Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in, for the same recurring problem from the same recurring user for the 13th day in a row. "Subject - Viruses again."

The newsroom has ten computers that all the reporters and producers share. This user is a producer and works the midnight to 8am shift. Every night at 1:00am I get an email from her regarding viruses on her computer. It's always the same crap bundle malware, but I have to dedicate a solid couple of hours every morning cleaning this thing off, just for the afternoon reporter that uses the computer to manage to reinstall the poo poo. I can't even step away from the machine while the scan is running since someone will invariably step in and close the scan and then act like nothing was running when they came in.

This is literally the only course of action. I'm not allowed to edit GPO. We don't have a functioning web filter. We don't have a log of web traffic. All computers are set to delete browsing history when the browser is closed, non-negotiable. All the computers are running XP, refer to my earlier posts on my supervisor's views on OS updates.

I'm getting burnt the gently caress out. I'm trying to gain some autonomy of the IT around here, since I'm the sole IT personnel, but my supervisor, the chief engineer, is a massive dickwad with a superiority complex who takes great pleasure in inconveniencing everyone but himself. If I want anything, I have to go over his head and beg the GM not to let him know I brought it up. I'm powerless and this whole loving infrastructure is Band-Aid covered garbage. Even if I want to research things, I have to hide it from him because he'll swoop back there and demand to know what I'm reading, then he'll have some smartass or demeaning thing to say about it.

I'd take another job in a minute, but there is absolutely nothing around here that doesn't involve traveling around the state and running cables. I'm lucky to have this job, but drat it sucks having to cow to such an rear end in a top hat every minute of every day and not having the power to do anything to improve the IT situation, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in, for the same recurring problem from the same recurring user for the 13th day in a row. "Subject - Viruses again."

The newsroom has ten computers that all the reporters and producers share. This user is a producer and works the midnight to 8am shift. Every night at 1:00am I get an email from her regarding viruses on her computer. It's always the same crap bundle malware, but I have to dedicate a solid couple of hours every morning cleaning this thing off, just for the afternoon reporter that uses the computer to manage to reinstall the poo poo. I can't even step away from the machine while the scan is running since someone will invariably step in and close the scan and then act like nothing was running when they came in.

This is literally the only course of action. I'm not allowed to edit GPO. We don't have a functioning web filter. We don't have a log of web traffic. All computers are set to delete browsing history when the browser is closed, non-negotiable. All the computers are running XP, refer to my earlier posts on my supervisor's views on OS updates.

I'm getting burnt the gently caress out. I'm trying to gain some autonomy of the IT around here, since I'm the sole IT personnel, but my supervisor, the chief engineer, is a massive dickwad with a superiority complex who takes great pleasure in inconveniencing everyone but himself. If I want anything, I have to go over his head and beg the GM not to let him know I brought it up. I'm powerless and this whole loving infrastructure is Band-Aid covered garbage. Even if I want to research things, I have to hide it from him because he'll swoop back there and demand to know what I'm reading, then he'll have some smartass or demeaning thing to say about it.

I'd take another job in a minute, but there is absolutely nothing around here that doesn't involve traveling around the state and running cables. I'm lucky to have this job, but drat it sucks having to cow to such an rear end in a top hat every minute of every day and not having the power to do anything to improve the IT situation, at all.

What's up production buddy :respek:

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

All computers are set to delete browsing history when the browser is closed, non-negotiable.

What loving nasty horrific poo poo are they looking at that THAT is a policy?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

larchesdanrew posted:

Maybe set a restore point when it's clean and then just restore it every morning? Your situation sucks and if I were you, I'd just run the cable until something else opens up. Or move.

EDIT: Can you at least talk to the user who's downloading all the garbage? I know the answer to this in my heart but I need to hear you say it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Gilok posted:

I'd just run the cable until something else opens up. Or move.

EDIT: Can you at least talk to the user who's downloading all the garbage? I know the answer to this in my heart but I need to hear you say it.

I have. "I'm not doing anything that isn't work related. All I go to is our website and CNN. Maybe it's someone else." Then a lot of defensive bitching about me jumping in her and then having the news director crawl down my throat about it.

I thought about taking the job, but its on the road Monday through Friday and I'd never see my family. Also I have an epileptic wife who can't drive :smith:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm lucky to have this job

You shut the gently caress up right now with this crazy talk. Sounds like they are lucky to have you.

May the power of the :yotj: be with you.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

You shut the gently caress up right now with this crazy talk. Sounds like they are lucky to have you.

May the power of the :yotj: be with you.

:hfive:

But seriously. I was unemployed for over a year looking for work. This job sort of fell into my lap when I and my marriage was about to be at rock bottom. I'm making twice what I would be making anywhere else and it's made my ability to raise my children and support my family possible. I really do consider myself lucky for having it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

larchesdanrew posted:

But seriously. I was unemployed for over a year looking for work. This job sort of fell into my lap when I and my marriage was about to be at rock bottom. I'm making twice what I would be making anywhere else and it's made my ability to raise my children and support my family possible. I really do consider myself lucky for having it.

Where do you live? Let us find you a decent job.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

larchesdanrew posted:

I have. "I'm not doing anything that isn't work related. All I go to is our website and CNN. Maybe it's someone else." Then a lot of defensive bitching about me jumping in her and then having the news director crawl down my throat about it.

I thought about taking the job, but its on the road Monday through Friday and I'd never see my family. Also I have an epileptic wife who can't drive :smith:

Can you remove admin rights from the users?

If they are just web browsing, then they don't need to be admins and it might stop malware installations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol if you think malware won't just install into %appdata% if there's a lack of admin rights.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Truga posted:

lol if you think malware won't just install into %appdata% if there's a lack of admin rights.

It won't stop all malware, but it would be a good start.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
Sounds like a job for DeepFreeze but good luck getting permission to use it.

Or maybe if it's the same malware installing to the same location every time, you could prevent it from installing by putting an empty file with the same name as its folder and then empty folders with the same name as any files. No one ever checks for that situation in an installer.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Truga posted:

It really sounds like you need an application whitelisting solution. That will keep anything from installing, and since it sounds like these are one-time use workstations they won't need anything new installed on them.

Either that or I would build a base image, and everytime the user logs out it reverts to that base. Like a kiosk mode or something. That way if anyone does install some dumbass malware it will be removed when they log out so you don't have to clean it every day.

edit: ^^ yeah, deepfreeze, thats whats its called.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Or, you know, any antivirus solution assuming there isn't one in place. Those kind of malware infections are generally low hanging fruit for almost any AV solution since they aren't zero-day exploits in 99.999% of these instances.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Grapeshot posted:

Sounds like a job for DeepFreeze but good luck getting permission to use it.

Or maybe if it's the same malware installing to the same location every time, you could prevent it from installing by putting an empty file with the same name as its folder and then empty folders with the same name as any files. No one ever checks for that situation in an installer.

Is there a Deep Freeze or similar that's free? I have a co-worker who's husband has Alzheimer's and he is always getting malware and scam emails that install crap to steal their credit cards. I'd love to find something I can install on their Win7 PC that I can use.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate these random 'IT GUYS' that the owners of the company meet up with or know.

quote:

Subject: Fwd: Current virus outbreak

Good afternoon all,

I am sending out this email to warn and update each of you about a current virus threat that is infecting many users on the Internet. The threat / infection is propagating via email and is spreading very quickly. The sender of the virus will most likely be from a co-worker, vendor, or someone else that you deal with via email. Once a user is infected the virus then sends itself out to the users contacts via email with an attachment that claims to be an electronic report, payroll file, or something of that nature. One very prominent attachment for example is: invoice32.zip. This zip file contains a program within it that will infect the machine.

Merely receiving an email from an infected user or computer will NOT infect your PC. Opening the attachment and running it is the only way that I have seen this install itself. We are seeing this virus typically get caught and blocked from coming into your inbox by our anti-spam measures. However, if you manually release the suspect email from quarantine it will make it into your inbox. I am currently assisting an infected client network for this very reason. The user manually allowed a bad email in because the sender was a historically trustworthy party.

Because of this on-going threat I am requesting that you notify your users and remind them not to open attachments from anyone unless they are explicitly awaiting a specific document, etc. This is always a recommended practice and should be applied to seemingly “trustworthy” senders as well. Unfortunately this infection is so new that most scanning tools and AV programs are NOT blocking it or removing it. I am working to identify the files involved so that I can develop a plan of attack on infected machines and user accounts. So far this specific virus seems to have surfaced as of about 2-3 days ago across the Internet so it is very new and is only now being looked at by antivirus companies.

If you think that you have been infected please shoot me an email to tom@--------.com so that I can add you to the list of machines that need to be checked/verified.

Please see the attached screenshot that I have included in this email. It contains 3-4 sample subject lines that I have seen the virus come and go as. Also, do note that if your mail system shows this image as an attachment and not embedded in this message it is in fact safe to open ;-)

Feel free to pass this information on to anyone you think may benefit.

Thanks,

Tom

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Moey posted:

Where do you live? Let us find you a decent job.

I'll give it some thought. I'll give it some serious thought if my current hairbrained scheme to wrest control of IT from my supervisor blows up in my face.

spog posted:

Can you remove admin rights from the users?

If they are just web browsing, then they don't need to be admins and it might stop malware installations.

I've ventured into this territory, but supervisor says no, since it causes too many issues with the way their news writing program interfaces with the playout system for prompter and graphics. It's dumb, whatever it is.

Gilok posted:

I made a dumb joke while I was cleaning up the computer to the news director about how if she doesn't stop getting viruses, I'm gonna have to revoke her computer usage rights. He told her this seriously when she got in and she came stomping back into my office.

:nyd: Uh, larchesdanrew, we need to talk.
:confused: What's up?
:nyd: I don't know who you think you are with this "taking away my computer rights" stuff, but I have been here for three years and I've never had a computer problem and I use these other computers and they never have viruses. I don't do anything wrong on those computers, so the next time you want to start running your mouth about stuff you don't know about, maybe you can take a few minutes to figure it out rather than blaming me.
:smug: Look, it was a dumb joke I made, and I apologize if [news director] made it out as anything but. I certainly don't have the right or desire to "take away your computer rights," but you do have a serious problem with viruses. [the only term they understand regarding malware] Considering every malware infection seems to originate in your user folder, every day for the past three weeks, I'm gonna guess you're the root cause. I'm not suggesting you're doing it maliciously, but whatever websites you're visiting are giving you viruses, and it's becoming a very real burden on my workload. I've brought this up to you in the past and you always want to play the blameless victim, rather than accept responsibility, so rather than coming back here and accosting me in an unprofessional manner, maybe remember that, while you've been here for three years, I've been here for two and a half and I very definitely know what the hell I'm talking about. Are we done here? Good. [walk away]

Felt good, man. I'm probably gonna hear about it from all sorts of management, but I've been up since two on the phone with Israeli tech support and I cannot be bothered to give a gently caress.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Or, you know, any antivirus solution assuming there isn't one in place. Those kind of malware infections are generally low hanging fruit for almost any AV solution since they aren't zero-day exploits in 99.999% of these instances.

We had Security Essentials on all the computers, but support ended on that. I offered to put something like AVG on them, but supervisor says, "No, they'll be fine. It eats up too many resources."

I'm considering just putting Chrome with adblock on all the machines and limiting internet usage to that browser unless it's something work related that requires IE. That should, at least, keep out a bunch of passive malware.

I think the culprit may be this youtube downloader the guy before me had in place. It's a loving malware magnet, but these people are far too lazy to learn how to use anything different, and all of my suggestions have been refused.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

If they're still using XP it means they're still using IE8 I'm not sure even the worlds most robust antivirus will help with that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

larchesdanrew posted:

:smug: Look, it was a dumb joke I made, and I apologize if [news director] made it out as anything but. I certainly don't have the right or desire to "take away your computer rights," but you do have a serious problem with viruses. [the only term they understand regarding malware] Considering every malware infection seems to originate in your user folder, every day for the past three weeks, I'm gonna guess you're the root cause. I'm not suggesting you're doing it maliciously, but whatever websites you're visiting are giving you viruses, and it's becoming a very real burden on my workload. I've brought this up to you in the past and you always want to play the blameless victim, rather than accept responsibility, so rather than coming back here and accosting me in an unprofessional manner, maybe remember that, while you've been here for three years, I've been here for two and a half and I very definitely know what the hell I'm talking about. Are we done here? Good. [walk away]

I admire your balls.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Kurieg posted:

If they're still using XP it means they're still using IE8 I'm not sure even the worlds most robust antivirus will help with that.

We're just now moving from IE8 (though I'm loathe to admit that) and our AV catches 99% of everything. If we didn't have it we'd be hosed.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm considering just putting Chrome with adblock on all the machines and limiting internet usage to that browser unless it's something work related that requires IE. That should, at least, keep out a bunch of passive malware.

IE6 & IE7: https://adblockplus.org/releases/adblock-plus-11-for-internet-explorer-released
IE8-IE11: https://adblockplus.org/releases/adblock-plus-12-for-internet-explorer-released

I can't really vouch for either of those since I don't use IE, but pretty much any major browser has an ABP plugin. Shouldn't be a need to force any particular browser provided the IE plugin actually works.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

spog posted:

I admire your balls.

