Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm surprised that Todd didn't bring up the video for the Backstreet Boys Larger than Life.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So was Anita's new video actually good or should I just enjoy the tears it will undoubtedly create?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

New Feminist Frequency. HIT THE DECK!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, that's why it was genius to use it for that prologue scene in Iron Man 3. You instantly thought of that time period.

Windows XP being used to set something in The Past is so strange to me.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

Windows XP being used to set something in The Past is so strange to me.

That's a sign you need to upgrade your operating system and possibly even your entire PC.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm achin'
I'm shakin'
I'm breakin'

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

http://channelawesome.com/pop-quiz-hotshot-pilot-episode/
Good lord how can they be this incompetent; this is the "improved" show too. :stare:

The contestants don't win anything on the first ever game. Not even an NC signature or other booby prize. With challenges like "do this colouring book activity" and "here are some questions about... old stuff, I guess".

Clearly, what's more important is fleshing out the fictional universe behind this game show, to justify the Speed reference and lack of budget.

I'm sure the game is better than this video makes it sound. I admit, I expected a single example to go a little deeper than that.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
Honestly even the 'story'/'characters' bit is half-assed. If they played that up it might be a little less dull.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I've seen that game around and never would've guessed that pixelly thing was a lady. Neat. I'll check the video out when I get home from work.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Can I just say that it drives me up the wall when people say that pixel-art games like Sword & Sorcery "prove games don't need great graphics", because S&S has loving gorgeous art, and, if anything, indie games are held up to (relatively) even higher standards for art quality than AAA games.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think the backgrounds look great but I hate that style of pixel art for characters. They just look like blobs with stringy limbs. I'll take Shovel Knight level of detail over that stuff any day.

Edit: For the actual video itself, I liked it. I think discussing positive examples and pointing out what is good about a character is a better starting point, more constructive and helpful than overbearing negativity with not very well constructed arguments. I think her example is kind of weird since it's a genderswap in which she previously called out as not that good a thing. Not that I mind, really. A hero is a hero, regardless of gender. The bit she mentioned in Metroid is probably one of my favorite gaming moments.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 1, 2015

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Every April 1st, GoingRampant gives a serious feminist analysis of a horrible b-movie, and this year, it's 1999's The Last Man on Planet Earth. If you don't know about this movie, HOLY poo poo.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

DStecks posted:

Can I just say that it drives me up the wall when people say that pixel-art games like Sword & Sorcery "prove games don't need great graphics", because S&S has loving gorgeous art, and, if anything, indie games are held up to (relatively) even higher standards for art quality than AAA games.

Graphics and art are different things, though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Andrew Verse posted:

Graphics and art are different things, though.

The problem is that the industry has used the terms interchangeably for 20 years now. The real heart of the sentiment being expressed is that you don't need good graphics to have appealing art, but people always wind up articulating it as "Games don't need good graphics to be good", which because of the graphics/art confusion appears to be a claim that games don't need appealing art; which is something people like to say but never back up with their wallets. I'm just bugged by the meme that indie games aren't guilty of the same appeal to appearance that AAA games are, it's just that it's one of art quality rather than graphical quality.

Anyway, because of this video I've finally decided to sit down and watch Tropes Vs. Women, just finished Damsel in Distress Part 2. Part 1 was, uh, really uninspiring. I didn't disagree with anything she said, but it's just so dry. It's like an encyclopedia article being read out loud. It's no wonder that there aren't any meaningful rebuttals of her videos, because nothing she says can really be rebutted. Part 1 plays it very, very safe, and maybe that's why it was boring, because everything she said was so self-evidently uncontroversial.

But then I watched Part 2. Hot drat. I don't want to overhype it, because it's still pretty dry, but it goes for the fuckin' jugular. Part 2 is a hell of a lot bolder, going directly for the sacred cows and unafraid to dissect what violence against women in video games really says in a real-world context. If you have even a passing knowledge of video game history skip right to Part 2.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PassTheRemote posted:

My thoughts on this game show:

this show is painful. Why are there rounds, if the point values do not change? The questions are far too random, why is there terrorism and war questions next to tv questions?

Nuke this game from orbit.

The cold open is them trying to copy Double Dare, and like everything, missing why it worked on Double Dare.
Really if they made it a panel show it would be much better since you wouldn't have to deal with the problems of logistics with a game show

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I heard someone was fired from CA for commenting on the game show, is that true?

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
It looks like they were deleting negative comments last night, but I haven't heard anything about actual firing.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

You know if they released a really well done game show today and yesterday's was an April's Fool joke it would actually be pretty awesome. But it's not going to happen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
CA moderators deleting and downplaying viewer backlash does not surprise me in the slightest.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
LordKat is relishing this.
https://youtu.be/lUGqtkZVeOQ

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

this guy is really a bitter dude, it's been years since he's been out of that group and he still hasn't moved on?!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was a huge TGWTG fan years ago, it's so surreal so many of the people involved are at each other's throats now. Doug and them really hosed over their "friends".

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

WickedHate posted:

I was a huge TGWTG fan years ago, it's so surreal so many of the people involved are at each other's throats now. Doug and them really hosed over their "friends".

is there anywhere I can read in depth about this?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Al-Saqr posted:

this guy is really a bitter dude, it's been years since he's been out of that group and he still hasn't moved on?!

https://youtu.be/bkEhtD10pX0

That's a 7 and a half hours of him ranting about Channel Awesome. Add this 3 hours of audio, that's a total of 10 and a half hours, and I'm sure there's more.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
http://obscuruslupa.tumblr.com/post/108008749157/bye-ca <- A lot of where the "loving over" comes from. Also chatlogs.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
There was also that time CA fired a guy and didn't even tell him he was fired for like 2 weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgGh6i0GWF8

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It is depressing how much LordKat has let his hate dominate his life.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
For all the rightful criticism CA deserves in light of what's happened in the past few months, LordKat's input is the last kind anyone should take.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It is depressing how much LordKat has let his hate dominate his life.

LordKat in general is a depressing human being.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I was listening to this cause I find insults about people who perform terribly humorous, its why I read the webcomics thread.

But then he slandered Brad about how he looks like a cancer victim. The gently caress, dude.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Lordkat should be a banned subject in this thread, he should never be given thought in this thread at all even when talking about TGWTG drama. at least with the subjects we dread to talk about they have some backround in the internet critic. lordkat is a bitter old rear end in a top hat who blame everything wrong in his life in others.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cyron posted:

Lordkat should be a banned subject in this thread, he should never be given thought in this thread at all even when talking about TGWTG drama. at least with the subjects we dread to talk about they have some backround in the internet critic. lordkat is a bitter old rear end in a top hat who blame everything wrong in his life in others.

Weren't you not going to post here anymore?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BobbyK posted:

Weren't you not going to post here anymore?

i been posting in this thread for the last few days and makng fun of TGWTG is something i can't pass up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Leal posted:

But then he slandered Brad about how he looks like a cancer victim. The gently caress, dude.

LordKat is just so...hateful. Dude's gotta stop sayings hit like that, he's as bad as Doug if not worse.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

WickedHate posted:

LordKat is just so...hateful. Dude's gotta stop sayings hit like that, he's as bad as Doug if not worse.
The worst one is when he had this tirade against Todd in the Shadows and then in the most awful backhanded concern trolling comment of all time said "Now I love Lindsey, but she really needs help with the alcohol" says the guy who I watched on a stream on Magfest heavily intoxicated. He's just a hateful prick and its sad at this point that he's let it consume him because he realizes that being a prick often gives you viewers.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Lordkat chat is stupid, Linkara just put up a brand new episode of HOPR!

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
On the topic of things better than Lordkat-chat, James Rolfe just did his first Board James in a couple years.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

OMEGA VIRUS!!!!!!!!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

OMEGA VIRUS!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Man I love James Rolfe so much more than James Rolfe As The Angry Video Game Nerd, that's a great video for a great rear end game.

• Locked thread