Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Moey posted:

How is an Aeropress better than your standard french press?
Some people complain about the sediment in the coffee with a french press. You don't get that with the Aeropress due to the paper filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

An hour on the phone troubleshooting with people who have no concept of planning ahead. Unplugging poo poo and not bothering to label/remember where it was plugged into (let alone TELLING ME YOU'RE MOVING IT), and then calling me crying because it's not working now. I'm not even pissed off just because it's a waste of *my* time, but now this site doesn't have a fax OR working cordless phone so their lack of foresight is also impacting clinical services. I ended up giving up and telling them that someone would need to make a site visit to get everything working again. Blessedly my boss has volunteered to make the drive.

bbl rage quitting this day

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kazinsal posted:

I couldn't find a megathread for this, and gently caress it, this poo poo is pissing me off, so... any SpamAssassin gurus here?

Not a work thing, but gently caress spam. I've had this stuff coming into one of my email addresses from literally randomly registered domain names and various newly registered domain names (more often than not using the new gTLDs) for weeks now, and it's getting out of hand. One day I cleared it all out at 8am and had 15 new spam emails by noon.

The crazy thing is SpamAssassin is marking it all as low numbers (between 0.2 and 2.6/10) on the "how obviously spam is this" scale -- for those who've never used SpamAssassin, 5.0 is by default the "yep, it's likely spam" threshold and "it's not spam" can go into negative numbers. The auto-whitelist feature is disabled and the database is empty, because I've already had that issue. These messages simply aren't firing any "obvious spam" algorithms even though to humans who are at all computer-literate it's clearly not legitimate.

I've blacklisted one of the most commonly used TLDs, and here's SpamAssassin's rule flags for one of the blocked messages:

code:
  100 USER_IN_BLACKLIST      From: address is in the user's black-list
 -0.0 SPF_HELO_PASS          SPF: HELO matches SPF record
 -0.0 SPF_PASS               SPF: sender matches SPF record
  0.8 HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_02    BODY: HTML has a low ratio of text to image area
  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
  1.3 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS
This poo poo's arcane to me. I just do routers and switches and stuff.
I don't know anything about SpamAssassin but I know we use it and a large majority of our customers complain about spam, also from gTLDs. We don't use cPanel but I did find this forums post about dropping in a newer version of the RegistrarBoundaries.pm file. But I don't know if that works because the server admins at my work just close tickets when they show up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

anthonypants posted:

I don't know anything about SpamAssassin but I know we use it and a large majority of our customers complain about spam, also from gTLDs. We don't use cPanel but I did find this forums post about dropping in a newer version of the RegistrarBoundaries.pm file. But I don't know if that works because the server admins at my work just close tickets when they show up.

This would be really useful if my host was on top of their updates. Time to look through the documentation for SpamAssassin to see if I can override RegistrarBoundaries on an account-level basis.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Another supportive post of the AeroPress. It's cheap, pretty easy to clean up, makes coffee only for you (so you don't have to feel guilty about tossing the rest of the pot of coffee that you thought you or someone else in the office was going to drink), and for me one of the benefits was that they actually recommend the water temp be 180 degrees, not boiling, and the water cooler filter thing in the office puts out hot water at exactly that. So literally no time required other than grinding the beans.

Also I got the steel filter and I'd recommend it - rinses off easily and I haven't noticed any issues with taste.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

My boss is going on a trip to New York for a week starting tomorrow; it's pretty exciting for him, it's a birthday present from his girlfriend from way back in February and they've got all these cool plans. I was concerned at first, because with them gone it's just me and one other person, but we have a great $VeteranCustomerSupport person who's had a year in the job and is totally self-starting and problem-solving. Then around 5pm today I get this IM from the boss:
"$VeteranCustomerSupport has handed in their notice effective immediately."

Oh thank god she's doing her two weeks.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Oh thank god she's doing her two weeks.

How many sick days does she have banked? She could just cash those out and not come into work.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Hoshi posted:

ETA in peace.

Can I get an estimate on that ETA?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We've become so... I don't know what to call it. Project focused? Is that a thing? ... that you can't mention anything you're going to do without being asked for an ETA. It has gotten so bad that a guy mentioned that he was whiteboarding a project this morning, this would be a pretty significant infrastructure change, and he's already been asked for an ETA for it. It's all theory now, we don't need to worry about ETA. Stop saying ETA. What is your ETA on not asking about my ETA?

