Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Only when his leg was busted though, right?

Geralt got beat up by dumb stuff in Sword of Destiny as well. He doesn't do much in the books leading up to his leg being hurt outside of Sword of Destiny because they're mostly about Ciri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Lycus posted:

Or it was Eskel. I don't remember getting a clear look at the two witchers in Witcher 2, I just remember 2 guys running toward you. Vesemir and Eskel bring you back to the castle at the start of Witcher 1.

It COULD be Eskel, you don't get that good of a look at the second guy but it looks more like Berengar's bandana thingie than Eskel's hair. If it is Eskel, that would make tons more sense.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Geralt got beat up by dumb stuff in Sword of Destiny as well. He doesn't do much in the books leading up to his leg being hurt outside of Sword of Destiny because they're mostly about Ciri.

Yeah the only real superhuman combat feats that I can think of off the top of my head are in The Lesser Evil (where he became the Butcher of Blaviken) and when he slaughtered those assassin guys at the beginning of Blood of Elves.
I think he kicked a lot of rear end in the climax but I don't remember if there was anything that stood out instead of "Geralt fought and killed guys".

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Drifter posted:

But will I need to collect wyvern blood or griffon feathers?

Just kidding. So long as it's engaging, I'll collect how many whatevers. It's just lovely when the collection gameplay loop is 'go here, fight four dudes, collect' over and over again with no real difference.

I'll do collection quests if they end up as hilarious as the giant chicken man quest in Witcher 2.

This loving guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_PGBDtQRhQ

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah the only real superhuman combat feats that I can think of off the top of my head are in The Lesser Evil (where he became the Butcher of Blaviken) and when he slaughtered those assassin guys at the beginning of Blood of Elves.
I think he kicked a lot of rear end in the climax but I don't remember if there was anything that stood out instead of "Geralt fought and killed guys".

He kills a bunch of ghouls off screen in The Sword of Truth, the wounds from which being what leads him to reunite with Ciri. There's also the lead-in to when he gets that leg injury when he murders a whole squad of Scoia'tal, though that might be somewhat diminished by what actually ends up seeing him wounded (one guy with a staff). But yeah he's completely capable of getting his rear end handed to him by regular people. Which is a nice change of pace from your generic fantasy hero.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

He kills a bunch of ghouls off screen in The Sword of Truth, the wounds from which being what leads him to reunite with Ciri. There's also the lead-in to when he gets that leg injury when he murders a whole squad of Scoia'tal, though that might be somewhat diminished by what actually ends up seeing him wounded (one guy with a staff). But yeah he's completely capable of getting his rear end handed to him by regular people. Which is a nice change of pace from your generic fantasy hero.

You've got to remember he was killed by a peasant kid with a pitchfork. Can't get any more regular than that.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Drifter posted:

But will I need to collect wyvern blood or griffon feathers?

Just kidding. So long as it's engaging, I'll collect how many whatevers. It's just lovely when the collection gameplay loop is 'go here, fight four dudes, collect' over and over again with no real difference.

Only if you want to craft.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

That book hasn't been translated to English so I can't say anything about it but I certainly don't remember Geralt being beaten up by random lone bandits in the translated books. He regularly slaughters groups of enemies on his own while deflecting arrows and only really gets soundly thrashed by an even bigger badass. He also killed a bunch of soldiers when be earned the title 'of Rivia'.

Anyway my point was that it doesn't make plot sense for a healthy Geralt to have trouble defeating a lone bandit. I'm not sure if it makes gameplay sense either since you'll surely have to kill hundreds of peons in the game. I think it's better not to have to go through the typical RPG progression of killing a rat at lvl 1 and slaughtering whole cities at level 100.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 27, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
On the PS4 version, am I correct that it's confirmed to be 1080p/30 fps?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Well, I pre-ordered. Mostly out of fear of prices going up to $75 Cdn any day now, and a complete lack of games to compete for my attention on PS4 until Fall or later. The game looks promising but I never liked Witcher 2 as much as I wanted to.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Gah I wanted to wait for the first patches/DLC to come along, but the Nvidia offer was too good.
I hope CDPR got a huge sack of money for that promo.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm very happy with my collector's edition preorder. Have all my money, CDPR, and have even more when you announce preorders for Cyberpunk: 2020.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

CitrusFrog posted:

I'm very happy with my collector's edition preorder. Have all my money, CDPR, and have even more when you announce preorders for Cyberpunk: 2020.

