Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jmzero posted:

Kraken wouldn't have actually been in the stack - he just goes on the board and eats things near the river.

I like Kemet, but I'm not sure whether I'm going to grab the expansion yet. There's tons of things I like about it, and it worked really good to start.. but now that we all play basically competently, the dudes-on-a-map-direct-conflict kingmaking problems seem to be coming back. We've had a run of somewhat unsatisfying games that were decided by "catchup-by-politics" in round n-1 followed by "final winner picked by the guy in 3rd".

Yeah, I'm seeing a little of this, too. The last turn is a little awkward in a few ways. There is the catchup collusion thing. There is an element of the winner being whoever had the opportunity to exploit someone for the last vp; being in the right place at the right time rather than tactics. The turn order being decided by someone who might not even have a shot at winning in the final turn has some serious king making potential. The tie win conditions also don't feel that great. The end game feels a bit more like a puzzle game and less strategic than early turns.

I wonder how the game would play if it had some different victory conditions. Like maybe most vp after a set number of turns rather than a race to 8/10 vp. Or maybe it could have badminton style scoring where the winner needs to win by 2, although I could see that turning into this big stalemate

I still think it's a pretty great game but I wonder how it would fair after a group developed really mature strategies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Also, you guys who have exhausted all of that online Dominion and want more should try some free matches against the puzzlestrike bots at fantasystrike.com.

Not the same as playing on iso against other people (not even close) but it scratches a similar itch for me right now since I'm having fun learning the different characters. The way that the characters start with carefully selected chips in their deck reminds me of playing Dominion with hand-crafted kingdom setups that are meant to be balanced. More of a focus on fine tuning the optimal play in a particular sexy kingdom than picking the best buys in a random kingdom.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Also, you guys who have exhausted all of that online Dominion and want more should try some free matches against the puzzlestrike bots at fantasystrike.com.

Not the same as playing on iso against other people (not even close) but it scratches a similar itch for me right now since I'm having fun learning the different characters. The way that the characters start with carefully selected chips in their deck reminds me of playing Dominion with hand-crafted kingdom setups that are meant to be balanced. More of a focus on fine tuning the optimal play in a particular sexy kingdom than picking the best buys in a random kingdom.

If someone could find me a well-put-together multiplayer online board game of at least Isotropic level of functionality, I'd pay good money for it, even if the game itself was mediocre.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

As I understand it you can't copyright the rules of a game. Couldn't they just rename isotropic Dominion to Fauxminion, rename the cards and re-release it?

From what I understand, the iso people were friends with Donald, so potentially yes, but practically no.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

If someone could find me a well-put-together multiplayer online board game of at least Isotropic level of functionality, I'd pay good money for it, even if the game itself was mediocre.

Magic Online is always more than willing to take as much of your money as you will give them:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/download

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Magic Online is always more than willing to take as much of your money as you will give them:

Toshimo is a frequent poster in the MtG threads, I guarantee you he's aware of MTGO. Unfortunately, he specified that it has to be a good program.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

The pay model for this is pretty gross since its basically one step removed from online gambling. If there was some magic subscription where I could play unlimited drafts from different past limited formats or cubes I would be into that, but the winning packs thing just makes me get hyper competitive and unclean feeling

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks to whoever posted Dominion.NET. I just had a game with Kings Court and Soothsayer. It didn't end well for the bot.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I would have absolutely zero issue dropping literally $1000 today into Magic Online if it weren't perennially one of the worst pieces of software I've ever endured. And it's not getting better any time soon as Hasbro corporate has made it abundantly clear they have no interest whatsoever in paying a fair market wage for developers in a high-demand locale.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rutibex posted:

If you want something similar you can play Dominion.Net. It's bot based and has no multi-player but the interface is super fast, so you blast out games quite quickly. The AI isn't bad, it can usually do a little better than Big Money, but obviously it's not the smartest. Dominion is pretty much a single player game anyway :v:

Just check out dat minimalism! :fap:
http://dominion.technowall.net/

I really love that they're using the first draft GIS stuff that DXV used on the cards when prototyping.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I wonder who has the rights for RftG. BGA?