It is too bad because project management is a perfectly legitimate discipline, but I don't know if I'm exposed to any job which it is easier to be bad at.

I swear sometimes we are the same person.

I got into it last week with someone who wanted an ETA over a project that hadn't even been funded yet and things got pretty heated. He asked for an eta and I explained where the project was, who it was waiting on approval from, and how I didn't have one and it just escalated. It got to a point where I pointed out that that he seemed to be wanting to give me a deadline (not asking an ETA at all) and that was well out of his authority to do so.

I think that is honestly how its been for a while though. I have moved away from giving eta's at all because the common view of what an eta is has shifted in the places I work for. An ETA has somehow turned into a promise instead of an estimate and that is just frustrating.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

I got into it last week with someone who wanted an ETA over a project that hadn't even been funded yet and things got pretty heated. He asked for an eta and I explained where the project was, who it was waiting on approval from, and how I didn't have one and it just escalated. It got to a point where I pointed out that that he seemed to be wanting to give me a deadline (not asking an ETA at all) and that was well out of his authority to do so.

I think that is honestly how its been for a while though. I have moved away from giving eta's at all because the common view of what an eta is has shifted in the places I work for. An ETA has somehow turned into a promise instead of an estimate and that is just frustrating.

My boss asked for an ETA on a project that he needed to approve.

"Anywhere between now and 2016"

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sirotan posted:

An hour on the phone troubleshooting with people who have no concept of planning ahead. Unplugging poo poo and not bothering to label/remember where it was plugged into (let alone TELLING ME YOU'RE MOVING IT), and then calling me crying because it's not working now. I'm not even pissed off just because it's a waste of *my* time, but now this site doesn't have a fax OR working cordless phone so their lack of foresight is also impacting clinical services. I ended up giving up and telling them that someone would need to make a site visit to get everything working again. Blessedly my boss has volunteered to make the drive.

bbl rage quitting this day

I had a similar thing happen. I got a call out of the blue with one of the office managers going "WE CAN'T PRINT WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING FIX IT". So we spend a good thirty minutes troubleshooting only for me to hear "should we just call the copier company guy? I have his number since he was here yesterday swapping the old copier with a new one" said in the background. So ... not only was it a leased copier, but they had replaced it with a totally different unit the day before and didn't bother to tell anyone. A complete waste of time all around.

My new rage-inducing thing this week is battery backups. Out of the 6 in our office, I think every single one has batteries that are past their operational lifespan, one of the UPSes has a giant red "battery bad" light blinking, on one of the units half the sockets don't work (always a good sign in something power-related), on another one master/controlled by master don't work, etc. All of the units also appear to have been bought at random with no concern for load & runtime so it's a massive clusterfuck if we do lose power, and then to top it all off the new UPS I ordered was faulty upon arrival and had to be RMA'd. "We'll have a new unit to you within four weeks". Great.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

We absolutely are the same person, and we live in the same area - we obviously need to work together.

And you're spot on, it's never about ETA, it's about deadlines. I can hear it from 3 rooms away, "if you were to work on only this, how quickly do you think you could have it done?", as I come screaming down the hallway yelling "WAIT! WAIT! You're committing to a deadline!!!" My recent argument was similar to yours - in yours, you called out their authority, my argument was because I flat refused to give an ETA on something. When it's done is the ETA. The actionables are doing it, the deliverables are the things I did.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Offsite is crawling up my rear end about the wifi. One AP serving 3 computers is down and it's an :siren: EMERGENCY :siren:. 2 of those computers are mainly used to print random poo poo and store photos of the preschoolers (which is a rant for another day)

I got rotated out last week, but I may have to go anyway. New guy already went this week for a profile setup that was already done and that they refused to do remotely. It's like gently caress off already, leave me alone. I'm not going to end up falling asleep on the road and crashing into a ditch just because you assholes are cheap and thought wifi aps over some ghetto DSL link was a good idea and desperately need that one weeny little pc running right away.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sheep posted:

I had a similar thing happen. I got a call out of the blue with one of the office managers going "WE CAN'T PRINT WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING FIX IT". So we spend a good thirty minutes troubleshooting only for me to hear "should we just call the copier company guy? I have his number since he was here yesterday swapping the old copier with a new one" said in the background. So ... not only was it a leased copier, but they had replaced it with a totally different unit the day before and didn't bother to tell anyone. A complete waste of time all around.

Troubleshoot is one of those skills that impossible to teach, I have no idea how you develop it. Before I was in IT, I was a jet mechanic and worked on aircraft radios and instruments, and I had to troubleshoot problems all the time. You learn to see inside a problem and figure out the moving parts and how hey are malfunctioning. I think that really equipment me for a career in IT.

I run into this scenario all the time: my job is to manage and setup server environments for developers. I install a tomcat instance, and some servlets, and it's all working with the base config, they start, the logs are clean and it's all good. A few weeks later I get a call from the developers.

Devs: The tomcat you installed isn't working.

Fat Jony Ives: Ok, did it work when I first delivered it to you?

Devs: Yes, but it stopped working last night

Fat Jony Ives: What were you working on? Can you roll back your changes and see if it starts up?

Devs: No, because we didn't do anything. It just stopped working.

Fat Jony Ives: Wait, you've been working on that servlet for weeks, how can you "not have done anything"

Devs: No, we did nothing. It's just not working.

Fat Jony Ives: *does a find . -mtime -1* Yesterday you edited this XML file, what did you do?

Devs: Oh, well we didn't do anything except totally change that file, how could that do it?

Fat Jony Ives: *rolls back file and it starts*

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Devs: Oh, well we didn't do anything except totally change that file, how could that do it?

The scariest emails I have ever received start with the phrase "So we were poking around..."

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Kazinsal posted:

I couldn't find a megathread for this, and gently caress it, this poo poo is pissing me off, so... any SpamAssassin gurus here?

Not a work thing, but gently caress spam. I've had this stuff coming into one of my email addresses from literally randomly registered domain names and various newly registered domain names (more often than not using the new gTLDs) for weeks now, and it's getting out of hand. One day I cleared it all out at 8am and had 15 new spam emails by noon.

The crazy thing is SpamAssassin is marking it all as low numbers (between 0.2 and 2.6/10) on the "how obviously spam is this" scale -- for those who've never used SpamAssassin, 5.0 is by default the "yep, it's likely spam" threshold and "it's not spam" can go into negative numbers. The auto-whitelist feature is disabled and the database is empty, because I've already had that issue. These messages simply aren't firing any "obvious spam" algorithms even though to humans who are at all computer-literate it's clearly not legitimate.

I've blacklisted one of the most commonly used TLDs, and here's SpamAssassin's rule flags for one of the blocked messages:

code:
  100 USER_IN_BLACKLIST      From: address is in the user's black-list
 -0.0 SPF_HELO_PASS          SPF: HELO matches SPF record
 -0.0 SPF_PASS               SPF: sender matches SPF record
  0.8 HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_02    BODY: HTML has a low ratio of text to image area
  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
  1.3 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS
This poo poo's arcane to me. I just do routers and switches and stuff.

My buddy's email server uses it, and I had to do a quick online lookup on how to use it back when I was on a campaign to end spam coming in to me. Basically I had to go in and adjust the various weighted values in order to get the desired result. Took me a few days, but it dramatically cut down on the spam that got through. Unfortunately you are fighting an uphill, never-ending battle as about every 2 weeks you need to update the values and add new keywords and phrases. It eventually got so overwhelming I just decided to switch to a gmail account for my primary email address. It's interesting, trying to see how much you need to weight a specific value, but if I had to do it every day I'd probably shoot myself.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Troubleshoot is one of those skills that impossible to teach, I have no idea how you develop it. Before I was in IT, I was a jet mechanic and worked on aircraft radios and instruments, and I had to troubleshoot problems all the time. You learn to see inside a problem and figure out the moving parts and how hey are malfunctioning. I think that really equipment me for a career in IT.

I think you can strengthen your troubleshooting skills. Before you can really fix something that's broken, you have to know what it looks like when it's working. That means having a general idea about how all the individual pieces work together.

That doesn't mean you have to know "this outlet puts out 120 volts at 15 amps, with a +/-2 volt variance over a thirty second window, which travels over this 12 gauge copper/aluminum alloy sheathed in recycled Chilean rubber into an Antec 900 watt 90% efficient green power supply...", it means you have to know "okay, power comes from the wall, through the UPS, to the power supply." From that basic understanding of the individual pieces and their roles, you can ask specific questions: "Is there a light on the back of the power supply, and is it on?" "Is the UPS beeping? How old is it?" "Does this outlet actually work?" "Are all the relevant cords securely plugged in?"

Once you have a strong grip on the fundamentals, you start to get a better idea of 1) what the most common failure points are and 2) what the easiest things to check are. Thinking systematically absolutely is a skill, and one you can work on.

So, teaching someone else how to do it means you start from how things work, not how they're currently broken. In the same way, if someone non-technical comes to me and says "implement this solutions for me", I usually step back and say "What are you trying to achieve? What's the end result you actually need?" A lot of times, people will arrive at a conclusion because they can only see one option, when there may be other, better ones. My job, at the end of the day, is to grease the wheels of my company. If someone hands me a stick of butter, sure, that will work, but it's certainly not the best option when I've got WD40 or Bill & Ted's Most Excellent Gear Grease in my back pocket.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Antioch posted:

The scariest emails I have ever received start with the phrase "So we were poking around..."

I am never happy to send that email. It always means more work for me.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
We're apparently no longer allowed to refer to users as "users". Current suggestions for replacing the term on my team are wide and varied.

Edit : this is within the office space on internal communications, not external client facing communications

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 31, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

We're apparently no longer allowed to refer to users as "users". Current suggestions for replacing the term on my team are wide and varied.

Oh we did that years ago. Had to stop referring to them as clients or users, had to start calling them "associates."

We also have a "Name Badge Culture" where everyone is strongly encouraged to wear a name badge with the company logo at all times. Helps people get to know each other, you see.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

stakeholders

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Edit : this is within the office space on internal communications, not external client facing communications

"Nuggets."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cunts

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

No, this is supposed to be a new name for them.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Resources :haw:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Troublemakers.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

J posted:

Time thieves

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I was quite partial to operators, but apparently the whole story is that a very sensitive person was copied on a mail in which they were referred to as a user. Drama ensued.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I was quite partial to operators, but apparently the whole story is that a very sensitive person was copied on a mail in which they were referred to as a user. Drama ensued.

I mean, while it may be a bad word to anyone who's been in IT more than let's say a week (OK, an hour), it's not a pejorative? IT provides computing resources. People who use those resources are users. What the hell is there to be offended by?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Users aren't users, they're operators.

The people who pay for your company's product / services aren't just customers, they're family. :barf:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
IT is a cost center and the rest of the departments are profit centers, therefore you need to bow to the wishes of the other non-IT groups even though the entire company would implode in on itself without you. I frequently have to be careful of my verbiage and refer to people I work with as "Associates" while its just fine to call me an "IT Dude."

Double standards. :rolleyes:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Potato Salad posted:

Users aren't users, they're operators.

The people who pay for your company's product / services aren't just customers, they're family. :barf:

Hey now, I actually agree with not blanket referring to people as users. I'm more lampooning the stupid, stupid process we're going through to select a new arc word to refer to our customers instead of just using person, a gender noun, or even their goddamn name.

All of our customers are external.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 1, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

J posted:

This, our just call them customers whether they're internal or not.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jeoh posted:

Troublemakers.
Insurgents

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Raerlynn posted:

Not true, used to work there. They have ilo management, it's just only for the techs.

Check the bits run by Savvis, I get to watch in amazement the hurdles someone has to jump through to get to their machines. NJ2 and CH4 being the primary data centres under target here.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I (briefly) worked for a company that called their employees "members".

Mmmmmmm, cult-y.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah we now have "internal customers", I'm like, you mean coworkers?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah we now have "internal customers", I'm like, you mean coworkers?

It's like you read my mind!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Hey now, I actually agree with not blanket referring to people as users. I'm more lampooning the stupid, stupid process we're going through to select a new arc word to refer to our customers instead of just using person, a gender noun, or even their goddamn name.

All of our customers are external.

Revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

GOOCHY posted:

I (briefly) worked for a company that called their employees "members".

Mmmmmmm, cult-y.

Credit Union? All our customers are members, and since all the staff have accounts that makes us all members too, so we have Member Service.

The 12 year old in me giggles at 'Servicing the Members' every time.