Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Got approved of the Citi Double Cash with an initial limit of $900. What are the chances of calling customer service right off the bat and trying to get that raised a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
If anyone is looking for a place to track all of their rewards points (Airlines, Credit Cards, Hotels, Rentals, etc.) I've been very happy with Award Wallet. It's like mint but it tracks your points instead of transactions.

If you use this link, it will give me referral credit:

http://awardwallet.com/?refCode=gzirmuzwgv

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Swingline posted:

Does Amex only let you get one signup bonus ever from any of their cards? I recently opened my first card with them and got a $250 bonus (blue cash preferred). Now, when I go to their site while logged in, all of the signup bonuses disappear for all cards. When I open a new browser and visit anonymously, I see signup bonus offers for all their cards. I'm not talking about churning the same card, it looks like they just wont ever give you any signup bonus for any of their cards again once you get one.

This has been true for a little less than a year. Most of the agreements have: "This offer is offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.” So far, AMEX is the only company I know that does this. That makes it kinda important to make sure you get the juiced promotional bonuses (50K Delta Plat, 30K SPG) when you do sign up. FWIW, Amex is easily the best credit card company I've ever dealt with in terms of software. Aside from some errors their system threw while signing up with a pop-up blocker running, their web interface is 10 times better than any other company. Plus, there's Small Business Saturday when you basically get $X for free to spend at specific businesses, and the occasional free money Uber promo. So long as I can negotiate discounted annual fees, I'll keep my card.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

SaltLick posted:

Got approved of the Citi Double Cash with an initial limit of $900. What are the chances of calling customer service right off the bat and trying to get that raised a bit?

Probably pretty slim. If you request a limit increase after 60-90 days of on-time payments you will probably have a better chance.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I had success raising my credit limit immediately in the past by asking for a specific amount and saying I wanted to make the purchase right away.

So instead of "Can I have higher?" its, "I was hoping to buy x for $z, can you raise my limit? I applied for the card specifically for this purchase."

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

In the 15 years I've been with Chase, they have never caught actual fraud on my cards. I used to travel once a month for business over 5 years, so whatever, card compromises happen. Either the thieves understand the bank's process for fraud detection better than the banks, or my consumer profile has $500 truck stop purchases incorporated into it. I estimate that I had cards compromised 5 times across that 5 years. Again, never once did they actually flag those as fraud. I caught them when I'd log into online banking and fill out the paperwork, eventually get refunded.

I opened up the Sapphire Preferred about 2 months ago and have been pushing money through it, you know, because the incentives Chase laid out tell me to do so. Last night, I bought some dinner, paid for Comic Con hotel, bought concert tickets for the 1 millionth time in my life, and paid my car insurance bill. Apparently that triggered a fraud alert. Luckily for me, they didn't stealth reject the comic con hotel purchase or else I would've probably driven a car through their corporate HQ lobby. So, I have to waste another 10 minutes of my life answering dumb security questions that pretty much anybody could socially engineer the answers to and verify that yes, I purchased $1,000 of travel on your loving flagship travel card.

A short list of other things that have triggered fraud alerts on my account in the last year:
Buying sneakers an hour away from my home
Buying Jack in the Box and gasoline an hour away from my home
Purchasing United partner (Copa) airfare on the United branded card

When I occasionally go into a branch, they ask if they can sell me on their investment services or review my portfolio. I just tell them it's with Vanguard and I'm very happy with Vanguard's service and fees. I don't tell them that between all these fraud alerts, sending chip and signature cards (instead of the actually useful chip and pin), etc... that they're the most loving downsy bank I've ever dealt with and I'd never, ever trust them to make good decisions in my best interest with any real amount of money. gently caress, they're frustrating. The only real reason I even have any accounts with them at all is because their mobile app is pretty good at depositing checks.

Anyway, that's my rant. I'm now done with Sapphire and even did my first Redbird swipe on it today. Had to call in to notify them of the purchase since they rejected the $500 initial load (obviously did NOT want to make this call). I looked around last night and there aren't any great sign-up bonuses floating around out there, so I might do a Marriott/Hilton/IHG card while I wait.

Edit: Signed up for the US Airways card, figure there's a pretty good chance I'll get to stack it with the AA card still and get 100K. If not, that's ok too. Still looking for any juiced sign-ups bonuses since I don't have any great outlet for Redbird MS right now.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 25, 2015

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
I was recently added as an authorized user on a credit card for a family business. Issued a card and all that. Will this line effect my credit score at all? I checked my report and it does not even seem to show up, and they didn't run an inquiry when I was added. I understand this is called "piggybacking" and the score rules were changed a few years ago to prevent abusing it, but just wondering what, if any, effect it can still have.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Can you sign up for 2 tiers of the same card (ie Citi AAdvantage platinum and Citi AAdvantage gold) to get each bonus (50k and 25k)? I don't want to waste a hard pull if not.

Cacafuego posted:

If I was an authorized user on an Amex card years ago (account closed last year - a joint card with my now ex-wife), can I have the date on my current card change to reflect that? Will that help increase my AAoA with Amex?

In case anyone is interested, they are sending me a new card with "member since 2012". I'm still unsure whether this actually affects my AAoA or not.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

Can you sign up for 2 tiers of the same card (ie Citi AAdvantage platinum and Citi AAdvantage gold) to get each bonus (50k and 25k)? I don't want to waste a hard pull if not.

I can't speak for Citi specifically, but in general yes that works. I had both Gold and Plat Delta cards from Amex. Oddly enough, they would occasionally get different offers with my Gold card getting the coveted $10 refund on an Uber ride, but my Plat not.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Just got my Barclay's card. Like the card itself and the benefits, but gently caress the website is janky looking. Much prefer my Discover IT setup.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dead Pressed posted:

Just got my Barclay's card. Like the card itself and the benefits, but gently caress the website is janky looking. Much prefer my Discover IT setup.
Yeah, it's a little clunky. If you get a card reissued I would call to activate it. The site kept saying mine (2, gf and I) were activated but they weren't.

Phone customer service has been A+ though!

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Dead Pressed posted:

Oh man, I feel like I'm spoiled with the Barclay's site. Citi's and Fidelity's sites look like school projects.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mofabio posted:

Oh man, I feel like I'm spoiled with the Barclay's site. Citi's and Fidelity's sites look like school projects.

What? Barclay's site is like baby's first usability study.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Barclay's is pretty bad, and honestly is 100% the reason I didn't use Baby's First Barclay's card very often. It's OK once you get used to it, but every other one I dealt with before that was better.

As the poster above said, though, on the phone they're fantastic and will be quick to take care of whatever crazy issue you may be able to come up with. I told them their website was unintuitive and they acknowledged it and apologized, haha.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Babby's first credit card time:

I probably should have posted this beforehand but I just got the amazon credit card.
My reasoning is that I do 90% of my big and small purchases through amazon.
A lot of cards also have gas and groceries bonuses which wouldn't matter to me as my food co-op doesn't take credit cards and I don't own a car.
Good decision?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Probably a great choice. I like the Amazon card myself, and Chase has always treated me well personally.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The only real bad decisions in this game are
1. Not paying off your balance in full each month
2. Missing a promotion by not having enough spend (Spend $1k in 3 months to get 20k points or whatever)
3. Applying for far too many cards in a small period of time

You're doing just fine.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Mofabio posted:

Yeah, anyone that complains about the barclays site hasn't used the Fidelity credit card one.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Called Amex today because I received an Amex HHonors no AF card earlier this month with the 40,000 point bonus for $750 spend in 3 months. I met that, received the points and saw today that I didn't do my homework earlier and that there was a 50,000 point offer for the same card when I applied.

I chatted with Amex this afternoon and while the 1st rep couldn't do anything, I asked to escalate. The next rep first offered 3000 extra points (couldn't give me 10,000, she said) and that I would've had to apply using the 50,000 point page to get that deal. I told her I wanted 10,000 as everything was the same, but I didn't know the link was available.

I threatened to close and get the HHonors no AF card from Citi (which has a 60,000 HHonors point bonus available). Then, I asked for an upgrade to the Amex HHonors Surpass (50,000 points with $3k/3mo spend). She told me she couldn't do the upgrade (which she said I can do when targeted), but because of my good history with Amex since 2011 (I paid off/closed my gold card last June) that, yes they will give me the 10,000 points!

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 29, 2015

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thoughts on Amazon's store card?

I already have the chase visa from them (3% Amazon, 2% restaurants and gas and stuff, 1% rest.)

My understanding is that the Amazon card is 5% Amazon, and no other rewards?

I buy a lot from Amazon so I'm interested in getting the extra 2% but people on their forums are saying that this bank somehow gets away with charging interest immediately upon your purchases rather than after you carry a balance.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Blinky2099 posted:

Thoughts on Amazon's store card?

I already have the chase visa from them (3% Amazon, 2% restaurants and gas and stuff, 1% rest.)

My understanding is that the Amazon card is 5% Amazon, and no other rewards?

I buy a lot from Amazon so I'm interested in getting the extra 2% but people on their forums are saying that this bank somehow gets away with charging interest immediately upon your purchases rather than after you carry a balance.

I was planning to add it to the OP with some caveats, if I had the card I would leave it in a drawer at home and use it exclusively for Amazon purchases. You need to have your own Amazon Prime account, it won't give you cash back if you are linked to someone else's Prime account.

I can't find anything about them charging interest immediately, if that were the case I would think there would be a much bigger uproar about it.

Synchrony Bank is relatively new, they used to be GE Capital Retail Bank and most of the impressions people have with them are negative. They are a legitimate bank but their site/interface/support is not the best.

Finally you can get 5% cashback on Amazon through the Sallie Mae Credit Card as an alternative option, limited to $750/month.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THF13 posted:

it won't give you cash back if you are linked to someone else's Prime account.
Oh... that's an important distinction.

THF13 posted:

I can't find anything about them charging interest immediately, if that were the case I would think there would be a much bigger uproar about it.
I'm just going based off of the many complaints found here on their forums: http://www.amazon.com/forum/store%20card

THF13 posted:

Finally you can get 5% cashback on Amazon through the Sallie Mae Credit Card as an alternative option, limited to $750/month.
Whoah.. I didn't realize this. I was just using my Sallie Mae for gas and groceries. I thought "book stores" was a lot more strict. Does Amazon count as a "book store" regardless of what I purchase? Any other purchases I should be using my Sallie Mae for that I might not know about?

If that's the case I don't see much point in using my Amazon chase card at all -- the only advantage over the Sallie Mae is the occasional 2% cashback on restaurants and such, but if I picked up the citi doublecash I would be getting that + double on everything else. The amazon visa seems pretty useless now (although it was a good card for me to start building credit with. I'm well past that point now though.)

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Blinky2099 posted:

Oh... that's an important distinction.

I'm just going based off of the many complaints found here on their forums: http://www.amazon.com/forum/store%20card
Whoah.. I didn't realize this. I was just using my Sallie Mae for gas and groceries. I thought "book stores" was a lot more strict. Does Amazon count as a "book store" regardless of what I purchase? Any other purchases I should be using my Sallie Mae for that I might not know about?

If that's the case I don't see much point in using my Amazon chase card at all -- the only advantage over the Sallie Mae is the occasional 2% cashback on restaurants and such, but if I picked up the citi doublecash I would be getting that + double on everything else. The amazon visa seems pretty useless now (although it was a good card for me to start building credit with. I'm well past that point now though.)

Sallie Mae and Amazon is a bit hard to figure out. Any digital purchases like books for your Kindle or digital download games do not qualify for the 5%.
Any physical items sold by Amazon you do get the 5%.
Items sold by other sellers through Amazon are where it gets tricky, I think officially items fulfilled by Amazon will get the 5%, but I have heard a lot of conflicting information on this.

If you really want to min/max though you could buy Amazon gift cards through Amazon which do get the 5% bonus and then buy whatever you want without worry.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

Synchrony Bank is relatively new, they used to be GE Capital Retail Bank and most of the impressions people have with them are negative. They are a legitimate bank but their site/interface/support is not the best.
Yeah I've had an account with them for like nine months, purely for that 1% interest rate on savings accounts. Their website is pretty hot garbage, it looks like it was designed years and years ago.

I haven't had any actual issues with it though, all of my transfers and autopays have never had any problems. They do seem to take a day or so longer than my credit union does to clear funds though.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Shoutout again to Amex savings who has a modern interface (if you dig the tablet/mint look) and easy and gives 0.89!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

Shoutout again to Amex savings who has a modern interface (if you dig the tablet/mint look) and easy and gives 0.89!

If amex wanted to make it easy for mobile users to do... whatever, they could just make the mobile app have more features than "pay your balance" and "view your reward points but not redeem them".

Now, in order to browse through possible spending rewards on a desktop, I have to keep scrolling, and scrolling, and scrolling.

It's bad.

I don't have anything to say about the rest of it though, the other parts might be good.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Well, this weekend I learned that Amex waives all annual fees on all their credit cards for active duty military members.

I've got over 8 years left on my contract, Amex Platinum, here I come.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah I've had an account with them for like nine months, purely for that 1% interest rate on savings accounts. Their website is pretty hot garbage, it looks like it was designed years and years ago.

I haven't had any actual issues with it though, all of my transfers and autopays have never had any problems. They do seem to take a day or so longer than my credit union does to clear funds though.
GE Capital doesn't hook up to Quicken, or didn't at the first of this year. Game-stopper for me!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Their password requirements are also heinous.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Blinkman987 posted:

Except that they do this really lovely godawful burn it to the ground seriously wtf were they thinking side-scrolling rewards offers thing. Like gently caress I don't even bother checking anymore if they have some kind of cash back reward for a store I was going to go to anyway because it's so terrible.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Discover probably has the best web interface I've used. Clean, modern, and free of superfluous animations.

The new AMEX works but I agree with the problems mentioned already. Chase and Citi look like they came from the early 2000's. Barclaycard is okay but looks like a fisher price design team made it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Apparently Citi is about to update their interface

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Except that they do this really lovely godawful burn it to the ground seriously wtf were they thinking side-scrolling rewards offers thing. Like gently caress I don't even bother checking anymore if they have some kind of cash back reward for a store I was going to go to anyway because it's so terrible.

I agree, and it appears they've pretty much abandoned the Twitter aspect of the deal as well. I like the offers as it's really, really good for people who can expense business purchases, but the way in which one is informed of them and chooses the offers is indefensible.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

SaltLick posted:

Apparently Citi is about to update their interface

Good, their interface is as bad as Barclay's in quite a few regards.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I used to visit a frequent flier community when I was traveling 70K miles a year (BIS miles). As you can expect from a forum full of travelers who either pay for their flights through wealth, business, or min/maxing bonuses, they're quite a miserable lot. Their Redbird thread is full of people complaining that some manager said they couldn't load $2,500 on a card that wasn't in their name, or that some manager DARED to make a decision on allowing/disallowing CC loads, or that a product that's supposed to be in test phase in test markets doesn't work perfectly. One guy was threatening to go to the state finance board and wage a complaint because the system didn't handle his bullshit MS acrobatics and it may have lost a transaction.

So, uh, since everyone else has decided scorched earth is the best policy-- smoke 'em while you got 'em.

In churn news, Citi sent me a letter confirming that I would get my AA Plat Select card in 10 days instead of, you know, just sending me the card. US Air just sent me an email confirming that I would get their card as well instead of just sending me the card. The US Air one with 50K miles (which will be converted to AA) is still available, but only via referral link.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

I used to visit a frequent flier community when I was traveling 70K miles a year (BIS miles). As you can expect from a forum full of travelers who either pay for their flights through wealth, business, or min/maxing bonuses, they're quite a miserable lot. Their Redbird thread is full of people complaining that some manager said they couldn't load $2,500 on a card that wasn't in their name, or that some manager DARED to make a decision on allowing/disallowing CC loads, or that a product that's supposed to be in test phase in test markets doesn't work perfectly. One guy was threatening to go to the state finance board and wage a complaint because the system didn't handle his bullshit MS acrobatics and it may have lost a transaction.

