Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Finally got to play The Manager in WWWRPG. Highlights:

-The Charisma-free technical wrestler opining, on his chances of victory: "I've been in this business a long time. Even though it was in England."

-My manager responding to a sexist commentator by leaning in, and yelling into his mic "If you dislike women so much, why ya been married eight times?"
--And then using his line "I hate those drat greasers!" as the stinger for their new theme song.

-The backstage interviewer sticking her mic in the technician's face again, saying "I bet the crowd here in, Denver Colorado, would will enjoy this match." To which he responded, "Yeah, same as anywhere I guess."

In kayfabe, Eastern Championship Wrestling bought The Western Federation. During the roster shuffle, everyone was worried about losing their spot and being fired.

The show opened with a Jack Deere vignette; he was a hot-shot Texan that the fans were wild for.

Tawni (who manages "Her Boyfriend", Snakebite) absolutely incensed the crowd in Denver, Colorado. The pair beat high flyer Sparrow after a match amazing for two things:
--Snakebite's breakaway jeans and t-shirt, which he wore over River High wrestling gear:
--The absolutely ludicrous amount of cheating Tawni did.

Backstage, "Tawni" (AKA Lorraine) asked Sam how he felt about her performance, but he, not getting the hint, said he was stretching and planning his own match for later.

Sam later won his four way match, partially due to one of the competitors being ambushed backstage by DEMON MAN!

Demon Man took on Jack Deere in the main event. Demon went off script, hitting Jack with a chairshot and pinning him. Lorraine and "Sam" (real first name) congratulated him on his win, before Jack came backstage and started screaming about the ending.

Lorraine calmed down Deere, telling him Demon was just another Eastern clown. Why didn't Jack talk to the boss and feud with Snakebite instead? She'd gotten a hell of a reaction!

Sam looked on, British and amused, as Tawni jumped her guy from opening act to main eventer.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Our dungeon world campaign finished this week:

The party discovered, over the course of the campaign, that two [gods/factions/powers] had been debating for [time], and had created everything they knew to settle a question. Once the Question was settled, the Powers would have no further use for reality, and it would end. That question was the source of every significant act in their post-mage-nuclear-war world, and was what the arch-mages had been fighting about. This was a question so poweful that The Mastermind (a PC who died) had devoted all his eeeevil scheming and diabolical planning towards that end.

The party eventually came across an area of spiky monoliths and massive forboding, and the inscription: This place is not a place of honor...no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here. What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger. On basic principle, we had to poke it, otherwise someone else would.

That place was where the final answer to the Question would be given. The ubermages had worked together to keep this place from mortal hands, and the party raced two seperate armies there. Being PCs, and thus having the problem solving abilities of a sack of cats, they 'decided' (or at least, claimed so) that the only solution was to flip the table, to refuse the basic concept of the (still unknown) Question so that their world would carry on. Answering the question, whatever it was, would be an instant apocalypse, game over. No matter our feelings, we had to either make the Powers compromise, or refute the premise.

After making their way through the defence system, a labyrinth of alternate-thems, the characters stumbled into a small, fairly nondescript room: The Last Gauntlet. Two animated chess-kings endlessly circling, who spoke to the party:

"We created this reality, and the ones before it, to [test/debate/argue] a single question: can one man change the world?"

At least two of the players blurted 'Yes!'

:ughh:

We escaped in the Reality-Ark we looted on the way, but the party ended reality due to a slip of the mouth.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 29, 2015

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I'm reasonably inexperienced with roleplaying and D&D in general. I had a level 5 cleric in a 3.5e game that we ended because 5e came out and the DM wanted to try it out. We added another player who was completely new to D&D and gaming in general, and started up at level 1.

Our party:

Aerandir Sergon: Half Elf Rogue with probable PTSD and a penchant for being a terrible shot. Played by a guy who forgets that d20 games tend to use the d20.
Aryan Silverford: High Elf Wizard who will read anything at any time if he thinks it may contain knowledge. Also slightly racist. Played buy a guy who loves to powergame, but doesn't try to rules lawyer.
Nine Wolf Tails: Human Druid with terrible hygiene and a propensity for using Thunderwave with party members in range. Played by the DM's brother.
Kildrak Battlehammer, III: Dwarf Fighter who is really good at taking at hit, especially Thunderwave. Played by the completely new guy.
Duncan Lamar: Human Cleric of Pelor who is incredibly wise but also kind of stupid. Described by the DM as Forrest Gump. Played by me.

