Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

The White Dragon posted:

Gun Shows is the best goddamn surname ever.

And now I remember one more cool/horrible Native American name. I saw a news story out of Montana once about a dude named John Henry Knows His Gun, whose 1st-degree murder charge had been reduced to manslaughter because he didn't know the gun was loaded when he aimed it at his brother-in-law.

Also, the victim's surname was Whiteman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

We just enrolled a boy named Daniel San

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Lotish posted:

We just enrolled a boy named Daniel San

I get Daniel-san jokes all of the time just from my first name being Daniel, that kid must have it the worst.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

One of the kids in my child's class is named Feanix. Not Phoenix, as I naturally thought when I heard her name, but Feanix.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
My girlfriend got a Christmas card from a weird, anime-obsessed girl she hasn't seen since high school. Picture of the girl, a baby, and a fluffy gray cat. "Season's greetings from me, Benjamin, and Sephiroth"

Turns out the cat is Benjamin.

:suicide:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I was at the grocery store last week and the cashier's name was Destination.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've met 2 boys called Zeon in the last 48 hours. I was told "like Leon, with a Z" on both occasions.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I got an email at work from a guy with the last name of "Fagbenjo", which made me laugh because I'm 12. But then I saw his email address:

Goddamn.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Had friends of the family with the last name Birdie growing up

They named their Daughter Imawee

Imawee Birdie

These were sensible adults as well in all other walks of life

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fullroundaction posted:

I got an email at work from a guy with the last name of "Fagbenjo", which made me laugh because I'm 12. But then I saw his email address:

Goddamn.

Can't tell if better or worse than Peter File.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Had a customer today named Wu, Teng
clan ain't nothing to gently caress with

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Istari posted:

I've met 2 boys called Zeon in the last 48 hours. I was told "like Leon, with a Z" on both occasions.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/zeon#English

:colbert:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

fullroundaction posted:

Goddamn.

I want to say he's probably Nigerian. I think it's the "gb", that's common in certain languages spoken in Nigeria, like Igbo. See also Gbenga Akinnagbe, first-generation American son of Nigerian immigrants.

The cool thing is that it's a double-articulated consonant - you pronounce the G and B sounds at the same time. Most people can't hear it if they didn't grow up around it, so the G ends up disappearing and he becomes Benga Akinnabe to English speakers. Or Peter Fabenjo.

I knew a Gbolahan in college who insisted on going by "G" because nobody could say his name.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
This one is kind of mild as a whole if maybe a little bit on the hippy side of things, but the combination of name and position I think is great. This is not from a small company either.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Do dumb pronunciations count? My SIL has a friend, Sean. Also my brother's name. Solid, traditional name, with traditional Irish spelling. Except this kid's name is pronounced "See-an". I saw this kid's name in writing, correctly pronounced it, and was told I was wrong. :psyduck: No, your friend's parents saw a name and didn't know how to pronounce it and made up their own poo poo.

My 4 year old has a kid named Speed in his class. (I whisper-asked their teacher if he had a pet monkey, and she laughed. A lot.) There's also a Cullen [Twilight].

Edit: My mom also had a cousin named Richard Dick. Yup, he went by Harry Dick.

AlistairCookie has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Apr 1, 2015

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

AlistairCookie posted:

Edit: My mom also had a cousin named Richard Dick. Yup, he went by Harry Dick.

Hah! I'd go by

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Haruharuharuko posted:

Hah! I'd go by

Or (named after the animal).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

AlistairCookie posted:

Do dumb pronunciations count? My SIL has a friend, Sean. Also my brother's name. Solid, traditional name, with traditional Irish spelling. Except this kid's name is pronounced "See-an". I saw this kid's name in writing, correctly pronounced it, and was told I was wrong. :psyduck: No, your friend's parents saw a name and didn't know how to pronounce it and made up their own poo poo.

I once met a Niamh, pronounced Nee-am.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Istari posted:

I once met a Niamh, pronounced Nee-am.

I've always wondered how that was really pronounced. It's one of those names I've seen in text but never in speech.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Shithouse Dave posted:

I've always wondered how that was really pronounced. It's one of those names I've seen in text but never in speech.

:eng101: Neeve

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've just been told that my SIL's friend doesn't go by a nickname, or her surname.
Her given name, that her parents bestowed upon her on the occasion of her birth, really is Mcgee. (Like McGee; pronounced muh-gee)

Or Nee-ov, depending which part of Ireland you're from.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The gently caress is a SIL?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Was reading a history on George Wallace, that of 'segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever infamy', and two names stick out:

His wife being called Lurleen - which I honestly thought was a name made to mock people from the South.

And some poor mis-guided woman who tried to become his second wife; Ja-neen Welch.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Jerry Cotton posted:

The gently caress is a SIL?

Sister-In-Law?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fizbin posted:

Sister-In-Law?

Jesus. In that case it's the shittiest abbreviation ever devised by a mentally incompetent shitfuck because it could just as well be son-in-law.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Sure but going by the assumed age of forum posters that didn't even cross my mind. I mean you're technically right and all but in the context of SA members sister in law is gonna be far more likely than son.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

Sure but going by the assumed age of forum posters that didn't even cross my mind. I mean you're technically right and all but in the context of SA members sister in law is gonna be far more likely than son.

All the goons I personally know are old enough to have son-in-laws :shrug:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just found out one of my teenaged cousins has something that would count for this thread. I thought her name was Kayla.

It's K-La :negative:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

The Orange Mage posted:

I just found out one of my teenaged cousins has something that would count for this thread. I thought her name was Kayla.

It's K-La :negative:

Is that her legit birth name or did she start writing it that way herself? I know a Kathryn who goes by KT, and a Casey who writes his name KC.

I also went to school with a girl named Susie who decided to start spelling it Psiouxzy. I don't know if she continued it into adulthood, but she was in the yearbook that way and teachers went along with it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sat next to a dude named Hooman in a class yesterday. Apparently it's a Persian name and I've just seen too many cat macros not to smile a little.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Sat next to a dude named Hooman in a class yesterday. Apparently it's a Persian name and I've just seen too many cat macros not to smile a little.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Jesus. In that case it's the shittiest abbreviation ever devised by a mentally incompetent shitfuck because it could just as well be son-in-law.

It is my sister in law. I am not nearly old enough to have a son-in-law. But quite frankly, in the context in which I used it, it really doesn't matter whether it's son-in-law, sister-in-law, or something else entirely; that really wasn't the important part of the story.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My husband worked with a dude named Just A Name. He had legally changed it years before, we have no idea what he changed it from.

They called him Just. I assumed it was short for Justin. I was wrong.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I met a dude named Alf Shadowsong and he's a big ol goon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Amorphous Blob posted:

How did it feel when he smirked and bisected you with his katana and then flew away on his demon wings

That name is like someone created a real life OC do not steal.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

CJacobs posted:

How did it feel when he smirked and bisected you with his katana and then flew away on his demon wings

That name is like someone created a real life OC do not steal.

He beat the crap out of me in a couple of games of Magic and then told me he was pretty much one of the developers of the game.

Really intelligent guy and just as much of a nerd as his name suggests.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Amorphous Blob posted:

O poo poo why did this remind of this. I got trained in an old job by a dude named Derrick Singingwind his number is still in my phone thats getting loving deleted. Dude was the biggest hippy dippy goon I've ever seen in the 3 years I worked with him I never saw him wear anything but sandals gently caress.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Amorphous Blob posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Once I was I line at really crowded Tim Horton's with my mother and we witnessed a lady screaming at her daughter, "Ocean! Ocean I said sit down! Don't play in the garbage!" There were more than a few people in line that I accidentally made eye contact with who looked like they were legit trying not to pee themselves laughing.

My best friend's single mother got all excited when her cousin named his daughter Genesis (which is somehow 80's music related I guess?) and had to be talked out of naming my buddy Duran after Duran Duran by his grandmother.

Some of my best friends were getting married to each other a couple years back and decided to hyphenate their last names for the sign at the venue because they are self aware people who enjoy trolling their stuffy old relatives--the "Fata-Cox Wedding" sign was easily the best thing I ever saw and then somehow managed to forget to take a picture of.