Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

PSWII60 posted:

Yes, but he can do them a couple times in a row, making high - low into high - low - high - low - high - low.

If he pauses to do other moves, will he remember which way he went last time or will he always start high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I've been playing Rogue Legacy, gameplay in that game is so good, so PRECISE, all it needs is Castlevania sprite edits and it'd be the best CV. Even your default sword swing basically feels like the whip.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

If he pauses to do other moves, will he remember which way he went last time or will he always start high?

In my experience, his multiple strikes are always low-high-low-high-low on hard mode. He also has a single low strike that isn't part of the multiple strike chain. That low strike usually comes out after he leans back halfway to do the dark breath attack that you don't need to move from the entrance to avoid.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oh yeah, there's also an overhead swipe that he does that's neither high nor low, you just need to be next to the wall to avoid it. Rewatching my videos, it looks like low-high-low-high-low is definitely always the combo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

OxMan posted:

I've been playing Rogue Legacy, gameplay in that game is so good, so PRECISE, all it needs is Castlevania sprite edits and it'd be the best CV. Even your default sword swing basically feels like the whip.

Rogue Legacy is a game I feel like I should like but just don't.

In my opinion not being able to swap subweapons out is lame, the metagame enhancements are kind of annoying. I think the biggest thing that kills it for me is the randomly generated levels just aren't that fun.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Anatharon posted:

Rogue Legacy is a game I feel like I should like but just don't.

In my opinion not being able to swap subweapons out is lame, the metagame enhancements are kind of annoying. I think the biggest thing that kills it for me is the randomly generated levels just aren't that fun.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I find myself fighting the controls more than the enemies. But yeah, the levels are bland and not interesting to look at or run through. I would love a Castlevania game with a similar mentality tho (set during 1999 perhaps???). Harmony of Despair was super interesting, but man I do not want to play multiplayer CV.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

If there's ever a new 2D Castlevania, I hope they include as many fun movement systems as Order of Ecclesia. Volaticus and Rapidus Fio are great, and Magnes is cool when required, but pair it up with Redire and you get the greatest way to get around in a 2D platformer.

And then you have Albus's touch screen teleporting which lets him fly through the whole game. Not to mention the stuff that you can do using backdash canceling...

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 3, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

If there's ever a new 2D Castlevania, I hope they include as many fun movement systems as Order of Ecclesia. Volaticus and Rapidus Fio are great, and Magnes is cool when required, but pair it up with Redire and you get the greatest way to get around in a 2D platformer.

And then you have Albus's touch screen teleporting which lets him fly through the whole game. Not to mention the stuff that you can do using backdash canceling...

I feel like I missed so much about Ecclesia, I had no idea about any of this

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I feel like I missed so much about Ecclesia, I had no idea about any of this

I missed a lot of it too, then I got really, really, really into the game and played level 1 Hard like 5 times. I didn't know about the Redire/Magnes interaction until my 3rd level 1 Hard run so I've never tried it out on normal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just finished Aria of Sorrow for the first time in years, I love how the Julius fight makes you go 'Holy poo poo Belmonts are scary if you get on the wrong side of them. :stare: '

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Julius Belmont best Belmont.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sakurazuka posted:

Just finished Aria of Sorrow for the first time in years, I love how the Julius fight makes you go 'Holy poo poo Belmonts are scary if you get on the wrong side of them. :stare: '

I'm struggling to think of a harder bossfight than Julius in that game and coming up with nothing. Dude is rough.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm so mad we'll never see a 1999 game. :(

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm struggling to think of a harder bossfight than Julius in that game and coming up with nothing. Dude is rough.

I only beat him with my tried and tested method of turning on Death and hiding in a corner.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It sucks they nerfed the poo poo out of him in Dawn like getting rid of his charge move and it makes him the worst of the three characters in Julius Mode by a sizable margin I felt.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Accordion Man posted:

It sucks they nerfed the poo poo out of him in Dawn like getting rid of his charge move and it makes him the worst of the three characters in Julius Mode by a sizable margin I felt.

Abaddon was pretty much the only time I used Julius at all aside from the beginning; limp whip did a wonder on the locusts. Otherwise Alucard was my castle explorer and Yoko was my boss killer.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dresh posted:

Abaddon was pretty much the only time I used Julius at all aside from the beginning; limp whip did a wonder on the locusts. Otherwise Alucard was my castle explorer and Yoko was my boss killer.

