Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

neillyb posted:

My awesome fiancee got me VIP tickets for the show in Paris - the first show of the European tour. Looking forward to it very much, but also a bit nervous! Not sure what to expect. Met him briefly before in Glasgow at GuitarGuitar in 2011 but this is, like, 20 minutes with them or something. The gently caress do I do?

Bring a board game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Bring a copy of that photo with a phone up his rear end and get it autographed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From Dev's tweeter, following up on that autobiography/personal philosophy book thing he was planning out last May:

quote:

Editing an autobiography is a hell of a thing... Zzzzzzzz

Ugh...gawd...typing makes me dizzy. Same with thinking about the past. Luckily this book isn't some Mötley Crüe dirt type thing.

I always draw a blank when people ask for 'crazy stories' ... One time...in band camp...

My point is more that I have a clear objective in life and music. Always have. I'm not here to party, you know?

Though apparently in looking back I've had my rear end and balls all over almost every situation that required tact. Classy.

there's a big difference between 'I snorted thumbtacks off a hookers rear end' vs 'once I got some weed and was sort of convinced I was a frog'..

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does Devin have any sort of retirement plan ? Will he be living on the street playing guitar outside the McDonald's on 6th ? Doing a real life performance of Deconstruction while making GBS threads diarrhea into a 5 gallon bucket and yelling about cheeseburgers.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The last handful of Casualties of Cool on vinyl just went on sale, was previously a pledgemusic exclusive reward. So grab it if you want it: http://www.jsrdirect.com/bands/omerch/casualties-of-cool-self-titled-12in-vinyl

It was going for $100~ on discogs, so this might be your one chance to get it at a reasonable price - http://www.discogs.com/Casualties-Of-Cool-Casualties-Of-Cool/release/5906167

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
edit: :downs:

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 13, 2015

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

nope

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to talk about Nightwish, but ehh. They just released a new music video with Floor Jansen, and while my inner 14-year old still likes everything that is cheesy about Nightwish this song just feels so incredibly bland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPonioDYnoY

Atleast the lyrics aren't about beautiful obese people, a little boy or an old man with his dolls in the attic anymore.
I would indeed like to see Devin Townsend dressed as Nightwish Lady #46 and singing opera but this is not the thread for our deepest fantasies.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Devin did this thing and I thought it was cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFqUmJY5x28

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Is your girlfriend or wife called Jane?
Does she have a birthday on the 27th of January?

If so, then feel free to use my totally rad "Custom Devin Townsend Birthday Song" next time she has a birthday :)
https://soundcloud.com/yannick-janssens-6/devin-townsend-happy-birthday-jane

Had to sit for a loooong time on that one before I could reveal my surprise...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

neillyb posted:

The gently caress do I do?

Ask him why I never received my pledge reward and why they're ignoring me.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Been re-exploring the back catalog lately. I really enjoy this dude's music, and his weird career trajectory too. You can so tell that Physicist was going to be something cool, and you can tell that he wanted to do more Biomech type stuff (hell, some of those songs are from his pre-Vai material, right?) but circumstances probably dictated otherwise. The good songs on Physicist are loving sick, too, love the last three especially. Physicist would have been a really interesting Strapping LP with most of the middle taken out.

What an accomplished artist. He shits on his own excellent production in his early work because he's gotten that much better at it. I wish I were that skilled at mixing anything, let alone everything. It's a lot of fun to listen to him pull off crazy stuff in a mix, adds a lot to listening to older albums for me. I still hear new poo poo in Terria, what a dense and layered mix.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are there any songs that have fart noises other than deconstruction ?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

jonathan posted:

He did a Rammstein remix with farts and banjos.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

More tickets just went on sale for the Royal Albert Hall and I managed to get 2 :)

there still seems to be more left if you are quick though all the ticket sites seem to be terrible thismorning (heres hoping my 2 booking numbers turn into 2 tickets)

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I'm still a bit annoyed that I booked on the day and got lovely seats up in the nosebleeds - me and my friends can't even sit together and tickets keep going on sale :(

I was listening to Casualties today, and even though I like his heavy stuff, especially SYL the album is just pure quality. You can tell how much he enjoyed making it, whereas you can tell his heart wasn't 100% in Sky Blue and Z2. Listening to casualties with good in-ear earphones you hear so many little touches. Echoes, guitar twangs, little electronic glitches. Its awesome.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

jonathan posted:

Ziltoidian Empire kind of does, and Wandering Eye from Z2. :allears:

henpod posted:

I'm still a bit annoyed that I booked on the day and got lovely seats up in the nosebleeds - me and my friends can't even sit together and tickets keep going on sale :(

I was listening to Casualties today, and even though I like his heavy stuff, especially SYL the album is just pure quality. You can tell how much he enjoyed making it, whereas you can tell his heart wasn't 100% in Sky Blue and Z2. Listening to casualties with good in-ear earphones you hear so many little touches. Echoes, guitar twangs, little electronic glitches. Its awesome.

