Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

thexerox123 posted:

Games
First Place: 25th Anniversary

And you post a picture of the NES version. :ughh:

Everyone knows the Dos version is the only version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ6frFkKZYs

Note: I have no idea if the NES version is any good at all. I didn't even vote! v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twelve by Pies posted:

First thought upon reading that: "Isn't that the one where Barclay turns into a spider?" Answer: Yep.

It also had Troi becoming a dolphin, Riker becoming a caveman, Worf becoming a kind of prehistoric monster Klingon, Data's cat spot becoming an iguana, and I'm fairly sure Picard starts on the road to becoming some sort of possum-like creature.

For some reason, the cat becoming a lizard bothers me the most. :shrug:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So other than "Threshold" and a couple other clunkers I'm actually enjoying the second season of Voyager.

Is something wrong with me?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

Games
First Place: 25th Anniversary

I have a pretty pristine copy of this game (box and books and all) that I was about to throw on eBay. Any goon interested in buying instead PM me.

edit: the PC version. Didn't know there was an NES version! :gowron:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Pikestaff posted:

So other than "Threshold" and a couple other clunkers I'm actually enjoying the second season of Voyager.

I'm pretty sure the second season was my least favorite. Like every other episode was unbearably stupid... Maybe there is something wrong with you...

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I mean, it's not TNG/DS9, but it could be worse, I guess :shrug: And The Doctor improves basically anything he appears in.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Pikestaff posted:

I recently caught myself liking and sympathizing with Neelix, in a Neelix episode ("Jetrel"). I think I need to be put down. :smithicide:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Twelve by Pies posted:

That would explain why The Naked Now was the third episode.

Naked Now was done because Roddenberry had totally dropped the ball on getting stories into development in a timely fashion and needed something that could be written up quickly. I'd be willing to bet the TOS veterans weren't happy about so blatantly rehashing a TOS episode so soon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Naked Now was done because Roddenberry had totally dropped the ball on getting stories into development in a timely fashion and needed something that could be written up quickly. I'd be willing to bet the TOS veterans weren't happy about so blatantly rehashing a TOS episode so soon.

It is also the reason that their were no more mentions of the original series for until season 3 with Sarek

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Railing Kill posted:

I recently caught myself liking and sympathizing with Neelix, in a Neelix episode ("Jetrel"). I think I need to be put down. :smithicide:

When Neelix is used as an actual character instead of just annoying comic relief, he actually has his moments, like Jetrel. The writing team seem to have not cottoned to this notion though and so he's mostly either annoying everyone (Which is admittedly hilarious when it's Tuvok) or being a super creeper about his two year old girlfriend. That said Kes is one of the better characters because she's a total sweetheart and also doesn't gently caress things up.

But yeah, sympathizing with Neelix, I know that feel :smithicide:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

When Neelix is used as an actual character instead of just annoying comic relief, he actually has his moments, like Jetrel. The writing team seem to have not cottoned to this notion though and so he's mostly either annoying everyone (Which is admittedly hilarious when it's Tuvok) or being a super creeper about his two year old girlfriend. That said Kes is one of the better characters because she's a total sweetheart and also doesn't gently caress things up.

But yeah, sympathizing with Neelix, I know that feel :smithicide:

Even sticking with the Kes is 2 premise, they could have done so much more with her character. Because of their accelerated/protracted life spans, Ocampans should have been like the ultimate go-getters. Kes should have joined starfleet by online classes by season two and been promoted above harry by season 3. Kes should have been debating Vulcan Philosophy with Tuvok. And most importantly, Kes should have been the initiator in any romantic interests, rather than being "sort of" with Neelix from the beginning.

The fact that she's essentially trapped in an abusive relationship because she's an outsider and Neelix "rescued" her from the Kazon is one of the worst writing decisions ever. The whole series she shows very little romantic interest in Neelix and she constantly has to put up with his controlling behavior and jealousy. Neelix is the biggest loving goon and he considers Kes his waifu even though it's never really established that she wants to be with him.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I feel really bad for the actor playing Neelix (Ethan Philips?) He's a strong character actor with a solid resume and his gig on Voyager is literally "Pedo comic relief". He must have been so frustrated when he saw where his character was going .. Absolutely nowhere.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

It also had Troi becoming a dolphin, Riker becoming a caveman, Worf becoming a kind of prehistoric monster Klingon, Data's cat spot becoming an iguana, and I'm fairly sure Picard starts on the road to becoming some sort of possum-like creature.

For some reason, the cat becoming a lizard bothers me the most. :shrug:

Picard began turning into a lemur or marmoset.

Riker as a neanderthal was totally believable and you can't say Worf as a Klingon caveman wasn't cool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

It is also the reason that their were no more mentions of the original series for until season 3 with Sarek

That was built into the writer's bible before they even started. There was a 'no Vulcans' rule and everything. They really wanted to distance themselves from TOS so they could stand alone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MikeJF posted:

That was built into the writer's bible before they even started. There was a 'no Vulcans' rule and everything. They really wanted to distance themselves from TOS so they could stand alone.

