Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Could something like Izzet dragon midrange be a thing? I'm trying to move away from Boros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's the worst day of the year to be online, and dailymtg is doing their part.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Swagger Dagger posted:

"Reid Duke did it" isn't a good argument. Why those choices were made is the discussion you should be having. Why did you make those changes to play 71/75 of his cards, instead of 75? You must have a reason, right?

If you can't articulate these things and just fall back on "no really it's better, learn from the pros, man" there's no reason anyone should ever pay attention to you.

The first post I made in response to this topic being brought up had reasoning behind every change to the deck...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Elyv posted:

That said, I would loving love to watch the Un-Pro Tour.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

Count Bleck posted:

In the event that anybody still cares about Temur Midrange, I updated the decklist for Dragons of Tarkir.

I'm actually a little concerned about running two versions of Sarkhan, but both of them fit the gameplan well enough: one becomes a Stormbreath Dragon or Stoke the Flames, and the other is card advantage and more Threats, both Ultimates win the game in the long run should I so need to use them.

Still wish Dragonspeaker's Emblem didn't trigger the turn you get it

Thunderbreak Regent has been added, and thus with the addition of that, Sarkhan Unbroken, and already having 6 dragons, four potentially in hand, I decided to add more countermagic in Silumgar's Scorn: Basically Counterspell is pretty good when you're playing Tempo.

I'm also still playing Temur Midrange. I haven't made any swaps yet for dragons, but I've been trying to figure out what would work.

My plan is to take out old sarkhan and put in 2 of the new one since he protect himself better and helps out with mana a bit. I also still really like shaman of the great hunt. Even if he can't swing in my Knuckleblades and Stormbreath dragons can threaten to be huge.

I had been running 4 wild slash, but I might switch that up to 2 and 2 roast. There are still a decent number of 5 toughness creatures running around in my local meta. Still love running 4 stubborn denials main though.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

"Reid Duke did it" isn't a good argument. Why those choices were made is the discussion you should be having. Why did you make those changes to play 71/75 of his cards, instead of 75? You must have a reason, right?

If you can't articulate these things and just fall back on "no really it's better, learn from the pros, man" there's no reason anyone should ever pay attention to you.

Of course you are right, "Reid Duke" made it is not , in and of itself, necessarily a good argument. That being said, Reid Duke has a proven track record of consistently putting out good decks and piloting them to good finishes. IF he comes up with a decklist, the odds are good that his version of the deck is better than someone who is not on the pro tour could concoct. Is that necessarily the case, again no, but it is likely the case.

That is why the common advise is to simply copy a pro players list, card for card and test it BEFORE you make any adjustments. Pro Players do a ton of testing and metagame analysis before they decide on a decklist, much more work hours will go into those decklists than you are likely to put in. Again, this does not mean their deck is guaranteed to be better than one even an experienced player makes, but it is likely. Established players have proven track records that can show how likely it is for their deck to be good. Most players who are not on a similarly competitive circuit do not (myself included).

Again, I'm not going to copy Brad Nelson's work out regime, or ask Reid Duke his opinion on politics because he is good at magic. I will however take his advice (including decklists) when it comes to magic, as he is good at magic.

How is this a hard concept?

This doesn't run afoul of the appeal to authority because admittedly his deck could be bad, it could have a bad sideboard, it could be poorly metagamed, especially in the early stages of a format. You take their initial list with that in mind, with the knowledge that it may be poor. The decks pro's use should be a shortcut to an initial decklist. You follow their initial choices and decisions as a guide and deviate when your knowledge and experience, gained through playtesting, informs you to do otherwise.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I paid 5 dollars to win 3 packs of DTK last night, did I come out ahead I forget how much a new pack actually costs

For the purposes of this post we're going to ignore that I couldn't keep from innate gambling urges and ended up opening all 3 of them...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

I paid 5 dollars to win 3 packs of DTK last night, did I come out ahead I forget how much a new pack actually costs

For the purposes of this post we're going to ignore that I couldn't keep from innate gambling urges and ended up opening all 3 of them...

you came out $5.50-$7.00 ahead, not bad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

forbidden lesbian posted:

I feel like the EV of a pack of DTK is about 25 cents... At least the ones I've opened...

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Madmarker posted:

Of course you are right, "Reid Duke" made it is not , in and of itself, necessarily a good argument. That being said, Reid Duke has a proven track record of consistently putting out good decks and piloting them to good finishes. IF he comes up with a decklist, the odds are good that his version of the deck is better than someone who is not on the pro tour could concoct. Is that necessarily the case, again no, but it is likely the case.

