Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

That more applies to Einstein on religion, not a top Card Game Player Person on Card Game Playing.

Though I'm not sure if it's "Reid Duke said to run two ultimate price in the sideboard for stormbreaths" or if it's "Reid Duke ran two ultimate price in the side board so you must as well" in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Herr Tog posted:

Yea and I am used to wrecking decks worth twice as much as mine...

Pretend this expands until it takes up the whole thread

:rolleyes:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I say we go for the Borborygmos, Enraged + Possibility Storm + Enter the Infinite RUG combo kill. :iamafag:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I would be totally cool with "here's all the rares & uncommons I have, let's make something" and then set a limit on how many external cards to bring in, like 85% of the deck (not counting basic lands) has to be stuff you already own, or you can only spend $50 on extra cards for the deck. I think it'd be much more interesting to see what we can make from a random collection rather than "lol let's make him buy a playset of Jaces"

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I would be totally cool with "here's all the rares & uncommons I have, let's make something" and then set a limit on how many external cards to bring in, like 85% of the deck (not counting basic lands) has to be stuff you already own, or you can only spend $50 on extra cards for the deck. I think it'd be much more interesting to see what we can make from a random collection rather than "lol let's make him buy a playset of Jaces"

I agree but I don't think many more goons would be interested in this.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep, starting after VSL Season 2 (April 28th). Brad Nelson, Brian Kibler, Josh Utter-Layton, Gerry Thompson, Owen Turtenwald, Paul Cheon, Tom Ross, and Andrew Cuneo - it's a 8-man single elimination bracket each week for 8 weeks, then a 3-man playoff based on a score system (+10 points per match win, +5 points if you are the winner of a week).

Also, the week of GP Vegas will be Modern.

This sounds loving awesome. I'm down.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

qbert posted:

This sounds loving awesome. I'm down.

They also get to make new Standard decks every week.

It is going to be awesome.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

:allears:

Nothing makes me happier than destroying legacy Burn with my RUG Delver deck that costs 20x theirs.

Also knowing I could sell my deck to pay my mortgage for half a year if I needed to is nice.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Snacksmaniac posted:

Hey. I've beaten plenty of $20 decks with $10 decks.

:v:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Okay I'm sorry for bringing that anecdote up.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
3-0 with that RDW I was asking about earlier at my local LGS tonight. Thanks a ton for all the suggestions. Ended up fighting essentially 3 control decks. One guy dropped a Xenagos, God of Revels and a Thunderbreak Regent which was scary, but not enough to stop me. Only lost 1 game in all my matches against a control guy where I got mana screwed for several turns. Should have mulliganed that hand.

Apparently they're doing a PPTQ this weekend? Never done one of those, they said it's REL or something? Will probably lose but since this did really well and is a lot of fun, I might take it. Winnings came in store credit too, which is pretty nice.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That more applies to Einstein on religion, not a top Card Game Player Person on Card Game Playing.

Though I'm not sure if it's "Reid Duke said to run two ultimate price in the sideboard for stormbreaths" or if it's "Reid Duke ran two ultimate price in the side board so you must as well" in this situation.

It seemed to be more of a "I don't care if you have been running a version of this deck since KTK came out you should only net deck what reid duke changes his deck to as it's the only true magic and making your own changes to take your deck along a different path than reid duke is not allowed." Kind of thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It seemed to be more of a "I don't care if you have been running a version of this deck since KTK came out you should only net deck what reid duke changes his deck to as it's the only true magic and making your own changes to take your deck along a different path than reid duke is not allowed." Kind of thing.

Well I mean, Reid Duke gave us Prophet Ban in RTR/Theros. That was a magical deck.

I miss Reving for 18 in the same deck I could Monstrous Polukranos for 22

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Eh, it mostly came off as a really salty overreaction.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Count Bleck posted:

Well I mean, Reid Duke gave us Prophet Ban in RTR/Theros. That was a magical deck.

I miss Reving for 18 in the same deck I could Monstrous Polukranos for 22

Theros ruined Turbo Gates. As far as I'm concerned INN/RTR was the best cycle ever. Mazes End forever.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Herr Tog posted:

Hey Goons. I was thinking of posting a thread/game where we make a deck by posting cards to add.
The rules would be simple:

Three goons need to agree to add a card to the deck. Only four copy of a card at a time.

Five goons need to agree for a card to be removed. One card at a time.

20+ usd cards may be added only one at a time unless they are lands. same voting and removing rules apply

The basis of the deck would be a pre-selected by me.

Only cards from Innistrad block and later blocks would be valid including reprints and Core sets.

A card is only valid if a land that generates the kind of mana needed to cast is and use one of it's abilities is already in the deck list

The deck must have at least four lands

Here is my Deckbox for...inspiration?
https://deckbox.org/sets/227342

And finally once the deck is made and signed of on by five goons I would take it to an event in the SF Bay Area where goons could come and loving mock me.

I would hope later on people would argue and debate and then there would be a deck of good ideas terribly executed. I am posting this idea here because there isn't a general thread.

So what say you goons? Wanna play a game about a game?

Revised. Any questions or comments?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I run a version of Infect that is substantially different from the Pantheon version, and it's because I honestly think some of the decisions they made were incorrect. 12 Infect creatures is too few with all the discard the Abzan decks are running, Become Immense may be too slow and is terrible in muliples, Groundswell is a great spell and there is no reason to run less than 4. I am not going to discard my own thinking and experience to just blindly run what I think is an inferior version of the deck, even if the people who made it are better at Magic than I am.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

kingcobweb posted:

I was really excited to tell everyone in the thread about the April 1st promotional product that I made for Card Kingdom... but it sold out in 20m, before I even knew it was live. Oh well.

Here's the promo I wrote for it, though, which I'm proud of even in isolation.

I watched a guy open one in store: 4 foil rukh eggs. :newlol:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Konstantin posted:

Become Immense may be too slow

If they never interact with your hand or board maybe but even then between pumps fetches and probes I'm having a hard time imagining it ever costing more than 3

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Konstantin posted:

I run a version of Infect that is substantially different from the Pantheon version, and it's because I honestly think some of the decisions they made were incorrect. 12 Infect creatures is too few with all the discard the Abzan decks are running, Become Immense may be too slow and is terrible in muliples, Groundswell is a great spell and there is no reason to run less than 4. I am not going to discard my own thinking and experience to just blindly run what I think is an inferior version of the deck, even if the people who made it are better at Magic than I am.

Imagine how well your better version of the deck would have placed at that tournament

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It is, of course, totally possible that your local meta is not the same as that on the Pro Tour, Open Series, or modo. Or even if it (coincidentally) is, knowing that for sure allows you to make better decisions than if you were preparing for a less certain meta.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

TheKingofSprings posted:

If they never interact with your hand or board maybe but even then between pumps fetches and probes I'm having a hard time imagining it ever costing more than 3

3 is too much, you may need to leave mana open for Vines or Blessing to protect your creature, or you may need to spend 2 of your mana on Inkmoth Nexus.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jabor posted:

It is, of course, totally possible that your local meta is not the same as that on the Pro Tour, Open Series, or modo. Or even if it (coincidentally) is, knowing that for sure allows you to make better decisions than if you were preparing for a less certain meta.

The modo meta is all burn spells all the time every format, which really skews what kind of practice you can get and deck composition a lot of times. I don't think you'll ever run into that in real life though because once more than six hobos get together someone usually calls the cops

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I watched a guy open one in store: 4 foil rukh eggs. :newlol:

That's one that I made as one of four demos of what the rest would be like :3:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rabidsquid posted:

The modo meta is all burn spells all the time every format, which really skews what kind of practice you can get and deck composition a lot of times. I don't think you'll ever run into that in real life though because once more than six hobos get together someone usually calls the cops

The MODO meta is really annoying at times because it is so skewed in favor of the cheapest aggro deck possible in every format other than Vintage (every deck on Vintage MTGO is either Gush Storm or a Delver variant)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

The MODO meta is really annoying at times because it is so skewed in favor of the cheapest aggro deck possible in every format other than Vintage (every deck on Vintage MTGO is either Gush Storm or a Delver variant)

Once Wasteland Remastered comes out, there will probably be a lot more Shops.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Angry Grimace posted:

How is dredge not number one vintage territory?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

rabidsquid posted:

Imagine how well your better version of the deck would have placed at that tournament

It's possible his deck could be better. Just because everyone copies the exact list that the pros make doesn't mean the list is the best for every tournament.

It's kind of stupid that everyone here just assumes that the PT lists are Gods commandments that are passed down from a burning bush from on high to the small group of people who work for big stores and are broadcast on the Internet when they play wizard poker.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 1, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Theros ruined Turbo Gates. As far as I'm concerned INN/RTR was the best cycle ever. Mazes End forever.

I don't know if you forgot about Thragtusks for days.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

I don't know if you forgot about Thragtusks for days.

That's actually still better than Theros

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's possible his deck could be better. Just because everyone copies the exact list that the pros make doesn't mean the list is the best for every tournament.

It's kind of stupid that everyone here just assumes that the PT lists are Gods commandments that are passed down from a burning bush from on high to the small group of people who work for big stores and are broadcast on the Internet when they play wizard poker.

The best ever deck brewers in MTG, were a couple of guys who had been friends since grade school. One was named Cyrus, and the other was Jeff. They practiced twice a week in Jeffs bedroom.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Eidolon is great vs control. It's a 2-drop that they absolutely have to remove and it almost always shocks them when they do. It might be even better now that so many other RDW cards can dodge Drown in Sorrow.

Currently making a list similar to what Dohaeris had. I don't have any Eidolons right now but I'm very much wondering now if I should at least have it in the board. Is it best against control? How essential do goons think it is? For context I'm planning to go to GP Toronto in May so I'd like my deck to be competitive as possible.

Also wondering if I should instead run the variant splashing green for Atarka's Command (I tested it a bit on MWS with a friend and I did enjoy the card a lot) but I'm not really sure what I'd replace in the standard RDW for them (I'm guessing one of the burns?).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

In the event that anybody still cares about Temur Midrange, I updated the decklist for Dragons of Tarkir.

I'm actually a little concerned about running two versions of Sarkhan, but both of them fit the gameplan well enough: one becomes a Stormbreath Dragon or Stoke the Flames, and the other is card advantage and more Threats, both Ultimates win the game in the long run should I so need to use them.

Still wish Dragonspeaker's Emblem didn't trigger the turn you get it

Thunderbreak Regent has been added, and thus with the addition of that, Sarkhan Unbroken, and already having 6 dragons, four potentially in hand, I decided to add more countermagic in Silumgar's Scorn: Basically Counterspell is pretty good when you're playing Tempo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is the first actually good standard playable gameday promo in a while. I bet it's going to be at least 20 bucks.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Count Bleck posted:

In the event that anybody still cares about Temur Midrange, I updated the decklist for Dragons of Tarkir.

I still care. :3: I want to play the deck still. So having an idea of whats working is good. Interesting to see the burn taken out for countermagic.

BattleCake posted:

Currently making a list similar to what Dohaeris had. I don't have any Eidolons right now but I'm very much wondering now if I should at least have it in the board. Is it best against control? How essential do goons think it is? For context I'm planning to go to GP Toronto in May so I'd like my deck to be competitive as possible.

Also wondering if I should instead run the variant splashing green for Atarka's Command (I tested it a bit on MWS with a friend and I did enjoy the card a lot) but I'm not really sure what I'd replace in the standard RDW for them (I'm guessing one of the burns?).

I honestly consider unanswered Eidolons as much a free win against control decks as an unanswered Rabblemaster is against any other.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I only sided my EIdolons in two games last night (Probably should have been more) but they did excellent work when they got put in.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I ran Sadisi Whip at the SCG NJ the day after KTK was released and I've been playing it on and off since and I pretty much made all the changes Reid did to the deck (I'm probably taking about 71 of his 75 to an IQ this weekend.) When a player much better than me improves a deck I'm playing why the hell wouldn't I want to take advantage of that knowledge? Isn't the goal to give yourself a better chance to win?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 1, 2015

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I ran Sadisi Whip at the SCG NJ the day after KTK was released and I've been playing it on and off since and I pretty much made all the changes Reid did to the deck (I'm probably taking about 71 of his 75 to an IQ this weekend.) When a player much better than me improves a deck I'm playing why the hell wouldn't I want to take advantage of that knowledge? Isn't the goal to give yourself a better chance to win?

I think we all understand the point you're trying to make (and it's not a bad point or anything) but it's not like a "this list is just strictly better" situation. There's so many factors that people have mentioned including local meta-game, etc. I'm sure the poster has reasons for their list choices, not the least of which might just be because they have more fun with it.

Just my 2 cents :shrug:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I'm actually a little concerned about running two versions of Sarkhan, but both of them fit the gameplan well enough: one becomes a Stormbreath Dragon or Stoke the Flames, and the other is card advantage and more Threats, both Ultimates win the game in the long run should I so need to use them.

Still wish Dragonspeaker's Emblem didn't trigger the turn you get it

Thunderbreak Regent has been added, and thus with the addition of that, Sarkhan Unbroken, and already having 6 dragons, four potentially in hand, I decided to add more countermagic in Silumgar's Scorn: Basically Counterspell is pretty good when you're playing Tempo.

Are you concerned that having 2RR, 1GG, G, UGR, and UU the same deck might be putting too much stress on the mana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mcmagic posted:

"Reid Duke did it" isn't a good argument. Why those choices were made is the discussion you should be having. Why did you make those changes to play 71/75 of his cards, instead of 75? You must have a reason, right?

If you can't articulate these things and just fall back on "no really it's better, learn from the pros, man" there's no reason anyone should ever pay attention to you.

• Locked thread