Goko has them in some form but I don't think anyone knows exactly what that entails. The BGA implementation predates this I think? I'm not even sure how their agreement with companies works either.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
If you liked Dominion and/or Isotropic (and/or Power GridSmug Engineer Knob-Twisting Challenge) then I recommend Prismata even though it's not a boardgame. It's very NERDGASM and not for everyone but you should check it out because the interface is really fast and slick (though it makes my fan whir a bit, the game runs smoothly and the devs say they'll do optimizations after they roll out some new UI they've been coding). I have keys.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, I'm seeing a little of this, too. The last turn is a little awkward in a few ways. There is the catchup collusion thing. There is an element of the winner being whoever had the opportunity to exploit someone for the last vp; being in the right place at the right time rather than tactics. The turn order being decided by someone who might not even have a shot at winning in the final turn has some serious king making potential. The tie win conditions also don't feel that great. The end game feels a bit more like a puzzle game and less strategic than early turns.

I wonder how the game would play if it had some different victory conditions. Like maybe most vp after a set number of turns rather than a race to 8/10 vp. Or maybe it could have badminton style scoring where the winner needs to win by 2, although I could see that turning into this big stalemate

I still think it's a pretty great game but I wonder how it would fair after a group developed really mature strategies

A potential fix I saw in the PBP here that I tried a couple weeks ago, was that instead of last place player determining turn order, instead each player selects their position in the turn order, starting from the last place. So, the last place player can still take the most optimal position if they want, but it does allow other people to have a little agency.

It worked pretty well. It doesn't entirely fix the "problem" of the player in last on the second-to-final turn being a clear favorite to win, but it does help reduce the straight kingmaking.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Try Heartstone. Slick UI, fast games, and unlike Magic Online you can (with a LOT of time and skill) get the cards for free. Also simpler than magic, but still tournament capable.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Toshimo posted:

I would have absolutely zero issue dropping literally $1000 today into Magic Online if it weren't perennially one of the worst pieces of software I've ever endured. And it's not getting better any time soon as Hasbro corporate has made it abundantly clear they have no interest whatsoever in paying a fair market wage for developers in a high-demand locale.

Yep this is why I play Heartstone.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Hearthstone is a pretty bad game though.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Toshimo posted:

How can anyone, these days, who enjoys the idea of board games online, not own an iPad.

There are many games of that quality or far superior. If you're a board gamer, the iPad pays for itself pretty quickly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rutibex posted:

If you want something similar you can play Dominion.Net. It's bot based and has no multi-player but the interface is super fast, so you blast out games quite quickly. The AI isn't bad, it can usually do a little better than Big Money, but obviously it's not the smartest. Dominion is pretty much a single player game anyway :v:

Just check out dat minimalism! :fap:
http://dominion.technowall.net/

Who's dumb enough to buy Thief on that board? Also it's funny because that board seems designed to make Scout semi-useful (yet no one's going after the Duke strategy).

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Mega64 posted:

Who's dumb enough to buy Thief on that board? Also it's funny because that board seems designed to make Scout semi-useful (yet no one's going after the Duke strategy).

'Bob draws 2 cards. Bob reveals Silver, Copper. Bob trashes Copper. Charlie gains Copper'

Top-tier AI right there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Funso Banjo posted:

How can anyone, these days, who enjoys the idea of board games online, not own an iPad.

Because they don't have $500+ to spend on a tablet but can occasionally spring $40 for a board game?

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006

Zveroboy posted:

I realised that my earlier request for ideas for a Tabletop Day game suitable for 4 players, lots of theme, no dice, direct player interaction (military or economic) and currently available is pretty much fulfilled by Kemet. Archipelago was at the top of my shortlist , but after some searching today I think it's out of print.

I had thought that about Archipelago after seeing the prices on Amazon etc, but someone else on the thread suggested picking it up direct from Ludically.
Delivery was free but wasn't fast - I think it took about 10 days from order to delivery, but it was a much more reasonable price than the £90 Amazon is currently charging.

