Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

sadus posted:

We're trying to get a company 401k going at work, though we are still really small headcount wise, Vanguard looks to deal with even startups though so hopefully that works out. I have been explaining how they have the lowest fees and are awesome, but some other thing my boss found is offering Transamerica, they are even crappier than Fidelity I'm assuming?

Why do bosses always want to use terrible actively managed funds? Do the providers give kickbacks or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It's a subtle difference, but the *price* of the market is what others will pay for it. The *value* is what profits the market generate and how much those profits will grow over time. The underlying value of an investment is how much profit it returns, in interest, dividends, or company profits reinvested into the company. The price is a different thing altogether.

Anyway, point being, if you're wondering if the market is overpriced or underpriced, you should be looking at the current price in relation to the current strength of the businesses that make up the market, and if you agree with the growth rate required to justify the current price in relation to the current earnings. Past price means jack poo poo if the companies are stronger/weaker than they were yesterday.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nail Rat posted:

Why do bosses always want to use terrible actively managed funds? Do the providers give kickbacks or something?

Of course not, kickbacks would be illegal! They give maintenance fee discounts and signup bonuses.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

District Selectman posted:

It's a subtle difference, but the *price* of the market is what others will pay for it. The *value* is what profits the market generate and how much those profits will grow over time. The underlying value of an investment is how much profit it returns, in interest, dividends, or company profits reinvested into the company. The price is a different thing altogether.

Anyway, point being, if you're wondering if the market is overpriced or underpriced, you should be looking at the current price in relation to the current strength of the businesses that make up the market, and if you agree with the growth rate required to justify the current price in relation to the current earnings. Past price means jack poo poo if the companies are stronger/weaker than they were yesterday.

Of course, all of this kind of analysis doesn't take into account macro shocks like climate change or long term macro trends like American consumers consistently having less and less money to spend.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

My bro-boss was just looking at some "outsourced HR company" that claimed they could help with 401k and health insurance despite us having < 10 employees. Besides the 401k sucking the insurance rates were like 40% higher than healthcare.gov, yeah no thanks.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
What are the pros and cons of prepaid plans vs savings plans for a 529? I live in Texas, which is one of the states that has a prepaid plan that is accepting new applicants, and I want to get some savings started for my first nephew/niece that's going to be born in a few months.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

The Mandingo posted:

What are the pros and cons of prepaid plans vs savings plans for a 529? I live in Texas, which is one of the states that has a prepaid plan that is accepting new applicants, and I want to get some savings started for my first nephew/niece that's going to be born in a few months.
Is the prepaid inflation adjusted? I'd go w a 529/ESA and invest it. I know little about this, I only have 4 leg 'children'.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I think so, according to the website

quote:

Account holders purchase Tuition Units, which represent a fixed amount of undergraduate resident tuition and required fees charged by Texas public colleges and universities. The number of units needed varies depending on the school, but generally 100 units represents 30 semester hours, which is considered to be one academic year.

So it looks like you buy a "Tuition Unit" and then in 18 years they are redeemed to pay for tuition, regardless of the cost?

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

The Mandingo posted:

Pro: you are using today's dollars to buy some percentage of their future college costs irregardless of what that will end up costing when they go. Which would potentially (probably) be a huge difference.

Con: It locks them in to certain colleges i.e. in this case, public Texas colleges. So if your nephew/niece ends up wanting to go to any other school they are poo poo out of luck for using that college fund.

I just had a kid and, personally, I went with a 529 because I don't want to be a parent who is like, "You are going to college. But only this list, sorry." But then again, the savings plan is probably a MUCH better deal if you are okay with the con. I think it's very reasonable to go with either based on personal philosophies/thoughts about colleges/how much you eventually want the investment to be worth.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

"You are going to college. But only this list, sorry."
IMO parents should do this, and same with degree lists they're willing to pay for. A lot of 18yo's aren't able to figure that crap out on their own.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So the thought is that college will get more expensive than it is today in ~18 years? That seems sort of hard to believe considering the trending value of an undergrad education.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

IMO parents should do this, and same with degree lists they're willing to pay for. A lot of 18yo's aren't able to figure that crap out on their own.

