Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Remember years ago when the official Magic website's April Fools joke was a joke draft simulator, and actual Alara Reborn cards were spoiled? I hope they do something that clever again.

I hope that it is just an announcement of the next unset and that'll have full art basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fiend Computer posted:

I hope that it is just an announcement of the next unset and that'll have full art basics.

I figured they would do full arts in zendikar.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I figured they would do full arts in zendikar.

For some reason (basically nothing) I feel like they won't bother unless they think MTG sales are falling off.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Regular art Zendikar lands are my hipster lands so if they don't do full arts in Return to Zendikar that's actually fine because the regular art Zendikar lands were better.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

BJPaskoff posted:

Remember years ago when the official Magic website's April Fools joke was a joke draft simulator, and actual Alara Reborn cards were spoiled? I hope they do something that clever again.

I still fondly remember the deck registration simulator, that was a pretty good one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

the regular art Zendikar lands were better.

Mooooods

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey Goons. I was thinking of posting a thread/game where we make a deck by posting cards to add.
The rules would be simple:

Who ever posts a card first gets it added to the deck. One card per post and one copy per post.

Three goons need to agree for a card to be removed. One card at a time.

The basis of the deck would be a pre-selected by me.

Only cards from Innistrad block on would be valid including reprints and Core sets.

And finally once the deck is made and signed of on by three goons I would take it to an event in the SF Bay Area where goons could come and loving mock me.

I would hope later on people would argue and debate before posting which card to add and then there would be a deck of good ideas terribly executed. I am posting this idea here because there isn't a general thread.

So what say you goons? Wanna play a game about a game?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Sigma-X posted:

Timmy Leaders rules:

can they fix the hybrid mana problem that edh has, because im just here to cast magic cards and i want to cast as many cards as possible

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Herr Tog posted:

So what say you goons? Wanna play a game about a game?

I kinda want to see just how much money we can get you to spend on this deck.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

Good point. Maybe I should put in a rule to make mythics or certain dollar value cards banned.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Herr Tog posted:

Good point. Maybe I should put in a rule to make mythics or certain dollar value cards banned.

Wow, then what's the point?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Herr Tog posted:

Hey Goons. I was thinking of posting a thread/game where we make a deck by posting cards to add.
The rules would be simple:

Twitch plays magic the gathering

TAP ISLAND
TAP ISLAND
F6

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

Good point. Maybe I should put in a rule to make mythics banned.

Well it sounded like a good challenge up until this

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Every single one of my votes is going towards Relentless Rats

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

Every single one of my votes is going towards Relentless Rats

Was that reprinted recently? Also you are right votes should be a thing to add.

Devor posted:

Twitch plays magic the gathering

TAP ISLAND
TAP ISLAND
F6

What?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well it sounded like a good challenge up until this

Okay good point. I'll keep Mythics as an option. But I'm not buying 4 20 dollar cards.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Herr Tog posted:

Was that reprinted recently? Also you are right votes should be a thing to add.

What?

Okay good point. I'll keep Mythics as an option. But I'm not buying 4 20 dollar cards.

Yes you are.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

BJPaskoff posted:

The first letter of each paragraph in the Unhinged announcement spells out 'TAKE THE BAIT'. The bait being the hidden message itself.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

It was a thing where Twitch collectively played pokemon by accepting any input from the chat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_Plays_Pok%C3%A9mon

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

qbert posted:

Bringing in Eidolons against control isn't a bad idea. The damage you take doesn't matter against control, and the more threat dense your deck is post-board, the better. Stick with Arc Lightning over Twin Bolt because it trades 1 for 1 with an opposing Hordeling Outburst, whereas Bolt does not. Heelcutters are perfectly fine with 20 land and they're great against annoying roadblocks like Rhino, Mantis Rider, Brimaz, Hornet's Nest, etc.

I maindeck Eidolons, but the logic against control match ups is thus; I had an opening hand against UB that didn't have one, I didn't draw one, and he got to anticipate three turns in a row. I lost that game.

In all seriousness, most removal as well is 3cmc. Getting to burn them out with shocks everytime they have to cast Hero's Downfall, Bile Blight or Drown is a greeaaaaaaaat feeling. In general you wont burn yourself before them since they aren't attacking your life total every turn like you are. Eidolon is also a high priority kill because they can;'t keep killing your other things, letting it shock them, and continue letting it swinging for 2 everyturn. Whether you maindeck it or sideboard it, it does work against control if you land it, even more work if you hand two back to back. But that goes without saying. Zurgo, Eidolon, Rabble/Outburst is a brutal curve otherwise.

