Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Chomp8645 posted:

The essential difference between Magic and Hearthstone is that Magic is a good game with a draconian business model while Hearthstone is a bad game but free to play.

Both are best avoided.

Pretty much. Playing Hearthstone just makes me wish I was playing Magic instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

fozzy fosbourne posted:

there is someone on reddit or bgg somewhere who has been hinting about playtesting an Android:Netrunner app. I'm REALLY EXCITED about that potentially existing some day

A LotR app would also be awesome

Where did you see this?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I haven't played HearthStone in nearly a year but I remember the last time I played the game was swingy as gently caress. You could be out playing your opponent and slowly winning. Then they'd draw some card with a bullshit effect and suddenly you'd explode and have little chance of winning unless you too could pull some dumb card like that. Really turned me off the game

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I really don't know what to say to people saying Hearthstone isn't competitive. The competitive scene in alive and well and they have major tournaments with cash prizes - it's not as though the game doesn't support that level of play. If you've been out for a year, give it a shot - a lot of stuff has changed and there are far fewer topdecks that can steal a game completely.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The Hearthstone GDT thread believes there is plenty of diversity in the highest ranks of the game. I think I'm staying with it. I went and looked at one of Magic threads here (Eternal) and the OP said you need $700 to play that type of Magic. gently caress that, it's simply ridiculous.

Tempo is a thing in both Magic and Heartstone and is one of the main reasons people enjoy the games.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what are the good games on boardgame arena

yeah i know good is a subjective quality

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I hope Blackrock injects some more deck variance at the lower levels. Playing against an unending swarm of mech rush is extremely tiresome.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

sonatinas posted:

Where did you see this?

I want to say reddit, but I can't find it now. Someone was being cheeky saying they were playtesting an app for an LCG for FFG but they couldn't say more and from the context it definitely seemed like it was netrunner.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tollymain posted:

Caylus, Tash-Kalar, Puerto Rico are well-designed games with good implementations that I like.

Race for the Galaxy, Stone Age, Seasons, Hanabi are okay but flawed games that are implemented servicably on BGA. Race has a much better implementation in a standalone program version, but Race has more flaws than any other game in this post.

Through the Ages is a better than okay but still flawed game that has a much better implementation on a different site.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Broken Loose posted:

Race has more flaws than any other game in this post.

Race's only flaw is that I played the standalone version too much and now nobody will play it with me in person.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Race is a fine game if you're not congenitally unlucky. I wouldn't play it on BGA though unless you desperately want to play the base set against randoms.

Bubble-T posted:

I'll take a key. I have to see what "The best parts of StarCraft and Hearthstone" amounts to.

Turns out this means the limited abilities of Hearthstone somehow combined with the unnecessary clicking of StarCraft, quite an achievement. I'll give it a bit more time but man, it gives a bad first impression.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 1, 2015

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Impermanent posted:

I really don't know what to say to people saying Hearthstone isn't competitive. The competitive scene in alive and well and they have major tournaments with cash prizes - it's not as though the game doesn't support that level of play. If you've been out for a year, give it a shot - a lot of stuff has changed and there are far fewer topdecks that can steal a game completely.

There are tournaments and competitive scenes for a lot of games that aren't really well suited for it. Like, the existence of a competitive scene doesn't automatically justify its existence, that kind of thinking is very circular if you catch my drift. I don't actually have an opinion on Hearthstone specifically due to having never played it and not really wanting to since collectible card games aren't my jam, but kinda just wanted to put that out there.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

There are tournaments and competitive scenes for a lot of games that aren't really well suited for it. Like, the existence of a competitive scene doesn't automatically justify its existence, that kind of thinking is very circular if you catch my drift. I don't actually have an opinion on Hearthstone specifically due to having never played it and not really wanting to since collectible card games aren't my jam, but kinda just wanted to put that out there.

That's a good point, but the competitive scene in Hearthstone is reasonably healthy. Decks change, the meta shifts, and in general games tend to come down to how a deck is played, not RNG. That being said, there are still RNG elements that are frustrating - a perfect opener by an aggressive deck and a terrible draw by a control deck usually ends with a dead control deck no matter what else happens. These are relatively rare events due to the mulligan rules. But if you have BL's luck I suppose they would happen commonly enough to sour you on the game.

I wish Netrunner had an online app - it scratches the same itch as Hearthstone does for me but better. It's just impossible for me to justify sinking the kind of money that the game needs in order to play it with just a few people once a week. I can play Hearthstone while doing countless other things because the game is so easy to find players for.

Board games reallty need to undergo their own sort of digital connectivity revolution. They offer a lot of strong, powerful systems and lessons that are somehow continually ignored by video game industry types.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Tollymain posted:

I'm playing a few games of Quantum at once, which helps even out the luck of who gets first dibs on gambits. The Tash Kalar implementation seems good. Tzolkin looks fun and I plan on getting crushed in a few learning games.

