Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I really don't see what the big deal is. I have enjoyed all Craig's Bond films. I find it funny that that would bother people and yet people remember Golden Eye like it was some kind of great Bond film and not the utter garbage it was. I swear positive memories of the video game overlapped into the movie over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

kiimo posted:

I really don't see what the big deal is. I have enjoyed all Craig's Bond films. I find it funny that that would bother people and yet people remember Golden Eye like it was some kind of great Bond film and not the utter garbage it was. I swear positive memories of the video game overlapped into the movie over time.
Right, that's what I was thinking, everyone overreacting. Just considering Connery Bond, Moore Bond, all the Brosnan movies, it's not like Daniel Craig has a minijetpack with a laser gun or something, Daniel Craig isn't being surgically turned into a racist caricature of a Japanese person, Daniel Craig isn't strangling women with their bikini tops or in outer space...it'll be okay. It's not like this is shattering some grand line of "Blofeld canon"
(though we all know this is best Blofeld :smugdog: )

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

I never think about the game when I watch the movie. I loving love it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Right, that's what I was thinking, everyone overreacting. Just considering Connery Bond, Moore Bond, all the Brosnan movies, it's not like Daniel Craig has a minijetpack with a laser gun or something, Daniel Craig isn't being surgically turned into a racist caricature of a Japanese person, Daniel Craig isn't strangling women with their bikini tops or in outer space...it'll be okay. It's not like this is shattering some grand line of "Blofeld canon"
(though we all know this is best Blofeld :smugdog: )

It's almost painful to admit all those things happened in Bond films. It's easy to say Bond in outer space is so loving stupid and played out but at the time it wasn't. History turned it into a misfire and maybe history will do the same for this film but then I guess if you up the production value you should assume fans will up their expectation values.

CelticPredator posted:

I never think about the game when I watch the movie. I loving love it.

Remington Steele jumps off a cliff and takes on a jet in a free-fall 100m dash. Even when I was a kid I was like c'mon. You can argue about the questionable plot decisions in Craig's Bonds but at least you don't have to like, re-invent physics.

don't talk to me about wind resistance or drag, please.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Um. Why are you knocking a Bond movie for it's physics? That's a really weird thing to do, man.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kiimo posted:

The only people who really loved the poo poo out of the video game were 5-15 year-olds who couldn't find a way to play Doom/Quake, and by the time Halo came out and standardized dual joysticks on a gamepad the video game became an instant relic that's absolute agony to play these days, so even then the positive words for Goldeneye are nothing more than nostalgic memories of 4 player deathmatch paintball/proximity mines/no Oddjob/slappers only garbage because they were too retarded or poor to afford a Playstation.

effectual posted:

Bond gets captured in every movie by the bad guys, only fair that in Skyfall the alt-Bond gets captured too.

That is like, the least of the similarities to The Dark Knight in how the latter half of the movie plays out. Besides "the villain wanted to be captured" has become a staple in manchild action franchise movies long before Skyfall did it--The Dark Knight, Avengers, Into Darkness all feature a second act in which the bad guy allows himself to be captured in order to execute some stupid plan.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GoldenEye was fun. If you didn't like it, that's OK because it's a game and subjective and not at all worth calling people retarded over.

That's retarded.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In-case you didn't pick up on it I loved the gently caress out of that game and I use the jargon to prove it in my post. That said have you tried to play the game in the last 15 years? It's antiquated as balls. One-joystick FPS games only had two major hits for drat good reason.

If you want to get touchy over a naughty word because it's "abelist" or whatever then go for it. I don't give a rip. Lord help you if you accidentally stumble onto the rest of the internet one day.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Um. Why are you knocking a Bond movie for it's physics? That's a really weird thing to do, man.

I was a cantankerous child.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mind the walrus posted:

In-case you didn't pick up on it I loved the gently caress out of that game and I use the jargon to prove it in my post. That said have you tried to play the game in the last 15 years? It's antiquated as balls. One-joystick FPS games only had two major hits for drat good reason.

If you want to get touchy over a naughty word because it's "abelist" or whatever then go for it. I don't give a rip. Lord help you if you accidentally stumble onto the rest of the internet one day.

I love the word retarded. I just thought you were being a 'gamer dick'. I hate those dudes. Lookin down on people playing video games. Yeesh. My bad.
But yeah, I'm sure it's not as great as it was when I was a kid. Still fun though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

CelticPredator posted:

I love the word retarded.

look out, we got a couple of cool, edgy dudes here

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wouldn't call myself edgy. I just like some hosed up words. Y'know?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I wouldn't call myself edgy. I just like some hosed up words. Y'know?

No, I don't.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
i hope daniel craig goes to space in the rewritten ending, and he and chris waltz can have a super saiyan battle for the fate of the earth

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The amount of talent they get for these movies is pretty staggering. Oh we lost Roger Deakins? Guess we'll just have to go with Hoyte van Hoytema.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i only watched the first 10-15 seconds because i dont want to know any plot. looks very rocky-ey tho

Yeah, Rocky casts a long shadow.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jewmanji posted:

The amount of talent they get for these movies is pretty staggering. Oh we lost Roger Deakins? Guess we'll just have to go with Hoyte van Hoytema.

I mean it's sort of like Star Wars. Who wouldn't want to say "yeah I was in a Bond movie"?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Craig's bond is by far the best and essentially renders all other Bonds pretty lame so I'm not sure what anyone is even arguing about.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kiimo posted:

I enjoyed GoldenEye and have never played the game or even seen it played.

Brosnan wasn't the best Bond, but his movies had the quirks of Moore combined with the style of Connery. After the two profoundly po-faced Dalton movies and a six-year silence they were a breath of fresh air.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Brosnan was a good bond in my opinion, but only Golden Eye was a remotely good Bond movie of his. The other ones were super bad

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Brosnan was a good bond in my opinion, but only Golden Eye was a remotely good Bond movie of his. The other ones were super bad

They got worse with each outing and I think he did as well as could be expected with what he had to work with.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

They got worse with each outing and I think he did as well as could be expected with what he had to work with.

Yeah, Brosnan was a great bond, kind of the perfect mix between campy, classy, and serious, but he really got screwed with the films he was placed in past goldeneye.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Craig Bond is the best because he's mean. There's a fierce edge to him that nobody else really has. Sure Connery and Brosnan could be cruel, but it came from a refined sort of place. Cold detachment, instead of cold fury. Craig actually seems capable of strangling someone.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Craig Bond is the best because he's mean. There's a fierce edge to him that nobody else really has. Sure Connery and Brosnan could be cruel, but it came from a refined sort of place. Cold detachment, instead of cold fury. Craig actually seems capable of strangling someone.

Someone hasn't seen Licence to Kill. "Watch the birdie, you bastard."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Goldeneye is the fun goofy counterpart to Skyfall. They both do the best evil Bonds, but Goldeneye's evil Bond is all about just having a constant snark off with James. Its great.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Plus Goldeneye has Ouromov as the background villain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mr.capps posted:

Goldeneye is the fun goofy counterpart to Skyfall. They both do the best evil Bonds, but Goldeneye's evil Bond is all about just having a constant snark off with James. Its great.

Also the bad guy was Sean Bean before he entered the "die in every loving thing" phase of his career.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jedit posted:

Also the bad guy was Sean Bean before he entered the "die in every loving thing" phase of his career.

Who dies at the end of the movie

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

notaspy posted:

And who we thought was dead 5 minutes in.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Prolonged Priapism posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HYLPk-ra4

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

notaspy posted:

I think you misunderstood. GoldenEye came out when Sean Bean was best known for Sharpe and did often see the end credits roll - in fact it was pretty much the start of the trend. Compare with 15 years later, when someone I know guessed Ned Stark was going to be killed in Game of Thrones because Sean Bean was playing him.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

After rewatching a few Bonds from the end of the Connery era to Craig, I'm seriously amazed the franchise lasted as long as it has. So many films that seem to be universally thought of as bad.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
New Fury Road trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJnMQG9ev8

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was already sold on Mad Max but holy poo poo :stare:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

loving Christ, that shouldn't look as good as it does.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really didn't want to be sold on this but dammit it sold me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The phrase "my body is ready" has never felt more right. I would like to watch it from a chair that bucks like I'm in one of the cars in the movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

davidspackage posted:

The phrase "my body is ready" has never felt more right. I would like to watch it from a chair that bucks like I'm in one of the cars in the movie.

If you're in the right spot…

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jeez the closest 2 are an hour each way. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Hard to believe one of the most anticipated movies of the year could be a fourth Mad Max, but this is the timeline we live in. fffffuck yes.
If it was just Hardy subbing in for Gibson I'd have reservations, but Charlize Theron is the second lead, so everything is awesome. And I love Nicholas Hoult, too! The absolute relish with which he says "WHAT A LOVELY DAY!" just cracks me up.

• Locked thread