Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it's important to carefully position your library when you're taking screenshots of your music app so that it shows sleater-kinney or belle and sebastian or chvrches, and not your countless kylie minogue or britney spears albums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

graph posted:

at least someone has good taste in tunes over there

remember when thurott lost it over the study showing win phone people listen to old bad music

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

univbee posted:

their intention was for computers with windows 10 on them to be available in time for back-to-school sales in august, meaning they would probably have to hit rtm in late june/early july at the latest

at this point i think all companies of the world are just going to form a "let's just stay on windows 7" pact and get lobbyists to force microsoft into releasing security updates for it forever

for some reason i still periodically get tech recruiter emails from a resume i posted somewhere in 2006. the latest one was actually something i could have done pretty well if i was still in texas and gave a gently caress. a business is migrating their couple thousand or so computers from winXP to windows 7.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

this poo poo may be babytown frolics, but it's completely normal in beta software. if you're expecting a better experience you've never beta tested a microsoft product before

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

roots manuva is the only one of those I've heard of but I'm mainly laughing at the acres of wasted space in every er windows app

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's important to carefully position your library when you're taking screenshots of your music app so that it shows sleater-kinney or belle and sebastian or chvrches, and not your countless kylie minogue or britney spears albums

nor black people other than those worth >$10 million

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003

quote:

The feature that Microsoft does hope will win people over to Project Spartan is the Cortana integration. Type certain things into the address bar and Spartan will show you structured, meaningful information. Select text on a page and you can similarly "Ask Cortana," and you'll see a structured response. At the moment, this is quite a bit more limited than it is on Windows Phone. Although Cortana on the Phone—and Bing, which powers everything—understands, for example, flight numbers, Spartan doesn't. No doubt more features will be plumbed in as the browser is developed, as will be more languages and countries: currently, Cortana only works in the US, using English.

WHY?

lol why is the spartan cortana not the same service as the phone cortana?

two browsers, two stores, two cortanas, a focused company

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

roybot9000 posted:

two browsers, two stores, two cortanas, a focused company

cloud first, mobile first

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003

quote:

As an odd quirk of development, Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10 still has the slight edge in terms of Web standards compatibility. While the capability will be removed in due course, Internet Explorer can still use Edge. Moreover, Internet Explorer allows various experimental features to be turned on through its "about :config" page. While a similar experimental opt-in capability is coming to Spartan, it's not there yet.

This creates the slightly odd situation that Microsoft's cutting edge, legacy-free browser scores 375 (out of 555) on html5test.com's scoring system, but Microsoft's old legacy browser can currently be coaxed into scoring 387.

The old legacy browser is more "standards compliant" then the new cutting edge standards compliant browser. Amazing

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

roybot9000 posted:

The old legacy browser is more "standards compliant" then the new cutting edge standards compliant browser. Amazing

if you have to go into some super special extra hidden menu and enable "experimental features" then it shouldnt count

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

chome is 493 points, lol ms

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

roybot9000 posted:

that test is a retarded piece of poo poo. you lose 7 points for not supporting non-standard codecs.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 1, 2015

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

if you have to go into some super special extra hidden menu and enable "experimental features" then it shouldnt count

agreed.

slightly related, but if you use chrome:

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

hmm yeah good point.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

carry on then posted:

they could release september 19th and still be in summer by one day

rtm has to be at least a couple of months ahead of the street date so manufacturers have time to load up their images with bloatware and make sure their junk laptops and whatnot are in stores on the release date.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

microsoft would be in such a better position if they stopped cementing release dates in advance of the actual product completion.

that's what hosed up windows 8, it's what hosed up the master chef collection, it's what's going to gently caress up windows 10,

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
makes sense. the serious business computing company has already hosed up ui design, qa, and backward compatibility, might as well yolo the ship dates and go to valve time as well while we're at it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

that's what hosed up windows 8, it's what hosed up the master chef collection, it's what's going to gently caress up windows 10,

windows 8 could have been pushed back a year and it still would have been a pile of poo poo. bad design is bad design no matter how much you try to polish it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The_Franz posted:

windows 8 could have been pushed back a year and it still would have been a pile of poo poo. bad design is bad design no matter how much you try to polish it.
8.1 is still a pile of poo poo, 10 looking to be worse somehow

i think they'd be better off without the polish at this point

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
we're finally going from xp to 7 at work over the next few months

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i think they'd be better off without the polish at this point

hey gently caress you man

polska na zawsze

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ps. when I am opening a file from my desktop I am not downloading it, office programs :argh:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

i'd be surprised if they even bother to package another service pack

that version of microsoft is long gone

they have been very open that they will not, you won't even see an update rollup. absolutely no favors to an OS that is in extended maintenance

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

PleasureKevin posted:

After years of hard work, Panay and his team had cost the company nearly $1 billion.

aaaaah hahahahaha

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duTrieux. posted:

nor black people other than those worth >$10 million

the heavy has a black frontman

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Lysidas posted:

aaaaah hahahahaha

that is legit hard work wasting so much cash

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

cthulhoo posted:

that is legit hard work wasting so much cash1

[1] Brewster's Millions. Dir. Walter Hill. Perf. Richard Pryor, John Candy, and Lonette McKee. Universal City Studios, Inc., 1985. Film.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

okay, so these bugs are lolworthy as gently caress, but you do realize you're on the fast release beta path right?

for the longest time there was absolutely no supported upgrade path between beta releases. there basically still isn't now, they just try to hide it from the user since these are all public facing

this poo poo may be babytown frolics, but it's completely normal in beta software. if you're expecting a better experience you've never beta tested a microsoft product before

Hahaha were you not around for the Windows 8 beta. Same line of bullshit "yeah they'll fix everything" and they basically shipped the customer preview as is.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol someone forgot to re-skin these title bars

they're not even windows 8 style :shepface:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Does that use MDI?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

lol someone forgot to re-skin these title bars

they're not even windows 8 style :shepface:

lol

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

[1] Brewster's Millions. Dir. Walter Hill. Perf. Richard Pryor, John Candy, and Lonette McKee. Universal City Studios, Inc., 1985. Film.

lol

e: lol mdi childe windows holy poo poo gently caress oh god

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pseudorandom name posted:

Does that use MDI?

i don't think so. the install went crazy fast (i barely had time to get a screenshot) but i'm pretty sure it was a separate window though

most of the office apps seem to work (except for the 16-bit stuff obviously). windows 10 is updating is dumb idiot self but i'll post some sceeenshots of office when its done

e: actually now that you have me remembering installing poo poo way back then (:barf:) i think it probably is mdi

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 1, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

is the installer of windows X still using pseudo-glass windows or what

that was a lol-worthy thing in 8

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cthulhoo posted:

is the installer of windows X still using pseudo-glass windows or what

that was a lol-worthy thing in 8

it was in the first build at least. i think thats just what winpe titlebars look like

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

lmao so thats like

normal titlebars
metro poo poo titlebars [unsquished butans]
whatever that childe office installer poo poo was
pe installer
something else??

cool 90s linux desktops levels of consistency fuckin lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nah, '90s linux had consistent title bars everywhere, it was the application widgets that were bespoke unicorn snowflakes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

win10 report: all the built-in productivity apps are still broken. I completely uninstalled them with powershell and now the store actually launches but it gives me some unspecified error when I try to reinstall the productivity suite

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that reminds me, its impossible to uninstall Project Spartan via Remove-AppxPackage or Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage, unlike nearly every other bit of preinstalled garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

win10 report: all the built-in productivity apps are still broken. I completely uninstalled them with powershell and now the store actually launches but it gives me some unspecified error when I try to reinstall the productivity suite

lol productivity

ok

• Locked thread