The game is Cyberpunk: 2077. :colbert:

2020 is it's probable release date. :smith:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

FuriousGeorge posted:

I stand corrected :shobon:

and oh god don't say that :smithicide:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

FuriousGeorge posted:

Given how different Cyberpunk 2030 was from 2020 (the shift from cyber to nano), I can't even imagine what the technology in 2077 will be like.

I'm glad we don't hear about this game very often because I would just be in a constant state of hype and I suspect my heart would give out. CP2020 is definitely my favorite RPG system ever.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
http://thewitcher.com/news/view/982

lol

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I hoped for a "downgrade confirmed" announcement. Digging that Triss hairstyle though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Joke's on you, I actually want those hairstyles.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah the middle one is amazing.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah the middle one is amazing.

It's like a legit Fabio hairstyle. Who wouldn't want that?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

GrossMurpel posted:

I hoped for a "downgrade confirmed" announcement. Digging that Triss hairstyle though.

I was hoping we'd do a downgrade joke too, make the game look like an old sierra adventure game. Too busy to do good jokes right now :(

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
also:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-could-be-200-hours-long/1100-6426306/

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That makes me a happy chappy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is...is that possible?!?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Bort Bortles posted:

Is...is that possible?!?

I've been playing for weeks and I'm like 1/4 the way through. I have skipped a good amount of side quests, so yeah I believe it.

Our sidequests are also not bullshit, despite what I know everybody must assume.

EDIT: AND I skip a lot of the dialogues because I've seen them all before. So yeah, the game is huge.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 1, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I've been playing for weeks and I'm like 1/4 the way through. I have skipped a good amount of side quests, so yeah I believe it.

Our sidequests are also not bullshit, despite what I know everybody must assume.

EDIT: AND I skip a lot of the dialogues because I've seen them all before. So yeah, the game is huge.

:syoon: We still have to wait another month and a half though :(

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Bort Bortles posted:

:syoon: We still have to wait another month and a half though :(

Finish Pillars and Bloodborne so you have nothing to distract you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I didnt buy either of those because I just spent all of my money on a new computer so I could run W3 on good settings :v: I am plenty distracted by EU4 and a backlog of other older games that I bought on steamsale but didnt/couldnt play before because of the computer, though, so I'll be okay :) I was pleasantly surprised at how good the Tomb Raider reboot is, and I only spent $5 on it!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

In spite of everything you've been saying I still can't help but assume this. I want to believe, Comte I really do, but...
:ohdear:

I've just never met a great open-world game. I've still preordered it, don't get me wrong; I love CDProjekt.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Drifter posted:

In spite of everything you've been saying I still can't help but assume this. I want to believe, Comte I really do, but...
:ohdear:

I've just never met a great open-world game. I've still preordered it, don't get me wrong; I love CDProjekt.

you doubt me? I just cancelled your pre-order

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It's not really an open world game, everything is carefully scripted, staged and placed.
When the production quality is good enough it gives you the illusion of a living world, without all the nasty drawbacks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Open World refers to what the player can do, not how the open world systems have been implemented, be they by design or algorithmic heuristics.

you doubt me? I just cancelled your pre-order

*reported*

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 1, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Drifter posted:

Open World refers to what the player can do, not how the open world systems have been implemented, be they by design or algorithmic heuristics.

*reported*

I will cancel theirs too! I AM MAD WITH POWER*

*power I don't have

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I dunno, I'm 30 hours into Pillars on hard and I've barely scratched the surface so far. This game is proving to be deceptively deep in the extreme.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Now I want Geralt's VA to do a "time is a flat circle" speech.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"Imagine, Triss, four balls on the edge of a cliff."

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Rime posted:

I dunno, I'm 30 hours into Pillars on hard and I've barely scratched the surface so far. This game is proving to be deceptively deep in the extreme.

You have TWO MONTHS

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

You have TWO MONTHS

Now now, some us have to play Bloodborne too.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

200+ hours? It sounds like I'm never going to be able to play another game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I want Triss to have special dialogue if you're rocking her hair style.

Also those muttonchops are incredible.

• Locked thread