Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Jesus Christ, that episode had the best body count in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

He doesn't like being called that

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Christ. Raylan's decision to commit career suicide was really the only move he had left. Though I wonder if that was Art's way of covering for him.

What an amazing mess.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Hahahahaha, Mikey and his stupid code.

Incredible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I guess they won't be playing tennis.

He's playing doubles in heaven now :(

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Irish Joe posted:

Hahahahaha, Mikey and his stupid code.

Incredible.

You take that back!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He's playing doubles in heaven now :(

I was literally thinking that exact line when he died.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Oh Snapple! posted:

Can we appreciate what a slimy, dumb gently caress Vasquez has been this season?

It's actually making me wonder if Vasquez has an agenda specifically to set up Raylan. I mean, Vasquez has never been totally cooperative with the Marshalls before but he's also never been this dumb, and he's going about things in the worst possible way. Why in the hell would you tell Raylan that Ava is going to jail no matter what, right before Raylan is going to use Ava to get at Boyd? He had to know that would make things go sideways. And then suddenly being certain that Raylan is conspiring with Ava to steal the money. If he is setting up Raylan, than this has been brilliant, if not, the writers wrote out half of his brain during the off-season.

This has been a great season regardless, and that last episode was awesome Poor Mikey, poor Carl.

Ghostpilot posted:

That and Carl had every intention on killing him. But man, even then I was shocked at how cold and casual Boyd was about shooting him.

Boyd's so charismatic that it's easy to forget he is kind of a monster who uses and discards people with no remorse. Carl's nothing more than a loose end at this point, and his brother is a weakness (and no way Boyd was going to storm the prison to break out Earl), so he had to go.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If I was Vasquez I'd probably allow myself to believe anything about Raylan in order to get him off the force. Goddamn, he must take up half the dude's time.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Boyd's so charismatic that it's easy to forget he is kind of a monster who uses and discards people with no remorse. Carl's nothing more than a loose end at this point, and his brother is a weakness (and no way Boyd was going to storm the prison to break out Earl), so he had to go.

I was Team Boyd until Carl. That crossed my code.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I hope Earl makes it, or at least goes out aiding the destruction of Boone.

I'm bummed to see both Mikey (excuse me, Michael) and Katherine go out. Older women often so often get shafted by television and film, but Justified's given us some great queenpins in her and Mags.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Doesn't help that he was just betrayed and shot by his fiancee, he's probably in a scorched-earth kind of mood right now.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
As a fan of Dallas sports talk radio, I'm loving this season and it's shout-outs to on air talent at 1310 AM The Ticket but VJ Boyd outdid himself by having a corpse named after Michael "Grubes" Gruber.

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertain...-the-ticket.ece

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
When Choo-Choo died I worried that the writers would do what they did last season and just kind of bump off characters no one cares about, but I felt every single death in this episode. Of course part of the impact is that Carl and Mikey have been around for a long time, but still. This gave me a lot of hope that this show will go out on a high.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011

The Mandingo posted:

As a fan of Dallas sports talk radio, I'm loving this season and it's shout-outs to on air talent at 1310 AM The Ticket but VJ Boyd outdid himself by having a corpse named after Michael "Grubes" Gruber.

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertain...-the-ticket.ece

It would have been fun if they wouldn't have used Rhynes last year so they could have named Grubes Rhynes and then issued the line of "Rhynes is dead"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

mdh1975 posted:

It would have been fun if they wouldn't have used Rhynes last year so they could have named Grubes Rhynes and then issued the line of "Rhynes is dead"
Why would that be funny? How many listeners/staff does this AM radio station have in the year 2015??

mewse
May 2, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

How did Mikey kill Katherine? It looked like they both took a bullet or two, and then he punched her or something. Brutal fight.

Seemed like he crushed her trachea or something

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm pretty sure Mike punched her in the windpipe; hit someone like that hard enough and it collapses.

Yeah

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Why would that be funny? How many listeners/staff does this AM radio station have in the year 2015??

I would imagine Dallas is still a solid market for sports radio.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The station simulcasts on FM too. It is built on inside jokes, and is unlike any other sports talk station I've listened to. "Rhyner is dead" is one of those jokes. Mike Rhyner is a Texas radio hall of fame member, a founding member of the Ticket, and an early program director of the station. Somewhere after the founding of the station, Mike tired of being referred to by his last name - he preferred being called Mike or Rhynes - so he eventually ignored anyone referring to him as Rhyner or would respond by saying "Rhyner is dead".

As for total listeners, I'm not sure but they're consistently the top rated station for men 18-54.

On air staff is 3 in the morning, 1 mid morning, 3 noon-3, and 2 for afternoon drive. It's different from other sports talk stations, the producers, board operators, and news anchors often interact with the on air talent, so the total on air staff is much larger. Kind of like Dan Patrick getting Paulie, Fritzy, Seton, and McLovin on the air with him, but much more often.

I can't stand Mike and Mike on ESPN now that I listen to the Ticket.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Wow, what an episode. We were speechless during the struggle in Wynn's "motor coach". The way he kept screaming MIIKE throughout, then Mike giving him the keys :(

Some of the best character writing on television. We live in a good time for TV.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

StarkRavingMad posted:

They played that well. The audience was probably being tugged toward sympathy for Boyd, and then yanked abruptly back into the reality of what he truly is capable of.

I wasn't too fond of the first few eps this season, it just seemed a jumbled mess. Beyond how it played out with Duffy this last episode, I could have given a rats rear end about whatserface's dead husband and who snitched on him. Her "well, but we were MARRIED" crap was pretty weak/stupid/dumb, but at lease it led to her well deserved death and the knuckles of Mikey.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Electromax posted:

Wow, what an episode. We were speechless during the struggle in Wynn's "motor coach". The way he kept screaming MIIKE throughout, then Mike giving him the keys :(

Will you hold me? :cry:

Have to think Duffy is pretty safe at this point.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Fog Tripper posted:

Raylan told Markham she died in Duffy's motorcoach, but not that Mike was the one who killed her. Markham could still go after Wynn, I guess.

We still haven't seen a real demonstration of Boon's skills and I figure someone has to be on the receiving end of that.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

User-Friendly posted:

Raylan told Markham she died in Duffy's motorcoach, but not that Mike was the one who killed her. Markham could still go after Wynn, I guess.

We still haven't seen a real demonstration of Boon's skills and I figure someone has to be on the receiving end of that.

True, but it would be pretty dumb to have the marshal service again allow someone to get past them to a witness/prisoner like they've been doing easily already. If Duffy isn't safely out of reach this point they are on the level of the FBI in The Following. All camel lip has left is Boone, and no real cash to speak of to temped anyone else.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

If I was Vasquez I'd probably allow myself to believe anything about Raylan in order to get him off the force. Goddamn, he must take up half the dude's time.

Agreed. Vasquez is slimy but his mini speech about his interpretation is perfectly valid.

1. "[Raylan] was banging her in the past." This is true right? I don't remember season 1.

2. "[Raylan] is likely banging her now." There was some romantic tension this episode, and from Vasquez's perspective it's not unthinkable.

3. "Their relationship compromised a criminal case back then." Also true.

4. "Ava shoots Raylan's -whatever you want to call Boyd- That's convenient." I mean, that does seem suspicious. The show literally has a character at the start of the episode say something to the effect of "Ava shot Boyd? I didn't see that coming!"

5. "And this Marshall who we have defended on countless questionable shootings, well he decides this time, he's going to holster his piece and wave goodbye." This is especially valid. If we're staying in universe, Raylan has a rampant history of solving his problems by shooting people. I mean, except for the girl weed dealer and his girlfriend who robbed him, that's how Raylan has solved every major crime element since returning to Kentucky.

Frankly I'm glad the show writers had Vasquez make this claim, because to be honest the end of last episode was super loving weak. The transaction of money from Markum to Boyd was stupid and the Ava escape was just slightly better. It's nice to have an in-universe character call out how unlikely the previous events seem to be.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Also this episode was great. There was a stretch of slow, boring episodes but it's nice to see things finishing strong.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

User-Friendly posted:

I really kinda hope they have Boone and Raylan stand off against each other, then Tim just apricots Boone from 100+ yards away.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

The Mandingo posted:

The station simulcasts on FM too. It is built on inside jokes, and is unlike any other sports talk station I've listened to.
Oh, okay. I wasn't surprised about terrestrial sports talk radio being popular but the AM designation.

10 Beers posted:

Tim just apricots Boone from 100+ yards away.
it would be more effective if he shot him with his rifle, throwing fruit is rude

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Christ. Raylan's decision to commit career suicide was really the only move he had left. Though I wonder if that was Art's way of covering for him.

What an amazing mess.

Well he was going to quit anyways.

User-Friendly posted:

Maybe we'll see some S1-Duffy if that were to happen.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I would be okay with Boone dying without firing a single round.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Loretta in the dining area with apple pie.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Boatswain posted:

Well he was going to quit anyways.

Here's what I don't get.

If Art gave him 48 hours, why did Raylan turn in his badge and federal ID?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Tide posted:

Here's what I don't get.

If Art gave him 48 hours, why did Raylan turn in his badge and federal ID?

Wasn't that a bluff after Raylan threatens to go/goes rogue?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

spankmeister posted:

I would be okay with Boone dying without firing a single round.

Here's how Boone needs to eat it after doing his showy gun tricks:

Also, Wynn is totally living through the series. He's a cockroach.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I figured Wynn might be in custody, but it's hard to say how good he is at disappearing. Raylan sure never had a problem finding him despite being mobile. He was cooperating with the feds, after all, and he didn't even kill anyone in self defense.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I had the most :stonk: face ever during michael's death scene

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Fog Tripper posted:

That was really touching. Mikey felt betrayed by his boss/mentor because of breaking the code, but he still loves the guy. He doesn't want him killed, he just wants him to answer for his betrayal.

RIP Mikey :(

Electromax
May 6, 2007
After just rewatching bits of this episode on my lunch break... I love all these awesome shows, but lemme just say, why the hell does Better Call Saul get 500 posts of people going HOLY poo poo when Chuck like touches a cellphone in the second scene, but there are like 5 posts here for an entire episode containing scenes like Boyd executing Carl and Mike overcoming 5 bullets to the chest. It seems like a lot of folks are like me and watching it on DVR the next day even?

This season deserves more eyeballs, more than ever now. People have always slept on Justified but drat I feel lucky to have watched this when it happened. The writers can go toe-to-toe with any show in the biz when they're on. It's been about 3 Ozymandiases in a row now.

e: What I'm saying is where are all the throbbing Reddit masses who froth over every frame of BCS and Game of Thrones for Justified. Is it the perceived cowboy thing? The "just another cop show" thing? I can think of few scenes that made me feel such a mixture of terror and hilarity... cued up to Pacabel no less. Emotional as hell.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 2, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking at the audience numbers on wiki this is actually the only season to have a real noticeable drop in viewers which is a bummer :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
A thought: we haven't seen Boone physically harm anyone on-screen, have we? I don't think we have.

If that's the case, it's even more impressive that he feels like such a dangerous and loathsome character in such a short amount of time. And it's a refreshing change from the "We need to introduce this guy as dangerous, let's have him shoot someone" mentality that cropped up a lot in previous seasons.

• Locked thread