My parents basically did this when it came down to NYU at $45k/year or UW at $7k/year. They were all "congratulations on getting in, but..."

I was mad at them for about a week, but in retrospect it's the best decision they ever made for me. And I had a loving fantastic and productive time at the UW without graduating well into six figures of debt.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SiGmA_X posted:

Well sure, but you can do it in a different way, you might think?

"Here's our budget, and here's our suggestions for what you might want to be looking for, so here's a list of colleges but feel free to do more investigation on your own, just make sure it's within the budget"?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Con: It locks them in to certain colleges i.e. in this case, public Texas colleges. So if your nephew/niece ends up wanting to go to any other school they are poo poo out of luck for using that college fund.

IIRC, most prepaid plans allow you to go anywhere, but they end up only paying up to the maximum in state rate.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What the gently caress are you going to do if your kid wants to study something best taught at an out of state school... even a cheap one? Or earns a full-ride scholarship? Or joins the military? Or... gasp... wants to go into a vocation or trade, instead of college?

A gift of tuition is a wonderful thing, if you can afford it. Deciding 18 years in advance that a kid not only has to go to college, but it has to be one of the handful you picked out 18 years ago, before you knew anything at all about them, is hosed up. I'm sure it occasionally works out fine, but why take the risk? How much extra money are you really getting out of that deal, in exchange for the restrictions?

Just invest the money normally, or at worst, in a vehicle where you can take it out without severe penalty if the kid needs something else. Like a trust fund, for example. Or just buy some treasury bonds, you can get tax free ones. Make your gift an actual gift, one you can retract if the kid winds up in jail or whatever, but not some extortion headgame bullshit "do what I want you to do, or not only do you give up thousands of dollars, but the money is all wasted.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Leperflesh posted:

What the gently caress are you going to do if your kid wants to study something best taught at an out of state school... even a cheap one? Or earns a full-ride scholarship? Or joins the military? Or... gasp... wants to go into a vocation or trade, instead of college?

A gift of tuition is a wonderful thing, if you can afford it. Deciding 18 years in advance that a kid not only has to go to college, but it has to be one of the handful you picked out 18 years ago, before you knew anything at all about them, is hosed up. I'm sure it occasionally works out fine, but why take the risk? How much extra money are you really getting out of that deal, in exchange for the restrictions?

Just invest the money normally, or at worst, in a vehicle where you can take it out without severe penalty if the kid needs something else. Like a trust fund, for example. Or just buy some treasury bonds, you can get tax free ones. Make your gift an actual gift, one you can retract if the kid winds up in jail or whatever, but not some extortion headgame bullshit "do what I want you to do, or not only do you give up thousands of dollars, but the money is all wasted.

The 529 plan itself lets you disburse the contributions without penalty, and 10% on earnings unless the kid gets a scholarship (or dies), and while it's taxed, you can direct it to the beneficiary who probably has no income tax burden of note and either get it back as a gift or just fund whatever dumb poo poo they're up to.

The only reason I can imagine the pre-paid making sense is that college is less than 4 years away, you know the kid's school preferences and tuition inflation is massive.

If you think there's going to be a student loan bubble, that might be the case, but I'd probably wager they'd handle it with printing money instead of tax increases, and probably a really idiotic approach to tuition price freezes which will lead to massive contraction in university systems.

Basically keep your poo poo in fungible assets, like dollars.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
My small company just started a 401k, and we have access to American Funds, which as far as I can tell are poo poo garbage. Money market fund with a 0.65% ER. "Balanced" funds with 1.36% ER.

I get a decent employer match, so it's still worth it, but I was so excited for decent place to stash my money :smith:

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Low-Pass Filter posted:

My small company just started a 401k, and we have access to American Funds, which as far as I can tell are poo poo garbage. Money market fund with a 0.65% ER. "Balanced" funds with 1.36% ER.

