Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

And the crowds speak almost exclusively French.

mon dieu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
The idea is that the Animus is only translating the necessary stuff, not ambient background noise that Arno didn't care about.

The English accents are still dumb though. I liked Unity a lot but I can't defend them.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Playing Rogue but I don't get what the templar crosses do. Like how do I activate/collect them? Just use eagle vision or whatnot? It says to inspect and then dig, but there's nothing there to dig.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rizuhbull posted:

Playing Rogue but I don't get what the templar crosses do. Like how do I activate/collect them? Just use eagle vision or whatnot? It says to inspect and then dig, but there's nothing there to dig.

It'll mark a spot on your map on where they're actually hidden.

Mind you in all but like 1 case they're like a yard away from the stone on the same elevation.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

effervescible posted:

The English accents are still dumb though. I liked Unity a lot but I can't defend them.

Honestly, I don't think I'd mind them if they hadn't already set a precedent with the Italian (and Turkish and Greek, to a lesser extent).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

French language, English subs. The voice actors weren't very good but it was still the better option.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Prop Wash posted:

French language, English subs. The voice actors weren't very good but it was still the better option.

I tried that but the lip sync no longer matched and it felt like I was watching a bad anime dub. :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
What if Assassin's Creed has been a bad anime all along?! :gbsmith:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Well, that's rogue done 100%. It pretty much addressed every gripe i had with how shallow and repetitive AC4 was.

All that's left are the last 5 convoy missions that stupidly don't unlock until you finish the game. So if you don't want to be stuck waiting for a timer to count down you might as well leave some stuff to be done after the final story mission instead of before.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

effervescible posted:

The explanation is you're now playing a Termplar-made, dumbed-down History Lite version of the animus content.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

It'll mark a spot on your map on where they're actually hidden.

Mind you in all but like 1 case they're like a yard away from the stone on the same elevation.
Thanks. I reloaded and it showed up. It glitched but now I know what to expect.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Discendo Vox posted:

The explanation is you're now playing a Termplar-made, dumbed-down History Lite version of the animus content.

I get the in-game explanation, it even makes some sense in context. But outside of the game, it's irritating because it goes out of the way to explain something that didn't need to be explained, because it didn't need to be changed. They're technically right that our Hollywood-trained ears associate British accents with historical stuff, but it's still silly. Unless the person playing in the Helix device is meant to be English, I guess.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, Ubisoft is so close to self awareness, and although it makes some sense in universe, to the player it's a little grating. There were some notes in the office in Rogue talking about how bossanova it is to reuse assets in sequels, I like Rogue a lot but come on guys!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I keep hearing one of the annoying peasant ladies from previous games who'd always ask for money. "Please, sah! Can't ya spare some change?!" something like that. She plays lots of various tiny roles in Unity and all I can think is, "god shut up leave me alone. can't they give you a less annoying voice?!"

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Davoren posted:

Yeah, Ubisoft is so close to self awareness, and although it makes some sense in universe, to the player it's a little grating. There were some notes in the office in Rogue talking about how bossanova it is to reuse assets in sequels, I like Rogue a lot but come on guys!

Yeah just because they poke fun at themselves doesn't make it okay. I find that kind of stuff irritating.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
If anybody is still on the fence (or just curious about trying it), Target has Unity on sale this week for $20. I impulse bought it ('cause why not, it's twenty bucks) and am actually having a really good time with it. It seems like they fixed most of the glitchiness, at least on PS4.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Since we're talking about accents, I should mention that, although i've only played about an hour or 2 of Rouge, the main character has a really terrible fake Irish accent. Which is bizarre since his bald buddy has a fairly decent accent in comparison. Did they swap scripts or something, cos i'd assume they would have wanted the character you'll be playing as the most to have the more convincing accent.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Since we're talking about accents, I should mention that, although i've only played about an hour or 2 of Rouge, the main character has a really terrible fake Irish accent. Which is bizarre since his bald buddy has a fairly decent accent in comparison. Did they swap scripts or something, cos i'd assume they would have wanted the character you'll be playing as the most to have the more convincing accent.

Agreed. Even in the first hour or so of playing it (thanks to the Codex crack, no thanks to Ubi) I noticed several occasions where his accent went sideways

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Ha I am glad I'm not the only one, Perhaps its my vicinity to Ireland but the accent ruins so much of the game for me, even just the shout outs on the naval combat are grating

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think it's because most Americans won't notice that and most non-English non-Americans either. However it's still bizarre considering their budget and the fact that they do have convincing Irish voice-actors. The answer probably lies in the extreme development division where practically a completely separate company does the voice acting and the reasonable logic/responsobility is diluted so much that there's nobody going "what the gently caress" at some of the more mind-boggling decisions. It's basically development-by-commitee which means huge mistakes falling through the cracks.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I wonder if it was a budget thing. They had a real Irish actress for Anne Bonny in Black Flag, but Shay was a Montreal local and it was like his first job out of school. Rogue also used so many Black Flag assets, I can't imagine its budget was very large.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Szmitten posted:

Alternatively, pick a city, and experience it through different centuries and watch it grow and change. Again, no reason other than I want someone to do the historical research and render it for me so I can poke at it.