I used Julius because he is way more fun than Alucard and Yoko.

Man why did they not put in Hammer as Grant. :( (I know why I just think they should have anyways)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dresh posted:

Otherwise Alucard was my castle explorer and Yoko was my boss killer.
Same. My strategy for beating Soma was Yoko for Form 1 and Alucard for Form 2 as well.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Anatharon posted:

Man why did they not put in Hammer as Grant. :( (I know why I just think they should have anyways)

What was the reason for canning the idea again? Fours a crowd? I think someone posted the unused assets for him earlier in the thread.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dresh posted:

Oh my god I forgot this awesome mode existed I need to play it again

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Social Animal posted:

What was the reason for canning the idea again? Fours a crowd? I think someone posted the unused assets for him earlier in the thread.

It seems that he just can't catch a break because there are unused assets for him in Castlvania HD, including voiced callouts for him from every other character in the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Now I'm reminded that I've never beaten a single IGA-vania bonus mode, apart from maybe Richter on the PS1 version of SotN.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

Now I'm reminded that I've never beaten a single IGA-vania bonus mode, apart from maybe Richter on the PS1 version of SotN.
Julius Mode in Dawn is far and away the best.

Albus Mode in Ecclesia is good too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Speaking of bonus modes in IGA Castlevania, playing through Curse of Darkness as Trevor is waaaaay cooler than the actual game!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Most of Albus Mode is kind of half-assed, but its Dracula fight is one of the most entertaining boss battles in the IGA games. Sisters Mode in POR was pretty disappointing but Richter mode is alright. And of course Julius Mode is a blast.

I think the only one I haven't actually finished is the Axe Armor one which was also POR if I recall.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of bonus modes in IGA Castlevania, playing through Curse of Darkness as Trevor is waaaaay cooler than the actual game!

It's a sort of Lament of Innocence redux with better subweapons, item pickups, and no levelling. It's honestly pretty good and more faithful to the style of the GBA games I feel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anatharon posted:

It wasn't as good as the others (and it's music was bad) but I really think people are way too hard on HoD. It's the only metroidvania where the main guy uses a whip which is neat, and the level design/boss fights are pretty fun.

Except, you know, Circle of the Moon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also Portrait of Ruin, even if you can equip other weapons.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aria of Sorrow has a Whip Sword too. :v: I guess you guys wouldn't count that though, huh?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Nate RFB posted:

I think the only one I haven't actually finished is the Axe Armor one which was also POR if I recall.

Technically, you can play as Axe Armor in Symphony of the Night as well, though it's more of a joke than an actual gameplay mode. I don't even know if you can actually finish it.

Then again, there are people who've finished Axe Armor mode in PoR on level 1 hard difficulty, so I guess anything's possible.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Technically, you can play as Axe Armor in Symphony of the Night as well, though it's more of a joke than an actual gameplay mode. I don't even know if you can actually finish it.

Not without unequipping it all the time. The jump is hilariously pathetic, you wouldn't be able to make it out of the third room, and it has no powers or anything.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Richiter (misspelled) mode in PoR is the best mode and I want to play it in OoE. Albus mode level 1 has really awesome boss fights, though. I need to see if level 1 hard Albus has difficult stages if you don't just you can't hit me teleport everywhere.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Social Animal posted:

Apparently wall crawling was redundant because Arikardo Alucard could fly.

So what Grant owned. :mad:

Evil Eagle posted:

Richiter (misspelled) mode in PoR is the best mode and I want to play it in OoE. Albus mode level 1 has really awesome boss fights, though. I need to see if level 1 hard Albus has difficult stages if you don't just you can't hit me teleport everywhere.

A few spots are pretty brutal. The forest road is naturally a nightmare.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I started playing some older Castlevania games because I thought about how my favorite game is OoE but I've barely finished any of the others.

I played Circle of the Moon and Portrait of Ruin first to finish off the Metroidvanias.

All of the NES games were fun, 2 and 3 were especially interesting. They're both massive games for the NES.

I tried all 3 GB games next and they seem really bad. Castlevania the Adventure might be the worst Castlevania I've played.

Then I played 3 or so stages of SCIV and it was kind of boring. I'll give it another shot though.

Right now I'm right in the middle of Adventure Rebirth, Bloodlines and Castlevania 64. I've gotten up to stage 5 in Rebirth and so far it's definitely my favorite classic Castlevania game. The stages are massive and filled with alternate paths. It's just plain fun. Bloodlines is awesome and I love John Morris. I just did the section of Castlevania 64 where you aren't allowed to jump or get hit and it's not awful but I hope that the other 3d games are more interesting.

Aside from the games I mentioned I've beaten Rondo of Blood and all of the Metroidvanias. What other games should I try in my look at Castlevania's roots?

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 14, 2015

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I mean, other than the Kid Dracula games I think you hit them all.

I've played everything you mentioned except 64 and of the games that pre-date Symphony, SCIV is definitely my favorite. All the Castlevania games have different shades of horror to them, but IV has this weird, dreamlike quality to it, like an understated nightmare. A lot of it is the art and sound design, with all the smooth color blending and mellow soundtrack. I can totally see how someone could find the whole package boring, especially since it's one of the easiest classic games, but as a child that quiet creepiness mixed with the brutal difficulty to make a really effective horror experience.

Maybe it's something that you have to grow up with, but I love the ambiance of IV more than any of the other games.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Eagle posted:

I started playing some older Castlevania games because I thought about how my favorite game is OoE but I've barely finished any of the others.

I played Circle of the Moon and Portrait of Ruin first to finish off the Metroidvanias.

All of the NES games were fun, 2 and 3 were especially interesting. They're both massive games for the NES.

I tried all 3 GB games next and they seem really bad. Castlevania the Adventure might be the worst Castlevania I've played.

Then I played 3 or so stages of SCIV and it was kind of boring. I'll give it another shot though.

Right now I'm right in the middle of Adventure Rebirth, Bloodlines and Castlevania 64. I've gotten up to stage 5 in Rebirth and so far it's definitely my favorite classic Castlevania game. The stages are massive and filled with alternate paths. It's just plain fun. Bloodlines is awesome and I love John Morris. I just did the section of Castlevania 64 where you aren't allowed to jump or get hit and it's not awful but I hope that the other 3d games are more interesting.

Aside from the games I mentioned I've beaten Rondo of Blood and all of the Metroidvanias. What other games should I try in my look at Castlevania's roots?

If you hate yourself, there is an unofficial Castlevania roguelike out there. I've tried it a few times and the difficulty is ridiculous. I didn't really get anywhere, but it was a decent interpretation of the subject matter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Castlevania IV has some great sound design for an early SNES game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6fgUsqHNzA

Aside from that, did you play Dracula X and it's SNES sequel Dracula XX?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfbZz7B7fP0

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aside from that, did you play Dracula X and it's SNES sequel Dracula XX?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfbZz7B7fP0
That starting guitar(?) riff in stage one gets me hard every time.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

If you hate yourself, there is an unofficial Castlevania roguelike out there. I've tried it a few times and the difficulty is ridiculous. I didn't really get anywhere, but it was a decent interpretation of the subject matter.

Rogue Legacy? I like it, but I'd recommend it only after you've played all the real CV games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Castlevania Chronicles is the next obvious choice - it was originally released for Sharp X68000 computers but later released on PSX with some extra tweaks and such. It was made at the same time as Rondo and Bloodlines and is a loose remake of the original CV in the style of a high-end arcade game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Castlevania Chronicles is the next obvious choice - it was originally released for Sharp X68000 computers but later released on PSX with some extra tweaks and such. It was made at the same time as Rondo and Bloodlines and is a loose remake of the original CV in the style of a high-end arcade game.

Speaking of arcade game, there's Haunted Castle, the CV arcade game. Basically a CV1 style game where you play as Simon out to rescue your wife or something. I believe the Bloody Tears song originated from this game.

Oh and wasn't there one released in Japan 5-6 years ago? It was like a rails shooter but you could use a whip or be a Sypha type character. I'm on the phone let me see if I can find it.

Here it is: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania:_The_Arcade

Dang I wish I could try it. I'll check later if there is any footage on YouTube.