Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I sort of miss the "the owner went back to being an irredeemable rear end in a top hat and the bar went under two months later" epilogues from early on. I get that it's because they have a brand to protect now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Unless the bar completely tanked afterwards because they reverted all the change, they definitely try to swing the bias towards Taffer being a miracle worker. Even for the bar that closed before the episode even aired.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CVagts posted:

Unless the bar completely tanked afterwards because they reverted all the change, they definitely try to swing the bias towards Taffer being a miracle worker. Even for the bar that closed before the episode even aired.

The vast majority of restaurant/bar savings usually fail because the owners quickly abandon all the practices they learn and start cutting costs again and skimping on the essentials. Most of the places featured on Kitchen Nightmares end up failing anyways, and for a lot of them it turns out that they quickly returned to the way things were before Ramsay shows up. Of the ones that do succeed its usually because they followed through and kept at it working their asses off to maintain a high standard.

One of the biggest successes on the US version was Olde Stone Mill, and Gordon basically went to them and said "I've looked all over the area, and you're competing with over a dozen similar places. But you know what there isn't any of in a huge radius? Steakhouses. You make this place a steakhouse and you've got a monopoly." And while the owner cried and bitched about how it would turn off all their "regulars" it ended up turning the place into a huge money maker.

I just can't imagine a bar being run so poorly that cans were sitting in a pool or stagnant water and mold was growing on them. I expected them to find some horrific black mold in the place that would've been an actual biohazard.

That cooking on a hot stone thing was amazing though, and I would love to try something like it. It seems like it'd be a huge problem though if people don't cook it long enough and eat undercooked food and then sue the bar.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 9, 2015

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pentyne posted:

That cooking on a hot stone thing was amazing though, and I would love to try something like it. It seems like it'd be a huge problem though if people don't cook it long enough and eat undercooked food and then sue the bar.

I had that same question. Seems like a danger for customers burning themselves also. Still seems cool as hell.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just finished going through all of season 3 and I'm in season 4 now. The thing that gets to me on this show is the "experts". 9 times out of 10 their "expert" advice always boils down to "smile when you shake the drink" and "don't overpour". Then they make up some usually terrible sounding drinks with the worst sounding flavors of smirnoff, name it some variation of "The (zipcode)", "(some thing incorporating the bartender's name)", or "(something with the word local in it)". Taffer seems to be getting lazy with his new concept ideas too. Lately it just seems to be "pick a random gimmick and hope it sticks". The worst one to me was the bacon bar one - seriously, who wants a piece of bacon in their drink?

But the main thing that gets to me is how abnormal every bar in the show is compared to bars I've actually been to. Even in the sports bars, everyone on the show is always ordering named cocktails (or if it's beer, it's guiness and you know they are going to bring in the Irish guy to tell them how to do the ~perfect pour~). Most bars I've been to, unless they specifically describe themselves as a "cocktail bar", everyone is drinking beer or liquor+soda.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Murphy Brownback posted:

The worst one to me was the bacon bar one - seriously, who wants a piece of bacon in their drink?

Worse than the steampunk bar?

His entire strategy (since the show completely got rid of the bar science angle) is to turn every place into a more expensive TGIFridays with some local gimmick theme thrown in.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Murphy Brownback posted:

But the main thing that gets to me is how abnormal every bar in the show is compared to bars I've actually been to. Even in the sports bars, everyone on the show is always ordering named cocktails (or if it's beer, it's guiness and you know they are going to bring in the Irish guy to tell them how to do the ~perfect pour~). Most bars I've been to, unless they specifically describe themselves as a "cocktail bar", everyone is drinking beer or liquor+soda.

I always think the same thing, like who is going to give an actual poo poo about your crappy bar's "signature drink"? Of course the actual answer is "nobody of course, the producers tell people to order that poo poo for the cameras and they only even make them for the liquor product placement and to give the Bartending Expert of the Week some TV time."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

pentyne posted:

Eh, I don't like the "hot rock" gimmick. I understand why bars+restaurants love it, though- they get to save a little bit of labor costs by having customers cook their own food.

But I think as far as undercooked food goes, hot rock dishes are typically red meat and/or seafood, not so much poultry or pork, so there's not a big chance of getting actual food poisoning as long as it's good quality meat and not kept around too long before being served.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
A random season one episode (the Abbey pub) came on at about 3 AM on Sunday night, and it was so jarring to see now. Much more science and much less drama.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

The hot rock made no sense to me. It seems like a huge liability and how long do they have to bake the rock before it's hot enough?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

The hot rock made no sense to me. It seems like a huge liability and how long do they have to bake the rock before it's hot enough?