I know this is a page back but this is still on my wishlist for AC conceits that I never expect Ubisoft to actually pick up on, along with playing as multiple interlinked characters GTA 5 style. Something like the Bleeding Effect causing Desmond to see Ezio's memories in Brotherhood but made a key gameplay and/or story conceit. It's kinda baffling--a series that's one part Indiana Jones and the Ancient Aliens and one part History is Cool Kids, We Promise! has never really linked the two beyond the most cursory and obvious ways. You'd think with at some point Desmond would have gotten de ja vu over constantly hunting down the Apples of Eden but nope, it was just the players!

Actually now that I think about it with the popularity Inception had there for a while I'm kinda surprised they never went for a memory-within-a-memory-within-a-memory thing beyond the bits and pieces scattered throughout Revelations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Speaking of accents, apparently they're back in Chronicles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JapuE16BPrY

I guess the French accent is harder to pull off than Chinese, Indian or Russian.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For the right price versus the right length that could be really interesting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Speaking of accents, apparently they're back in Chronicles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JapuE16BPrY

I guess the French accent is harder to pull off than Chinese, Indian or Russian.

I'm down for Mark of the Ninja Assassin.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kurtofan posted:

poo poo, that looks really loving cool.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chronicles looks really cool but I'll be comparing it to Mark Of The Ninja, which set the bar extremely high for 2D stealth/action games. Ubisoft could easily outmatch the production values if they actually give a poo poo about putting out a good product so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Love that they've taken the most interesting settings they've conceived thus far and shunted them off to what will surely be a (series of?) bullshit side game(s?) instead of putting a full budget on them... Not that it doesn't look interesting or good but c'mon son

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Did Chronicles get expanded into 3 games? Am I paying once for all three?

Orv
May 4, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Did Chronicles get expanded into 3 games? Am I paying once for all three?

It did, and it seems like you'll be paying individually, but I don't see them not putting out a bundle of some kind.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Isn't this just basically video game adaptions of Assassin's Creed Brahman and Assassin's Creed The Fall? Not that it is a particularly bad idea mind you, I don't think a lot of fans are aware they exist.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Same heroes but the summaries sound really different.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

8 minutes of Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Vm2j60zpE

Spoiler alert: the guy playing sucks

I can't put my finger on it, but something doesn't sit well with me with the fighting animation.

Sometimes it looks like Shao Jun has a hidden blade, but that isn't confirmed.

I'd buy this for 10 bucks

edit: rope dart still owns hard

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 1, 2015

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Love that they've taken the most interesting settings they've conceived thus far and shunted them off to what will surely be a (series of?) bullshit side game(s?) instead of putting a full budget on them... Not that it doesn't look interesting or good but c'mon son

If you think people would buy a big budget game set in 19th century India you're an idiot.

Edit: on the other hand i would buy the hell out of it

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

paint dry posted:

If you think people would buy a big budget game set in 19th century India you're an idiot.

I thought the same thing about the Renaissance and AC2. Yet here we are.

But yes, 19th century India isn't as easily marketable as French Revolution or American Revolution. Plus, you could argue the series isn't in the same place it was back then (wasn't yearly) so they can't take as many risks with the "big" titles.

Excited for "Mark of Assassins Creed" though. They look fun!

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Snuffman posted:

I thought the same thing about the Renaissance and AC2. Yet here we are.

But yes, 19th century India isn't as easily marketable as French Revolution or American Revolution. Plus, you could argue the series isn't in the same place it was back then (wasn't yearly) so they can't take as many risks with the "big" titles.

Excited for "Mark of Assassins Creed" though. They look fun!

Far Cry 4 pulled off a vaguely Indian/Himalayan/Nepalese setting, although it also combined it with a wacky Kim Jong Il-esque incompetent dictatorship. It's not as instantly marketable but it's not like it's a death sentence--it's even got the same company behind it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'd buy this for 10 bucks

You'll never guess how much it is.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Chronicles looks really cool but I'll be comparing it to Mark Of The Ninja, which set the bar extremely high for 2D stealth/action games. Ubisoft could easily outmatch the production values if they actually give a poo poo about putting out a good product so I'm cautiously optimistic.
I really doubt they could outmatch the production values of Mark of the Ninja. Yeah, they're using 3D but it already looks worse than MotN which had sweeet animations. Ubisoft's game looks like a new take on Prince of Persia with minimal stealth elements more than anything.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

paint dry posted:

Same.. But it's also true that I'm an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

8 minutes of Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Vm2j60zpE

Love too wattch an annoying man Game...

Honestly I'm still skeptical but I feel like I could see myself enjoying this, especially if those are animus fragments that unlock modern-day info :getin:

• Locked thread