We start off in a keep where my character lives, and everyone else is visiting or stuck there for various reasons. We get our plot hook about ghouls and goblins starting poo poo in some caves upriver. The party sets off, has a random encounter or two, and finds a group of abandoned buildings. We got jumped outside by some goblin outriders, but handily destroy them in DM frustrating fashion, without them ever landing a hit, and me rolling max damage on a Guiding Bolt to the leader's face.

We eventually find a paradise-like garden in one of the buildings with a pristine fountain, radiating obvious magical enchantment, with no sign of disturbance by the goblins or the skeletons we found in a barracks. My cleric is able to determine that the garden is dedicated to a Good diety, but not which one, and that the fountain is safe to drink from. The druid takes a swig and immediately gains +2 HP permanently. I, of course, rush to drink when I see him bolstered by it, make my roll, and promptly lose 2 Strength. This is the first sign in this game that the DM is going to screw with me. Everyone else drinks, the wizard gains 2 Intellect, the fighter gains 1 Strength, and the Rogue gains +1 to EVERYTHING. In fairness, we all rolled different results on a d8, and the DM had the results on a list before anyone rolled, but I still suspect he fudged mine.

We find a crypt with a scary looking blob statue of some horrible god, find secret doors to further inside the complex, convince an ogre that the goblins outside were definitely going to steal all his stuff and murder him, even though they were "friends", trap him outside after closing the secret door he was too stupid to find, and rescue an NPC dwarf barbarian named Gareth Ironhands, who was forced to work under the complex forging weapons for the goblins to go to war. He's pretty upset about this, and tends to get a bit murderous when fighting goblinoids.

At this point, the hobgoblins, goblins, and bugbears in the central room of the complex are made aware of our existence when the fighter rolls a 1 when trying to move quietly, tripping and slamming into the door a goblin was opening. The goblin tries to slam it back shut, effectively trapping the fighter, and initiating combat. Now is when we found out that the DM didn't quite get the nuances of the new challenge rating system, when our party of six level one characters go up agains two bugbears, five hobgoblins, and at least ten goblins. I lost count.

We eventually won the battle, but not before the DM and I had an exchange that went roughly like this:

DM: The hobgoblin uses his Martial Advantage to hit you. He does :rolldice: 18 damage.
Me: I'm dead.
DM: What, like, knocked out and bleeding?
Me: No, totally dead. I have 8 total hit points.
DM: He does... 17 damage?
Me: Still dead.
DM: 16?
Me: Dead.
DM: 15?
Me: Mostly dead.
DM: He does 15 damage.

We blockade the secret door into the complex and the door downstairs, and take a long rest so I can stop being mostly dead. We then proceed down through the complex, murdering anything in our way, convince the DM that finesse weapons should probably follow the rules in the new edition if we want the rogue to ever do damage, which of course means the goblins now also follow those rules, which made things a bit scarier.

We clear out this complex, destroy the weapons and supplies the goblins had left behind, and on the way to the goblin king's throne room, everyone except the rogue, who dodges, and me, who stays in the back due to my high passive perception, tumble down a slide into caves. The elf sprains his ankle, the rogue and I slide down unharmed, and we proceed to be sort-of-lost-but-not-really-because-dwarfs in the caves for three days. We eventually find a way out, with the caveat that there are twelve skeletons and three "robed men" in the way, digging for something.

The druid rushes in, Thunderwaves 3/4s of the enemies, killing several skeletons who were slammed into the walls, proceeds to get taken out and roll natural 20s on his death save four times, and no one else even gets touched.

We walk outside to see a cave dotted valley, swarming with goblins and robed men, clearly preparing for war.

Next time: Don't throw rocks in strange pools.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I almost forgot to post up last week's notes from my Lets Play! DnD 5th Live campaign I'm (trying to) air live every Monday. In Session 5, the party had just basically discovered that their old eccentric friend was really a dragon, and now they're back trying to discover who blew up the major Council leaders three days ago. Their detective work is filled with finesse and sound logic.

Session 6

• The Party begins where they were dropped off by Van and Lady Tiana: the Minor House of Magic and Casting.

• Most of the party decides to research in the library (using Baralor’s membership to access the stacks). Tristan makes progress in discovering information about defeating demons and regaining control of souls -- a demon must be killed on its home plane or you must know its true name.

• Cain discovered (researching in the common events/census section) that two major political players (Stein Forgestone and Danton Chervich) were suspiciously NOT present in the Council Chambers when the Council Massacre went down.

• Keenan tries to sneak off into the Minor House of Magic and Casting, but gets detected, and turned around by a magical security system.

• He goes outside in a huff, and sees an advertisement that proclaims Malachi the Mighty (their wayward party member that disappeared for two weeks) is apparently performing circus tricks down at the docks.

• The rest of the party comes out, after Investigating, and find Malachi in some sort of makeshift wooden ring in the Red Zone (slightly-lawless section) of the docks.

• Malachi is being managed by a tall, red-cloaked fellow (the Ring Leader) with sharp teeth. Malachi claims that he doesn’t know the party.

• The Party begins to settle into the crowd to see how this will turn out, Keenan manages to sneak up as a spider and talk to Malachi.

• Malachi regains control long enough to mumble something about mind control and smashing a large glass jug the Ring Leader has tied to his belt.

• As Keenan sneaks his way off to the second story of a nearby alehouse, Cain raises some rabble.

• Cain tells some merchant marines that the Ring Leader’s guards were talking trash about their mom.

• The MMs get pretty ticked and start pushing and shoving the guards (who look suspiciously not human).

• Woodsy makes a solid shot with his bow, and snipes the bottle on the Ring Leader’s belt. It’s only enough to knock a hole in it.

• A full fledged fight breaks out. Seeing Keenan take a shot at the Ring Leader, Cain hops in the ring, bounces against the ropes, and spears the Ring Leader directly into the turnbuckle, then engages in a test of strength.

• Reeling from the blow, the Ring Leader turns out to be a demon! As soon as he loses control of his illusion, his thugs lose control as well and transform into their true form: vile dretches!

• The demons fight back, going toe to toe with the outnumbered Merchant Marines. Meanwhile the Party dogpiles into the Ring Leader, nailing him with spells and roughing him up on the turnbuckle. Cain slaps the Ring Leader in the chest and RL howls with pain!

• As he does this his head jerks back, and then gets taken clean off with a well-aimed shot of Eldritch Blast.

• Cain pins the Ring Leader for a three count, bounces on one rope, runs across and high-fives Tristan, bounces again, then launches over the ropes in a corkscrew suicide dive aimed at the severely injured dretches who are currently being pummeled by the merchant marines.

• Arcing over the ropes in a death-defying move, Cain KO’s all three dretches with his dive maneuver!

• One Merchant Marine, inspired, grabs the last dretch, hoists him in the air, then ends the foul demons life with a brutal backbreaker!

• After the last demon falls the crowd, thinking this to be just a show, throws gold at the party! Soon, the ring begins to fade away (an illusion cast by the Ring Leader), and the demons’ bodies evaporate into ash.

• The Ring Leader’s body leaves behind a faint imprint of soot that looks like a glyph. Baralor reads it and understands the Ring Leader’s true name (Narkl’lesthet).

• The Redguard comes to breakup the show, Tristan convinces them to move on. Before the Redguard leave, they tell the party to clean up their junk from out of the street.

• Turning around, the party see that the Ring Leader’s loot (magically hidden before) has reappeared! They race over, but Keenan and Cain reach it first, receiving the top picks.

• They drop an item out with their overeagerness, which Sven grabs (a +1 crossbow).

• The party splits at this point, going to hunt down further leads. Cain and Tristan head back to the Yellow Zone, going to check out Stein and Chervich’s alibi.

• Cain and Tristan (mostly Cain) has a pleasant conversation mostly in dwarvish about Stein’s absence from the Full Council Meeting.

• Stein discloses that he was gone to drum up support in the nearby town of Mercel. He is worried that corporation overreach will happen any day, and he wants to be sure he can bring in muscle, should the need arise.

• Stein points out that one person who would have a lot to gain by more corporate power, would be Danton -- who is pushing through legislation that would cement full corporate control in one single house.

• Cain and Tristan arrive at the Minor House of Parchment and Quills to acost Danton. Seeing an “out to dinner” sign hanging, Cain decides to wait.

• Tristan attempts to summon his familiar Sinclair and (nat 20) succeeds in reconnecting with his brother’s projection as a blood hawk!

• Sinclair phases through the building and jimmies open the front door.

• Seeing the door open, Cain waltzes in, then lets Tristan in through the back loading dock.

• They traipse upstairs to Danton’s locked office. Cain fails the lockpicking once, then critically fails (nat 1), breaks the lockpick and sets off the glyphed alarm.

• Kicking the door down, Cain rushes in, grabs what he can from Danton’s desk, then jumps through the second story window and starts bolting down the back alley.

• Tristan disguises himself as a member of the Redguard that he once talked to and meets the guards, telling them that the thief is getting away!

• The Redguard cops kill the alarm and corner Cain in the back alley.

• Tristan changes back to his normal face, then throws the sound of the alarm back in the building. He then just sits right next to the building (for some reason) and gets arrested.

• Cain shows the cops his Council pass, the Sgt tells Cain to wait for backup to arrive so they can square everything away.

• Cain decides instead to make a run for it, and gets shot up pretty bad with crossbow bolts for his trouble.

• Jahn arrives and starts wheeling and dealing, trying to free the PCs (who are his agents trying to solve the Council Massacre) only for Danton to show up and insist that he’s pressing charges.

• Jahn convinces the Sgt (and Danton) that charges can be pressed, but he insists on bringing Tristan and Cain back to the Council’s private holding chambers for debriefing. The Sgt agrees and Cain and Tristan are hauled off to the Council drunk tank.

• MEANWHILE the rest of the party (Baralor, Keenan, Malachi, and Sven) go to the Hallows (a massive graveyard for the middle-class/poor supposedly run by a death cult). Their old buddy Sly (see session 2) is supposedly holed up here.

• Arriving at sunset, the Party wanders around the darkened, creepy burial center and ends up next to a massive pit of corpses waiting to be interned. They see an emaciated monk leading a malnutritioned nag down to the pit, pulling dead bodies.

• The Party demands that the Revealer (the name of the death cultists) “reveal” to them the location of Sly. The cultist is unphased and goes about his business, dumping bodies into the pit.

• Keenan waits until the cultist is on the edge of the pit, then he boots the cultist in, 300 style.

• Landing into the 30ft pit on a pile of bony bodies, the cultist moans with pain.

• Keenan (rolling rather well) points out that by being close to death, one grows closer to the final Revealing. The cultist mulls this over (still in the pit) then mumbles in agreement.

• Almost getting the information they want, the Party is interrupted by a revealer Head Matron, flanked with six other cultists. She is coming to do the last rites (final Revealing) over the mass grave.

• The matron is cross that the party is injuring her acolyte, but overall grateful for the “good work” (aka killing) the party does to keep her holy land (cemetery) filled.

• The party gets aggressive, but the matron keeps her cool: telling them she will gladly tell them where Sly is hiding, if they do one easy job for her.

• The Matron says that a priestess of their order has stolen something important: a femur etched with holy Revealer scripture.

• This relic and the priestess must be returned intact so the priestess can be reintegrated into the fold.

• Annoyed and slightly creeped out, the party begrudgingly agrees.

• Keenan tries to take the young acolyte (the one he kicked into the body pit) with them to help out, but the matron insists that he must be disciplined for speaking out of turn to infidels.

• With that, the party follows the matron’s direction, trucking out to the mausoleum/crypt section (where most the the middle class are buried).

• They walk down a forgotten path and end up in an alleyway of towering, 25 foot crypts. Several hundred yards in front of them stands an ancient crypt, half overgrown, with its heavy stone door ajar. From within the party hears the sound of a woman wailing.

• DUN DUN DUN!
Bonus: Fan Art from some cool dude (or dudette) who watched our Twitch cast. This is a quick sketch of the fabulous dock-side wrasslin' match:

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Last session of my zany wild-west RPG I'm running in 13th age, I decided I wanted to kick off the new season with a prison escape. It gave me a chance to introduce the big-bad, a intra-denominational demon thing who sits on a floating throne.

So after an ambush I plopped them down in a prison in an island in the middle of a crater that has acid all around it (yes, it's the boiling rock from Avatar). I didn't have any specific plans for escape, but I put in metal cages ("coolers" or "hot boxes") they could have used as boats, and a gondola.

Shazara (Gnome Wizard Con-man): "I demand to see my lawyer!"
Frank Whitehead (Human Commander/former Pinkerton type guy): "I also demand to see my lawyer" (points to Shazra)

While in their cell the dwarf cleric hears a converstion between two guards. One basicly saying he's pissed at the Cleric because the party basically helped form a soul-based ponzi scheme that made a bunch of people from this dimention poor, and he was going to take it out on him. He goes in, and shuts the shutter. "I need some privacy". He then turns to Doc. "Now then" he takes off his helmet. "About that beer I owe ya." Yep, it's "Barney" Fortner.(Actually the second time he used this line [See Episode 16, "'I have a plan'"] , I couldn't resist and I wanted someone on the inside to give the party more movement freedom)

Whitehead: "Remember when Fornter was just a wide-eyed idealist who was tricked into killing some of his own people?" [See ep. 5 "The Great Train shenanigans"] (Though that was the 5th session, about 7 months ago in real time, and about 2 years in-game time)

They set the kitchen on fire (but not after the PCs describing all the terrible food they find like Lutafisk, Century eggs, etc.), distracting the guards and incapacitating them with a well-placed home-alone style grease trap. They unlocked the doors, and start a riot and get out on the gondola. They get to the outer ring of the island only to find a dragon between them and the blimp landing pad. A dragon who's made of metal and is venting steam. They beat it pretty easily (and with one player at a lower level) and they sail off.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Starting up a Rogue Trader game, and I've never had so much fun making characters before, especially whenever I'm the one GMing. Regular game was off, and that one is finishing up before we start, but half the players came round anyway for a chat and a few drinks.

Rogue Trader Ramirez, former Hive Worlder with 58 Fellowship, making him supremely charismatic. Ceremoniously kicked off planet for being the most annoying son of a bitch to ever exist, given a Warrant and a tiny ship. Since then he has accumulated a small retinue of Best Quality mercs, and swapped out his old ship for The Demiurge - an ancient heavy frigate that he pulled out of a Space Hulk. On the ship he acquired the first of the other PC's, an independent Ygmarl genestealer, Blood of Bone aka first Boarding Officer.

With this new crew aptitude, the ship was retrofitted with a ramming prow, murder servitors, and a grappling cannon, in addition to existing barracks and helm makes them A++ at boarding and hit-and-run. The choice to not arm the ship was made willingly, and with enthusiasm.
Ramirez then employed the Firefly method of recruiting to pick up more Officers - he parked his ship and sat outside twirling a parasol.

Thus we picked up another two of our crewmembers - a Techpriest who wants to stuff chaos artefacts inside himself, and a fringeworld Priest (probably not confirmed, player has already made another character based entirely around Hallucinogens and grenades).
Still to figure out how they joined, we have an Eldar Farseer in training, called Peach, and possibly a sniper of some sort if the player doesn't flake out before/after the first session.

Plan of action is Katamari Spaceship Dynasty - grapple/impale ships, board them, and either steal the ship wholesale or use the Techpriest's platoon of tech acolytes to nab the nice bits and weld them to their own ship.
I am looking forward to it immensely.

Edit: Almost forgot - all 20 of Ramirez' mercs were named, or given nicknames, and the remainder of the NPC crew were given Titles rather than names.
The current pilot aka "The Bastard", may or may not be an orc freebooter. It's incidental, as all pilots are required to give up their previous identity and don the mask of The Bastard - it never comes off, and thus has grown thicker over the years with the faces of successive wearers.
The Navigator is "Richard Attenborough", for reasons that I'm sure were clear at the time. Their main Astropath is "Karen", because that seems like a good secretary name, and they wanted to be able to tell their Astropath to hold all psychic space calls as per standard secretary stuff.
Seneshal/Space Accountant/Lawyer is Cyborg Throneburg, the future-space version of our lawyer from another game, Alfred Pennyburg. In possession of a fine legal mind and an attention to detail, he may just be an exceptionally well-programmed servitor, no-one can really tell.

You may have also noticed that half the crew are Psykers, or intend to become Pyskers through evolution/nabbing xenos artefacts, so I took the preparative measure of printing out the psychic phenomena/perils of the warp tables onto one handy reference sheet, since that'll doubtlessly be needed.

Ambi fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 31, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We're doing a storyarc where our warlock's pact is becoming unstable and creates random magic effects, so I made a short effects table mostly cribbed from various wild magic surge tables. I included some pure fluff effects and some minor mechanical ones, but so far, every other time the random effects have come up it landed, without fail, on "you become 1d10 years younger." She's gone from a woman in her 40s to a spry twentysomething.

I'd originally included that effect only to have a small chance at something good happening, but now that I think about it, if this happens another time or two, things are gonna get really interesting...

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

My Lovely Horse posted:

We're doing a storyarc where our warlock's pact is becoming unstable and creates random magic effects, so I made a short effects table mostly cribbed from various wild magic surge tables. I included some pure fluff effects and some minor mechanical ones, but so far, every other time the random effects have come up it landed, without fail, on "you become 1d10 years younger." She's gone from a woman in her 40s to a spry twentysomething.

I'd originally included that effect only to have a small chance at something good happening, but now that I think about it, if this happens another time or two, things are gonna get really interesting...

Maybe she's born with it, maybe she signed a blood pact with a demon

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

:drat:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Guildencrantz posted:

Maybe she's born with it, maybe she signed a blood pact with a demon

I ran a Pathfinder game a while back, and the party met the NPC queen of an island nation. She was the beautiful, beloved queen of an island paradise. All of her people were happy and prosperous and hospitable, and she seemed to be much the same. This Riza from Star Trek: party time spring break drug and sex planet. Her people were sheltered from the outside world, though, and had the belief that rulers were akin to gods, and gods do not die. To them, their queen's immortality was just natural. To the party it was... less convincing. The queen turned out to be a lich using powerful magic to conceal her true identity, and routinely taking offerings from her willing subjects to serve as "temple maidens" in her palace (where they would be promptly consumed for their delicious souls). When the party found that out, they wasted her, much to the chagrin of her people.

