Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Bohemian Nights posted:

This update looks good, but did the AWP really need that nerf? I guess maybe this gives the unaffected scout a bit more utility, but it still seems a bit harsh.

no it didnt and it is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Some people were on a tear with the MP9 today, and the MP7 and even Mac-10 were able to hit and kill things. It's nice to see people using them again but we'll just have to see just how good they are compared to what everyone's used to at this point.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

nftyw posted:

Some people were on a tear with the MP9 today, and the MP7 and even Mac-10 were able to hit and kill things. It's nice to see people using them again but we'll just have to see just how good they are compared to what everyone's used to at this point.

They're good for rounds when you can't full buy now, or maybe 2nd round after you win pistol.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Valve really doesn't want you to eco in this game.

Fat Lou posted:

smoke sucks. takes to long
Is it faster than the standard one off the car wall? This seems like it'd be faster.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

mcvey posted:

Is it faster than the standard one off the car wall? This seems like it'd be faster.

nope, it pops after they are out the doors

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

GO would be perfectly fine with MR12

Fat Lou posted:

nope, it pops after they are out the doors
so can the other one, but it's only usually like 1.5 T's

mcvey fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 1, 2015

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

henne posted:

A second update?

probably to fix the hosed up train spawns

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

Akumos posted:

maybe 2nd round after you win pistol.

People did this before armor/light rifle became more common. The smgs were already plenty viable and the p90 is the tec9 of smgs

mcvey posted:

Valve really doesn't want you to eco in this game.

hasnt the games balance always helped enable that though? ecos succeed more often than in previous games from what i can tell, even without the deagle

remember mp5 spraydowns

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 1, 2015

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

hasnt the games balance always helped enable that though? ecos succeed more often than in previous games from what i can tell, even without the deagle

Yeah I worded that wrong.

Valve really doesn't want you to be totally helpless in GO. There are few rounds in this game when you should be stuck without a weapon capable of getting a frag or two(whether it's a tec9/5-7, a Nova, scout, and to a lesser extent the p250) nowadays. Adding in the loser bonus money helped as well. Count your full ecos next game, it's probably less than 2-3 a half, unless you're getting totally money hosed. I don't think you had those options in 1.6 and Source outside of the Deagle.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Checked out the mp9 for a couple of DM games, the gun feels really fun and good now. Gonna check it out as a 2nd round or eco weapon for sure.

My DM games have also become infinitely more enjoyable once I discovered that you can buy the Zeus in them, and now I've used it so much I think I'm gonna have to start luxury-buying it in MM.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

People did this before armor/light rifle became more common. The smgs were already plenty viable and the p90 is the tec9 of smgs

You're talking to Grand P90 Master Akumos

Akumos fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 1, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Is the UMP a bad gun? I never see anyone using it yet I tend to do some of my best with it.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Dezztroy posted:

Is the UMP a bad gun? I never see anyone using it yet I tend to do some of my best with it.

Paging Drinkfist to this thread.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Dezztroy posted:

It's ok. Envyus used it a lot during the last 2 lans. Obviously you shouldn't be rushing long a with it but for eco spraydowns or jumping someone it's fine.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I can't comment fully having not played with them yet, but these were some very necessary nerfs. Tec-9 was broken, the A1-S is still too strong, and the AWP is bizarrely stronger than it ever has been in CS despite lots of people saying it isn't. If you look at all the top rated players, the vast majority are dedicated AWPers. The only exceptions, ignoring NiKo and v1c7or, are shox, GTR and f0rest, who happen to just be on the most successful teams throughout CS.

JW, device, KennyS, fxy0, s1mple, GuardiaN, allu, etc.

flipsid3, Titan, Na'Vi, and previously 3DMAX were all literally built around their AWPer.

The only thing I don't know is if this movement penalty will just add more fuel to the CT sided bias. But the options seem really limited when it comes to nerfing the gun itself.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Are the Autosniper and P90 and newly buffed SMGs usable at any reasonable skill level or do they only exist to mess with trash tier players like me.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Elman posted:

Are the Autosniper and P90 and newly buffed SMGs usable at any reasonable skill level or do they only exist to mess with trash tier players like me.

P90 is amazing at close range when you're poo poo, I know because I'm poo poo.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'd say that if you can land shots with any amount of consistency than you'd probably favor the AWP over an auto or an M4A1 or AK over an SMG on most maps. If played to their strengths there are times and places where an auto or smg shines but you have to look for them versus the main rifles which are more versatile.

That said the SMGs got so much better that it feels like they can actually compete.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Jeza posted:

I can't comment fully having not played with them yet, but these were some very necessary nerfs. Tec-9 was broken, the A1-S is still too strong, and the AWP is bizarrely stronger than it ever has been in CS despite lots of people saying it isn't. If you look at all the top rated players, the vast majority are dedicated AWPers. The only exceptions, ignoring NiKo and v1c7or, are shox, GTR and f0rest, who happen to just be on the most successful teams throughout CS.

JW, device, KennyS, fxy0, s1mple, GuardiaN, allu, etc.

flipsid3, Titan, Na'Vi, and previously 3DMAX were all literally built around their AWPer.

The only thing I don't know is if this movement penalty will just add more fuel to the CT sided bias. But the options seem really limited when it comes to nerfing the gun itself.

Awp has always been the best weapon in cs. Why would you say its more powerful now?

Nerfing movement speed is a really boring change to fix something that wasn't a problem. T side was hard enough as it was.

Norton fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 1, 2015

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

mcvey posted:

Yeah I worded that wrong.

Valve really doesn't want you to be totally helpless in GO. There are few rounds in this game when you should be stuck without a weapon capable of getting a frag or two(whether it's a tec9/5-7, a Nova, scout, and to a lesser extent the p250) nowadays. Adding in the loser bonus money helped as well. Count your full ecos next game, it's probably less than 2-3 a half, unless you're getting totally money hosed. I don't think you had those options in 1.6 and Source outside of the Deagle.

Yup. And from a spectator perspective, that's a good thing. The changes seem to be attempting to directly address the current most broken imbalance between the strength of pistols relative to the weaponry that the winner of the pistol round can afford to buy (FAMAS, galil, SMGs). So they are trying to address it by making SMGs stronger and pistols a bit weaker, but they obviously still want the pistols to be competitive choices for eco rounds. What they don't want is what you used to see in 1.6, which is eco rounds being complete throwaways because teams knew they couldn't win them. Watching pro matches now, you see maybe 1-2 rounds per half of "full eco". Honestly, I think it's kind of fun to watch teams like EnvyUs totally embrace the gamble and buy out pistols/scouts on the 2nd and 3rd rounds (and then full eco the 4th if they lose both) and create total chaos, but there is definitely also something competitively broken about watching a team lose the pistol round and then having a really good chance of just totally crushing the full buy on the next round. They just need to keep tweaking the balance until they get it right, I think.

As for the AWP changes, I have no idea. Wasn't necessary. And aggressive AWPing is one of the coolest things to watch when kennyS or JW just do inhuman things.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Norton posted:

Awp has always been the best weapon in cs. Why would you say its more powerful now?

Nerfing movement speed is a really boring change to fix something that wasn't a problem. T side was hard enough as it was.

I agree that the nerf sounds (not tried it) not ideal. And that it would seem to disproportionately affect the T side, when the game is already veering close to ridiculously CT sided.

Anyway, the AWP is more of a presence now than it ever has been. Nowadays it isn't unheard of for a team to be rocking 3 AWPs at a time.

There is no denying the AWP is the most impactful gun in the game, and it should stay that way. But at the moment it seems too successful. Although there is no quickscope, it just seems like AWPing has become almost too easy. I can tell you, I rarely ever picked up the AWP in Source (im gay) because I couldn't make it work. In CS:GO, even though it's based on the same engine, I pick up the AWP every game at some point pretty much, despite having been a rifler for all of time, since I find it so easy to use. The same is true all over pro teams now in a way that it never was. Any pro player can pick up the AWP now, if they have the cash.

Weapons in CS are balanced in two ways:

1) Objectively - so how easy are they to use fundamentally, do they have a learning curve. Quake railgun is just a point and click weapon, it is objectively easy for anybody to understand and use. AK47 in CS:GO requires a bunch of practice to get down. It's "hard".

2) Relatively - mostly guns in a game are balanced against one another. If one gun is OK and all other guns are poo poo, it makes that gun amazing. Everybody will use it. CS traditionally had a very simple structure. Pistols (except deag) were trash, SMGs were almost trash, shotguns were trash, the only good guns were rifles. In CS:GO, things are more complex. Now all the guns have a place, except the LMGs and a few outliers. Relatively speaking, normal rifles are worse than they ever have been.

Pistols are so strong now that they are a valid contender against rifles like famas and galil. It's hard to tell whether rifles are too weak or other weapons are too strong, but the effect is the same.

For me, anecdotally, and looking at the facts, the AWP is more dominant now than it ever has been. Either the AWP is too strong, or its competitors are too weak. And pistols are just stupid. 5-7 and Tec-9 were/are objectively easy (high running accuracy, large magazine) and also relatively strong (1 bullet headshot, good armor pen) and part of the reason AWPers are having such an easy time of it, because they effectively carry a pretty decent rifle in their pocket for the price of a smoke + flash.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
The AWP has been the strongest gun since the very beginning, and it's just been getting more and more nerfed as time goes on.

It's still really good, and I think it'll be nerfed more eventually..

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 1, 2015

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

How are you all ignoring the biggest and most important change?

Also I finally ranked up from SEM to Nova 1 after playing 3 matches at GNM/MG1 with friends and doing well in 2 of them.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Someone post a chicken kill log message because I think they might possibly break the gpskill log parser

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
ChikenTrak modules for next update valve.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Now that I know that killing chickens can come back to haunt me later I've become a lot more conscious about doing it.

Imagine dudebro69 reminding you that 'You've killed more chickens than players in our last match' after a loss.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Something I never knew before reading that article on tagging:

quote:

Decay
When you are tagged, the slowdown penalty does not last forever and decays rapidly. The decay will only happen when your feet are on the ground and you aren't currently being shot.

If you've been tagged and your New Speed is at 20%, you will make a full movement recovery in about 2 seconds. If you're tagged and your movement has been reduced to 40%, it'll take about a second and a half to recover fully.

I need to break my habit of jumping out of sight whenever I get shot :\

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item
I'm sure everyone hates this guy.

New Nuke Changes Revealed: http://youtu.be/fit_Atopbd8

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Ephedra posted:

Warowl is a dummy and the fact that the CS:GO devs are now working closely with him says everything I need to know about the state of this game. God loving damnit

e: vvv ghuacnaskls; vvv

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 1, 2015

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ephedra posted:

it's april 1st :ssh:

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

Crain posted:

it's april 1st :ssh:

Lollllllll I'm dumb :)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Necc0 posted:

Warowl is a dummy and the fact that the CS:GO devs are now working closely with him says everything I need to know about the state of this game. God loving damnit

:allears:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ephedra posted:

Lollllllll I'm dumb :)

Did you manage to watch it to the point where he said they were making all of the walls "paper thin aluminum, allowing for wallbangs from one spawn to the next"? It got pretty obvious toward the end.

I chuckled though.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah I didn't even bother watching it because he turns me into my av in about 5 seconds

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Necc0 posted:

Yeah I didn't even bother watching it because he turns me into my av in about 5 seconds

lol why? He never seemed to be particularly annoying to me.

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

Crain posted:

Did you manage to watch it to the point where he said they were making all of the walls "paper thin aluminum, allowing for wallbangs from one spawn to the next"? It got pretty obvious toward the end.

I chuckled though.

Didn't watch it.. No wifi. (on phone)

deetee
Apr 22, 2008

Necc0 posted:

Steel!?

bonafideb3ast
Sep 14, 2013

:pwn: of all the goofy poo poo in this game this is what upsets you most?
Yes. But to be fair it's in a tight race with the Tec-9

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZdJ-78FOo8

Nade tagging really is the new meta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror