with you than right at release, when the hype is at its peak!

This it was for me an SWtOR. On launch day my friends and my brother and I formed a guild and played together and it was fine, except the game sucked and we all eventually lost interest. The most dedicated of us (not me) stuck around playing solo until he got his Smuggler to 50, found no endgame, and then quit.

Cut to three years later and after getting sucked back in by the 12x experience thing late last year, I've been playing SWtOR again and really enjoying it. It's so much easier to level up and get things done, most of the classes seem reasonably balanced, and there's a reasonable amount to do at most levels. But now it's too late. Most of my friends and family are either back playing WoW or quit playing MMOs entirely and they scoff at me when I suggest we go back to The Old Republic. :sigh:

And that, I think, was WoW's secret. When WoW first popped it had problems like every starting MMO does, but Blizzard was able to address a lot of those problems fairly quickly and, what's more, even vanilla WoW was so much better than it's competition at the time that people stuck with it and became entrenched in the game in numbers never seen before or since. But for every MMO since WoW after that initial burst of hype dies down you have to be better than WoW is now to keep your player base, and no one's really managed it. And so the MMO cycle continues for game after game, with huge hype, big player bases at launch, the steady shrinkage, the admittance of defeat and the move to Free-to-Play like clockwork. And thus it will ever be until either WoW gets so long in the tooth that it's no longer the best game in town, or someone makes a MMO that's as much of a leap forward now as WoW was in 2004.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 2, 2015

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Don't know why everyone is surprised about this. Treek is the best tank or healer companion you will get, period. The ONLY advantage that a dedicated tank companion has over Treek is an aoe taunt. And even that is almost useless unless you manually trigger it yourself since they'll use it at dumb times.

I always recommend gearing up Treek and a mDPS companion at 60.

Now that the game hands out super high level companion gear at 60, I think it's less important than it used to be, though; pretty much any companion's gonna be helpful with that gear.

Still can't beat treek for leveling, though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I still can't understand how people go back to WoW. It's like being a heroin addict, finally getting clean, then after 5 years going back on the needle cause you're bored. There is literally nothing that will ever make me play WoW again, I don't care how good it might have gotten.

Only reason I gave ToR another chance is because it's freaking Star Wars.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

I still can't understand how people go back to WoW. It's like being a heroin addict, finally getting clean, then after 5 years going back on the needle cause you're bored. There is literally nothing that will ever make me play WoW again, I don't care how good it might have gotten.

Only reason I gave ToR another chance is because it's freaking Star Wars.

I'm with you personally. One of my ex-guildies sent me a Scroll of Resurrection around the time the Kung-fu Panda expansion hit and I didn't last a week. And yet, there's got to be something there because outside of myself, every member of the Kessel Midnight Runners who's still playing a MMO is playing WoW.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I'm not sure I'd ever stop playing TOR if there'd constantly be giant sand crawlers clipping through each other and everything else and making it impossible to find your way around or interact with anything on the fleet.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

veedubfreak posted:

I still can't understand how people go back to WoW.

A chunk of your friends aren't interested in paying $60 for the newest hype train.

A chunk of your friends will refuse to download the newest F2P hype train because price == quality.

A chunk of your friends will only play if a majority of your friends are playing.

At least one of your friends is always playing WoW.

Basically it's a soup of social pressure, sunk cost fallacy, and price/quality psychology.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

boho posted:

A chunk of your friends aren't interested in paying $60 for the newest hype train.

A chunk of your friends will refuse to download the newest F2P hype train because price == quality.

A chunk of your friends will only play if a majority of your friends are playing.

Basically it's a soup of social pressure, sunk cost fallacy, and price/quality psychology.

And, like TOR, I for one find it fun to play off and on for a couple months at a time.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

boho posted:

All my friends are married and/or have kids, so they don't play games ><

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too

veedubfreak posted:

All my friends are married and/or have kids, so they don't play games ><
^^^^ all of that for my entire friend-base lol ^^^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Just reinstalled this after many many years (I think). Got a lvl 30 Sith Warrior but on an EU server.

Played hefore any of the expacs and logging in for the first time last night gave me whiplash with all the new poo poo.

Do we have any EU presence or shall I just jump on the US server and relearn that poo poo?

Emnity fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 5, 2015

• Locked thread