Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That Pedro story is the best thing posted in this thread in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Lazy Reservist posted:

The Russian military is a fascinating study in how superior numbers aren't always the key to victory.

My favorite will always be The Winter War.

nearly 5 to 1 casualty rate to gain roughly 11% of world renowned military force Finland.

Got kicked out of the League of Nations for it.

:downsbravo:

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
My favorite will always be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

Basically Australia lost a war against EMUs :v:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

moosepoop posted:

This is an April Fools joke.

Or Imma lose $50 since I just told a friend that there is no way Aussies lost two loving wars against a giant flightless bird with half the IQ of an Ostrich.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Genocide Tendency posted:

This is an April Fools joke.

Or Imma lose $50 since I just told a friend that there is no way Aussies lost two loving wars against a giant flightless bird with half the IQ of an Ostrich.

Nope, it is true and loving hilarious.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
3 men and one clapped out ww1 era lmg facing off against 20000 modern day velociraptors, those are incredible odds :wth:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

moosepoop posted:

The page used to show this, but Wikipedia editors hate fun:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

LunarShadow posted:

Nope, it is true and loving hilarious.

Was there a campaign ribbon for it?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Emus are loving scary, yo. No shame to the Aussies for losing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'd pay to watch Emus and Cassowarys fight.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

UoI posted:

Emus are loving scary, yo. No shame to the Aussies for losing.

yea holy poo poo theyre terrifying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFbKJSU9M8

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
my school's initials are EMU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cole posted:

:stare:

Same.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cole posted:

:sissies:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

:( goddamn
Killed 10 minutes before the official cease-fire. What a way to go.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Got sent something from the Facebook of a Florida National Guard guy.

Note that this was one of the "weird kids" in high school who kept trying to do occult rituals and once fantasized that he was an astral werewolf fighting vampires to keep the world from ending in 2012.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Deathy McDeath posted:

:( goddamn
Killed 10 minutes before the official cease-fire. What a way to go.

When you think about it SOMEONE always has to be the one to die right before a cease fire

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

chitoryu12 posted:

Note that this was one of the "weird kids" in high school who kept trying to do occult rituals and once fantasized that he was an astral werewolf fighting vampires to keep the world from ending in 2012.

:negative: I understood everything he said, and I just want it to stop.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

:negative: I understood everything he said, and I just want it to stop.

Then can you translate it for us who dont speak basement dwelling neckbeard?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He doesn't know how electromagnetic interference works.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cojawfee posted:

He doesn't know how electromagnetic interference works.

Pretty much that. Know how you move around a TV or radio and get static? He saw that on a piece of test equipment and called it ghosts.

It'd be like seeing someone write a Facebook post about how their compass was detecting water in the ground because it was being tilted. I remember hearing someone say something like that during a landnav course.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

chitoryu12 posted:

Did he buy wishes and hire people to turn him into a werewolf for one night off of ebay? People actually buy these things and a few years back they started to regulate it by making the seller sell a physical object with it, like an enchanted ring of 3 wishes, instead of "I'll cast the spell once payment is received".

But seriously, people buy this stuff. Just look at the completed auctions that sold.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Thought about hooking up a few sensors to an arduino and selling it to chemtrail folks. They buy anything.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Thought about hooking up a few sensors to an arduino and selling it to chemtrail folks. They buy anything.

Even better sell it to the Iraqi army as a landmine detector.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
GiP LLC

:getin:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Limited Landmine Catcher ZLC*

*Zero Liability Company, a subsidiary of the MBYF Syndicate brough to you by Deez Nuts

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
*results may vary

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bolow posted:

It blew my loving mind when I found out that Austria-Hungary suffered 90% casualties in WW1. Ninety loving Percent of everyone in that military was either killed or wounded.

God loving drat

Holy gently caress, thats insane. 9 out of 10 guys in their army would be dead or wounded, thats depressing. But then again, it doesnt suprise me. The Austro-Hungarian army was a mishmash of various ethnic groups and languages and led by a senile, geriatric leadership.

Hm, thinking about it, I bet over half the "casualties" in that statistic is hungarian and slavic soldiers desertions wich happened all the time, especially on the eastern front where they would just pick up their stuff, climb out of their trench and join the Russians as soon as there was a lull in the fighting.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Austrians in a nutshell:

Commanders chosen due to influence at court who were COMPLETELY inept
Using hilariously outdated weaponry (Brass cannon from 1890, no grenades)
Horrendous supply issues
ethnically fragmented army

Fighting the loving Serbians, who;

Had modern, but limited weaponry
Had actual experience fighting wars (because slavs were always fighting each other amirite)
Had good commanders using tactics unknown to the Austrians such as the "Fighting retreat" or "entrenched positions"
Very good gunners who surveyed their impact zones which the Austrians quite politely tromped right through.

As the Austrians lost again and again to the Serbs people started to see through it when the newspapers would say "WE WON A FANTASTIC VICTORY AGAINST THOSE FANATICAL SERB DEVILS and now we're retreating back into croatia everything is fine"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Wasn't the Italian-Austrian front even more horrific because both sides were that dumb?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

blackadder season 4 was actually a documentary

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
People that were so desperate that they had sex in Porta shitters after baking in 120 degree direct sunlight all day amuse me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Business opportunity. I'm learning arduino programming as we speak. It's also open source so they're completely cool with selling commercial products with their poo poo running it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ronwayne posted:

Wasn't the Italian-Austrian front even more horrific because both sides were that dumb?

Copy the Austrian section twice and set it in the alps. Repeat every two and a half months or so in the same goddamn mountain range for over two years. They finally came up with a new name for the twelfth battle of the Isonzo. To cross the river they needed to deal with the guys in the mountains and to deal with the guys in the mountains they needed to cross the river.

This is why Italy won the war so badly they fell into fascism.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

Business opportunity. I'm learning arduino programming as we speak. It's also open source so they're completely cool with selling commercial products with their poo poo running it.
When the olfactory sensor smells bad BO it shows a German scat film on the screen. This happens all day long.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Ronwayne posted:

Yes. Insert Churchill quote here about how "well we had the Italians last time it's only fair you've got them this time" and multiply by the Austro-Hungarian factor of sheer incompetence.

bitcoin bastard posted:

blackadder season 4 was actually a documentary

lol

LCL-Dead posted:

People that were so desperate that they had sex in Porta shitters after baking in 120 degree direct sunlight all day amuse me.

double lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Didn't the Italians lose 12 battles over the same spot or something?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Frosted Flake posted:

Didn't the Italians lose 12 battles over the same spot or something?

like anal sex with your girl, you gotta keep trying til you're successful bro

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Cole posted:

like anal sex with your girl, you gotta keep trying til you're successful bro

look at mr overachiever, you must have ridiculously high standards. define "successful" anal sex please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zeris posted:

look at mr overachiever, you must have ridiculously high standards. define "successful" anal sex please.

orgasm for both parties :getin: