Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I think FFVII, VIII and XIII/XIII-2 had motorcycles. Sort of cuts down on a lot of conversation in this, the Final Fantasy Megathread.

EDIT: Oh I guess XII had that weird hovercycle thing that is never mentioned outside that one cutscene near the beginning of the game. Not sure if that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
If one of you record keeper players want to make a new thread though that would be cool, especially if you post an OP that has information about the game and answers frequently asked questions so people don't have to dig around in the Final Fantasy thread or keep asking them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only reason anyone cared about Type-0 was because of the XV demo, and surprise at how phenomenally awful the camera was. No one is going to remember it even existed in a month or two

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
As someone who doesn't care about Record Keeper, lol at people getting upset about FF-related things being discussed in the FF thread.

Oh no, not our high-quality thread filled with such intelligent discussion at all times!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CeallaSo posted:

I think FFVII, VIII and XIII/XIII-2 had motorcycles. Sort of cuts down on a lot of conversation in this, the Final Fantasy Megathread.

Sounds like we only get to talk about the good ones.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Sakurazuka posted:

More sad than anything else, really.

I'm not sure why. I get a cool free game without spending a cent instead of paying 60 dollars for a four hour demo and 400 dollars on a system that has no games except ps3 ports. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kanfy posted:

As someone who doesn't care about Record Keeper, lol at people getting upset about FF-related things being discussed in the FF thread.

Oh no, not our high-quality thread filled with such intelligent discussion at all times!

i mean yeah this place is a shithole most of the time anyway but mobile games seriously suck my balls and talking about them is the worst poo poo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kanfy posted:

But it's not the kind of FF-related thing I like!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Himuro posted:

I'm not sure why. I get a cool free game without spending a cent instead of paying 60 dollars for a four hour demo and 400 dollars on a system that has no games except ps3 ports. :)

Eh, you got free boring shallow trash and I got expensive boring shallow trash so you did come out ahead.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Sounds like we only get to talk about the good ones.

I think you just said that FFVIII is good, so now I have to write paragraphs about why you are wrong.

Hahah just kidding, wouldn't that be a colossal waste of time. I really do like a lot of the motorcycle-less Final Fantasies, though. I think IV, VII and X are my favorites overall.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CeallaSo posted:

I think you just said that FFVIII is good, so now I have to write paragraphs about why you are wrong.

Hahah just kidding, wouldn't that be a colossal waste of time. I really do like a lot of the motorcycle-less Final Fantasies, though. I think IV, VII and X are my favorites overall.

Sorry, I agree with you. VIII is the only FF I don't like, and I've played every mainline game

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sorry, I agree with you. VIII is the only FF I don't like, and I've played every mainline game

2 and 3 are pretty bad too. 3 just hasn't aged well and 2 is just a mess

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also im not going to fall for the troll above who said PS4 doesn't have any games

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'll work on a FFRK thread/OP so that people aren't making GBS threads up the FF megathread talking about a Final Fantasy ~mobile non-game~ instead of proper chat like how they paid $60 for a half-assed PSP port and FFXV demo.

James Totes posted:

Well, everyone is level 23+ but the 51+ levels take 10 Stan per go. Guess that's how they slow it down, ah well.

The difficulty doesn't go up to match the stamina cost at least. Enemies might have 600 or so HP but the level before that they were 450-500ish and they went from doing about 120 to 150 damage to Tidus. Cloud still hits for over 1k on normal attacks. The accessories are +5 attack. Really wish I had more mithril bangles so I could upgrade the one I have.

Schwartzcough posted:

Sounds like there's a really nasty boss that's immune to physical attacks at the top of Shinra tower, so I guess I won't be getting Sephiroth any time soon.

If it's the flying serpent guy I think Kain's jump also hits them (and ranged attacks in general maybe). I don't ever recall a totally physical immune enemy in the game, though Amon/Hein in FF3 comes close since he dodges about 50% of the time. The upside of the no-melee bosses has been that they generally had a lot less HP than normal bosses, so if this one is weak to an element you may be able to just burn them down with a level 2 spell and a bunch of level 1s on Rydia, Tyro, and maybe someone else. If Kain's double jump and the jump skill hits it too then that'll help a bit.

Veib posted:

Are these event dungeons in Record Keeper one time only, or do they rotate in and out? So if you don't get Tifa/Sephiroth now, can you get them sometime later again, or is this it? I don't really play these kinds of mobile games so I don't know how they work.

They rotate and by the time they come back they should have the expert levels and maybe character crystals, which boost the character's level cap from 50 to 65. I know when I did the FF8 dungeon a 2nd time it let me get all the rewards again, and just gave me Growth Eggs in place of characters/crystals I already had. We might not see this dungeon again for months though because if it's up for 2 weeks at a time there's half a dozen or so of them to cycle through.

A FTP version of Triple Triad on iPads will just print Enix money. The joke is that it took them this long to release it

Months ago when TT was announced for FFXIV they said they wanted to bring it to mobile as well and let you use your FFXIV cards/account on it and vice versa. I hope that holds true because then we'd get shitloads of TT cards in FFXIV.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Also im not going to fall for the troll above who said PS4 doesn't have any games

Oh wow, you got Bloodborne. You're right, so you've got one game and a 4 hour demo. Pretty good for 400 dollars.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Himuro posted:

Oh wow, you got Bloodborne. You're right, so you've got one game and a 4 hour demo. Pretty good for 400 dollars.

Jesus Christ.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

2 and 3 are pretty bad too. 3 just hasn't aged well and 2 is just a mess

2 is important because of how different it was 1 and set the precedent for every sequel following to be not the same as the one before. It could arguably be the most important FF.

Yeah 3 is poorly designed and the remake is atrocious, but it's like half of V, and V is sick so I'll take it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The GBA release of 2 was decent, but it was definitely not as good as FF1

I beat the FF1 port like 10 times

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Himuro posted:

Yeah.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
We should just use the thread to talk about Treasure of the Rudras instead. Maybe Bahamut Lagoon too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Himuro posted:

You bought an Xbone didn't you? Come on, you can tell the truth.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Himuro posted:

So, seriously as someone who's tried all sorts of phone games, what's fun about Record Keeper? Like what about it makes it cool? Is the story good, is the gameplay really fun? From the videos I've seen it just looks like a very very very simplified version of your typical FF game which honestly doesn't seem like a lot of fun since Final Fantasy has kind of always been a super simple JRPG. It just doesn't look like it'll hold interest unless I've just been really really starving to see more FF nostalgia stuff and honestly after the Rhythm games I'm kind of all Nostalgia'd out. And at least for those games I don't have to sit there and wait for a meter to recharge in real time to actually let me play the video game. The game seriously only seems cool compared to your usual phone releases.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

2 is important because of how different it was 1 and set the precedent for every sequel following to be not the same as the one before. It could arguably be the most important FF.

Yeah 3 is poorly designed and the remake is atrocious, but it's like half of V, and V is sick so I'll take it

you know, that's a good point. it's also like half of the saga games, which rule hard. on its own merits they're both kind of eh though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Himuro posted:

Please go back to not posting for months on end again, that was so much nicer for everybody.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You're playing the best game released on a home console since MGS4, and you spent money on it. :smug:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

We should just use the thread to talk about Treasure of the Rudras instead. Maybe Bahamut Lagoon too.

live a live, imo

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

forbidden lesbian posted:

The GBA release of 2 was decent, but it was definitely not as good as FF1

I beat the FF1 port like 10 times

GBA version 1 is trash. I beat that game without dying once. It's loving terrible. FF Origins version of I for life. There are no other answers.

Sakurazuka posted:

You bought an Xbone didn't you? Come on, you can tell the truth.

I don't have any current gen system.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You're playing the best game released on a home console since MGS4, and you spent money on it. :smug:

bloodborne is epic and i'm glad i bought a ps4

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Saigyouji posted:

Maybe Bahamut Lagoon too.

Are we allowed to talk about good games in this thread, though?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Mgs4 was not very good though. Then again, all console games are bad except NIntendo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Should have said Sony console. Otherwise it would be best home console game since Bayonetta 2 which doesn't have the same impact

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So, seriously as someone who's tried all sorts of phone games, what's fun about Record Keeper? Like what about it makes it cool? Is the story good, is the gameplay really fun? From the videos I've seen it just looks like a very very very simplified version of your typical FF game which honestly doesn't seem like a lot of fun since Final Fantasy has kind of always been a super simple JRPG. It just doesn't look like it'll hold interest unless I've just been really really starving to see more FF nostalgia stuff and honestly after the Rhythm games I'm kind of all Nostalgia'd out. And at least for those games I don't have to sit there and wait for a meter to recharge in real time to actually let me play the video game. The game seriously only seems cool compared to your usual phone releases.

I find it fun because it tickles the part of my brain that loves unlocks and rewards. I could never get into PazuDora, but I really like Record Keeper because it's like a bite sized menu based version of Diablo where you're always pushing forward, smashing poo poo, so you can get the next unlock, cool ability, loot, or rare piece of equipment. The fact it has regular content updates on a week to week and month to month basis helps reinforce this. Its core mechanics are admittedly simple, but some maps and dungeons at specific levels aren't really slouches, and it can be fun. That's all a game really needs to be: fun. I can play Record Keeper for a few minutes, get my fill, and continue on my day, and go back to it later. No real commitment required, but it's fun enough that I want the best stuff available that I play it regularly even though I really don't have to, which is the hallmark of a fun game. I don't have any extraneous reason: not all games need to have layers and layers of depth, and let's be honest, going by the gameplay talk, Record Keeper has more going on gameplay-wise than your average Final Fantasy anyways. Final Fantasy is a series that traditionally steeped in lack of depth as it trades mechanical depth for fun, so the whole wah wah mobile game stuff is a pretty shallow argument given that we are talking about a game (FF1 GBA) I literally beat by just jamming Attack without dying once.

Oxxidation posted:

Please go back to not posting for months on end again, that was so much nicer for everybody.

Stay mad.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 1, 2015

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Kyrosiris posted:

Hmm, good point. ...Racing Lagoon, then?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

bloodborne is epic and i'm glad i bought a ps4

i would buy a ps4 but i'm quitting my job in a couple months and i need to save up. bloodborne looks cool and i don't have a ps3 for persona 5

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Himuro posted:

GBA version 1 is trash. I beat that game without dying once. It's loving terrible. FF Origins version of I for life. There are no other answers.

I'm sorry 10 year old me wasn't as good at games as you

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

what's wrong with bahamut lagoon? i haven't played it since i was like 15

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

other than not being able to control dragons, that was dumb

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

forbidden lesbian posted:

I'm sorry 10 year old me wasn't as good at games as you

Try playing FFO FF1.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fungah! posted:

what's wrong with bahamut lagoon? i haven't played it since i was like 15

Nothing, it was a drat good game and I'd kill for a sequel on 3DS/Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never did figure out how levelling up your dragons worked, I just shoved random items in to them.