Yes! That's the thing that put it so high for me. As mentioned by Agreed, he makes such dense mixing. On it's on with just guitars and vocals it might not have been too much to keep my attention, but the atmosphere created by all those little things made it so intriguing. It makes imagery of a desolate moonscape and the story for the album really seem felt through the music and sounds.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 6, 2015

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Yannos posted:

Is your girlfriend or wife called Jane?
Does she have a birthday on the 27th of January?

If so, then feel free to use my totally rad "Custom Devin Townsend Birthday Song" next time she has a birthday :)
https://soundcloud.com/yannick-janssens-6/devin-townsend-happy-birthday-jane

Had to sit for a loooong time on that one before I could reveal my surprise...

Well that is my mom's birthday, and her name happens to be Jane. So That is pretty crazy man. No one cares but Devin.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AzureSkys posted:

Ziltoidian Empire kind of does, and Wandering Eye from Z2. :allears:

Yes! That's the thing that put it so high for me. As mentioned by Agreed, he makes such dense mixing. On it's on with just guitars and vocals it might not have been too much to keep my attention, but the atmosphere created by all those little things made it so intriguing. It makes imagery of a desolate moonscape and the story for the album really seem felt through the music and sounds.
Listening to Z^2 right now makes me remember that Townsend's music gets better the more you listen to it. This is stuff that grows on you.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

quote:

Townsend also spoke about the next project he is working on which will take up much of the remainder of the year. He said: "I'm writing a symphony, and I'm gonna record it in Belgium, in Surround Sound, with a visual counterpart. And it's gonna be a hybrid. It's gonna have a lot of instruments that are not typical for orchestral stuff. And it's gonna be a combination of everything. 'Cause typically in the past, I would do STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, or I'd do 'Ki', or 'Ghost', or something. But I wanna put it together. I wanna have something that goes between the extremes of beautiful — like really, really sublime and beautiful — to just total chaos, like hellish apocalypse. And I'd like to have a point to it that isn't a story. I'd like to have it to do with human things, emotions that I currently struggle with, 'cause I don't find myself emotionally very intelligent. So the things that happened in my life that forced me to learn it are also inspiring — loss or sadness or happiness or embarrassment, or any of these things. And so my plan is to make something that is massive in scope, but is not bombast totally.

From here. Hype!

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Achievable goals, Devin

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I thought he was going to take some time off. Dude seems knackered. Oh well, more music ain't bad, and as much as I love his vocals, some instrumental stuff would be interesting. I bet he's going to jam Choirs in everything.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really actually don't want Devin to do anything for awhile. I love his work but I also don't want the dude to burn the gently caress out. He's seemed so thoroughly run down and exhausted lately. I think that he might keep working because it is, to put it in the lamest way possible, his anti-drug, and he fears doing nothing will lead him back to old habits, but this route seems to just be leading towards trouble as well really.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

stoats is a retard and devin townsend got old

really I just wanted to insult stoats, because I put Casualties of Cool on and it seems alright.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, I really actually don't want Devin to do anything for awhile. I love his work but I also don't want the dude to burn the gently caress out. He's seemed so thoroughly run down and exhausted lately. I think that he might keep working because it is, to put it in the lamest way possible, his anti-drug, and he fears doing nothing will lead him back to old habits, but this route seems to just be leading towards trouble as well really.

Agreed, give him a year or two to chill out and start writing at his own pace without feeling that he has to get the next record out asap.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, that's the thing, he seems to write as he likes, which is all the drat time. It's the recording and touring that sees to beat the poo poo out of him.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Casualties is still one of the best things he has done.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

During is "downtime" from leaving SYL and the scene for barely a year he pretty much came up with the DTP Quadrilogy albums and hinted how he was always writing even though on hiatus. Those 4 albums came from his not knowing how to group the different moods and styles at first. I think he just really needs to be able to write what he wants according to how he feels at the time. The Label and Fan pressures that make him do music his heart isn't in to is what gets to him.

I mentioned before how he seems geared more towards writing now and especially large productions with orchestra and choir with how Decon, some of CoC and Z2 went. So if he can do what he loves without major distraction or influence towards what he doesn't want I imagine he'll be doing exactly what he loves.

I'd love to see him go the way of Danny Elfman and have his music find it's way into soundtracks and what not. His stage presence is so amazing, but the last few shows I saw seemed to indicate he really doesn't care for it much anymore. Or at least he needs longer breaks between tours/major shows.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Had a five hour train journey today and apart from listening to the latest two Better Call Saul podcasts I gave Z2 a proper listen. Went with disc 3, then 1 and then 2 (thought I'd leave the disc with all the characters on for the last listen). Turns out I enjoyed them far more this time.

drat, Anneke is always good, but Dominique Lenore Persi has an awesome voice on her.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Off to see this bald weirdo tonight for the third time !!!

Setlist seems pretty great, disappointing lack of Sky Blue though - I really wanted to see Fallout, Universal Flame, Sky Blue or Silent Militia live, they seem like songs made for gigs. :( Definitely going to be a good time though.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Off to see this bald weirdo tonight for the third time !!!

Setlist seems pretty great, disappointing lack of Sky Blue though - I really wanted to see Fallout, Universal Flame, Sky Blue or Silent Militia live, they seem like songs made for gigs. :( Definitely going to be a good time though.

I saw him last friday and they did play Fallout.
Maybe because Anneke was with them that night?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Willeh posted:

I saw him last friday and they did play Fallout.
Maybe because Anneke was with them that night?
Yeah that seemed to really change up the setlist. Shame.

Brilliant gig though. Was a bit worried going in with all the people saying he's seemed burned out recently, but it was great - the atmosphere was awesome, he was on form and really positive, telling us the usual stupid stories and seeming just really happy and grateful to be there. Setlist was really good, I'm no fan of Addicted but I always forget how good the songs from it are live.

Still, out of all the songs on Sky Blue to play - Rejoice and A New Reign? Weird.

Shining were good too, but I figured they'd be on second and so we ended up skipping most of them and being exposed to the entirety of Periphery, which is not an experience I really want to repeat. Still, caught a mildly insane metal-jazz cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man from Shining and went on to see their frontman play saxophone dressed in a monkey suit for Devin, so not a total loss on that front.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
This is only tangently related but Anneke recently released a collaboration with Arjen Lucassen. It is an two disc concept album that tells a story about a sailor and his lady. The catch is that both discs contain the same songs. One has the laid back 'gentle' version and the other has the more aggressive 'storm' version.

In my interpretation, the story is very different with the same lyrics but different tone. For instance (big spoiler) the lady either meets with her long lost sailor lover and gazes into his eyes living happily ever after because the sailor had a gentle voyage, or gets to see his dead body and mourns for the lost times because he died in the stormy voyage. The lyrics are the same. The tone literally determines if the sailor lives or dies. In my opinion, it is really well done and innovative. Luckily, the lyrics were written by Anneke so they aren't that bad either.

Edit : according to Wikipedia, my interpretation is wrong. I like my version better.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 31, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Off to see this bald weirdo tonight for the third time !!
13 days before the Royal Albert Hall!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Holy poo poo that's so clever.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

My friend went to see the Gentle Storm show last week with Anneke and Arjen Lucassen and as an encore they played Fallout.

See? It all comes back to Devy :coal:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Even if The Gentle Storm weren't clever (which it might not be, as I might be projecting my own interpretation on it), it is worth a listen for anyone who likes Anneke. She is excellent here, sounding better than Z2 in my opinion. Devin should listen and draw some inspiration for proper Anneke utilization. Sometimes I feel like he saturates her in reverb, where A Gentle storm shows that she is best when she just does her thing with minimal effects.

People should let me know about their interpretation. I don't know where Wikipedia got its story. For instance, apparently the lady dies but I don't hear that at all in either the gentle or storm versions. I like my version best because I think it is clever and cool, so Wikipedia can suck an egg.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think some of you are not familiar with Canadian living... Or think Devin must be rich. Taking a 2 year break on a career that barely sells any records could be financial suicide. It's expensive to live in Canada, especially Vancouver. Now, I have no idea how much money he has in the bank, but assuming he owns a house and his wife takes care of his child while he's out touring, he probably can't afford to just stop working. That means he might take a break from music, but he's going to have to go work at Walmart or somewhere that will hire him to put food on the table.

Him taking a 2 year break would likely be the same as any middle class working guy stopping work for 2 years. Hello cardboard box.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
He actually said how much he makes in a recent podcast about the music industry. I don't remember the number, but you are 100% correct. He is makes what I would expect a software engineer or maybe engineering management to make. It is a decent income to raise a family on and to pay off the mortgage, but he won't be driving Ferraris anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rusty Kettle posted:

He actually said how much he makes in a recent podcast about the music industry. I don't remember the number, but you are 100% correct. He is makes what I would expect a software engineer or maybe engineering management to make. It is a decent income to raise a family on and to pay off the mortgage, but he won't be driving Ferraris anytime soon.
$5k a month, before taxes.

• Locked thread