Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fire in the Lake :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Dixit, Hanabi and Love Letter/Lost Legacy are pretty solid choices. Ladies and Gentlemen might be something to consider.

Alright, thanks! I'll give it another hour and send in the list of games. If nobody says that Thurn & Taxis actually sucks for reasons A, B and C I'll suggest that too as a bit of a heavier game if they're so inclined.

StashAugustine posted:

Fire in the Lake :getin:

Hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but people die in war. :(

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

To be more precise, he's looking for games for couples. Not just couples by themselves, but couples with other couples

I end up playing a lot in this kind of situation. Hanabi and Love Letter are indeed good to have around; you just have to mentally prepare yourself to ignore a lot of cheating when a non-gamer plays Hanabi. Another good "very light" pick is Dixit (it's better with 3+ couples than 2).

If people are up for a slightly heavier game, Ticket to Ride works well. Or Paperback. 8 Minute Empires if there's a player intent on having a map.

The "heaviest" games I'd try would be something like 7 Wonders or Castles of Burgundy - but in general, games tend to go a lot slower in this sort of scenario so you want to aim really low on time.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mehuyael posted:

Alright, thanks! I'll give it another hour and send in the list of games. If nobody says that Thurn & Taxis actually sucks for reasons A, B and C I'll suggest that too as a bit of a heavier game if they're so inclined.

7 Wonders, Roll for the Galaxy, and Argent: the Consortium would be my suggestions. I'd hold off on Argent for later, but 7 Wonders and Roll for the Galaxy are great starters.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Dixit, Hanabi and Love Letter/Lost Legacy are pretty solid choices. Ladies and Gentlemen might be something to consider.

Ladies and Gentlemen is a good gateway, and good for couples, but its pretty bad with 4. Really needs at least 6 to be interesting.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So what's wrong with Hearthstone (especially compared to MtG). One of the reasons I like it is because I'm really confident Blizzard will be in business in five years, not so much with unknown startups.

Also while the IPad has historically been the platform of choice for board game conversions, Android tablets are making some inroads, specifically because Google only takes a 10% cut vs Apple's 30% cut. I could do a lot of things with $500, that doesn't mean I can't also buy an IPad with it.

I love my tablet, which is an IPad but I play fewer and fewer board games on it, and my next tablet is going to be an Android one.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
A lot of the Hearthstone hate is an overreaction to its use of RNG mechanics. The game is solid enough to have very high levels of competitive play, and degenerate strategies have been addressed by the dev team as they release patches.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jmzero posted:

I end up playing a lot in this kind of situation. Hanabi and Love Letter are indeed good to have around; you just have to mentally prepare yourself to ignore a lot of cheating when a non-gamer plays Hanabi. Another good "very light" pick is Dixit (it's better with 3+ couples than 2).

If people are up for a slightly heavier game, Ticket to Ride works well. Or Paperback. 8 Minute Empires if there's a player intent on having a map.

The "heaviest" games I'd try would be something like 7 Wonders or Castles of Burgundy - but in general, games tend to go a lot slower in this sort of scenario so you want to aim really low on time.

I love 7 wonders! Why didn't I think of that? I'll add it as a maybe if they're up to studying the game's effect icons and such.

Dirk the Average posted:

7 Wonders, Roll for the Galaxy, and Argent: the Consortium would be my suggestions. I'd hold off on Argent for later, but 7 Wonders and Roll for the Galaxy are great starters.

I don't know if he'll ever get to the level of buying Argent. I'll add RotG as a maybe in case he's up for a dicefest!

burger time posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen is a good gateway, and good for couples, but its pretty bad with 4. Really needs at least 6 to be interesting.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

^^^^ Tash-Kalar is a really good 2v2 game. It's really easy to learn and quick to play, while still being amazingly deep.

Impermanent posted:

A lot of the Hearthstone hate is an overreaction to its use of RNG mechanics. The game is solid enough to have very high levels of competitive play, and degenerate strategies have been addressed by the dev team as they release patches.

I'm not sure you should call it overreaction, the RNG on some Hearthstone cards can be gamebreaking. Does that creature that draws you an extra card 50% of the time still exist? That is the most egregious one I remember.

I don't hate Hearthstone or anything but I think Magic is much better game. My main problem with Hearthstone is that a lot of the time there are no significant decisions to make. Games feel scripted, the optimal play is often extremely obvious and the next best play is not even close. I think a lot of it has to do with the absence of lands, which makes the game flow too predictable.

Disclaimer: I haven't played Hearthstone in almost a year, but I doubt it has changed that much.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I do like comparing 4 player High Form in Tash Kalar to bridge.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I could show him Tash-Kalar when I show him Lagoon, see if he'll think they'll like it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sonatinas posted:

I do like comparing 4 player High Form in Tash Kalar to bridge.

Especially with the "Why did you signal THAT, I thought we were building the dragon over here, not the leviathan over there!" yeah it does sound kinda similar to "Why did you bid 2S, that's 4th suit forcing but you obviously don't have 12 points"

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Ojetor posted:

^^^^ Tash-Kalar is a really good 2v2 game. It's really easy to learn and quick to play, while still being amazingly deep.

I'm not sure you should call it overreaction, the RNG on some Hearthstone cards can be gamebreaking. Does that creature that draws you an extra card 50% of the time still exist? That is the most egregious one I remember.

I don't hate Hearthstone or anything but I think Magic is much better game. My main problem with Hearthstone is that a lot of the time there are no significant decisions to make. Games feel scripted, the optimal play is often extremely obvious and the next best play is not even close. I think a lot of it has to do with the absence of lands, which makes the game flow too predictable.

Disclaimer: I haven't played Hearthstone in almost a year, but I doubt it has changed that much.

They nerfed that card (Nat Pagle) into oblivion. There are still a few RNG-dependent cards, but the overall design philosophy has shifted from RNG being used to create effects on cards that can win a game, and more that can shift the battlefield in interesting ways.

You should watch some high level Hearthstone play - the past couple of expansions have really been good to the game.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

So what's wrong with Hearthstone (especially compared to MtG). One of the reasons I like it is because I'm really confident Blizzard will be in business in five years, not so much with unknown startups.

I don't think there's enough design space for Hearthstone to work well over the long term; at the core, it's the same problem Sentinels of the Multiverse has. There's only so many layers of +1s and -1s you can sensibly add to a game. The places you go next are usually terrible: random crap, and trying to construct mechanics out of types and keywords ("Outlaws" get +1 defense for each "Cover" card in play). Neither of those leads to good places in terms of gameplay.

Even MtG has had problems with this, but it started out with much more to work with - instant effects and the accompanying resolution rules, direct interactions with modifier cards, a richer setup for resources, and a richer more expansible setup for "deck type" differentiation (through colors).

Anyway, Hearthstone works, but it's really just a very polished mediocre game.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mehuyael posted:

I love 7 wonders! Why didn't I think of that? I'll add it as a maybe if they're up to studying the game's effect icons and such.

I don't know if he'll ever get to the level of buying Argent. I'll add RotG as a maybe in case he's up for a dicefest!

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Istanbul is very good with 4 and takes about an hour. I really like Red7 and No Thanks as filler.

Maybe Carcassonne or an intro worker placement like Stone Age or Waterdeep?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the help! I didn't put everything though, I didn't want to swamp him with options.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mehuyael posted:

Thanks for all the help! I didn't put everything though, I didn't want to swamp him with options.

AP is real, bro.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lorini posted:

Also while the IPad has historically been the platform of choice for board game conversions, Android tablets are making some inroads, specifically because Google only takes a 10% cut vs Apple's 30% cut. I could do a lot of things with $500, that doesn't mean I can't also buy an IPad with it.

I guarantee in the next few years we are going to be seeing more html 5/js libraries that allow games on both devices. It sucks losing a large percentage of your audience even if you do like the features when programming natively.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I guarantee in the next few years we are going to be seeing more html 5/js libraries that allow games on both devices. It sucks losing a large percentage of your audience even if you do like the features when programming natively.

It's my understanding that one of the main reasons many devs don't bother with Android is just because piracy is so insanely high on the device a lot of people think it's not worth it. It's bad on iOS too, but nowhere near the levels of Android.

Whether Android piracy fears are reasonable, rational, or good business sense is another debate entirely, but this is a pretty common sentiment among app developers.

Additionally, the huge number of Android devices means infinitely more bug/compatibility testing, often to the point of being prohibitive, especially for complex apps like games.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/05/monument-valley-developer-only-5-of-android-installs-were-paid-for/

http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/11/this-is-what-developing-for-android-looks-like/

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

there is someone on reddit or bgg somewhere who has been hinting about playtesting an Android:Netrunner app. I'm REALLY EXCITED about that potentially existing some day

A LotR app would also be awesome

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I would definitely play the hell out of 40k Conquest if it was as portable app

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The problem with MtG for me are:

I'm basically too old to hang out with the Friday night crowd and so are my male friends (parents tend to freak out with senior men around)
I hate hate hate the storage of a zillion cards I'll never use
-Creating decks with physical cards is just an awful experience compared to Hearthstone's online client.
The online client is HORRIBLE and Hasborg has not indicated that it will ever get better.

Is it a more complex game? Yes but the price is too high for me. And that's the other thing, you can play Hearthstone with a lot less investment than Magic.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Today's bonus card:

Also, Temporum's getting a reprint soon complete with bigger arrows, and apparently they'll also be available to people who already own the first edition, though no further details on that yet .

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Today's bonus card:

Also, Temporum's getting a reprint soon complete with bigger arrows, and apparently they'll also be available to people who already own the first edition, though no further details on that yet .

holy poo poo that card

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Is it a more complex game? Yes but the price is too high for me. And that's the other thing, you can play Hearthstone with a lot less investment than Magic.

It's not really a direct game design problem - but I'd agree the moons really have to align before playing Magic is actually a practically good experience.

For a couple years, we had a group at work that would buy a box of each new set to draft and play at lunch - and it was some of the best gaming ever (we still talk about the Modern Masters draft). But that relied on having 8 people who wanted to play that format, all of whom were of reasonably close skill level, all of whom were consistently available. It also required one guy who played outside the group who would subsidize the purchase (because he wanted the cards at the end), and it required good Magic sets for drafting (most are fine, but there's some stinkers).

We lost, like, 2 of those guys and now I'm back to never playing Magic. It really is a solid game, but the easy/likely ways to play it - wandering into a store, going to a tournament, playing some multiplayer hell-game, playing online, pulling out a deck to play with a stranger - all have some real serious drawbacks. For similar reasons, I've never been able to give Netrunner (or BattleCON or the LoTR LCG) a fair shake (despite buying them); you need the right player scenario for them to really work.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Not a huge fan of this (or the whole chaining thing). In a game that almost always ends in 20 turns or less, a lot of the reveals so far have felt too slow and durdly to make an impact.

Guide is one of the fastest cycling cards I've ever seen for $3? Every time you use it you basically skip a turn of the game, so there's your problem solved.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I really, really hate that comma after "call this" in the Reserve templating. :spergin:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jmzero posted:

It's not really a direct game design problem - but I'd agree the moons really have to align before playing Magic is actually a practically good experience.

For a couple years, we had a group at work that would buy a box of each new set to draft and play at lunch - and it was some of the best gaming ever (we still talk about the Modern Masters draft). But that relied on having 8 people who wanted to play that format, all of whom were of reasonably close skill level, all of whom were consistently available. It also required one guy who played outside the group who would subsidize the purchase (because he wanted the cards at the end), and it required good Magic sets for drafting (most are fine, but there's some stinkers).

We lost, like, 2 of those guys and now I'm back to never playing Magic. It really is a solid game, but the easy/likely ways to play it - wandering into a store, going to a tournament, playing some multiplayer hell-game, playing online, pulling out a deck to play with a stranger - all have some real serious drawbacks. For similar reasons, I've never been able to give Netrunner (or BattleCON or the LoTR LCG) a fair shake (despite buying them); you need the right player scenario for them to really work.

I built a drafting cube for Innistrad cycle and Rise of the Eldrazi. It was something like 1 of each rare, 2 of each uncommon, and 4 of each common, and then I'd build boosters with 1 rare, 3 uncommons, and 11 commons or whatever it is, randomly. Then we would do various booster draft formats or sealed. Also made a traditional cube out of proxies.

Anyways, it felt like the grownup way to play Magic while still getting into all of that limited strategy goodness. But my coworkers who played it moved on and it's not fun enough to take the time to draft with my wife or other 2p friends so I play different games now.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poopy Palpy posted:

Adventures is "only" 30 kingdom cards. The 400 cards need to leave room for the travelers not in the supply, the extra cards in the 2 12 card stacks, randomizers, and whatever the mysterious Event Cards are.

Spoiler: Each Event is a different card that resolves when purchased and does not go into your deck. The 20 Events refer to 20 different cards, all of which are potential Kingdom cards, but only 1 copy of each need to exist for them to be in a game.

Re: Hearthstone

I haven't played it in about a year, either, but I really hate the card economy in HS. Magic got away with "draw 1 card per turn" because it was 1995 and it wasn't that much of a pain in the rear end to find cards with draw power. In 2015, I don't give a poo poo if the deck is only 30 cards, drawing 1 per turn and the insane rarity of draw abilities (all of which max out at +1 card) contribute heavily to why Pagle was mandatory. lovely card economy also results in a much more topdeck-heavy game, as it's trivial to draw entirely unplayable hands during the first few turns. Call me spoiled by Dominion (hey, this is happening again!) where I get to regularly cycle through my deck to the point where topdecking is only frustrating when dealing with a single card (Saboteur).

Also the grind sucks, it's absolutely pay-to-win, the interface was awful (no confirms and no undo made playing it a nightmare on a touch-enabled laptop), and it really is just a mediocre version of Magic in Warcraft clothes. In fact, the only reason why it has any legitimacy at all is because Blizzard made it-- it would be likely overlooked for the random bore it is if a company with a less fanatical fanbase made it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

there is someone on reddit or bgg somewhere who has been hinting about playtesting an Android:Netrunner app. I'm REALLY EXCITED about that potentially existing some day

A LotR app would also be awesome

Speaking of which, how is the LotR LCG? I've been close to pulling the trigger on Netrunner lately but my wife would really prefer LotR if the differences are mostly cosmetic.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Sokrateez posted:

Speaking of which, how is the LotR LCG? I've been close to pulling the trigger on Netrunner lately but my wife would really prefer LotR if the differences are mostly cosmetic.

They are completely different games in every way, with the most notable difference being that LotR is a 1-4 player co-op game and Netrunner is a 1v1 competitive game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well I don't know what to say, as I need to play online. MtG online, even if I can get past the ugly UI, is simply too expensive. It will cost $25 for a single Sealed event that will probably last me less than two hours. drat $25 would last longer at a dollar crap table. Maybe I'll try playdominion.com again.....I do own all the cards there but it's so slow.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lorini posted:

Well I don't know what to say, as I need to play online. MtG online, even if I can get past the ugly UI, is simply too expensive. It will cost $25 for a single Sealed event that will probably last me less than two hours. drat $25 would last longer at a dollar crap table. Maybe I'll try playdominion.com again.....I do own all the cards there but it's so slow.

Nothing to say, Hearthstone fills a niche, cheap online tcg, that MTG does not.

Making MTGO cheap requires paying very close attention to format rotation and constantly trading out for block constructed decks, its not worth it, and is only going to get more difficult to do.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The essential difference between Magic and Hearthstone is that Magic is a good game with a draconian business model while Hearthstone is a bad game but free to play.

Both are best avoided.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jmzero posted:

You think that's bad try getting a game of Mage Wars going :smithicide:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Lorini posted:

If you really want to play MTG online but don't want to pay, there are a bunch of free clients like Apprentice, Cockatrice, OCTGN, etc. Bit more effort required to set them up and get the cards, but when done you have access to everything and can build whatever decks you want.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
The problem with Hearthstone is that isn't not the WoW TCG. :colbert:

(because it's gone, and it still hurts me)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zark the Damned posted:

If you really want to play MTG online but don't want to pay, there are a bunch of free clients like Apprentice, Cockatrice, OCTGN, etc. Bit more effort required to set them up and get the cards, but when done you have access to everything and can build whatever decks you want.

There is also MtG: Forge for playing against bots and hotseat. It is basically the best Magic single player experience that can exist, every card, every variant, up to 20 bots at once, drafting mode, random deck generators, auto downloads all the card art, quest mode that simulates Microprose Shandalar game, etc:
http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Played my first game of Elysium tonight. It's very tight, failure to plan alternate strategies will pain you greatly, but you can make clever combos to alleviate that. I recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Sokrateez posted:

Really different games. LotR LCG is a co-op deck construction game where you play against different scenarios. Netrunner is a dueling game with asymmetric sides that has some bluffing and deception in it.

I really like both! My wife likes LotR LCG. It's a nice balance for us because it's a co-op so we can play it if we don't feel like being competitive, but it has enough depth for me to sperg out on deck construction and the Nightmare versions of scenarios are super hard.