So yeah, I back up the Eidolon is good against control decks.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Herr Tog posted:

I'm not buying 4 20 dollar cards.

I'm sorry, have you played magic before?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Definitely putting in a voting rule.

Devor posted:

It was a thing where Twitch collectively played pokemon by accepting any input from the chat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_Plays_Pok%C3%A9mon

oh god it has a wiki page

So, it seems like some goons would participate. Any other suggestions?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Do it as long as you toxx for it.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Dr. Stab posted:

This occurred to me as well.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So apparently they just announced a Standard Super League during the VSL stream? Starting next month and Brian Kibler is one of the players.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Eidolon is great vs control. It's a 2-drop that they absolutely have to remove and it almost always shocks them when they do. It might be even better now that so many other RDW cards can dodge Drown in Sorrow.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

I'm sorry, have you played magic before?

Yea and I am used to wrecking decks worth twice as much as mine...

newtestleper posted:

This occurred to me as well.

This will be expensive

Dr. Stab posted:

Do it as long as you toxx for it.

That is a good idea.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Toshimo posted:

Literally everyone in this thread is better at magic than you. Physician, heal thyself.

I'm not sure how you can possibly know that but whatever. I don't see what the problem is with learning from the best players...

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Herr Tog: My deck concept is budget white weenie

Goons: 4x Liliana of the Veil

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

newtestleper posted:

4x Snapcaster Mage
52x Relentless Rats

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think a more interesting concept would be "here's my collection, build me a deck from this" but unless you already have everything you own recorded on something like Deckbox I could see that being a huge pain in the rear end to catalog.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

What's the reason for the ISD-forward rule?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

newtestleper posted:

If there isn't a swamp the black card doesn't go in the deck.

Dr. Stab posted:

4x Snapcaster Mage
52x Relentless Rats

No lands, no go.

These are at least hilarious.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

What's the reason for the ISD-forward rule?

Because that is when I started up this stupid loving hobby again. Other than that to remove expensive joke cards right away

C-Euro posted:

I think a more interesting concept would be "here's my collection, build me a deck from this" but unless you already have everything you own recorded on something like Deckbox I could see that being a huge pain in the rear end to catalog.

I seriously though about this as I have some of my poo poo categorized but not all the commons and uncommon.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

No lands, no go.

Buy a playset of each Fetchland from Tarkir, we'll run half the Relentless Rats.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Well you probably don't need to sweat the commons and uncommons.

On that note, 4x Wasteland, 4x Force of Will

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Buy a playset of each Fetchland from Tarkir, we'll run half the Relentless Rats.

Is relentless Rats standard legal?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Well you probably don't need to sweat the commons and uncommons.

So this is seeming more and more plausible.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mcmagic posted:

I'm not sure how you can possibly know that but whatever. I don't see what the problem is with learning from the best players...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Herr Tog posted:

Is relentless Rats standard legal?

No this is a Modern deck I want you to copy Andrew Cuneos Signal the Rats deck and play it in Modern

I do get this but deck building is really hard and copying the full 75 list from a pro and playing the deck until you understand why the full 75 is the way it is before making changes is a better idea. Like maybe don't do that with a G Fab list or Nassif or something because it's really hard to play as well as them or understand the niche choices, but learning the deck before making changes is a good idea unless the changes are for price reason or you're playing in an underground death league which obviously has a different meta

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 1, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

qbert posted:

So apparently they just announced a Standard Super League during the VSL stream? Starting next month and Brian Kibler is one of the players.

Yep, starting after VSL Season 2 (April 28th). Brad Nelson, Brian Kibler, Josh Utter-Layton, Gerry Thompson, Owen Turtenwald, Paul Cheon, Tom Ross, and Andrew Cuneo - it's a 8-man single elimination bracket each week for 8 weeks, then a 3-man playoff based on a score system (+10 points per match win, +5 points if you are the winner of a week).

Also, the week of GP Vegas will be Modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

No this is a Modern deck I want you to copy Andrew Cuneos Signal the Rats deck and play it in Modern

I see we have a player with a plan.

• Locked thread