Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010

Dias posted:

I was born, raised and still live in Southern Brazil. How do you get tired of the food. How.

Then again, I could eat rice, beans, beef/chicken (milanesa or not) and salad every day for lunch with no issue at all, hehe.

Milanesa is loving good bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Long time yes-man with nothing but a high-school degree and two decades experience of political cocksucking gets named embassador, earns $60k a month, is unashamedly proud of it. :shepface:

Future Days fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 26, 2015

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

Hope you chileans get your poo poo in order.

It'd be nice. Seems unlikely tho.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Seems unlikely.

E: ^didnt even see that reply before mine. drat we're hosed.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
oh hey LatinAmericanfoodchat

colombian food is pretty bland too, I like it because of nostalgia but every gringo I befriended while working in Bogota detested it. Now I live in Spain and the food here is amazing but I sometimes miss a good ajiaco or just a decent arepa, de choclo If possible. Anybody care about America's #1 friend on the continent, Colombia? All I know is what my family posts on Facebook and they're all frothing at the mouth because the current government is negotiating with the FARC which I personally don't think is so bad but, y'now, half a century of politically charged armed conflict and all that jazz.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

What an inspirational story. :unsmith:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Argentina has a long tradition of interesting ambassadors.

Massive loving drought followed by massive loving flooding. I remember something similar happening over a decade ago by the time I had just moved to La Serena. This was several orders of magnitude harder, though.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Globo is doubling down on the manipulative side, getting close to Fox News level

That's unemployment

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

bagual posted:

Globo is doubling down on the manipulative side, getting close to Fox News level

That's unemployment

The best one was Reuters, which inadvertently published their reporter's notes along with a Fernando Henrique Cardoso interview. In the interview, the reporter (who, by the way, co-authored a book with Cardoso) mentions that the people involved in the petrobras scandal claim that the kick backs started during the Cardoso presidency, and then there is a parenthesis where he offers to remove that section.

And in terms of absolute insanity, Veja and parts of the right have decided to go all in in supporting Eduardo Cunha, the '"speaker of the house'" for the Brazilian congress. The guy who has been named directly in the Petrobras scandal, and who is holding the government hostage because the attorney general is investigating him, has been selected as the great statesman who will stop the corruption of PT.

Edit: And there was also the slobbering O Globo interview where Eduardo Cunha explicitly says that PMDB is only pretending to be with the government, and where he complains that PMDB never had a worthwhile cabinet level position, and that part of the blame for corruption is that Dilma nominates too many technocrats and not enough politicians. Again, a guy who not only was named in the corruption scandal, but has openly complained that the government hasn't done enough to prevent the justice department from looking into has now been chosen by a significant part of the media as the last great Brazilian hope.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 30, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/03/30/world/americas/ap-lt-brazil-rising-right.html?ref=americas&_r=1

quote:

He began posting satiric videos to YouTube, which gained a following. He joined two digital media collectives and produced more clips. Along the way, Kataguiri read the works of free-market economists Milton Friedman and Ludwig Von Mises.

His videos, in which he and his cohorts often don wacky costumes and dress up as political figures such as Fidel Castro, caught the eye of Danilo Gentili, a top late-night TV comedian who fiercely lampoons the government. The comedian asked Kataguiri and other young, anti-Rousseff producers and designers to help create a sketch before the October presidential runoff vote, which saw Rousseff narrowly beat her more conservative, market-friendly opponent.

Today, Kataguiri and the Free Brazil Movement team work from an office that has a tech-startup feel, with two brown leather couches and a clothes rack holding costumes used in their videos. Tequila and mescal bottles sit along a bookshelf holding Rand Paul's "The Tea Party Goes to Washington" and Russell Kirk's "The Politics of Prudence."

Kataguiri and others in the group believe the best remedy for Brazil's corruption is the expansion of free-market views and making the government smaller and more fiscally responsible — following classic tenets of American conservatism.

Jesus Christ.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

bagual posted:

That's unemployment

But...but it contradicts itself within the same image :psyduck: Fox will show straight up false information but almost never self-contradictory (though I have seen CNN fuckups that show poll response rates equaling 120% if you add them together). What the gently caress...

noooooo it's spreading

by the way, is this the bolsa familia that was mentioned earlier?

quote:

Kataguiri says he had a political awakening two years ago when he began questioning a classmate's position that a popular cash transfer program applauded by many experts around the globe was responsible for the expansion of Brazil's middle class and for lifting millions of citizens from poverty during the last decade.

He believed the credit instead should go to the country's commodities boom. "That's what has helped the poor," he said.

experts? pffffff, out of touch elites. God, it feels like I'm reading about US politics :smith:

Still, how much genuine support do he and his message really have? From the article and other things I've read, it sounds like a lot of this is more anti-Dilma than pro-anything else.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh hell yeah what we need like now is american-style politics. Also the Media trying to prop up Cunha is hilarious because when people called him the Brazilian Frank Underwood he got more offended by the fact that Underwood was bisexual than an amoral murderer. Also it's pretty surreal to see the discourse I usually saw being used by Olavo de Carvalho fanboys, trolls and insane people on 55chan now seeping into the mainstream.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That article gives me a lot of hope for Brazil. The fixes for the massive corruption and economic malaise certainly aren't going to come from Rousseff.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Arkane posted:

That article gives me a lot of hope for Brazil. The fixes for the massive corruption and economic malaise certainly aren't going to come from Rousseff.

Maybe not, but they're definitely not going to come from people who admire Rand Paul and the Tea Party and ignore expert analysis in favor of ideological elegance.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 30, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Arkane posted:

I don't think they'll come from Rand Paul either.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Arkane posted:

The right will remain pretty firmly entrenched inside incompetentville, despite what PT has squandered.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Oh hell yeah what we need like now is american-style politics. Also the Media trying to prop up Cunha is hilarious because when people called him the Brazilian Frank Underwood he got more offended by the fact that Underwood was bisexual than an amoral murderer. Also it's pretty surreal to see the discourse I usually saw being used by Olavo de Carvalho fanboys, trolls and insane people on 55chan now seeping into the mainstream.

Yeah, that is crazy. Olavo de Carvalho went from being the butt of many jokes on Orkut to being unironically quoted by relatively mainstream people. For non-Brazilians, Olavo de Carvalho is an ultra conservative "philosopher" and astrologist. No, the last part is not a joke. He is an honest to god astrologist. He at one point even had an article about how astrology explained the end of the cold war.

Oh, and it is always fun to point out that the majority of the founders of the so called "mbl" are graduates from public universities, where they studied for free.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, that is crazy. Olavo de Carvalho went from being the butt of many jokes on Orkut to being unironically quoted by relatively mainstream people. For non-Brazilians, Olavo de Carvalho is an ultra conservative "philosopher" and astrologist. No, the last part is not a joke. He is an honest to god astrologist. He at one point even had an article about how astrology explained the end of the cold war.

Oh, and it is always fun to point out that the majority of the founders of the so called "mbl" are graduates from public universities, where they studied for free.

We may never see their like again, thanks to the perfidy of the movimento negro and their dastardly quotas.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I wouldn't be surprised if they ever returned to power that inequality would spike again as Lula-era reforms get dismantled. Also, the economic malaise Brazil is going through is largely because of China not some fantasy that the PT had turned Brazil into a command economy.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the right cheer with the dismantling of reformist-left wing governments in South America, it is winner take all after all.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

joepinetree posted:

Olavo was a joke and then he was the obscure mentor of a tiny group of paranoid conservatives and now he is gradually becoming the mastermind behind the brazilian neoconservatives.

5 years ago nobody knew who he was. Now we can hear regular (non crazy) people talking about "cultural marxism' and "Foro de São Paulo" in bar conversations.

The left and the academy wont take him seriously, but the kids are listening to him. And a great part of those neoconservatives, who are getting more numerous every day, are teenage and young kids. And his books are selling like harry potter.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Olavo was a joke and then he was the obscure mentor of a tiny group of paranoid conservatives and now he is gradually becoming the mastermind behind the brazilian neoconservatives.

5 years ago nobody knew who he was. Now we can hear regular (non crazy) people talking about "cultural marxism' and "Foro de São Paulo" in bar conversations.

The left and the academy wont take him seriously, but the kids are listening to him. And a great part of those neoconservatives, who are getting more numerous every day, are teenage and young kids. And his books are selling like harry potter.

Let me provide some of the Olavo de Carvalho highlights to the uninitiated:

- Because of the gay rights movements, there are now books teaching kids how to perform oral sex on elephants
- Marxism and darwinism were both born out of satanism
- Humans don't need brains to live
- Scientists can't tell human and chimpanzee fetuses apart.
- Fossil fuels don't exist, as scientists have found hydrocarbons in a galaxy "na puta que pariu," where they never had dinosaurs.
- And my absolute favorite: the law of inertia is fake and Isaac Newton was stupid.

As a friend once said, these MBL and Olavete folks aren't libertarian. They are feudal plutocrats. They rail against quotas in the public universities, but not the provision of free public universities themselves. They rail against the income tax (which is the only part of the Brazilian tax code that is moderately progressive, but that only makes about 1/4 of all tax receipts), but not consumption tax. They, like most of the upper classes, rail against bolsa familia, but not against the salaries of the judiciary branch (since most of them are trying to get work there).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

joepinetree posted:

- Because of the gay rights movements, there are now books teaching kids how to perform oral sex on elephants
- Fossil fuels don't exist, as scientists have found hydrocarbons in a galaxy "na puta que pariu," where they never had dinosaurs.
- And my absolute favorite: the law of inertia is fake and Isaac Newton was stupid.

As a friend once said, these MBL and Olavete folks aren't libertarian. They are feudal plutocrats. They rail against quotas in the public universities, but not the provision of free public universities themselves. They rail against the income tax (which is the only part of the Brazilian tax code that is moderately progressive, but that only makes about 1/4 of all tax receipts), but not consumption tax. They, like most of the upper classes, rail against bolsa familia, but not against the salaries of the judiciary branch (since most of them are trying to get work there).

I refuse to believe this man exists.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Azran posted:

Not only does he exist, but one of the first hits you will get if you google the kid that was profiled in the NY Times above is a video where he is talking to Olavo.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
The more I hear about Uruguay the more I think they're our richer, more urban, better organized counterparts in the south.

Everyone back home can't stop talking about Mujica, either. What are the prospects for Tabaré?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

joepinetree posted:

How can anyone trust a loving astrologer? :psyduck:

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Azran posted:

Olavo de Carvalho posted:

On the origins of Western stupidity

Olavo de Carvalho
Jornal do Brasil, June 15, 2006

One of the inaugural paradoxes of modern times is the sly ease with which the intellectual part of Europe accepted the two principles of Newtonian mechanics - the eternity of motion and the law of inertia - without stopping for a moment to notice that they were mutually contradictory .

Old physics said that a body, if not moved by another, tends to stay put. Newton denied this, saying that the strength of its own inertia keeps each body forever in its present state, either of rest or uniform straight-line motion. Just one problem: if the motion is eternal, it makes no sense to speak of "present state" except in reference to an living observer gifted with the sense of temporality. In eternal motion, all is flux and impermanence. There is no "state" - whether of rest or motion. "State" is just a subjective impression that the observer, himself involved in the general movement, perceives when measuring the physical movements through his interior time. The attempt to construct a purely mathematical universe independent of human perception makes everything depends on human perception. The materialistic physics is founded upon idealistic metaphysics.

The contradiction is so striking, that it's scandalous that for so many centuries almost no one noticed, or at least expressly noted.

But the ostensible absurdity contained within itself another even worse. All motion is, by definition, a change that occurred within a given time scale. If you indefinitely stretch the limits of time, there will be no possible difference between change and permanence, between happening and not happening. "Eternal Movement" is self-contradictory concept.

They say that Newton was the prototype of the distracted genius, that his math had to be corrected by his assistants, that once he was found in the kitchen boiling a clock and looking intently at an egg. I do not know if these anecdotes are true, but it is a fact that he devoted more time to occult studies than to anything we would today call "science." He was a huge weirdo, and apparently made mistakes not only in math and cuisine minutia, but also on the very foundations of his theory.

His three main critics - Leibniz, Goethe and Einstein - always spoke of him respectfully, but I have the impression that inside they laughed a bit at the old man. The first one noted that reducing objects to their "primary qualities" of measure and movement, as required by the mechanical theory, resulted in making them perfectly nonexistent. The second tried to show that the qualities of light were correlated to human vision; failed, but at least made it clear that a newtonian could only reject his thesis arguing against himself. The third, by restricting the scope of the principles of Newton to a limited field of reality, proved the total subjectivism of these principles, since the limits of that area were the perception of human macroscopic.

His admirers, however, reached to the the heigths of bullshit in devotion to the English scientist. The poet Alexander Pope compared Newton's theory to a new biblical fiat lux. Voltaire did not go that far, but squirmed in such a way in an attempt to rid his guru of the charge of being father of modern atheism, which leaves in the air the suspicion that he had been just that.

The problem with Newtonian physics is that when a guy takes a self-contradictory argument as if it were a definitive truth, the unperceived contradiction takes refuge in the unconscious and damages all logic intelligence of the poor sod. Newton not only spread atheism in Western culture: he spread the virus of a formidable stupidity. A portion of the intellectual elite have already healed, but the perception of reality by the masses (including university micro-intellectual masses) are still afflicted by the disease of Newtonianism. The amount of nonsense that it explains is as infinite as is the universe of Newton.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
This man is literally insane, like this is timecube level insanity. Seriously why hasn't he been committed? I could swear he seems like a villain from a Robert Anton WIlson novel.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If anyone who cant read portuguese is interested to check how crazy he actually is, there is his famous debate with Dugin, in english:

http://debateolavodugin.blogspot.com.br

But as I said before: he might be insane, but he is the real mentor of the current brazilian neoconservatives. More and more often we see non-crazy people parroting his ideas around and its getting worrisome.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Carvalho's list if insane beliefs is literally too long to list here, or anywhere. This is the guy who right after the 9/11 attacks published an op-ed piece on a big weekly magazine (Época) saying that we were all fools and the attacks were OBVIOUSLY a russian communist assault. He was dropped shortly after that, but media always kept finding reasons to give him space and money.

He also had a string of pieces detailing how the country's biggest Tv network, Globo, who was built up by the military dictatorship and exherts humungous power over brazilian society, was compromised by communists because one of their soap Operas, "Kubanacan", featured cuban immigrants, and therefore was pro Fidel Castro.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

If anyone who cant read portuguese is interested to check how crazy he actually is, there is his famous debate with Dugin, in english:

http://debateolavodugin.blogspot.com.br

But as I said before: he might be insane, but he is the real mentor of the current brazilian neoconservatives. More and more often we see non-crazy people parroting his ideas around and its getting worrisome.

This guy can't be for real. American Christian nationalism is the last bastion against Russochinese-Islamist globalism? What?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

goatse.cx posted:

This guy can't be for real. American Christian nationalism is the last bastion against Russochinese-Islamist globalism? What?

This is the man who will save Brazil from becoming the new Cuba #ForaPT

I'm going to an event at my university about Brazilian media next week, will report back with anything interesting.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

goatse.cx posted:

That's basically his gimmick: he mimics crazy teaparty-like paranoia against communism, and then uses it to bash PT and social movements.

And its selling like hotcakes (http://www.amazon.com.br/gp/bestsellers/books/7842837011/ref=zg_bs_nav_b_1_b)

EDIT: and about that debate, I was rereading some parts. Its funny how even a radical conservative like Dugin seems pretty sane and reasonable compared to Olavo. Some highlights:

quote:

The Syndicate is an organization of big capitalists and international bankers committed to establishing a worldwide socialist dictatorship (we will see shortly why socialist). There are so many documents and studies that meticulously depict its origin, history, membership, and modus operandi that no excuse can be accepted for ignorance in this matter, most of all from people who intend to opine about it. No, this is not an insinuation against Professor Dugin. He is perfectly informed about it, and if he commits errors in the conclusions he presents, it is not due to ignorance. It is because the essentially bellicose nature of his approach impels him to divide the panorama into two symmetrically opposed halves, falsifying the whole picture and sending to the limbo of non-existence all the facts that refute this Manichean simplification.
So abundant is the bibliography on the Syndicate that any attempt to summarize it here would be vain. All that can be done is to indicate some essential titles, which the reader will find mentioned here and there in this exposition, and to highlight some points which are indispensable for the understanding of this debate.
1. The Syndicate was formed more than a hundred years ago by initiative of the Rothschilds, a mutlipolar family, with branches in England, France, and Germany since at least the eighteenth century.
2. The Syndicate gathers a few hundreds of billionaire families for the accomplishment of global plans that ensure the continuity and expansion of their power over the entire terrestrial orb. These are very long-term plans, transcending the duration of the lives of individual members of the organization and even of the historical existence of many states and nations involved in the process.
3. The Syndicate is a dynastic organization, whose continuity of action is secured by the succession from parents to children since many generations. We will see below (§ 9 “Geopolitics and History”) that this type of continuity is the distinguishing factor between the true agent subjects of the historical process and the apparent formations, as venerable as they may be, which flutter upon the surface of epochs as Chinese shadows projected on a wall.

And the photo he uses to prove the difference between him and Dugin

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 3, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

How did this guy acquire any influence, again? I know, water carrier for the well-off, but surely there have to be more...sane people willing to play that sort of stooge in a country of 200 million? This is as if Lyndon LaRouche had Ted Cruz levels of influence, correct me if that analogy is way off but that's how it appears to an American.

Echoing Elias_Maluco, anyone who can make Alexander goddamn Dugin look reasonable in a debate belongs in an institution.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 3, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Just saw an article about this:

Holy poo poo :psyduck:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think his ideas are that influential, at least no ideas that aren't "PT is destroying us". What you gotta understand is that a fair portion of Brazilians will support anyone that goes against PT - and Olavo just so happens to be an anti-PT stooge with a nice speaking platform. I would wager that most people sharing his articles don't even know about his far-off beliefs. Hell, even the SFL kids wouldn't stand by him if they hadn't this common enemy.

Badger of Basra posted:

Just saw an article about this:

Holy poo poo :psyduck:

...that's dumb. Literally referencing slave ships in your brand is pretty dumb. Then again, have you tried ordering Chinese in Brazil? The branding is...interesting.

Dias fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 3, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's because there were almost no influent conservative philosophers and thinkers since the dictatorship. It was majorly a conflict between neoliberal and socialist thought in politics during the 90s and 00s, with social conservatism usually a thing relegated to the religious politicians.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
How do you Brazilians feel about being classified as Latin Americans?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

TheImmigrant posted:

How do you Brazilians feel about being classified as Latin Americans?

Portuguese is a Romance language, though, so vOv.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Future Days posted:

Portuguese is a Romance language, though, so vOv.

Then French-Canadians are Latin American too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

TheImmigrant posted:

Then French-Canadians are Latin American too.

Doesn't count, they are a subjugated peoples under the anglo empire of tyranny :canada:

Seriously though, portuguese is also an iberian language. Brazilians (who live away from the borders) generally feel kinda distanced from general hispanic american culture, but no one would question we're a part of latin america.

This remembers me of a funny linguistic quirk in brazilian-hispanic mutual understanding, apparently it's way harder for spanish-speakers to learn portuguese than the other way around because while all spanish syllables and sounds exist within the portuguese language there are a lot of intonations and language structures specific to portuguese (and brazilian portuguese). This results in a lot of brazilian tourists who never formally learned spanish to go around latin america speaking a weird portuñol and getting by just fine, while brazilian hotels and businesses in touristic cities generally keep spanish-fluent staff.