That is why the common advise is to simply copy a pro players list, card for card and test it BEFORE you make any adjustments. Pro Players do a ton of testing and metagame analysis before they decide on a decklist, much more work hours will go into those decklists than you are likely to put in. Again, this does not mean their deck is guaranteed to be better than one even an experienced player makes, but it is likely. Established players have proven track records that can show how likely it is for their deck to be good. Most players who are not on a similarly competitive circuit do not (myself included).

Again, I'm not going to copy Brad Nelson's work out regime, or ask Reid Duke his opinion on politics because he is good at magic. I will however take his advice (including decklists) when it comes to magic, as he is good at magic.

How is this a hard concept?

This doesn't run afoul of the appeal to authority because admittedly his deck could be bad, it could have a bad sideboard, it could be poorly metagamed, especially in the early stages of a format. You take their initial list with that in mind, with the knowledge that it may be poor. The decks pro's use should be a shortcut to an initial decklist. You follow their initial choices and decisions as a guide and deviate when your knowledge and experience, gained through playtesting, informs you to do otherwise.

Worth noting that there's just gonna be a lot of wild meta calls/reactions that won't necessarily fit with what everyone's dealing with in their own area, and might just be wrong guesses early in a format because he doesn't know what decks are going to get played. Yeah a lot of it's guesswork but these guys are more experienced and better at it than a lot of other players, so at least starting from where they are and forcing yourself to put reason to any changes is a solid exercise and usually worth doing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Death Bot posted:

Worth noting that there's just gonna be a lot of wild meta calls/reactions that won't necessarily fit with what everyone's dealing with in their own area, and might just be wrong guesses early in a format because he doesn't know what decks are going to get played. Yeah a lot of it's guesswork but these guys are more experienced and better at it than a lot of other players, so at least starting from where they are and forcing yourself to put reason to any changes is a solid exercise and usually worth doing

Reid actually said that the reason he played that list is that he had no idea what the meta game would look like at an Invitational the day of the release of a new set. He just liked that deck the best.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Madmarker posted:

you came out $5.50-$7.00 ahead, not bad.

Nice

mcmagic posted:

I feel like the EV of a pack of DTK is about 25 cents... At least the ones I've opened...

I believe it :negative: i couldn't help myself

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Last year's April fools kicked rear end because Bruce Richard took over Gavin's column and did a really subtle and excellent takedown. Search "from Brimaz to Blitz."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
April 1st is to comedy as St Patrick's Day is to Irish culture.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Source your quotes.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

This video sums up my feelings on the subject of April Fool's Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXYXuXX48m8

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elyv posted:

The card of the day is pretty apt, though.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Entropic posted:

Thanks John Oliver.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So why is Kozilek worth the most out of all 3 Eldrazi? :psyduck: Am I missing something?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

BattleCake posted:

So why is Kozilek worth the most out of all 3 Eldrazi? :psyduck: Am I missing something?

the answer is always edh

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

BattleCake posted:

Emrakul's banned in Commander.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i guess soemtimes it's modern

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BattleCake posted:

Because there is a confirmed Emrakul reprint.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BattleCake posted:

Emrakul had a prerelease version and Ulamog has a From the Vault

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DarkRider09 posted:

I'm also still playing Temur Midrange. I haven't made any swaps yet for dragons, but I've been trying to figure out what would work.

My plan is to take out old sarkhan and put in 2 of the new one since he protect himself better and helps out with mana a bit. I also still really like shaman of the great hunt. Even if he can't swing in my Knuckleblades and Stormbreath dragons can threaten to be huge.

I had been running 4 wild slash, but I might switch that up to 2 and 2 roast. There are still a decent number of 5 toughness creatures running around in my local meta. Still love running 4 stubborn denials main though.

My main problem with Shaman of the Great Hunt is 2 toughness, 4 power, on the ground.

That's a combination of not being able to block effectively or break through on offense, on top of being really easy to chump/dies to Not-Shock or Magma Jet.

I mean the card is good, I just think it would work better in the aggro variant, where turn 1 and 2 is mystic into Heir/Fanatic.

I do think both Sarkhans can be played in the same deck, both of them fuel Thunderbreak's effects and also Silumgar's Scorn, which is a really powerful spell even when you don't have a dragon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

black potus posted:

the answer is always edh

More specifically, Kozilek is considered the best Eldrazi General since drawing 4 cards is more important than indestructibility/nuking one card in EDH. Plus, he costs 1 less.

Count Bleck posted:

My main problem with Shaman of the Great Hunt is 2 toughness, 4 power, on the ground.