Unfortunately, the party's gnome alchemist had already slept with her before he found out she was 2,000 years old and undead. Whoops. The party never let him live it down.

Edit: the gnome maintained that the party was being "ageist," and that he had come to terms with the fact that he made it with "the ultimate cougar."

Railing Kill fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 1, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Railing Kill posted:

Edit: the gnome maintained that the party was being "ageist," and that he had come to terms with the fact that he made it with "the ultimate cougar."
Is it bad that now, I really want to include a minor enemy in a game that's a large mountain lion that only attacks men in their early 20s?

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Do it. Once the party puts two and two together, they'll be dying!

E: phone posting. Spellung iz hard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

One more random event happened before she could lift the curse. 14 now. :D

e:
"Is it reversible?"
"Technically, yes."

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

e:
"Is it reversible?"
"Technically, yes."

Dang. I was hoping for one more. Then we could deal with the warrior princess.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

e:
"Is it reversible?"
"Technically, yes."
This is starting to sound like the backstory to a horrible anime :gonk:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

e:
"Is it reversible?"

"How long do you have?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

This is starting to sound like the backstory to a horrible anime :gonk:
Pretty much what the bard said when the otyugh showed up minutes later.

e: that same session they got trapped in a dreamworld, fortunately they know a friendly dream shaman who told them, okay, this is bad, but I'll join up with you and show you how to get out. Just do one thing first - find a safe place. Something where we can hide from nightmares and won't be disturbed.

Which they did.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 6, 2015

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Totally off the subject, but why is the crescent moon carved into outhouse doors?

It's so ubiquitous that put a crescent shape on any door and people will understand the outhouse reference. Why is that?

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Agrikk posted:

Totally off the subject, but why is the crescent moon carved into outhouse doors?

It's so ubiquitous that put a crescent shape on any door and people will understand the outhouse reference. Why is that?

The way I heard it was that a moon meant ladies and a sun meant gents. The moon gave more privacy so eventually it became the norm. I have no clue how accurate any of that is.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
It seems that it all dates back to some cartoonist drawing it that way and it just sort of sticking. Actual historical outhouses had cutouts in the door for light, but they came in a wide variety of shapes. The Men/Women Sun/Moon thing is most likely just an urban legend.

WARNING: This is entirely taken from a few minutes on Wikipedia spawned from idle curiosity

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Kaza42 posted:

It seems that it all dates back to some cartoonist drawing it that way and it just sort of sticking. Actual historical outhouses had cutouts in the door for light, but they came in a wide variety of shapes. The Men/Women Sun/Moon thing is most likely just an urban legend.

WARNING: This is entirely taken from a few minutes on Wikipedia spawned from idle curiosity

My family came from Kentucky, and back home there are a fair few relatives who still have outhouses on their property, although most are converted to storage now. About half of them have moons, for one reason; it's easy to cut out a moon and not gently caress it up. You try for a sun but don't get it right, you have a cock-eyed mutant egg on the door, but a crescent is just two quick curves with the most space between them in the middle. a couple minutes with a saw and boom, done. You've got your shithouse light/air hole.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Byers2142 posted:

My family came from Kentucky, and back home there are a fair few relatives who still have outhouses on their property, although most are converted to storage now. About half of them have moons, for one reason; it's easy to cut out a moon and not gently caress it up. You try for a sun but don't get it right, you have a cock-eyed mutant egg on the door, but a crescent is just two quick curves with the most space between them in the middle. a couple minutes with a saw and boom, done. You've got your shithouse light/air hole.

Eeeeeeewwwwwwww

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
They tend to be portable. A common prank in rural areas around here was to tip 'em over on Hallowe'en night.

A common preemptive prank was to move 'em back five feet and cover the hole with a tarp, then wait for the first group.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Fun fact! In medieval Europe, the garderobe, a toilet cubicle that basically dumped your dump down the outside of the castle walls, was also used to store clothes, in the belief that ammonia would protect from fleas.

That fact was not very fun. I apologize.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dareon posted:

Fun fact! In medieval Europe, the garderobe, a toilet cubicle that basically dumped your dump down the outside of the castle walls, was also used to store clothes, in the belief that ammonia would protect from fleas.

That fact was not very fun. I apologize.

This is why everyone stands aside when royalty goes past.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bieeardo posted:

They tend to be portable. A common prank in rural areas around here was to tip 'em over on Hallowe'en night.

A common preemptive prank was to move 'em back five feet and cover the hole with a tarp, then wait for the first group.
Rural pranks are the best pranks.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Apocalypse World, second session of a game with five players. Players are currently split up into three groups - the Driver is off by himself heading towards the starting town in his uparmored murderbus to finish a job, the Operator and the Hocus are heading away from the town in the company of a former reporter named 'Bad News' in a tricked-out combat newsvan, and the Juggernaut is doing a job for a local biker gang while the Brainer secretly spies on him.

As the MC, I was jumping back and forth between all three areas in sequence and there was cool stuff happening all around, but I want to focus on one in particular:

For those of you who don't play AW, the Juggernaut is a character class consisting of a weak nerd with no combat skills who gets a gigantic suit of powered armor, which the Juggernaut is nearly unstoppable while inside, provided it works. As long as the Jugg is in their suit, and the suit is working, they get to make most of their combat rolls with Sharp (the intelligence stat) instead of Hard (the fighty stat), and get some other bonuses on top of it. This player, on creation, made his power armor a former construction loader that he's just completely covered in makeshift scrap-metal armor, turning it into a vaguely-humanoid pile of rusty garbage. He gave it the 'Unstoppable' advantage (wherever he wants to go in that suit, he will go, eventually), the 'Breaks Down Frequently' disadvantage, a power fist, a flamethrower, and a special move that lets him bash through walls and other barriers in the suit.

This particular Jugg, who we'll call :awesomelon:, makes his living primarily by being the Kool-Aid Man for hire. Pay him and he'll go along with your gang of unfriendly men and smash down doors or walls for them. This is what he found himself doing on this job, helping his employers assault a rival gang's stronghold (specifically, they hired him to break down the front gate; this will be relevant in a moment). :awesomelon: easily makes the roll to bash down the gate, and this happens:

:rolldice:: Okay, you're in, but immediately you notice something unexpected on the other side of the gate. What is it?
:awesomelon:: There's nobody there!

So this fort is completely loving empty (made me a bit sad, as I had planned to get the player into a cool fight so he could get a chance to play with the combat abilities he gave himself, but sometimes you have to roll with the punches). About a dozen bikers start sweeping the place looking for enemies, :awesomelon: tags along and batters down a few more doors for them. He finds a suspicious-looking package, makes some good rolls, and identifies it as a gigantic bomb rigged to blow the entire place to pieces very soon.

:awesomelon:: I calmly turn around and exit the building.
:rolldice:: Uh....do you warn anyone?
:awesomelon:: They hired me to break down the gate, I broke down the gate. I silently leave and walk back to town to collect my payment.

He leaves, building explodes behind him, fast-forward to the biker gang's camp, where the remnants of the gang are clearly agitated.

:black101:, biker-chief NPC (paraphrased): The gently caress happened, tin man?
:awesomelon:: I opened the door. I believe we agreed upon [bunch of nice poo poo] as payment?

Everyone gets pissed off, there are heated words, :awesomelon: spools up his weapons and, thanks to some ridiculously good rolls and a giant flamethrower, successfully intimidates the reduced biker gang into actually paying him for the job. He surveys their valuables looking for suitable payment, then...picks up one of their bikes, slings it over his shoulder, says 'this will do nicely', and walks away.

I was going to have them turn into an antagonist group later as a result of that, except that later in the same session, the Hocus and the Operator encountered the same gang, immediately took a liking to the NPCs, and convinced the surviving bikers to tag along with their caravan, so now I've got a pair of PCs with 8 bikers tooling around with them who happen to violently hate one of the other PCs. Should be fun when they all converge on the same location next session.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
In Eclipse Phase, our band of misfits accidentally lured a lot of Tong gangsters to one of Firewall's bases. It was a lab which maintained a front as a small on-demand research corporation, while doing secret conspiracy stuff, I guess. Well, we ended up having a good old fashioned street shootout with the Tong with bullets, missiles, drones and plasma flying everywhere, cars being wrecked in the street and a general sense of mayhem. We also found out that you can shoot a plasma cannon through cheap internal walls.

All but one Tong was captured alive (this is a medical research lab after all :mrgw:), we got the goods we were after and figured out the next stage of the plot. Unfortunately, even after the police took their cursory report, the top-secret Firewall base was essentially besieged by camera drones from various news outlets and bloggers. This is pretty unacceptable when you're trying to get around undetected between high-speed chases and warehouse shootouts.

So, between myself and our new uplifted octopus comrade, we pooled our skills and managed to divert attention from our base onto other scandals and events. I protected the conspiracy through shitposting on forums.

