Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

Regarding Decadus, since we've met two disciples so far, there's a little bit of a pattern happening.

Dito was someone who Five would never get bored with.
Decadus is someone Four can feel superior to, and occasionally take out her frustrations on.

It's weird how well the Disciples fit their Intoners.

If Dito's story is any indication, the "fits their Intoners" thing may not be entirely voluntary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Seiren posted:

...wow, I actually feel pretty bad for Four.

But judging from that weapon story, and the name of said weapon, I think I've puzzled together just how Four vents her anger when she gets triggered by something. :stonk:

In Soviet Notspain, intoner fucks you!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bwahahahahahhaah

That was amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Here lies Four, killed by believing in anime cliches. Bloody marvelous.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

II's gonna die because she believes something like Magical Anime Friendship Powers actually work outside of the Megaman Battle Network games, isn't she?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alkydere posted:

II's gonna die because she believes something like Magical Anime Friendship Powers actually work outside of the Megaman Battle Network games, isn't she?

Nah, Zero's gonna pull the same trick on her but II's gonna want her to prove it so Zero'll cook some horrendous abomination of a dish and, because she can't cook, it'll come to life and rip her apart like a horde of zombies.

I've probably got the tone of it a bit off though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Well that was anticlimactic. For some reason going in I was expecting that the intoner herself would be the main event boss fight-wise but instead it seems like you fight some kind of bonkers summon and then the intoner just dies like a chump.

I have to say I'm not as impressed with Taro Yoko as the rest of the thread seems to be, so far anyway. All we've seen so far is "horrible things happen to horrible people, for reasons nobody bothers to explain."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Danaru posted:

Joke stolen from W.T. Fits

Dark Id Thread Fanart, Best Fanart

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You need to come into it with the context of Drak 1 and Nier, really.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

StandardVC10 posted:

Well that was anticlimactic. For some reason going in I was expecting that the intoner herself would be the main event boss fight-wise but instead it seems like you fight some kind of bonkers summon and then the intoner just dies like a chump.

I have to say I'm not as impressed with Taro Yoko as the rest of the thread seems to be, so far anyway. All we've seen so far is "horrible things happen to horrible people, for reasons nobody bothers to explain."

Its pretty obvious that they're saving the Intoner boss fights for the back end of the game. We're still only on Route A, after all, and there's still routes B through D to fill with content.

And christ, we're only on chapter 2 of a minimum 5. There's this thing called 'pacing' you know? Answers will come in due time, even if they haven't come by the time we see the credits for the first time.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Danaru posted:

Joke stolen from W.T. Fits
Simply beautiful.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

StandardVC10 posted:

"Horrible things happen to horrible people" is literally Drakengard, though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Momomo posted:

"Horrible things happen to horrible people everyone" is literally Drakengard, though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Momomo posted:

"Horrible things happen to horrible people children" is literally Drakengard, though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

StandardVC10 posted:

Read the NIER LP if you want to see some more serious writing from him that's also good. I think goon's in this thread exaggerate how weird these games are but I still think NIER does a lot of interesting thing and has some pretty strong character writing. So far Drakengard 3 seems like its trying to be a black comedy, and for me its working. In a serious story I would hate Zero but as the protagonist of a game that acknowledges just how ridiculous it is she works pretty well.

Momomo posted:

Well yes, and that's one of the reasons why Drakengard 1 is a bad game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't think anyone liked Drakengard because it was well written. I liked it because everything was so hilariously over the top and grim that it ended up being funny. This game is a bit different (you're expected to sympathize a bit more with pretty much everyone), but it doesn't forget its roots.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Momomo posted:

I don't think anyone liked Drakengard because it was well written. I liked it because everything was so hilariously over the top and grim that it ended up being funny. This game is a bit different (you're expected to sympathize a bit more with pretty much everyone), but it doesn't forget its roots.

Drakengard looked like a loving nightmare to actually play, but holy sweet christ every time you thought it couldn't get more ridiculous.

Although 3 looks like it's legitimately fun even aside from the goofy plot

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Renditious posted:

If Dito's story is any indication, the "fits their Intoners" thing may not be entirely voluntary.
Hmm, do other disciples have stories.