That's a combination of not being able to block effectively or break through on offense, on top of being really easy to chump/dies to Not-Shock or Magma Jet.

I mean the card is good, I just think it would work better in the aggro variant, where turn 1 and 2 is mystic into Heir/Fanatic.

I do think both Sarkhans can be played in the same deck, both of them fuel Thunderbreak's effects and also Silumgar's Scorn, which is a really powerful spell even when you don't have a dragon.

Shaman works best in decks where he can get in a couple times, first, due to the board presence limitations Count Bleck lists. I do love his interaction with Flamewake Phoenix, and I'm hoping to see more of it going foward. (Probably not :negative: )

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 1, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

In the event that anybody still cares about Temur Midrange, I updated the decklist for Dragons of Tarkir.

I'm actually a little concerned about running two versions of Sarkhan, but both of them fit the gameplan well enough: one becomes a Stormbreath Dragon or Stoke the Flames, and the other is card advantage and more Threats, both Ultimates win the game in the long run should I so need to use them.

Still wish Dragonspeaker's Emblem didn't trigger the turn you get it

Thunderbreak Regent has been added, and thus with the addition of that, Sarkhan Unbroken, and already having 6 dragons, four potentially in hand, I decided to add more countermagic in Silumgar's Scorn: Basically Counterspell is pretty good when you're playing Tempo.
Your creature base is almost identical to mine: http://deckstats.net/decks/17272/209629-sarkhan-dragon-party

Running two versions of Sarkhan isn't really a serious issue the way I see it. Either of them staying on the board is basically you winning. However, I don't like Silumgar's Scorn in this deck because I think double-blue is too greedy, but let me know how it works. My deck is really, really similar, except that I have Crater's Claws instead of Scorn and I'm running 3 Draconic Roar.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

How is dredge not number one vintage territory?

The same reason Dredge is likely to finish VSL 0-7

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 1, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Angry Grimace posted:

The same reason Dredge is likely to finish VSL 0-7

VSL results spoilers: It actually went 0-9, including multiple "mull to 0 looking for Bazaar" game losses.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

VSL results spoilers: It actually went 0-9, including multiple "mull to 0 looking for Bazaar" game losses.

well mulling to 0 is actually strictly worse than mulling to 1 so they had it coming

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Efro especially had some brutally bad luck with it. 3/9 games he hit the 6% chance lotto to completely fail to find a bazaar in all his mulls. Twice he got turn two'd by Doomsday with discard backup, one of those times with counter back up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Elyv posted:

well mulling to 0 is actually strictly worse than mulling to 1 so they had it coming

Well they were effective mulls to 0, like keeping a hand of just Narcomoeba. :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kyrosiris posted:

Well they were effective mulls to 0, like keeping a hand of just Narcomoeba. :v:

This might actually be worse than mulling to 0.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

Technically it isn't because Narcomoeba in your hand is useless.

:goonsay:

If it was just that, I'd mull to 0 and see if my opening draw was Bazaar of Baghdad.

Count Bleck posted:

If you want a card in the slot that Shaman was going in, you probably want Surrak.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 1, 2015

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Angry Grimace posted:

Technically it isn't because Narcomoeba in your hand is useless.

:goonsay:

If it was just that, I'd mull to 0 and see if my opening draw was Bazaar of Baghdad.

Keeping Narco is probably better because the only way you're winning is by drawing Bazaar in the first draw step and you lose about .11% on that by mulliganing to zero.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Emrakul had a prerelease version and Ulamog has a From the Vault

Fair enough. Thanks!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BattleCake posted:

Fair enough. Thanks!

also emrakul is apparently banned in EDH

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

also emrakul is apparently banned in EDH

Turns out that its very, very easy to generate 15 colorless mana in 3 turns in EDH, time walk, and the completely take someone out of the game.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Emrakul was worth slightly more than the others when it was legal in EDH. Then Ulamog was worth the most until a few months after the reprint.

Also the problem with Emrakul wasn't even ramping into it. It was banned because it made games a race to cast Bribery first.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ultima66 posted:

Emrakul was worth slightly more than the others when it was legal in EDH. Then Ulamog was worth the most until a few months after the reprint.

Also the problem with Emrakul wasn't even ramping into it. It was banned because it made games a race to cast Bribery first.

Everyday I go without remembering Bribery is a card is a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Everyday I go without remembering Bribery is a card is a good day.

I once lived the dream with Jhoira in EDH. Suspended... Something, I'm not sure what. Cycled Decree of Annihilation. As we rebuilt, I got to five lands + Bribery first, cast Bribery. A turn or two later, Snapcaster Mage, targetting Bribery.

• Locked thread