You know besides Bones appearing in the first episode also a Vulcan appearing in the first season.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 1, 2015

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

tessiebee posted:

I feel really bad for the actor playing Neelix (Ethan Philips?) He's a strong character actor with a solid resume and his gig on Voyager is literally "Pedo comic relief". He must have been so frustrated when he saw where his character was going .. Absolutely nowhere.

That's literally everyone on Voyager, though, save The Doctor. Every character got treated abominably by the writing crew and producers. TUVOK WILL NEVER GET HOOOOOOOOOOME!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Apoplexy posted:

That's literally everyone on Voyager, though, save The Doctor. Every character got treated abominably by the writing crew and producers. TUVOK WILL NEVER GET HOOOOOOOOOOME!

Also, concerning Tuvok's lute: I know that making musical instruments is hard, but after all of the planets with health forests the visited, Tuvok never attempted to harvest materials to construct a lute? Like he never replicated one because he thought it was an irresponsible use of replicator rations, but given his Vulcan patience and extreme attention to detail, he probably could have made a project of it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Snak posted:

Even sticking with the Kes is 2 premise, they could have done so much more with her character. Because of their accelerated/protracted life spans, Ocampans should have been like the ultimate go-getters. Kes should have joined starfleet by online classes by season two and been promoted above harry by season 3. Kes should have been debating Vulcan Philosophy with Tuvok. And most importantly, Kes should have been the initiator in any romantic interests, rather than being "sort of" with Neelix from the beginning.

The fact that she's essentially trapped in an abusive relationship because she's an outsider and Neelix "rescued" her from the Kazon is one of the worst writing decisions ever. The whole series she shows very little romantic interest in Neelix and she constantly has to put up with his controlling behavior and jealousy. Neelix is the biggest loving goon and he considers Kes his waifu even though it's never really established that she wants to be with him.

I always got the impression her grasp of medicine under the Doctor's tutelage was incredibly quick, but yeah I agree with what you say here. Whenever their relationship is questioned Kes always leaps to defend it and talk about how much she adores Neelix, but we never actually see the relationship outside of Neelix being a huge loving goon and she has to forgive him for whatever stupid poo poo he's jealous about this week. I feel that Neelix is the most underused character though (except maybe Kim), the more I think about it - the whole masking his pain and loss with cheerfulness, his desperate need to be liked and useful, all that poo poo, ties in really well with his backstory. Then it never goes anywhere.

Whenever I see a Voyager crewmember :rip:, I really wonder why a bigger deal isn't made out of it. These people have skills that cannot be replaced, and the crew will get stretched increasingly thin as more people deplete. They'd have needed solutions to this, and they would also have had far more "Well I sure wish Ensign Richard Butt was alive to help with this, we'd get it done in half the time". When someone's in trouble with Janeway she's always like "Welp can't throw you in the brig because we need you don't do it again".

I'm actually enjoying watching Voy a lot more than I expected and like Pikestaff I'm finding Season 2 to be pretty great now that Threshold is behind us, but ugh lost potential is The Worst.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm actually enjoying watching Voy a lot more than I expected and like Pikestaff I'm finding Season 2 to be pretty great now that Threshold is behind us, but ugh lost potential is The Worst.

That's the worst part about watching VOY after seeing the BSG reboot. Not that it was perfect, but Ron Moore nailed some of the turbulent feelings and deep problems that would crop up in a survival situation and Voyager could have skipped the paranoia and politicking that weighed down BSG.

It could have been great :negative:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I just want to remind people that Season 2 of Voyager has The 37's, Tattoo, Threshold, The Thaw, and Tuvix. Season 2 is the worst season of Voyager.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kaysette posted:

That's the worst part about watching VOY after seeing the BSG reboot. Not that it was perfect, but Ron Moore nailed some of the turbulent feelings and deep problems that would crop up in a survival situation and Voyager could have skipped the paranoia and politicking that weighed down BSG.

It could have been great :negative:

This post brought me to the wonderful thought that is Janeway doing All Is Lost in space.

At the end she finally sees a Starfleet rescue ship and gently caress you it turns out she was just hallucinating as she ran out of oxygen in her spacesuit.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

thexerox123 posted:

Second Place (tied): Star Trek (2009)

Seriously?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Mister Kingdom posted:

But the TV show had a six-foot tall talking carrot!

This is the most thrilling Space Carrot character I've heard of since the Boojums in Alan Dean Foster's Cat-a-lyst.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Mogomra posted:

I just want to remind people that Season 2 of Voyager has The 37's, Tattoo, Threshold, The Thaw, and Tuvix. Season 2 is the worst season of Voyager.

The Thaw is good though.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

armoredgorilla posted:

The Thaw is good though.

Experience BIJ!

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Voyager was basically the crazy Janeway, Doctor and 7 of 9 show and gently caress the rest of the cast.

Tuvok occasionally gets a look in. Kim, Paris and Chakotay might as well not even exist.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Which S1 TNG episode had a Vulcan? Ugh I can't believe I asked that.

I suppose even old man Roddenbery would have perceived a difference between 'an extra in the background of a starbase or Starfleet Academy has the ears' and 'we're having More Vulcans On The Show'

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

armoredgorilla posted:

The Thaw is good though.

Just because it has Michael McKean doesn't make it good. :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

It's a fun movie that resurrected a dead franchise. My dad grew up watching TOS as it aired, owned every single TOS novel, arranged TNG viewing parties, and he absolutely loved ST09. Goons hate it because it's popular. :ms:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nessus posted:

Which S1 TNG episode had a Vulcan? Ugh I can't believe I asked that.

I suppose even old man Roddenbery would have perceived a difference between 'an extra in the background of a starbase or Starfleet Academy has the ears' and 'we're having More Vulcans On The Show'

Coming of Age

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

Look at how wrong this guy is: 40% wrong.

"The Thaw" and "Tuvix" are both good episodes. Basically all the hate for Tuvix is because Janeway can do no wrong and there are no longterm consequences in Voyager. It's still a good episode even though it's not what people want it to be.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Mogomra posted:

And you post a picture of the NES version. :ughh:

Everyone knows the Dos version is the only version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ6frFkKZYs

Note: I have no idea if the NES version is any good at all. I didn't even vote! v:shobon:v

As long as you sprang for the CD-ROM version with Fully Voiced Cast Dialog and not the Sub-Par Floppy Disk Version For Jerks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's a fun movie that resurrected a dead franchise. My dad grew up watching TOS as it aired, owned every single TOS novel, arranged TNG viewing parties, and he absolutely loved ST09. Goons hate it because it's popular. :ms:

My mom grew up watching TOS as it aired, owns two shelves worth of TOS and TNG novels, and was first in line to see TMP when it came out, when she got home from ST09 she didn't seem impressed. Goons are critical of the new movies the same way they're critical of the TNG films.

Have the new films entered the public consciousness at all except as a latest entry in a long line of recent blockbuster franchise reboots/launches? Will Star Trek films continue to be made beyond the 3rd one, or a TV series, or will the franchise return to dormancy again? It's still too early to really answer these questions.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I don't personally hate Tuvix, the episode or the character, but I'm just like Janeway and Kes in that I want Tuvok more.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Snak posted:

Look at how wrong this guy is: 40% wrong.

"The Thaw" and "Tuvix" are both good episodes. Basically all the hate for Tuvix is because Janeway can do no wrong and there are no longterm consequences in Voyager. It's still a good episode even though it's not what people want it to be.

You're right, it's an exceptional example of how bad Voyager is. :)

Tuvix is bad because it makes no sense, and the rest of the crew murder Tuvix at the end which also makes no sense.

The Thaw is bad because it's just dumb, and McKean's character is really annoying and not at all menacing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tighclops posted:

My mom grew up watching TOS as it aired, owns two shelves worth of TOS and TNG novels, and was first in line to see TMP when it came out, when she got home from ST09 she didn't seem impressed. Goons are critical of the new movies the same way they're critical of the TNG films.

Hey man, I enjoyed the last two Trek movies as popcorn entertainment, and I've actually praised First Contact as a fun variation on the "Die Hard on a..." concept. ST09 and STID are not without their flaws, but I maintain that the former would actually sit in the top half of Trek films if listed and STID would actually be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

My issue with Generations is that as gorgeous as it may be to look at, it's far too meandering, with little actual focus and a script that could have used a few more drafts. Insurrection is hard to give a gently caress about because I find it so plodding with a plot that would have worked far better as a 1-hour TNG episode examining the morality of the Federation's actions and Nemesis is a piece of poo poo through-and-through.

Mogomra posted:

Tuvix is bad because it makes no sense, and the rest of the crew murder Tuvix at the end which also makes no sense.

Plus Tuvix as a character is actually pretty cool, and in subsequent episodes, when Neelix is all Neelixing, it's like "they murdered Tuvis for this?" Which brings me back to the criticism made earlier on this page - there were some plum opportunities to really expand on the character and develop him into someone that is deserving of some pathos when you consider his backstory, but as usual, Voyager hosed it up.

Mogomra posted:

The Thaw is bad because it's just dumb, and McKean's character is really annoying and not at all menacing.

The Thaw is a reasonable self-contained TOS-esque story and is one of the better Voyager episodes. It's just that it's not exactly a high bar.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 1, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

It's true a group of people have never murdered someone to prevent uncomfortable change. And rationalized as a group that it wasn't murder and was the right thing to do.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I didn't hate it because it was popular, nor has anyone else in this thread. It's a mindless action movie full of plot holes and no substance. It's only redeeming quality is Karl Urban.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
How is it any more mindless than the 10 movies that came before? The only Trek movie that's even partially cerebral is TMP. Everything else is popcorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How is it any more mindless than the 10 movies that came before? The only Trek movie that's even partially cerebral is TMP. Everything else is popcorn.

At this point you're basically defining everything short of films like 2001 or Solaris as mindless popcorn, which is of course ludicrous.

There is a palpable difference, between the subject matter between say, TUC and ID and how it's handled and presented in both films. One is a dramatic political thriller and the other is a breathless excuse to get from blue/orange CG setpiece to blue/orange CG setpiece.

• Locked thread