For that matter, are they stuck in Zero's control now? If not then I guess you can see what they're really like.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Renditious posted:

Well, between that pattern with the Disciples and the reports of Two being sickeningly lovey-dovey with her Disciple, I think that Two's is at least very much voluntary.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Alavaria posted:

They do indeed. I actually just got done rereading two of them, Decadus's and the next disciple's stories.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I finally caught up with this thread and really need to get this off my chest-

Why does she have a door knocker on her back? Am I seeing that right?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

HenryEx posted:

It's a pull tab for her dress so she can get right to the boning after offing a sister :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's a pull-cord. When you pull it, she calls you a loving rear end in a top hat.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Well, between that pattern with the Disciples and the reports of Two being sickeningly lovey-dovey with her Disciple, I think that Two's is at least very much voluntary.

Can't wait until we find out they're actually in a toxic codependent relationship.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Dabir posted:

It's a pull-cord. When you pull it, she calls you a loving rear end in a top hat.

Then she stabs you. Repeatedly.

Alavaria posted:

For that matter, are they stuck in Zero's control now? If not then I guess you can see what they're really like.

Yes, everyone gets a story.
And regarding control, again, never stated in game, but Zero doesn't use mind control on the disciples. They follow her because they want to and they're all their own selves.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Postal Parcel posted:

Yes, everyone gets a story.
And regarding control, again, never stated in game, but Zero doesn't use mind control on the disciples. They follow her because they want to and they're all their own selves.

I can definitely see Dito, but I have a feeling that pants making GBS threads terror factors into Decadus' choice to join the crew.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Danaru posted:

Although 3 looks like it's legitimately fun even aside from the goofy plot
Drakengard 3 is a weird game in that I'd consider it more "Oddly compelling" than "Fun." It can be fun at times, when it feels like it. The combat and set pieces get pretty repetitive, but there's still a lingering sense of satisfaction having murdered a ton of dumb anime soldiers as quickly and efficiently as possible. For the most part though, it's the game's atmosphere and personality that keeps you playing; the sensation of finding yourself stranded on an iceberg populated exclusively by weirdos. Drakengard 3 keeps its plot cards pretty close to its chest, but lets you peak just often enough that you want to hold out to see the whole hand played.

Then you try to go for the platinum and start considering suicide a reasonable alternative to the hell of cash grinding.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Bad Seafood posted:

Then you try to go for the platinum and start considering suicide a reasonable alternative to the hell of cash grinding.
Funny thing is due to the requirements for the final route, I more or less was already close to platinuming the game after beating it that I figured might as well wrap up those loose ends.

Didn't feel too bad after that, is the thing. My reward was all the weapon stories and I was pleased with that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Danaru posted:

I can definitely see Dito, but I have a feeling that pants making GBS threads terror factors into Decadus' choice to join the crew.

The point is he's not being magically mind controlled like he was when he was serving Four. He might be following Zero out of pure terror but that's his terror, not implanted in him via magical intoner shenanigans.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ArclightBorealis posted:

Funny thing is due to the requirements for the final route, I more or less was already close to platinuming the game after beating it that I figured might as well wrap up those loose ends.

Didn't feel too bad after that, is the thing. My reward was all the weapon stories and I was pleased with that.
Collecting every weapon wasn't too bad, barring one or two annoying Accord requests, but the upgrading phase I found largely tedious.

I say this as a man who, if PSN Profiles is to be believed, platinum'd Nier in just over two weeks.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Momomo posted:

There we go.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hey, found this on 4chan, just going to leave it here:

Found this too:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 1, 2015

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

HenryEx posted:

Honestly, I'm seeing that as a catch for a tether or something for when she's riding Mikhail.

She just never uses it because stabbing him in the skull is more fun for her.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Found this too:

I can't accept Caim as a pretty boy bishonen. I expect him to have a poo poo eating grin while he thinks of creative ways to kill a man that'd make Machete look like Blue's Clues!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Holy christ I was actually convinced for a minute that Zero was someone else and then...god

dammit once again anime has tricked me for purposes indecent.

SirPhoebos posted:

Found this too:

God I love that little racist bastard. :3:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

Honestly, I'm seeing that as a catch for a tether or something for when she's riding Mikhail.

She just never uses it because stabbing him in the skull is more fun for her.

It's part of her underwear.

No I don't know what's up with it. It may be the fantasy version of a zipper.

SirPhoebos posted:

Found this too:

If Caim isn't killing, he should be scowling.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

D3 Cash grinding was nowhere near as tedious as Nier's RNG mmo bullshit, even without the DLC.
Seriously, had I not gotten the DLC I might have killed myself(not just ingame) hunting for those drat eagle eggs.

And let's not get started on the bracelet and earrings that the weapons just had to have.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

BattleCattle posted:

If Caim isn't killing, he should be scowling.

Isn't that an anime scowl?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

SirPhoebos posted:

Found this too:

This is good poo poo right here :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

ultrafilter posted: