Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well we're all going to find out in June when SCOTUS legalizes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

zoux posted:

Well we're all going to find out in June when SCOTUS legalizes it.

Pillar of salt, wrath of god type stuff.

I guess it makes sense if they actually think that, it will bring fire and brimstone, they might be concerned.
Unfortunately, I think there are a few other countries ahead of us in "allowed gay marriage and must be destroyed" que.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dahn posted:

Pillar of salt, wrath of god type stuff.

I guess it makes sense if they actually think that, it will bring fire and brimstone, they might be concerned.
Unfortunately, I think there are a few other countries ahead of us in "allowed gay marriage and must be destroyed" que.

Yeah, but God's only mildly annoyed at them. It's only a problem here in America because we're God's Chosen. :v:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Gods chosen live in a state that most would rather rent out and live in hell. Makes you think.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
Texas bill would prohibit doctors from asking about guns

:freep: posted:

“Pediatricians are asking children away from their parents, ‘Do you have guns in your house?’ and then reporting this on the electronic health records, and then the federal government, frankly, has access to who has guns and who doesn’t,” Spitzer said in a recent interview.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I never got that. At some level these guys have to realize that the Feds, with their jets, tanks, and cruise missiles, do not care about how many handguns or AR-15's with heavy barrels for shooting the blue helmets when they come you have.

At all. If the feds ever wanted to take our guns away in some crazy nut future we would be able to do jack poo poo about it.

quote:

Florida passed a similar law in 2011.

No. No! Stop it! Stop following in Florida's footsteps, Texas. You're better than this. I believe in you, we can work this out. We'll start by burning down anything outside the core of DFW.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nah they've seen Red Dawn and it's given them some ideas.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
At least they know how to keep warm.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

on the other hand it's really not any of the doctor's business unless there's a mental health aspect involved. pediatricians could just hand out flyers about child gun safety to everybody. I mean it is texas, there probably is a gun in the home.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I doubt very much that doctors routinely ask about guns in the home.

In Good Government News the House is currently debating and likely to pass a bill that will ban texting while driving statewide.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Won't stop people, of course, but at least they'll get dinged for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Won't stop people, of course, but at least they'll get dinged for it.

I've several times put off phone calls while driving because of the Austin hands free ordinance.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

I've several times put off phone calls while driving because of the Austin hands free ordinance.

You're a reasonable person though. The world is full of people who aren't. Sure, some may stop, but most people careless enough to text while driving are probably gonna keep at it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I never got that. At some level these guys have to realize that the Feds, with their jets, tanks, and cruise missiles, do not care about how many handguns or AR-15's with heavy barrels for shooting the blue helmets when they come you have.

At all. If the feds ever wanted to take our guns away in some crazy nut future we would be able to do jack poo poo about it.
I think we tend to overstate the ability of the U.S. military to quash insurgencies. Jets, tanks and cruise missiles are really good at defeating conventional stand-up armies, but in an insurgency you're fighting an enemy that blends in with the civilian population.

So I think the logic for the Second Amendment stands.

But what I don't get is how so many of the people who are really insistent about that -- and actively prepare for it -- are in absolutely no physical condition to jog down the loving block, let alone fight a war with anyone. I wanna say to these guys: You're going to fight the government? Please. You have trouble fighting over a parking space at the Golden Corral.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

zoux posted:

San Antonio just did the same and I've already seen the difference. I still occasionally see people on the phone while driving but much fewer than before.

ReidRansom posted:

You're a reasonable person though. The world is full of people who aren't. Sure, some may stop, but most people careless enough to text while driving are probably gonna keep at it.

It'd be nice if we could citizen's arrest them and wait for a cop to write the ticket but good luck getting them to pull over

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I'm reading this thread while driving and typing while steering with my knee because I am a competent and experienced safe driver. I successfully paid attention to and navigated a 4 way stop while hitting submit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Omi-Polari posted:

I think we tend to overstate the ability of the U.S. military to quash insurgencies. Jets, tanks and cruise missiles are really good at defeating conventional stand-up armies, but in an insurgency you're fighting an enemy that blends in with the civilian population.

But what I don't get is how so many of the people who are really insistent about that -- and actively prepare for it -- are in absolutely no physical condition to jog down the loving block, let alone fight a war with anyone. I wanna say to these guys: You're going to fight the government? Please. You have trouble fighting over a parking space at the Golden Corral.

Yeah quash insurgencies in countries that are entirely jungle or mountain. Not in countries with extremely well developed infrastructures that facilitate the movement of troops and armor.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Yeah quash insurgencies in countries that are entirely jungle or mountain. Not in countries with extremely well developed infrastructures that facilitate the movement of troops and armor.
Eh. Not to belabor it. I can't imagine it happening in the U.S., anyways. But the U.S. fought in Baghdad for years, a city of 5+ million, and never truly pacified it with military means. It took a political solution (which ended up being unsustainable oh well).

I think Baghdad might be the largest city in terms of population the U.S. ever fought a war in. You scale up to some American cities, and there's no historical precedent.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 25, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

zoux posted:

In Good Government News the House is currently debating and likely to pass a bill that will ban texting while driving statewide.

We don't do it in a regular hospital, although pediatrics is a very different beast and there is a lot of other poo poo you have to deal with once children are involved.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah, no, any government that's willing to take away everyone's guns, because they're literally marching people off to FEMA camps under the Denver airport isn't going to have any qualms about gassing entire neighborhoods. Because both are pretty ridiculous.

I'm 100% for the second amendment, but the people that think that the government knowing they have guns is bad because they're compiling a list to take them are loving crazy, and you should never defend them unless you're insane yourself.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

School zones here got a lot safer too.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I still see people texting and driving in rush hour every day in Austin. I know the traffic is heavy but come on.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I still see people texting and driving in rush hour every day in Austin. I know the traffic is heavy but come on.

Yeah, don't understand that. "hey siri" is an awesome feature that I used about 3-4 times a week while in my car. More people need to use that type of technology.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Send that fucker to die in the desert President Cruz.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
House Votes to Defund HIV Prevention to Pay for Abstinence Education

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 1, 2015

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

zoux posted:

Accidents, homicide, and suicide are top 5 in causes of death in teenagers.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Well, prepare for the eventual AIDS outbreak.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Your link is busted, here have one that works: https://www.texasobserver.org/house-defunds-hiv-prevetion-abstinence-education/

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The Texas house just approved its budget at 6 a.m., after debating it for about 17 straight hours.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Wrong thread

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Seems to not be a problem for Asians and White males The link Still primarily a Gay problem it would seem, so it's unlikely to have a lot of support in the legislature.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Welp, no sex for the next few decades then.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

quote:

Spitzer is a doctor, but some legislators suggested he needed a refresher course in the basis of STD-transmission. When some Democrats pointed out that STDs could be spread without having sex, Spitzer replied: “You can, but it’s awful hard through your clothes.”

Someone jam some needles in the seat cushion of all his chairs. Oh yeah, and if you have cold sores, lick all his glasses.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's it, I'm voting Republican from now on.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

I like how a lot of people will scream about how this is unfairly harming business but aren't willing to have smoke blasted into their living space all day.

Could they get like fuckoff huge industrial smokestacks or something?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Xibanya posted:

I like how a lot of people will scream about how this is unfairly harming business but aren't willing to have smoke blasted into their living space all day.

Could they get like fuckoff huge industrial smokestacks or something?

Most of the people I see complaining about the idea of the regulation don't live in the areas affected and seem to think that it is new residents moving in and complaining about long-established businesses (which provides a good indication that those people haven't been here for long if they think any of the BBQ joints being discussed are old businesses).

Smoke stacks would really help and I bet be an acceptable solution for everyone directly affected but I would imagine that the usual group of people would come out of the woodwork to complain about them ruining the look of the neighborhood or something. I also wonder if the smoke stacks would be too permanent of a structure and would somehow mess with the "food trailer/truck" designation some of the places are using because of just how absurd the permitting process is and the crazy number of requirements needed to start a standard brick and mortar restaurant.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

loving liberals

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I sure hate how my house smells like good rear end barbeque all the time - a liberal piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I am extremely mad about this. Abstinence-only sex ed is a monstrosity, and funding it by stripping a valuable, actually-working program is the poo poo-icing on the shitcake.

This is going to disproportionately gently caress Hispanics in South Texas and African-Americans, too, which are the two demographics nobody cares about whatsoever.