Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Bishyaler posted:

I thought I might ask you guys this to get pointed in the right direction: I'm taking over work for a small business (17 users) because the last guy disappeared/quit. From what I've gathered he's migrated them from Windows 2k3 to 2008 to 2012 over the course of one year. At some point the last guy migrated everyone's email to Office365. There is one physical server running Server 2012, and two shutdown Hyper-V VMs running Server 2008 named "Email" and "Server2008". I get called because trust relationship issues are randomly popping up all over the network. I've read about this issue before but I've never experienced it. Can anyone share their experience or recommend some things I should check, besides the clock/NTP on the DC?

It sounds like a more complicated problem than this, but there is a little-known hotfix for Win7 clients, adressing a specific AD trust bug. http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2914474/en-us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Trust issues can happen if there is a firewall between the DC and client. In such a small environment this is not probably the case though. Have you tried unbinding and re-binding the problematic workstations? When you unbind, does the object still exist in ADUC?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
What kind of VPN do I need so that remote workstations (7 and 8.1) can connect before user login, so that 1) credentials can be verified by DC and 2) network drives can be mapped.

It can be balls slow for all I care, I just need a drive mapped.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Windows' VPN can be logged in to at the login screen and will process login scripts when you do, but the option to do so doesn't show up until a VPN connection exists AND is flagged as available to all users. Uses PPTP, SSTP, or IPsec.

DirectAccess also does this and can work off of the above along with SSL VPN, though you probably want the DA server to handle VPN for DA enabled clients.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Roger that.

DA was my first choice here but we're not running enterprise.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

mayodreams posted:

Trust issues can happen if there is a firewall between the DC and client. In such a small environment this is not probably the case though. Have you tried unbinding and re-binding the problematic workstations? When you unbind, does the object still exist in ADUC?

No firewalls in place. I have been disjoining the most problematic device from the domain, deleting the computer object, then rejoining (under the same and different names). I got clued in to this powershell command which I have not had a chance to test yet: Test-ComputerSecureChannel –Server *dc name* -Repair -Verbose. I'd also like to try the hotfix Demie suggested.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Has anyone here worked with System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager? I'm about to start a new job and the manager wants me to take on the task of fixing their old System Center guy's "sloppy" implementation. Are there any good resources out there for learning it? I've already downloaded the evaluation version to add to my lab at home.

And before anyone asks, yes I did tell him beforehand that I've never worked with DPM.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bishyaler posted:

No firewalls in place. I have been disjoining the most problematic device from the domain, deleting the computer object, then rejoining (under the same and different names). I got clued in to this powershell command which I have not had a chance to test yet: Test-ComputerSecureChannel –Server *dc name* -Repair -Verbose. I'd also like to try the hotfix Demie suggested.

Also check your DNS on both the domain controllers and workstations. Have you tried dcdiag yet?

code:
dcdiag /a /v /c
Do that from an elevated cmd/powershell prompt on a domain controller.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Sacred Cow posted:

Has anyone here worked with System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager? I'm about to start a new job and the manager wants me to take on the task of fixing their old System Center guy's "sloppy" implementation. Are there any good resources out there for learning it? I've already downloaded the evaluation version to add to my lab at home.

And before anyone asks, yes I did tell him beforehand that I've never worked with DPM.

It's actually a pretty simple program to use, at least I found it so. Generally googling what you want to do will work, it's quite intuitive.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Sacred Cow posted:

I've used it all the way back to 2006 as orange sky says it's very strait forward. If you've never used the product and don't like/want to fiddle with anything to try it out. Steve Buchanan's 2012 SP1 book is a good generalist overview of the product, there aren't a ton of UI changes in R2 just some stuff under the hood.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-System-Center-Protection-Manager/dp/1849686300

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

What's a good sharepoint migration tool that costs under $500? I want it to move files into to libraries.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

What's a good sharepoint migration tool that costs under $500? I want it to move files into to libraries.

What are you trying to migrate? You might not even need a tool just some fancy scripts.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

What are you trying to migrate? You might not even need a tool just some fancy scripts.

fancy scripts is fine. I have a few folders that need to be moved into a library and a few other folders that need to be moved into another library. from vanilla ntfs share, to sharepoint online. I was going to use robocopy and then redo the permissions by hand.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

mayodreams posted:

Also check your DNS on both the domain controllers and workstations. Have you tried dcdiag yet?

code:
dcdiag /a /v /c
Do that from an elevated cmd/powershell prompt on a domain controller.

I think I found the start of the problem after reviewing the output of dcdiag. The 2008 DC had the DNS server role removed. What the hell was he doing? What else is broken? Sometimes I wish burning it to the ground and starting over was a realistic option.

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 31, 2015

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

orange sky posted:

It's actually a pretty simple program to use, at least I found it so. Generally googling what you want to do will work, it's quite intuitive.

Nebulis01 posted:

I've used it all the way back to 2006 as orange sky says it's very strait forward. If you've never used the product and don't like/want to fiddle with anything to try it out. Steve Buchanan's 2012 SP1 book is a good generalist overview of the product, there aren't a ton of UI changes in R2 just some stuff under the hood.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-System-Center-Protection-Manager/dp/1849686300

As long as this thing has some good logs to poke around at I'm sure I'll be able to Google my way through their issues.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

fancy scripts is fine. I have a few folders that need to be moved into a library and a few other folders that need to be moved into another library. from vanilla ntfs share, to sharepoint online. I was going to use robocopy and then redo the permissions by hand.

also what can I do to speed up robocopy to sharepoint online? I'm mapping a drive then doing robocopy. It's hella dragging.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bishyaler posted:

I think I found the start of the problem after reviewing the output of dcdiag. The 2008 DC had the DNS server role removed. What the hell was he doing? What else is broken? Sometimes I wish burning it to the ground and starting over was a realistic option.

Jesus. Do you have any other DNS servers?

Temp fix, update your DHCP to the new servers, turn on DNS again and give it a day or two to propagate.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Does anyone have a recommendation for an office scanner that will cause me the least amount of trouble? I would like one that can scan multiple pages and send it through email as a .pdf attachment. If it can also fax that would be nice.

It's a small office so it won't be used too often.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I spent four hours today trying to get PHP 5.6.0 running on IIS 8 / Win2012r2. I'm sitting here troubleshooting FastCGI, different .NET frameworks, etc. Total exercise in frustration -- though I did learn quite a few some nuances on the side.

I finally come across a guy who points out PHP on Windows is still 32 bit. OOooooooooh. Five minutes after installing a .NET x86 stack, everything is working.

Grrrrrr. Web Platform Installer couldn't install the necessary 32bit .NET stack itself?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

THF13 posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an office scanner that will cause me the least amount of trouble? I would like one that can scan multiple pages and send it through email as a .pdf attachment. If it can also fax that would be nice.

It's a small office so it won't be used too often.

this one is ok http://www.fujitsu.com/us/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/ix500/index.html

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

agreed with that. I have some of the higher end scanners from fujitsu, they are pretty solid.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Seconding this. ScanSnaps are the end-all-be-all of desktop scanners. They're super fast, include full versions of Adobe Acrobat, and are insanely simple to use. Load your documents, press button, done. They don't fax, but gently caress fax.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

nexxai posted:

Seconding this. ScanSnaps are the end-all-be-all of desktop scanners. They're super fast, include full versions of Adobe Acrobat, and are insanely simple to use. Load your documents, press button, done. They don't fax, but gently caress fax.

Heh. My company sells ScanSnaps but usually only $250k worth a time. Fujitsu knows what they're doing when it comes to these little things even the software side of things.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Having worked with multiple scanners and MFPs the Fujitsus are the only ones still trucking under their high workload. So long as regular maintenance is followed they never have an issue.

I'm sure their price makes for a vexed financial department though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Thanks, the fujitsu looks great.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So our Group Policy Objects no longer save changes, like the permissions are all fine and there are no errors you just change something and it just reverts back it's crazy. I can even make new ones just fine just never change the old ones Google has been low on anything seems like a rare situation.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Permissions on sysvol screwed up? Compare the security rights on an old GPO and a new GPO and see if something got removed.

And do a dcdiag, replication might be screwed up too.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

socialsecurity posted:

So our Group Policy Objects no longer save changes, like the permissions are all fine and there are no errors you just change something and it just reverts back it's crazy. I can even make new ones just fine just never change the old ones Google has been low on anything seems like a rare situation.

I know nothing but is there some bad replication going on?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

hihifellow posted:

Permissions on sysvol screwed up? Compare the security rights on an old GPO and a new GPO and see if something got removed.

And do a dcdiag, replication might be screwed up too.

DCdiag says replications fine and the security is identical for every single user on everything in sysvol it is maddening.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

m.hache posted:

Jesus. Do you have any other DNS servers?

Temp fix, update your DHCP to the new servers, turn on DNS again and give it a day or two to propagate.

Got them operational again. Thanks for all the help guys.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want to set up a 2012R2 DC for a new location, however I'm waiting for the networking to be finished.

If I set up this DC at my current location temporarily, is it going to be an absolute nightmare to relocate it later? I'll need to re-IP it obviously, and I'll need to drag things around in AD Sites and Services I'm sure, but are there any caveats I need to know about?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I want to set up a 2012R2 DC for a new location, however I'm waiting for the networking to be finished.

If I set up this DC at my current location temporarily, is it going to be an absolute nightmare to relocate it later? I'll need to re-IP it obviously, and I'll need to drag things around in AD Sites and Services I'm sure, but are there any caveats I need to know about?

Is there any reason why you need to set it up ahead of time?

I would recommend getting the machine operational but don't promote it until it's in place. The actual promotion of the system takes a few minutes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Definitely do that. Get the system running, patched, hardened, etc, but leave the dcpromo part until last minute.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Martytoof posted:

It's fine to set it up and then move it. I guess you'd want to do that if you're replicating a lot of stuff or you have little bandwidth in the remote office.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
You can re-ip a DC just fine, I did it last night to swap a 2003dc for a newer one so I wouldn't have to update static DNS entries on other servers. Just make sure you ipconfig /registerdns and dcdiag /fix.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's fine to set it up and then move it. I guess you'd want to do that if you're replicating a lot of stuff or you have little bandwidth in the remote office.

When we deploy remote DC's with limited bandwidth we configure the server ahead of time with an IFM file for the initial dcpromo that way it only has to sync the deltas.

We have some locations with very limited bandwidth, and our AD is fairly large.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

devmd01 posted:

You can re-ip a DC just fine, I did it last night to swap a 2003dc for a newer one so I wouldn't have to update static DNS entries on other servers. Just make sure you ipconfig /registerdns and dcdiag /fix.

There can definitely be issues re-IPing an existing DC, just to make things smoother and easier I would recommend re-IPing before he/she runs dcpromo, or demote to change then re-promote.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

For the experienced Windows Admins how'd did you guys learn it all?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah to be honest I don't NEED to do it now, I'd just rather do it because I've got a huge case of "I'm bored and I have nothing to do". At the same time I don't really want to do it twice so if I can re-IP the DC later then it's a win/win.

But yeah actually it does just take a dozen minutes to dcpromo it so I'm not even sure why I'm complaining. I'll just prep the machine and promo it later.

Thanks for the advice either way guys.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Tab8715 posted:

For the experienced Windows Admins how'd did you guys learn it all?

Real life applications (seeing environments and how they're set up and not set up well) Labs, trial & error in those labs, books, whitepapers, labs, a few conferences, certifications.

In that order.