Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
saw corrosion of conformity w/ pepper keenan yesterday. go see em if you get the chance, they were really loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The only CoC album I really got into was Deliverance. Are any of their later records great?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Anyone going to Elder tomorrow in Charlotte or Yob on Friday in Johnson City?

Friends Are Evil posted:

The new Fórn is good as heck. Really crushing doom metal.

If you like Coffinworm or Primitive Man, you're going to love it.

This is good, thanks!
Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out: http://forn.bandcamp.com/

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Pre-ordering that vinyl right now.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Anyone going to Elder tomorrow in Charlotte or Yob on Friday in Johnson City?

As former Johnson City resident I am mad I am going to miss this. I am now just up the road in Knoxville, but I had plans for that night for awhile. That said I have 3 friends/family members making the drive from Knoxville. It seems the Hideaway has been getting some good shows. Shame it wasn't around when I lived there.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Hell yes. Empress Rising was one of my favourite albums of 2014 and it sounds like Monolord will be up there again this year. There's another preview track, Cursing the One, on their Bandcamp (I think it was posted in this thread before when it was streaming somwhere?) https://monolord.bandcamp.com/

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah I find that you can certainly pick out the individual instruments and melodies a lot more clearly with them in. I will sometimes take them out for a couple of minutes to experience that wall of sound effect though.

I'm definitely finding this to be true. I used to be dumb about earplugs and wouldn't wear them to shows, but now, getting older, I'm certainly taking the fact that I like to be able to hear more seriously, and the upside is that plugs do seem to cut out extraneous junk and let the music come through clearer.

Yob was awesome on Saturday. Marrow was like a religious experience for me.

Next up is the Inter Arma show in Boston on the 11th. Yautja, Forn, and The Proselyte. Gonna be a great one.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
New Weedeater "Goliathan" on May 19th.

New track "Cain Enabler" today

https://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2015-03-25/weedeater-premiere-cain-enabler

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

hatelull posted:

The only CoC album I really got into was Deliverance. Are any of their later records great?

In The Arms Of God is a great album. Stanton Moore kills it on drums to such a degree that I almost wish he had become their permanent drummer.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

nate fisher posted:

Pre-ordering that vinyl right now.

As former Johnson City resident I am mad I am going to miss this. I am now just up the road in Knoxville, but I had plans for that night for awhile. That said I have 3 friends/family members making the drive from Knoxville. It seems the Hideaway has been getting some good shows. Shame it wasn't around when I lived there.

Hey other Knoxville guy! Seems like half this thread is from east TN

I was gonna go up there to see them, but I'll be out of town for it, Sucks I really Wanted to get my ears melted. But Knoxville has a lot of good stuff coming up.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nerve posted:

https://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2015-03-25/weedeater-premiere-cain-enabler

gently caress yes, new Weedeater. Also glad they continue with the word play.

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

nerve posted:

oh hell yes

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Juaguocio posted:

In The Arms Of God is a great album. Stanton Moore kills it on drums to such a degree that I almost wish he had become their permanent drummer.

this. wiseblood is similar to deliverance as far as the song material go. america's volume dealer is more straight up hard rock and in the arms of god is a mix of hard rock and more southern stuff. i like them all a lot.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 26, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Possibly Chicken posted:

Hey other Knoxville guy! Seems like half this thread is from east TN

I was gonna go up there to see them, but I'll be out of town for it, Sucks I really Wanted to get my ears melted. But Knoxville has a lot of good stuff coming up.

Windhand's Dorthia Cottrell is playing at Poison Lawn in Knoxville on May 7th. Her solo stuff is mainly folk/Americana, but I actually like her new album.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Really enjoying the singles from Royal Thunder's upcoming release. Super clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LdUo_6qenE

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Shab posted:

The first 20 seconds to "The Line" is killer.

The best thing about everything leading up to the release has to be the pseudo in studio documentary, specifically when their singer Mlny is asked to describe the album. She starts off with "it's a concept album about" and then proceeds to deadpan the opening to MTV's "The Real World".