About 40 minutes at 550 degrees or so. I agree, it does seem like a liability though. Not necessarily for the raw food, but for the potential for someone (particularly someone who's been drinking,) to burn themselves.

The ice spheres made out of different juices is a neat idea, and arguably a strong enough one to draw attention.

When it comes to the signature drinks, I think it depends on the area. This was a more trendy area in Miami, so they'll be more drawn to that sort of thing, rather than just going to the bar and loading up on beer. Or even trying one signature drink and then getting the usual stuff. Anything for those extra dollars.

For example, they did Characters Quarters/Moonrunners Saloon right near me, and the typical crowd is definitely going to go for the average beer and bourbon. But the concept of having moonshine drinks on the menu will draw those regulars and anybody visiting in the area to try (we've all heard of moonshine, but not many of us have tried it.) The place isn't always packed or anything, but it's doing ok from what I've seen. Also note that the food specials will be a draw pretty much anywhere, especially around here where most of the offerings are typical chain restaurants and hole-in-the-wall local places that are all about the frozen food.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

OmegaBR posted:

About 40 minutes at 550 degrees or so

That seems like that would limit how many people could actually order this at once and thru out the night

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

OmegaBR posted:

About 40 minutes at 550 degrees or so. I agree, it does seem like a liability though. Not necessarily for the raw food, but for the potential for someone (particularly someone who's been drinking,) to burn themselves.

"Watch me light a cigarette off this rock!"

The drinks - and the bar - looked pretty good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
How the gently caress can you be a bar owner and not know that nitrogen is a finite resource that constantly has to be replaced?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Installing brewing equipment in a place where the owners and staff have no experience with brewing seems like... A bad idea.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Installing brewing equipment in a place where the owners and staff have no experience with brewing seems like... A bad idea.

People are going to go crazy over this bar's brand new "Maggot Cockroach IPA." Now featuring 90% less CO2!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Don't ever clean their fryers, but I'm sure this brewing equipment will always be spotless.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Having 100 beers on tap is not an idea anyone with any bar experience would try.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
Looks like Piratz Tavern is closing down for good. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-guide/wp/2015/03/26/pirate-themed-piratz-tavern-will-hoist-its-last-tankard-on-april-4/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

How the gently caress can you be a bar owner and not know that nitrogen is a finite resource that constantly has to be replaced?
That loving killed me. Up to that point, both the bar and the kitchen seemed to be doing OK on the stress test, and then BLAM! the owner's lack of attention scuttled the whole thing.

Binary Logic posted:

Having 100 beers on tap is not an idea anyone with any bar experience would try.

Yeah, that sounded insane when they mentioned it right off the top. All the beer culture places here tend to have maybe 8 on tap at any one time, and rotate the kegs monthly to keep people coming back to check out the new hotness.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The real surprise here is that shithole still being around this long.

Boy is that a badly written article. So many awful pirate puns.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 29, 2015

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I don't know if this is brilliant or terrible but it's certainly something: I Interrupted Anime Twitter Cybersex Roleplay as Bar Rescue's Jon Taffer

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

blunt posted:

I don't know if this is brilliant or terrible but it's certainly something: I Interrupted Anime Twitter Cybersex Roleplay as Bar Rescue's Jon Taffer

If I ever find myself in the position of roleplaying an anime character while having cybersex over twitter I hope that's the day the apocalypse hits.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

quote:

She had intended Piratz's final voyage as a trip for the faithful, designed only for those loyal swabs who dressed in tricorn hats and gunner's pants and drank deeply of the Piratz Grog

So then just for her and the staff?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

hahaha I completely forgot about Juciano

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah, that sounded insane when they mentioned it right off the top. All the beer culture places here tend to have maybe 8 on tap at any one time, and rotate the kegs monthly to keep people coming back to check out the new hotness.

Really? I'll admit that I'm in a big city, but we have three or four places within 5 miles or so from me that have approximately 100 beers on tap. Hell, I went to school in Waco, Texas and there was a place there that had 100 beers on tap. And that was about a decade ago.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
On tap or available? I've been to a lot of places that had hinders of beer, but most of them were bottled or canned, not on tap. Think how long it'd take to get through a keg of some random poo poo nobody ever orders.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

On tap or available? I've been to a lot of places that had hinders of beer, but most of them were bottled or canned, not on tap. Think how long it'd take to get through a keg of some random poo poo nobody ever orders.
Yeah even Baskin Robbins drew the line at 31!
Here in Toronto the brewpub with the biggest selection I know about is C'Est What. They have around 2 dozen 'regular' choices on tap and another 15 that are offered on rotation based on the season and what's currently hot.
And they've been at it for decades.

The logistics of keeping track of the kegs and lines and gas for 100 taps is ridiculous. I wish Taffer had asked the owner to list them all because he'd probably choke out and stall after naming ten. But from the episode and some YELP reviews they actually only had 7 or 8 beers on tap.

But I think that what bothered me most was the owner. He could not articulate why he wanted to run a bar, or why it should be rescued. Yes, he needed to keep it going because he'd already sunk so much money in. But even the Piratz woman and the hippy chick musician with crayons on the tables had reasons for their bars to exist.
This owner wasn't a beer aficionado, nor a cook, nor a party host who wanted to have a fun place where he could be the centre of attention. Getting rid of all the experienced management staff and bringing in family members (inexperienced but cheaper) was another terrible idea.

Anyway...the place is already up for sale. And I really doubt they're going to get anywhere near the asking price.

http://www.barrescueupdates.com/2015/03/bar-rescues-la-brew-co-listed-for-sale.html

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 29, 2015

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Most I've seen is a B-Dubs and that's like 30 tops: http://www.grapevineblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/wpid-20130820_184506.jpg

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Binary Logic posted:

Anyway...the place is already up for sale. And I really doubt they're going to get anywhere near the asking price.

http://www.barrescueupdates.com/2015/03/bar-rescues-la-brew-co-listed-for-sale.html
Notably absent is any mention of the in-house brewing system. I guess that didn't last long (no surprise)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

hahaha I completely forgot about Juciano

DE FOOD IS GOOD ASSHO

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ahaha and next week's episode is supposed to be a return to past rescues with a heavy emphasis on Piratz. Amazing timing.

edit: slow-boiling a lobster :stare:

Hazo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 30, 2015

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.

Hazo posted:

Notably absent is any mention of the in-house brewing system. I guess that didn't last long (no surprise)

My wife & I went to a concert Friday night down there & we happened to pass it on the way walking to & from parking. We didn't go in, but the brewing system in the front seemed to still be there. Their sidewalk patio was actually filled, but (not shockingly) there didn't seem to be many people inside.

I know it was one of the biggest square footage bars he's done on the show, but it truly is huge with a cavernous feeling.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

FrozenVent posted:

On tap. If not exactly 100, at least 80. Flying Saucer, Hay Merchant, Richmond Arms, and Taps Beer House all have at least 80 beers on tap, more in bottles, and are close to where I live. Crickets Bar and Grill in Waco claimed to have 100 beers on tap I believe, but it has been a few years since I was there, and it has been a decade since I graduated undergrad there.

I never realized it was so unusual. I travel a lot, and love craft beer, so I'm always finding places with 35+ taps of great beer.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
The Patriot House seems like such a New England concept, why the gently caress would Taffer decide that was the way to go with a SAN FRANCISCO bar run by IRISH WOMEN? Am I the only one who thinks that's just a terrible concept?

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

Epi Lepi posted:

The Patriot House seems like such a New England concept, why the gently caress would Taffer decide that was the way to go with a SAN FRANCISCO bar run by IRISH WOMEN? Am I the only one who thinks that's just a terrible concept?

We said the same thing while watching it. The concept made no sense at all for San Francisco. It seemed like he was going for an 'historic -Wall Street-old money' type vibe with the decor, but instead the whole place just ended up looking like a half-assed 1980s suburban basement.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

It was especially weird because Taffer pointed out earlier that the sisters came from Ireland and were "living the American dream". So I was expecting a theme about the immigrant experience, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" and maybe reflecting the San Fran melting pot of cultures.
Instead he brings in the Patriot House with stylized historical decor that would really mean very little to the owners. And it might be labelled a "gastropub" but the menu didn't seem "gastro" at all.
But the sign outside did look good, and I hope the sisters can make it work; they bickered a lot but were not evil or crazy or disgusting or drunk idiots like many who have turned for help to Bar Rescue .

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 3, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Shows like this one and kitchen nightmares makes me so glad I worked at a good restaurant. One that had been around for 20 years with the same owner and made everything fresh and cleaned the place every night and had a pos system. Common loving sense all these dip shits fail to realize and then wonder why their business sucks dick.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That's what is so frustrating about this show. Taffer says, "We don't embrace excuses, we embrace solutions" but what he's really doing is rewarding incompetence, mismanagement and laziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

That's what is so frustrating about this show. Taffer says, "We don't embrace excuses, we embrace solutions" but what he's really doing is rewarding incompetence, mismanagement and laziness.

Waterboard all scummy owners with flat beer.

• Locked thread