Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Isn't the joke that when lots of people say "I don't see how this would be useful" it ends up being a massive hit with tons of functionality?

I said "I don't see how this would be useful" when the first iPhone released because I thought it was dumb and you had to use two hands. Then I went to the store on release day to see it and bought one instantly. I was dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

I'd like soft taps to give more info and hard ones to open the apps for notifications. I have no way of knowing what the difference between a soft and hard tap would be, but if it works well, I'm all for that kind of implementation.

It's going to be interesting to watch Apple bring Force Touch into iOS/OSX.

Android had huge problems with having one functionality requires a button tap versus another requiring a press and hold, because most people don't think to press and hold on a button. Also, it's difficult to show, at a glance, that a UI element has press and hold functionality

iOS/OSX might have similar issues with Force Touch.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think in OS X the force touch works the opposite way: normal touch clicks the button, hard touch does alternate functionality.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chemmy posted:

I think in OS X the force touch works the opposite way: normal touch clicks the button, hard touch does alternate functionality.

Yep. Nothing I've found doing is anything particularly important and it mostly just seems to replace the three-finger tap. I haven't really played around with it too much, though. At least with OS X, it's not really press and hold, it's press then press harder. Like, there's two distinct levels of pressure.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Seems like it would be difficult to properly implement on a large touch screen. It works on the Macbook because you've got a precise touchpad with a physical connection underneath. It works with the Watch because the screen is small enough that it simply acts as another button. The iPhone is kind of a weird middle ground where you'd want the functionality of the trackpad but with the limitations of the touchscreen.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Why do iMessages sometimes show up as the person's email instead of phone number? It's happened with a bunch of people and it kind of feels weird when I haven't been given their email address yet (or If I haven't given mine). It also breaks the conversation into two threads.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's an iMessage issue. It happens to MY GIRLFRIEND all the time and I dunno what causes it but I blame her since she's technologically challenged and I've never had it happen to me.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

GigaPeon posted:

Why do iMessages sometimes show up as the person's email instead of phone number? It's happened with a bunch of people and it kind of feels weird when I haven't been given their email address yet (or If I haven't given mine). It also breaks the conversation into two threads.

Messages on all devices has a "Start new conversations from" setting which lets you choose between your phone number and email addresses. I think it defaults to your phone number on iPhone and email on Macs and iPads.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It depends on that person's settings. You can choose to send iMessages from your phone number or your apple ID.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It depends on that person's settings. You can choose to send iMessages from your phone number or your apple ID.

I must be blind because I don't see that setting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I must be blind because I don't see that setting.

Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive

Yeah I just found it. I had to do some searching.

My girlfriend has the same issue where she gets texts from my email not my phone number even though I have only send from my phone number checked.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

MarcusSA posted:

My girlfriend has the same issue where she gets texts from my email not my phone number even though I have only send from my phone number checked.

I had a very similar problem with iMessage between my partner and I when I switched back to iOS; for a while it just simply didn't work and now about half the time I get iMessages from his e-mail. If he turns off sending from his e-mail, iMessage doesn't work anymore (but only between the two of us :shrug:)

I spent like an hour with Apple's chat support trying to get iMessage to actually work before I said gently caress it and gave up, a few hours later it magically started to work again. They wanted him to wipe his phone and restore from backup but at that point we realized it wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, speaking of Apple support, how good are they with (sort of) refunds? I bought a 6 Plus outright a week and a half ago, and yesterday they announced you can now trade in Android devices for credit. If I had known it was coming, I would have held off and then brought in my Nexus 5 when I bought it. Would this be something they'd do after the fact?

I know it's technically a trade-in towards a gift card/credit but I would have used it towards the phone anyway.

robodex fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 31, 2015

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

MarcusSA posted:

You can only have one checked. It's set to my number on my phone, and I'm pretty sure it's set to the same on my iPad. And a friend who I've texted with a lot just recently got one from my email.

robodex posted:

gently caress it

Seems to be the best option, I guess.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Yep. Nothing I've found doing is anything particularly important and it mostly just seems to replace the three-finger tap. I haven't really played around with it too much, though. At least with OS X, it's not really press and hold, it's press then press harder. Like, there's two distinct levels of pressure.
They're messing with some haptic feedback with the vibration apparently, like iMovie got an update that gives a bump sensation or something when dragging things around and reaching the end of clips.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've always said that what trackpads needed was rumble packs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I've always said that what trackpads needed was rumble packs.
If only I could plug in my N64 or DS rumble pack into the desktop Magic Trackpad.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

robodex posted:

I had a very similar problem with iMessage between my partner and I when I switched back to iOS; for a while it just simply didn't work and now about half the time I get iMessages from his e-mail. If he turns off sending from his e-mail, iMessage doesn't work anymore (but only between the two of us :shrug:)

I spent like an hour with Apple's chat support trying to get iMessage to actually work before I said gently caress it and gave up, a few hours later it magically started to work again. They wanted him to wipe his phone and restore from backup but at that point we realized it wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, speaking of Apple support, how good are they with (sort of) refunds? I bought a 6 Plus outright a week and a half ago, and yesterday they announced you can now trade in Android devices for credit. If I had known it was coming, I would have held off and then brought in my Nexus 5 when I bought it. Would this be something they'd do after the fact?

I know it's technically a trade-in towards a gift card/credit but I would have used it towards the phone anyway.

If you're not overly attached to the message thread, it might be worth trying to delete the threads on both your phones and seeing if the identity stuff is fixed after that. Make sure the outgoing ID is set correctly in settings though

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

MrBond posted:

If you're not overly attached to the message thread, it might be worth trying to delete the threads on both your phones and seeing if the identity stuff is fixed after that. Make sure the outgoing ID is set correctly in settings though

Clearing the message thread isn't going to fix the identity stuff unfortunately, because, as Henrik said, it depends on which "identity" the person sending the message is using. Just to make sure that I don't end up sending messages to people from multiple identifies, I only select my phone number in Send & Receive.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

MrBond posted:

Tried that, I was starting from nothing anyway and he didn't really care. I mean, it mostly works now, just sometimes I'll get iMessages from his email rather than his phone. But we literally tried everything short of wiping his phone, which we really didn't feel like doing.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
So what's the story on this "hack" floating around that supposedly lets you dual boot Android now?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

So what's the story on this "hack" floating around that supposedly lets you dual boot Android now?

I have no idea what you're talking about unless it just came out today, on April 1.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Yeah I tried it this morning and it was pretty cool, but I'll probably get rid of it since Android is terrible.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think I might delete my ios partition it's so smooth and more customizable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lollipop on an iPhone would herald the end of days.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wasn't a huge fan of the Android thing either, but adding a Win7 partition was worth the trouble IMO.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Are there any Mac programs that aren't iTunes that I can use to move music off my old iPhone and load it onto my new one? Can that ONLY be done with iTunes? My PC is fried for now and I only have my girlfriend's laptop so syncing isn't a good idea. I think, I never really understood how that works

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

omg chael crash posted:

Are there any Mac programs that aren't iTunes that I can use to move music off my old iPhone and load it onto my new one? Can that ONLY be done with iTunes? My PC is fried for now and I only have my girlfriend's laptop so syncing isn't a good idea. I think, I never really understood how that works

I'd look into SharePod for getting the music off of your iPhone without having to download iTunes. You have to pay for it to be able to bulk remove files, but I think you're still able to move them in small batches with the trial version.

edit: drat it, somehow missed that you're on a Mac. I'd look into Senuti.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

robodex posted:

Tried that, I was starting from nothing anyway and he didn't really care. I mean, it mostly works now, just sometimes I'll get iMessages from his email rather than his phone. But we literally tried everything short of wiping his phone, which we really didn't feel like doing.

Hm yeah if you had already deleted it from both ends then that does sound weird. I wonder if you file a bug with apple if the imessage people would be interested in that sort of thing.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
The dual boot thing popped up yesterday but you guys are probably right, I got suckered. Carry on

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

MrBond posted:

Hm yeah if you had already deleted it from both ends then that does sound weird. I wonder if you file a bug with apple if the imessage people would be interested in that sort of thing.

I thought about it but I actually have no clue where to do that. The support guy said he'd been with Apple for 4 years and had only seen this once or twice, so it's a pretty rare bug from what I can tell.

I had a few theories of what caused it, a lot of the reports where this happened were people who recently switched to iOS and it was usually with a SO (ie, someone they text a lot.) My thought is Apple something's caching on the iMessage servers for people who text frequently? I'd been on Android for the better part of a year so it's just possible that even though I had re-activated iMessage it hadn't propagated fully.

Mind you, we had activated/deactivated iMessage and Facetime on both of our phones multiple times before it worked, and the last time it took his phone the better part of two hours to reactivate, so maybe the last time we did it it just reset something on their end. I don't know v:shobon:v

To be honest, he's due for a new phone anyway (he's using my old 4S still) so we can deal with the occasional weirdness once in a while.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

robodex posted:

I thought about it but I actually have no clue where to do that. The support guy said he'd been with Apple for 4 years and had only seen this once or twice, so it's a pretty rare bug from what I can tell.

I had a few theories of what caused it, a lot of the reports where this happened were people who recently switched to iOS and it was usually with a SO (ie, someone they text a lot.) My thought is Apple something's caching on the iMessage servers for people who text frequently? I'd been on Android for the better part of a year so it's just possible that even though I had re-activated iMessage it hadn't propagated fully.

Mind you, we had activated/deactivated iMessage and Facetime on both of our phones multiple times before it worked, and the last time it took his phone the better part of two hours to reactivate, so maybe the last time we did it it just reset something on their end. I don't know v:shobon:v

To be honest, he's due for a new phone anyway (he's using my old 4S still) so we can deal with the occasional weirdness once in a while.

bugreport.apple.com. You might have to agree to the developer agreement first and it's entirely possible that you won't be asked for more information, but someone does look at those.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm getting really tired of the messing app crashing nearly every day forcing me to do a force close on it. Does anyone else have this issue?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MarcusSA posted:

I'm getting really tired of the messing app crashing nearly every day forcing me to do a force close on it. Does anyone else have this issue?

Messaging? No.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Feenix posted:

Messaging? No.

Could swiftkey be causing it? A guy I work with is also using swiftkey and he gets the same lockups where he has to force close the app.

Edit: I'm on a 6+ and hes' on a 5s.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

MarcusSA posted:

Could swiftkey be causing it? A guy I work with is also using swiftkey and he gets the same lockups where he has to force close the app.

Edit: I'm on a 6+ and hes' on a 5s.

I have SwiftKey and this happens to me at least 2-3 times a day with Messages. I'm curious to see which side is causing the freeze.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

trilljester posted:

I have SwiftKey and this happens to me at least 2-3 times a day with Messages. I'm curious to see which side is causing the freeze.

I'm leaning towards Swiftkey being the culprit here seeing as how it seems to be the common denominator.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I don't use swiftkey anymore but I do use a couple other 3rd party keyboards and get the same thing. I actually don't use iMessage anymore (all my friends moved to GroupMe) but whenever I open it up to text my parents or something it's always crashing.

It's 3rd party keyboards.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I don't use swiftkey anymore but I do use a couple other 3rd party keyboards and get the same thing. I actually don't use iMessage anymore (all my friends moved to GroupMe) but whenever I open it up to text my parents or something it's always crashing.

It's 3rd party keyboards.

If it's happening on multiple keyboards then it sounds like the problem is more with the API than the keyboards themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Super Dude posted:

If it's happening on multiple keyboards then it sounds like the problem is more with the API than the keyboards themselves.

I think even SwiftKey has complained about some limitations of Apple's 3rd Party Keyboard API, so I imagine everyone is running into the same roadblocks. Here's hoping they improve the API more in iOS 9.