Only managed to get the game on the table twice so far, but the group is really liking it. Still having to refer to the rules for some things but it's a great looking, complex semi-co-op.
Just need to find somewhere that's selling the Solo Expansion for a reasonable price.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Xom posted:

If you liked Dominion and/or Isotropic (and/or Power GridSmug Engineer Knob-Twisting Challenge) then I recommend Prismata even though it's not a boardgame. It's very NERDGASM and not for everyone but you should check it out because the interface is really fast and slick (though it makes my fan whir a bit, the game runs smoothly and the devs say they'll do optimizations after they roll out some new UI they've been coding). I have keys.

This is like if you took Dominion, gave 2P a gigantic stupid advantage, and completely hosed up the concept of random Kingdoms. What a grueling and unenjoyable experience.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's not that I mind Dominionchat, but maybe there's material for an entire Dominion thread? It sounds like y'all have lots of ideas on how to construct kingdoms and strategies and stuff, and I have a feeling that you could say way more words on the topic in a dedicated thread. Of course Dominion is welcome here, but I sometimes get slightly bored with all the specific strategies and presumed knowledge of every card of a game I don't like.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

This is like if you took Dominion, gave 2P a gigantic stupid advantage, and completely hosed up the concept of random Kingdoms. What a grueling and unenjoyable experience.

I don't know, it looks like it might have some legs. The concept of a deck builder where you always have your entire deck in your hand is kind of cool. I do enjoy the fact that he mentions Magic, Starcraft, and Hearthstone constantly in his videos but never Dominion once. He is clearly ripping off Dominion the most; maybe he wants the game to seem more original? :v:

Fighting until player death instead of to when the piles run out seems like it might make the game take longer and turn into a slog, but that's just speculation I haven't tried it :shrug:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 31, 2015

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

BonHair posted:

It's not that I mind Dominionchat, but maybe there's material for an entire Dominion thread? It sounds like y'all have lots of ideas on how to construct kingdoms and strategies and stuff, and I have a feeling that you could say way more words on the topic in a dedicated thread. Of course Dominion is welcome here, but I sometimes get slightly bored with all the specific strategies and presumed knowledge of every card of a game I don't like.

The thread would be inactive most of the time, after seven years there's just not enough to say that hasn't been said a thousand times. Dominionchat is only happening now because it's the first spoiler season we've had in two years. Otherwise, it pretty much only happens otherwise when someone pipes up that Dominion isn't a real game because it doesn't have spaceships on the box and therefore A Few Acres of Snow is superior.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
There was a Dominion thread, it died around the same time Isotropic did

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Xom posted:

I'll take a key. I have to see what "The best parts of StarCraft and Hearthstone" amounts to.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

Because they don't have $500+ to spend on a tablet but can occasionally spring $40 for a board game?

Hell, my friends buy so many games I don't even have to spend $40 ever.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

djfooboo posted:

Why even pay $40 when you can pay $5 for some trinkets from the dollar store and a few colour photocopies? $500 ipad? pfft I could make over 100 games for that price!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

djfooboo posted:

The one guy from my board game group has bought so many games that he has on more than one occasion sold a sealed game with a sealed expansion to make room for more new games :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Funso Banjo posted:

There are many games of that quality or far superior. If you're a board gamer, the iPad pays for itself pretty quickly.

Uhhh...

• I don't like Apple's interface.
  • I already own an "Android" tablet.
  • I don't like playing games on a touchscreen.
  • It's not conducive to multitasking.
  • It's yet another thing I'd have to carry around, since I usually have my laptop anywhere I'd already be interested in playing.

I mean, if you like the iPad experience, good on ya. That doesn't make it a catch-all solution for everyone.

Bubble-T posted:

Hearthstone is a pretty bad game though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Not a huge fan of this (or the whole chaining thing). In a game that almost always ends in 20 turns or less, a lot of the reveals so far have felt too slow and durdly to make an impact.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 31, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Toshimo posted:

Not a huge fan of this (or the whole chaining thing). In a game that almost always ends in 20 turns or less, a lot of the reveals so far have felt too slow and durdly to make an impact.

