Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

OhYeah posted:

In a few days time I'm going to check all the sites were Russian posters usually go full retard with stuff like "F-22 fail plane PAK-FA is superiority in eavry way!1!" and just post "PAK-FA canceled lol xa xa xa". Repeatedly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_brigades

Just ask them how much Krokodil 85 rubles per comment buys this time of year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I saw an "article" about a USMC project to adopt the A-10 from the Air Force and adapt it for carrier operations and wanted to share the pics.

Yes, the very reliable source was dated from today, why do you ask?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Cat Mattress posted:

I saw an "article" about a USMC project to adopt the A-10 from the Air Force and adapt it for carrier operations and wanted to share the pics.

Yes, the very reliable source was dated from today, why do you ask?

shadows man :tinfoil:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Wasn't there very serious discussions of a naval A-10 at some stage of development?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Well there was that thing in THFRO where they mock-strafe the Kirov :v:

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Mortabis posted:

Well there was that thing in THFRO where they mock-strafe the Kirov :v:

I dont remember this part...

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Saint Celestine posted:

Red Storm Rising

Red Storm Rising had A-10s but they were busy shooting at tanks, not ships.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

I dont remember this part...

It's to scare off / prove to the Soviets that MURICA owns the Atlantic -- IIRC they mock strafe and drop flares all over the deck.

e: Also a reminder that they're within range of land-based strike aircraft from the East Coast with no to little air cover of their own, which IIRC the Admiral fully recognizes and curses the stupid plan.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

Anyone able to confirm whether csmonitor is a decent site? I'm under the impression they've got their poo poo straight the vast majority of the time. If so...

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2015/0327/Grounded-Russia-s-answer-to-US-next-gen-fighter-hits-the-skids

Russia is slashing its T-50 (aka PAK-FA) plans to a dozen aircraft in total. :psyduck:

Cant find any other info though aside from some Indian sites, and knowing their involvement in the project and the politics surrounding it I'm not too sure if they should be taken at their word yet.

Uhhh the christian science monitor is one of the most highly regarded and reputable new orgs in the world..

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Saw a fantastic cold war anecdote in yospos, gotta share it with this thread:

Muscle Tracer posted:

after world war two my grandfather ran a side business called ~chute 'n' chicken~ out in rural illinois with his army air corps buddies. you'd ring them, order a fried chicken, and they'd drop it to you from a biplane with military precision. they made enough money to keep buying chickens and airplane fuel, but literally nothing other than that. we've still got some fridge magnets and poo poo, i think my uncle still has one of the chutes. no clue how they got paid.

god loving drat the 50s must've been awesome

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Going to http://www.afarmamentmuseum.com/ tomorrow! I hope its half as cool as http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/ ! Anyone have a favorite thing to see their I should keep my eyes out for?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

"Kids love learning about bombs and missiles."

Awesome website

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I felt very dumb after spending several seconds trying to figure out just what the hell would be on display in a Farmament museum.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

hailthefish posted:

I felt very dumb after spending several seconds trying to figure out just what the hell would be on display in a Farmament museum.

Plowshares. :v:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Going to http://www.afarmamentmuseum.com/ tomorrow! I hope its half as cool as http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/ ! Anyone have a favorite thing to see their I should keep my eyes out for?

I've only been outside, but the Blackbird and first AC-130 are pretty neat.

Hunterhr posted:

Plowshares. :v:

:golfclap:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Try to see if they allow you to pull a Slim Pickens on the MOAB outside.

There's also a GAU-8 on display there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Try to see if they allow you to pull a Slim Pickens on the MOAB outside.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

:catstare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There's also this one right outside that's way more photogenic:

And I don't see a "please don't ride our bombs" sign clearly placed anywhere around the MOAB or Tallboy, but I'm pretty sure it's implied, since you could probably hurt yourself pretty damned good slipping off and falling from either of them.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 4, 2015

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
^^^^ big bomb

leetle bomb

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And I don't see a "please don't ride our bombs" sign clearly placed anywhere around the MOAB or Tallboy, but I'm pretty sure it's implied, since you could probably hurt yourself pretty damned good slipping off and falling from either of them.

I love the idea of a general purpose bomb, as if it's some sort of Leatherman and not an implement of turning large things into small things. Oh, and it digs holes. See, two purposes!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Air burst it high enough, you could use it to level those icky forests/hills/cities for a solid foundations for future bases or parking lots. :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

LingcodKilla posted:

It's pretty sweet, my favorite thing was just the array of aircraft they have parked outside. I'd never really appreciated how damned gigantic and boxy a B-52 is. Like someone found the biggest RV ever built and then welded wings onto it.

They also have this majestic devil, fittingly named Big Tail, parked out on the front lawn.

As a GPS guy, I also liked the fancy space age technology on the rear end end of the MOAB. L1 and L2!

Finally, once inside, I quickly happened upon America.png.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 4, 2015

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
e: ^^^ the fact that they retired those makes me wonder what the insane classified thing they replaced them with looks like ^^^
ee: and no one say "high resolution satellites" because that's just boring :colbert:

Back Hack posted:

Air burst it high enough, you could use it to level those icky forests/hills/cities for a solid foundations for future bases or parking lots. :v:

Nah, they make special stuff for that

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Hubis posted:

e: ^^^ the fact that they retired those makes me wonder what the insane classified thing they replaced them with looks like ^^^

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PittTheElder posted:

They also have this majestic devil, fittingly named Big Tail, parked out on the front lawn.

SU-71 Flankbird?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hubis posted:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Hubis posted:

ee: and no one say "high resolution satellites" because that's just boring :colbert:

Tangent, but I have a crazy coworker who was in the Navy who said that the engineers he talked to claimed they took the -71 to Mach 6 at 300kft
:allears:

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Please report back and let us know if you can ride a bomb. I will go to Florida just for the Slim Pickens photo op.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Spaced God posted:

Tangent, but I have a crazy coworker who was in the Navy who said that the engineers he talked to claimed they took the -71 to Mach 6 at 300kft
:allears:

This guy is totally insane but I was curious HOW insane so I went looking. Atmospheric density at 85,000 feet which is about max SR-71 altitude is .714 inches mercury. 300,000 feet is .0004.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Alaan posted:

This guy is totally insane but I was curious HOW insane so I went looking. Atmospheric density at 85,000 feet which is about max SR-71 altitude is .714 inches mercury. 300,000 feet is .0004.

300,000 feet is at the Karman line. You'd need orbital velocity just to maintain lift. The SR-71 is cool, but it ain't an SSTO spaceplane.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Did he just get it confused with the X-15, with a top speed of Mach 6 and altitude limit right around 90km (300,000ft)?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Saint Celestine posted:

Please report back and let us know if you can ride a bomb. I will go to Florida just for the Slim Pickens photo op.

Without a doubt.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

Oh, I don't live anywhere near Eglin - I've just been there before, and unfortunately at that time I was young enough that 1) the MOAB wasn't there, and 2) wouldn't have been able to climb up onto either bomb without one or both of my parents going apeshit about me potentially hurting myself. =/

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

LingcodKilla posted:

So there's a running joke in GiP about a certain bench (that is no longer there) at the AF Armament Museum where a certain female in an AF uniform is pleasuring herself.

Outside of that there's the obvious stuff at the Armament Museum...ride the MOAB and/or Cloudmaker (not really, but you could probably do it), check out the insane amount of weaponry in the small arms vault (seriously, they've got like every semi-major automatic weapon made for the last half-century and then some across pretty much every country), also check out the totally not from Constant Peg MiG-21 they've got outside as well as the BUFF, SR-71, and B-47, also the AC-130 (the last of the AC-130A's that were rolling with AFRC, has some great nose art) as well as the Pave Low (one of the last Pave Lows in active service), also the Spooky AC-47 that's there. It's a great museum.

lol RQ-180 bro

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh, I don't live anywhere near Eglin - I've just been there before, and unfortunately at that time I was young enough that 1) the MOAB wasn't there, and 2) wouldn't have been able to climb up onto either bomb without one or both of my parents going apeshit about me potentially hurting myself. =/

So seriously, both the T-12 and the MOAB are parked outside without any sort of ready security presence (it's a really laid back museum), so I'm sure anyone who so desired could get a Slim Pickens photo op on either bomb.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

lol RQ-180 bro
Much like Aurora, I'll believe it when it's more substantial than a wikipedia article.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Saint Celestine posted:

For the record, you totally could. It's just out on the front lawn, nobody is guarding the things. I was pretty surprised they had an SR-71 there where you can just reach out and touch the thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They can't afford to repaint these things more than once every 10-15 years. You think there's money for someone to keep watch over them? :lol:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

For the record, you totally could. It's just out on the front lawn, nobody is guarding the things. I was pretty surprised they had an SR-71 there where you can just reach out and touch the thing.

Hrm.... yes.

Dont touch that.

Sounds like a challenge.

Nose art!

Had a blast! Worth your time if you are in within two hours or so drive. Had no problem coming from Pensacola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I would also promote the super beautiful beaches that are 20 minutes south of there, though for anyone who is living in/around Florida that's probably nothing new.