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Sooooo I'm putting on my first ever gig this week with Primitive Man and I'm so drat nervous. I hope I can have everything run smoothly for them and I hope I can stop myself from trying to hug them :ohdear:

On a more positive note I have finally secured myself a ticket to Temples Fest!!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Solefald posted:

Sooooo I'm putting on my first ever gig this week with Primitive Man and I'm so drat nervous. I hope I can have everything run smoothly for them and I hope I can stop myself from trying to hug them :ohdear:
Good luck! I'm sad there's no Bristol show but at least I'll see Sea Bastard in May...

quote:

On a more positive note I have finally secured myself a ticket to Temples Fest!!
See you there, the lineup looks amazing and I'm excited to see what the final bands announced tomorrow are.

e: Whoops, turns out the announcement was today: GHOLD, METH DRINKER, WEAK, OBLIVIONIZED and VENOM PRISON. Don't know most of them but Meth Drinker are awesome. Full lineup:

I think there are still a couple weekend tickets available if anyone doesn't have theirs yet.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 26, 2015

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Aye, I was so devastated when they sold out but I know what Francis is like and it was inevitable there'd be more tickets sold eventually. I'd have got guestlisted for Sat and Sunday anyway but I wanted the whole weekend no matter what!

Sadly barely any of my friends are going so it's going to be an interesting experience attending this alone. Stoked I'll be able to actually watch the bands I want without having friends nag at me to "let's goooooo do x thing instead" etc. though. Hope to be able to meet you stonery goons there :3:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I didn't go last year but I heard good things and it seems like they're working hard to make sure it runs well, really looking forward to it. I've got a friend coming up who I'm going with, let me know if you fancy meeting up!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The next Lesbian album is going to be call HALLUCINOGENESIS and they are describing it as "Prehistoric fantasy thrash". I'm in.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I love how I'll be able to stay on the same stage at Temples each day (third stage fri, main stage sat & sun). Though I'm really looking forward to Will Haven, I never expected I'd get to see them live.

For now though, just 2 weeks to Roadburn!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ufomammut's Ecate streaming in full :whatup:

http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2015/3/25/flying-saucers-glengarry-glen-ross-ufomammuts-ecate-full-album-stream

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys. What does it mean when you're hearing Yob in your dreams? I'm asking for a friend of mine...

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I went to see Elder last night. Mos Generator was on the bill too but they actually dropped off the tour several dates ago. So it was just a local Charlotte band and Elder. The word was the promoter quit promoting/flaked out or something. Elder didn't know if the show was even going to happen that morning. There was maybe 30 people there which was surprising to me.

They put on a fantastic show. It sounded great. Everything was so deliberate and tight. Elder has always puzzled me but seeing them do it kind of helped me process how they do it. There's a lot of precision and intensity there in what otherwise might sound like a basic groove. The bass and drums alone are so awesome...add the guitar and :boom:

I bought some beers and talked with them for a while after the show. All three were really super nice guys and I'd encourage you to chat them up if you ever have a chance, they're pretty funny.

Here's a terrible phone pic:

Oh man! I can't wait to listen to this properly.

Shakenbaker posted:

Hey guys. What does it mean when you're hearing Yob in your dreams? I'm asking for a friend of mine...

Oh you just ascended and possibly unmasked the spectre...perfectly normal. Consult your Quantum Mystic if you find yourself grasping air or breathing from shallows. Additionally, if you prepare the ground try to keep the ball of molten lead from burning the alter.

Edit: going to see YOB tonight, it's like I'm at a European music festival. :toot:

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 27, 2015

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Last month, I took part in a music writing challenge called February Album Writing Month and wrote some songs, approximately half or more of which would fit under the umbrella of doom/stoner/sludge. Figured you guys might appreciate this stuff. https://soundcloud.com/howling-horse/sets/fawm-2015

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Caught Mantar live last night. You should probably go see them if you can. Ridiculously heavy and great stage presence from the guitar player.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shab posted:

This owns. What a solid band.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Oh you just ascended and possibly unmasked the spectre...perfectly normal. Consult your Quantum Mystic if you find yourself grasping air or breathing from shallows. Additionally, if you prepare the ground try to keep the ball of molten lead from burning the alter.
Thanks for the reply. I'll let my, uh, friend know that everything's fine.

quote:

Edit: going to see YOB tonight, it's like I'm at a European music festival. :toot:

Enjoy the show, I'm so jealous of everyone who gets to see them on this tour. I don't know what it would take but someone needs to talk Mike into making a trip to Florida.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Just found this thread 131 pages too late much to my dismay. Found out this week that Sleep is headlining the SW Terror Fest in October, so bought tickets for that and am incredibly stoked. Never seen them before, I'm so excited. I should have gone last year as well to see Neurosis but I flaked. Hopefully Bongripper is playing Saturday night, they're on some after show for the Friday before. I've been listening to Miserable over and over the past few weeks. Time to work through the past pages of this thread to find things I'm missing out on.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Yob Rules. Mike had the flu in Johnson City. He looked terrible. They still crushed. Here's a video someone shot of Burning the Altar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX6USbIWK64

The previous time I had seen Yob the drummer from Dark Castle was sitting in for Travis so it was great to see Travis on the drums this time around.

Edit: If I recall correctly they played the following:
Ball of Molten Lead
In our Blood
Burning the Altar
Marrow
Adrift in the Ocean

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 1, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeMAWgNskv0

some of y'all will probably dig it. new song from KEN Mode. killer hook

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Varg posted:

drat I am sure enjoying this Black Rainbows album at work right now.. I need more stuff just like this for background music

This has connected my affinity for The Stooges and Monster Magnet. I thank you and HIGHLY recommend their new full length LP, Hawkdope.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Electric Wizard was great tonight, so much funeralopolis. Thanks to all those that recommended the Etymotic earplugs, once I figured out how to use them they worked great. My ears aren't ringing!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I just got a pair myself which will be great having Roadburn then Temples in a pretty short space of time. The ones they sell at Roadburn are better than the lovely sponges but it's nice to have a proper pair. I actually just saw Devin Townsend and completely blanked on taking them because I'm an idiot. If it's not doom then it won't be loud, right? Hurrr. Also, holy poo poo less than a week until I fly out to Netherlands!

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

My gig with Primitive Man and Sea Bastard was a success. Absolutely wonderful guys, everyone who can should see them on this tour!!

I cooked them an incredibly strong rum cake that seemed to go down with the bands very very well!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

Good luck! I'm sad there's no Bristol show but at least I'll see Sea Bastard in May...

See you there, the lineup looks amazing and I'm excited to see what the final bands announced tomorrow are.

e: Whoops, turns out the announcement was today: GHOLD, METH DRINKER, WEAK, OBLIVIONIZED and VENOM PRISON. Don't know most of them but Meth Drinker are awesome. Full lineup:

I think there are still a couple weekend tickets available if anyone doesn't have theirs yet.

There's a band called Tryptycon? Are they any good?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's ex Celtic Frost frontman Thomas Fischer's current project. Kind of goth/black metal and not really my thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrRi25jZRFY

e: As far as I can make out the stages are grouped more or less along genre lines, so stage 2 day 2 is mostly black metal, stage 3 day 1 is slow and heavy stoner/sludge. Kinda nice because it probably means less moving about between venues - I'll be staying at stage 3 almost the entirety of Friday I think and stage 1 most of the other days.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 1, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

ruddiger posted:

There's a band called Tryptycon? Are they any good?

Triptycon. Tom G. Warrior of Celtic Frost fame's new band. They're ok but not nearly as good as Celtic Frost.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

Triptycon. Tom G. Warrior of Celtic Frost fame's new band. They're ok but not nearly as good as Celtic Frost.

It's Triptykon, and they're really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's Triptykon, and they're really good.

lol, yeah. I've seen em twice and left halfway through both times. Ok in small doses but boring in the long run I guess.