Lots of good in there.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The best game on BGA is Can't Stop.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I got to play some ladder-elimination Bandu recently and it was super :buddy:

I think I kind of have a thing for dexterity games.

I am now off to design a dexterity-based literal worker-placement gimmick game for my own private amusement.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/72116-Mage-Knight-Board-Game-Shades-of-Tezla-Expansion-Set.pdf

:f5:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Tollymain posted:

Troyes owns bones.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I hope the new enemies are scenario specific because MK doesn't need any more enemy bloat.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

:aaaaa:

This sounds incredible

cenotaph posted:

I hope the new enemies are scenario specific because MK doesn't need any more enemy bloat.

I'd hope they're an entirely new creature type or two, with 32 new tokens. Or straight-up replacements for one of the sets.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

hnggggg

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Boardgamegeek thread says the new enemy tokens are all for the two new evil wizardgangs the new scenarios are based around. I'm pretty pumped for this.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bubble-T posted:

Turns out this means the limited abilities of Hearthstone somehow combined with the unnecessary clicking of StarCraft, quite an achievement. I'll give it a bit more time but man, it gives a bad first impression.

Yeah, to me it means "the solved build orders of high-level Starcraft" combined with "the massive 2P advantage of Hearthstone." Prismata lacks bluffing, fog of war abuse, creative unit use, counter-techs for existing units, scouting, map control, and pretty much every other good thing about RTSes while still having all the bad parts like unit micro, resource micro, inability to recover from behind, false choices, and so on.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I enjoy Kemet, I enjoy teaching new players Kemet...I don't think I've introduced it to anyone at Tuesday Boardgaming Night At The Game Store yet who doesn't dig it...but I'm gonna be honest, I look forward to the day that I get to actually finish a game of Kemet in the advertised 90 minutes. Still, I came closer than I have to winning this time, eight VP at the end. Just not enough to keep the last player from scoring a battle victory and claiming his second temple to end the day with nine.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I think I've hit the 90 minute mark after 4 or so games with the same group (4 players). It's basically impossible unless everyone has internalized the upgrade tiles and goes into the game with a plan.

Rutibex posted:

You think that's bad try getting a game of Mage Wars going :smithicide:

A friend of mine was about to buy this last week, but saner heads (his girlfriend) prevailed. As much as I'd like to gesticulate and shout spell names like a madman, I was feeling too guilty to press him into buying the game because no one would play with him more than once, .

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yatzee and chess are on bga... ;)

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Lorini posted:

The Hearthstone GDT thread believes there is plenty of diversity in the highest ranks of the game. I think I'm staying with it. I went and looked at one of Magic threads here (Eternal) and the OP said you need $700 to play that type of Magic. gently caress that, it's simply ridiculous.

Tempo is a thing in both Magic and Heartstone and is one of the main reasons people enjoy the games.

I don't want to labour the point too much, but in fairness eternal is pretty much the most expensive way to play Magic. It'd be like deciding to buy a car, looking up the price of a Ferrari and deciding all cars are too expensive.

Having said that, playing competitively in tournaments is expensive even if you just play standard (the most popular format with cards just from the last two years). If you just want to play casually with friends/family, you could easily get by with a fraction of that cost.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Fat Samurai posted:

I think I've hit the 90 minute mark after 4 or so games with the same group (4 players). It's basically impossible unless everyone has internalized the upgrade tiles and goes into the game with a plan.

Yeah, that's what I figured. My own turns generally go pretty quick but I'm not spending most of my time reading through a printout of tiles and cards.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:eyepop:
I don't care whats in the box I want more Mage Knight gimmie!

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Anyone who has been playtesting a Netrunner app needs to wait for April 2nd to spill the beans. Way too many shenanigans today. I don't believe anything anyone says for the next 24 hours.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
I don't care whats in the box I want more Mage Knight gimmie!

I had just packed the first expansion into the base game box :negative:

On the other hand, more Mage Knight :woop:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

There is a netrunner app sorta. You can play jinteki.net in a mobile browser. Not all cards are automated, but they have been working on it steadily.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I won't believe this Mage Knight news until it is verified again tomorrow.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Didn't they already announce it though?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I would probably pay for Mage Knight a second time if they made a web-based version that enforced all the rules. I'd probably even buy it if it were only solo play.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

homullus posted:

I would probably pay for Mage Knight a second time if they made a web-based version that enforced all the rules. I'd probably even buy it if it were only solo play.

But if it enforced the rules I would know how horribly wrong I have been this whole time :ohdear:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

:gonk: :gonk: :gonk: SWAMP HAG :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Hireling is...interesting...

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I'm actually comparing it in my head to Ascension's All-Seeing Eye.

The 6 price point in Dominion is a lot more important than Ascension's, and I think that it's not only priced appropriately, but since there's no way to instantaneously get it into play, it might be too late by the time you get there! I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It doesn't work with Band of Misfits :(