Just a thought here, but what if the set is designed to be used by itself? If it's self contained it could run longer.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Toshimo posted:

I don't know, I think I can get behind a lot of these. If Guide were a Duration that could only use its mulligan effect next turn (but gave you the option to not mulligan), it already wouldn't be terrible at 3; being Reserve instead just guarantees that you'll actually get use the mulligan. And Coin of the Realm would make big draw Village/Smithy type decks absurdly consistent. Even Duplicate can be used the turn you play it, so it doesn't need to be slow (although you'll have an easier time reaching $5 or $6 the following turn).

I'm less sold on the level-up card chains if the board doesn't have crazy trashing/cycling power, but we have almost no idea what they actually do, and at worst they're only two underwhelming kingdom cards out of 40.

Jedit posted:

Just a thought here, but what if the set is designed to be used by itself? If it's self contained it could run longer.

Vanilla Big Money puts a ~14 turn clock on the game, unless the set is full of brutal attacks having a bunch of durdly actions still won't make the game take much longer.

Besides, what's the point of a Dominion set that isn't supposed to be combined with other Dominion sets? Why not just design a separate, standalone game? (I know Ascension does this all the time, but Ascension is garbage.)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm less sold on the level-up card chains if the board doesn't have crazy trashing/cycling power, but we have almost no idea what they actually do, and at worst they're only two underwhelming kingdom cards out of 40.

Adventures is "only" 30 kingdom cards. The 400 cards need to leave room for the travelers not in the supply, the extra cards in the 2 12 card stacks, randomizers, and whatever the mysterious Event Cards are.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Poopy Palpy posted:

Adventures is "only" 30 kingdom cards. The 400 cards need to leave room for the travelers not in the supply, the extra cards in the 2 12 card stacks, randomizers, and whatever the mysterious Event Cards are.

Oops, you're right, I misremembered the 400 from the announcement at a 40. Still not bad overall, and if Guide is any indication this set won't be devoid of good cyclers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I really like the look of reserve cards. Being able to mulligan a hand on demand is very nice.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hey fellow boardgame goons, I need advice... Again.

This time it's for a friend who's had fun with Munchkin until recently, but is looking for something that isn't just fun because you're new to boardgames.

To be more precise, he's looking for games for couples. Not just couples by themselves, but couples with other couples. So something 2-4. He's fine with games up to the 3 hour mark (seems he's played 3-hour Munchkin at times... Poor fellow, even if he doesn't know it), though closer to 1:30 tops would probably go over better.

He's looking for something not very hack&slashy/fantasy. Competition is okay, people "dying" not so much.

I'm already thinking of suggesting Hanabi, Love Letter, Tokaido, and maybe Lagoon: LoD if he likes it enough to compensate for its technical fantasytude.

I didn't really like Ticket to Ride so while it's recommended I'm not sure I want to suggest it... How about Thurn & Taxis? I liked it a lot, am I in the minority in this case?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Toshimo posted:

Uhhh...

• I don't like Apple's interface.
  • I already own an "Android" tablet.
  • I don't like playing games on a touchscreen.
  • It's not conducive to multitasking.
  • It's yet another thing I'd have to carry around, since I usually have my laptop anywhere I'd already be interested in playing.

I mean, if you like the iPad experience, good on ya. That doesn't make it a catch-all solution for everyone.

You're missing his point. If your goal is to play boardgames on an electronic device, then ipad is hands-down your best option because that's what developers are apparently targeting as primary development platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mehuyael posted:

Hey fellow boardgame goons, I need advice... Again.

This time it's for a friend who's had fun with Munchkin until recently, but is looking for something that isn't just fun because you're new to boardgames.

To be more precise, he's looking for games for couples. Not just couples by themselves, but couples with other couples. So something 2-4. He's fine with games up to the 3 hour mark (seems he's played 3-hour Munchkin at times... Poor fellow, even if he doesn't know it), though closer to 1:30 tops would probably go over better.

Dixit, Hanabi and Love Letter/Lost Legacy are pretty solid choices. Ladies and Gentlemen might be something to consider.