The teammate with the plasma cannon is also a middle-manager at a transport company, he is facing disciplinary action due to his incredible mismanagement and bullying regarding the two corporate underlings who are supposed to be handling things while he goes on secret space adventures. Mr Lackeyson has been transferred to a different manager already while Larry Larry (there was an unfortunate forking incident) has received a raise and being used as a living shield to block further corporate meetings.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Bates posted:

I was going to have them turn into an antagonist group later, ... [but] now I've got a pair of PCs with 8 bikers tooling around with them who happen to violently hate one of the other PCs. Should be fun when they all converge on the same location next session.

i fail to see how these are mutually exclusive :unsmigghh:

really though, apocalypse world's big on inter-PC conflict. things come with strings attached, so you can and probably should make the bikers useful enough to the operator and hocus that they find themselves sucked into a feud with the juggernaught :getin:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My Shadowrunner's are expanding their Tea / Bakery / Guns & Drugs joint into other territories and bought another front, causing the face to expand their gang in order to cover the extra territory.

This means The Face is in charge of about 200 - 225 gang members with a strict hierarchy, covering 2 city blocks and a ton of product, due to some amazing rolls, questing, and shrewd business sense, each venue (of which there are now 3,) are earning almost 200,000 nuyen a month, profit, after paying the gang members, producers, contacts, clients, and security.

They're even cutting deals with lone-star to get advance warning on raids. Most missions are mostly either expanding, protecting, or managing their territory. THey're talking about getting corporate license, and have already fended off an attack with a dragon that left them in Amerindian lands for 2 weeks.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Turtlicious posted:

My Shadowrunner's are expanding their Tea / Bakery / Guns & Drugs joint into other territories and bought another front, causing the face to expand their gang in order to cover the extra territory.

This means The Face is in charge of about 200 - 225 gang members with a strict hierarchy, covering 2 city blocks and a ton of product, due to some amazing rolls, questing, and shrewd business sense, each venue (of which there are now 3,) are earning almost 200,000 nuyen a month, profit, after paying the gang members, producers, contacts, clients, and security.

They're even cutting deals with lone-star to get advance warning on raids. Most missions are mostly either expanding, protecting, or managing their territory. THey're talking about getting corporate license, and have already fended off an attack with a dragon that left them in Amerindian lands for 2 weeks.

Which player is Mr Johnson?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They haven't gotten to that point yet, I can't wait until I give them too much poo poo to handle at once and they have to pick someone to hire shadowrunners to do their jobs for them. It's just turning into that kind of game.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

I figured, but felt that it should at least be asked.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Turtlicious posted:

They haven't gotten to that point yet, I can't wait until I give them too much poo poo to handle at once and they have to pick someone to hire shadowrunners to do their jobs for them. It's just turning into that kind of game.

Make sure you bring all the broken character concepts that Shadowrun can bring - make them pick between the psychos, the glory hounds, the pros who ask for to much money and the posers.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

You know that old bad gm stereotype, rocks fall - everyone dies?

I thought that was just a saying until it happened to me tonight.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hipster Occultist posted:

You know that old bad gm stereotype, rocks fall - everyone dies?

I thought that was just a saying until it happened to me tonight.

Were you playing Return to them Tomb of Horrors or did you encounter the world's biggest rear end in a top hat?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Kavak posted:

Were you playing Return to them Tomb of Horrors or did you encounter the world's biggest rear end in a top hat?

He's not the biggest rear end in a top hat, but he likes to wing things and he's loving terrible at balancing monsters. He frequently casts spells or abilities that the monsters don't have.

We were playing the Rise of the Runelords module, and it was an encounter along the road to a nobleman's manor where we had to reach to get our next plot hook. The horse that was pulling our cart got killed by the 'ol Ewok AT-ST log trap, and then our paladin pinged evil in a cave nearby. It turned out that in said cave there was some sort of evil outsider that had access to CL 13 fireballs, lightning bolt, deeper darkness, see invisibility, greater invisibility, greater teleport, blindness/deafness, and this lovely cave rigged up so that rocks would fall from the ceiling whenever he pulled a lever. Said rocks blocked off our escape and caused the room to fill with water. Also an octopus thing was in the water. (it had poison tentacles)

We spent a while chasing this creature trying to obviously put it down, only to have the rocks block off the final room. I managed to dimension door past one layer of rocks to get at him, hopefully taking him down next turn or something. He then promptly dropped an roof on me and teleported out, and I had no way to get out or survive the rocks.

Keep in mind that we're level 8 here.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That sounds extremely unfun. Do you typically enjoy that experience?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Not really, but we're still friends outside of it so I'm looking for a way to weasel out of it without causing a huge blowup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Don't be that guy. If he's your friend, just let him know you guys are not having fun with encounters like that without mixing words. He'll understand because that's what bros do.