So, uh, since everyone else has decided scorched earth is the best policy-- smoke 'em while you got 'em.

In churn news, Citi sent me a letter confirming that I would get my AA Plat Select card in 10 days instead of, you know, just sending me the card. US Air just sent me an email confirming that I would get their card as well instead of just sending me the card. The US Air one with 50K miles (which will be converted to AA) is still available, but only via referral link.

Yeah, FlyerTalk is a bit of a sinkhole when it comes to that. I look at MS as a gift. If it works, I roll with it. I don't argue with a manager or cashier, nor do I try to push the limits of the way the card works because I'm lazy. I do have 3 redbirds but have the common courtesy to go to the service desk first or a cashier without a line. I do the one-swipe for $1k load, unless there's still no line then I'll do another. Otherwise I'll walk through the store, grab a Blu-ray or something, go back in line buy it and reload again.

Takes a few trips but don't ever push the limits. This is a gift, really.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, FlyerTalk is a bit of a sinkhole when it comes to that. I look at MS as a gift. If it works, I roll with it. I don't argue with a manager or cashier, nor do I try to push the limits of the way the card works because I'm lazy. I do have 3 redbirds but have the common courtesy to go to the service desk first or a cashier without a line. I do the one-swipe for $1k load, unless there's still no line then I'll do another. Otherwise I'll walk through the store, grab a Blu-ray or something, go back in line buy it and reload again.

Takes a few trips but don't ever push the limits. This is a gift, really.

Yup, I am willing to be honest with myself that this is pretty grey and although really harmless, definitely unintended by the financial institutions. If they don't mind my gamesmanship in figuring out how to bend their systems, cool. If they do, that's cool too. It's a gift, and I'm never going to freak out over what amounts to $25-$35 of free money. And if they need a bit of dog-and-pony show, that's alright. I usually load, then either pick up something I planned on getting or I act like I'm going to shop.

Plus, trying to position myself as superior to a store manager-- someone who's actually in charge-- is never going to be productive. I feel bad for anybody who gets off on that. Ultimately, it's the staff that's in control of what I'm allowed to do and I need to respect that. I think it's funny that a lot of these people look down on those store managers, but the head store manager probably makes more money than they do. If they made more than store managers, these MS freaks wouldn't be losing their minds over $20 unless they were on the autism spectrum.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 31, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

Yup, I am willing to be honest with myself that this is pretty grey and although really harmless, definitely unintended by the financial institutions. If they don't mind my gamesmanship in figuring out how to bend their systems, cool. If they do, that's cool too. It's a gift, and I'm never going to freak out over what amounts to $25-$35 of free money. And if they need a bit of dog-and-pony show, that's alright. I usually load, then either pick up something I planned on getting or I act like I'm going to shop.

Plus, trying to position myself as superior to a store manager-- someone who's actually in charge-- is never going to be productive. I feel bad for anybody who gets off on that. Ultimately, it's the staff that's in control of what I'm allowed to do and I need to respect that. I think it's funny that a lot of these people look down on those store managers, but the head store manager probably makes more money than they do. If they made more than store managers, these MS freaks wouldn't be losing their minds over $20 unless they were on the autism spectrum.

Basically anyone who acts superior to anyone is a piece of poo poo, so your argument holds well.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
edit: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone here have the costco american express? They're switching to visa at some point in the near future. Is anyone else in the same boat as me:
-I don't want to get the new visa card
-I want to keep this american express card (or switch to a different amex card, but basically keep my amex account open)
-I want to stay at costco, I can use my existing visa card from another bank, to pay (right?) and then not get their new card?
-I'm ok with having to call up american express to 'transfer my account' away from costco or whatever. or will they want to retain me as a customer and try to send me some kind of helpful forms or something?

Is there a way to do all of this?