She's a huge diva and expects everyone to treat her like royalty because she's an anchor. I'm probably gonna need help finding a job sooner than I thought :ohdear:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My largest client owns a CBS affiliate and we stopped supporting them because of poo poo like this. GM that is spending averse, a spineless Chief Engineer that all technical decisions must go through and on-air 'talent'

gently caress em

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

go3 posted:

My largest client owns a CBS affiliate and we stopped supporting them because of poo poo like this. GM that is spending averse, a spineless Chief Engineer that all technical decisions must go through and on-air 'talent'

gently caress em

Does he own my station or is this just a universal CBS thing, because from the sounds of it, all of our CBS sister stations are exactly the same.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm really interested in Google Actual Butt Platform.

larchesdanrew posted:

She's a huge diva and expects everyone to treat her like royalty because she's an anchor. I'm probably gonna need help finding a job sooner than I thought :ohdear:

Given that your manager doesn't have your back I would dust off that resume just to be sure and get it on Dice/Monster no matter what.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Flagrama posted:

IE6 & IE7: https://adblockplus.org/releases/adblock-plus-11-for-internet-explorer-released
IE8-IE11: https://adblockplus.org/releases/adblock-plus-12-for-internet-explorer-released

I can't really vouch for either of those since I don't use IE, but pretty much any major browser has an ABP plugin. Shouldn't be a need to force any particular browser provided the IE plugin actually works.

I think it was IE7 where the ability to block stuff was built in, so you don't need adblock plus. The only thing you need to do is add in the filter lists.

http://superuser.com/questions/257792/how-can-i-block-ads-in-internet-explorer

larchesdanrew, how bad would it be when someone gets a cryptlocker?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My girlfriend works in print journalism, and the poo poo their sole IT person has to go through is insane. Presumably poo poo pay, supporting 15 year old macs and software, actual 24x7 on-call, website maintenance, incessant complaining from all sides, and the list goes on. I'd feel bad for the guy, but he's apparently happy with it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
No, desktop support idiot, I don't have time to troubleshoot citrix on the pc you screwed up after you did the thing everyone told you not to do, I'm kind of busy working on the thing that's gonna restore faxing to our 20+ outpatient satellites.

No, getting short with me will not help either jackass

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

Jesus, unless you live in paradise in some sort of Victorian mansion, just move man

Making money doesn't mean poo poo if you end up blowing your brains out all over a Windows XP desktop

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

ElGroucho posted:

Jesus, unless you live in paradise in some sort of Victorian mansion, just move man

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-thinking-about-just-packing-up-and-making-exac,38342/

Topical.

Not to mention that moving is very costly and, with a family, a huge thing to undertake and causes a lot of instability in what already seems to be a rocky relationship. In other words, that's pretty awful advice.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I hate these random 'IT GUYS' that the owners of the company meet up with or know.
I don't understand what the problem with this email is. They're just trying to warn people about CryptoWall and doing it in a pretty professional manner. Am I missing something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nexxai posted:

I don't understand what the problem with this email is. They're just trying to warn people about CryptoWall and doing it in a pretty professional manner. Am I missing something?

It creates fear and paranoia and he's just trying to drum up business. Not to mention warning people "don't open attachments called bilbo.zip" doesn't really do anything. Should you email people about every potential virus?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

It creates fear and paranoia and he's just trying to drum up business. Not to mention warning people "don't open attachments called bilbo.zip" doesn't really do anything. Should you email people about every potential virus?

I just sent out an email yesterday about the bank type emails circulating around. Mind you that's to my internal staff.

If this guy is just some sort of 3rd party IT then yeah, gently caress him.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

m.hache posted:

I just sent out an email yesterday about the bank type emails circulating around. Mind you that's to my internal staff.

If this guy is just some sort of 3rd party IT then yeah, gently caress him.

Same types of fuckers who email execs and then they come up to me asking 'Why isn't everyone here on Windows 8.1?'

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Same types of fuckers who email execs and then they come up to me asking 'Why isn't everyone here on Windows 8.1?'

Ah. gently caress em.

I keep getting emails forwarded to me by the President on how to increase our web presence and Google hits. Pretty sure we paid someone to look after this, why is this my problem.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

And the answer is "Windows 8 is not enterprise ready and never will be" alternatively "Because our IT budget is 0"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

And the answer is "Windows 8 is not enterprise ready and never will be" alternatively "Because our IT budget is 0"

Please tell me how 8.1 is not 'enterprise ready' :allears:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

There's not enough budget to train everyone on Metro :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Me: No, I cannot physically connect the network cable that is unplugged from your computer remotely.

User: Why?

Me: :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Jeoh posted:

Isn't Metro completely unmanageable using existing tools? As in can't use WSUS, group policy, etc? Or was that fixed?

• Locked thread