I get a decent employer match, so it's still worth it, but I was so excited for decent place to stash my money :smith:

Say something to whoever chose it maybe?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

My wife and I are putting money for our two kids into the Florida Prepaid program, and it allows you to use the money at out-of-state and private schools as well. It is actually very flexible even if they get full scholarships. We looked at 529 plans as well, but decided that future unknown costs of tuition and market conditions for acceptable return wasn't a risk we wanted to take in this case. There is also no "severe penalty" if we decide to take the money out and use it for something else, we would just lose any potential earnings had we put that money in some other investment instead of the Prepaid account. We wanted to make sure that our kids could afford to go to college, if they chose to, and this plan lets them do that and we don't have to worry about there being enough in the account to cover their tuition when the time comes. If not, there should be more than enough in the accounts to buy a new, fully loaded F-150 to get a head start on building some decent truck equity.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Celador posted:

My wife and I are putting money for our two kids into the Florida Prepaid program, and it allows you to use the money at out-of-state and private schools as well. It is actually very flexible even if they get full scholarships. We looked at 529 plans as well, but decided that future unknown costs of tuition and market conditions for acceptable return wasn't a risk we wanted to take in this case. There is also no "severe penalty" if we decide to take the money out and use it for something else, we would just lose any potential earnings had we put that money in some other investment instead of the Prepaid account. We wanted to make sure that our kids could afford to go to college, if they chose to, and this plan lets them do that and we don't have to worry about there being enough in the account to cover their tuition when the time comes. If not, there should be more than enough in the accounts to buy a new, fully loaded F-150 to get a head start on building some decent truck equity.

Dude you're in Flordia. Gotta get that boat equity where you can.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Still gonna need that shiny new pickup with super tow package to haul that boat around!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Why not both at the same time? Pretty sure I saw this truck and boat last year at a Barrett Jackson auction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARG4o9Une54

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Florida also doesn't have state income tax, so you don't get the benefit of excluding money from state income taxes like some other state 529 plans offer (nor would you have to pay state income tax on the earnings if you had to pull them back out).

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

MJBuddy posted:

Dude you're in Flordia. Gotta get that boat equity where you can.

Without boat equity you can't get those dock slip dividends

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

District Selectman posted:

Without boat equity you can't get those dock slip dividends

The F-150 doubles as a boat/submarine when it can't get up the boat ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUvqG6cxMx4

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009
My company just went from offering a wide variety of Spartan funds to only offering the S+P 500 along with a bunch of really high expense ratio funds! They took the liberty of transferring my existing money into one of those funds, and I'm pretty mad. It's some sort of 401k, and we don't have an IRA, can transfer all my funds to Vanguard and just have my own IRA, is that possible?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Manstrocity posted:

My company just went from offering a wide variety of Spartan funds to only offering the S+P 500 along with a bunch of really high expense ratio funds! They took the liberty of transferring my existing money into one of those funds, and I'm pretty mad. It's some sort of 401k, and we don't have an IRA, can transfer all my funds to Vanguard and just have my own IRA, is that possible?

Looks like your boss made a friend at the golf course :/

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Manstrocity posted:

I was tempted to ask the thread a while back if its possible to roll over a 401k to an IRA for a job you currently have, but I figured that would have come up many times if it was possible. I believe you can do it for post tax non-roth dollars, if your 401k program allows you to do post tax dollars, but I don't believe you can for tax advantage dollars.

Sucks about your 401k. That is a total dick move.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

It's definitely plan dependent and called an in-service rollover. I'm not sure what the legal restrictions are on which types of funds can do that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Manstrocity posted:

Nope they screwed you. You have to switch jobs to be eligible for a 401k to IRA rollover.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Manstrocity posted:

Put everything into the S&P500 fund and rebalance in your IRA/taxable accounts?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cicero posted:

And maybe ask your HR what the hell happened and can you please have the better funds back and you're worried that someone is taking bribes in exchange for bad 401k funds.

...only if you actually trust your HR department though.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Cicero posted:

This is what I had to do, as VINIX is the only fund worth investing in via my 401k. I do a semi-annual rebalance.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What's the catch with the new Fidelity offer to match 10% of your IRA contributions every year up for 3 years? I love low ER Vanguard funds but a 10% match sounds even better.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Radbot posted:

What's the catch with the new Fidelity offer to match 10% of your IRA contributions every year up for 3 years? I love low ER Vanguard funds but a 10% match sounds even better.

https://rewards.fidelity.com/offers/iramatch

Looks like you have to transfer 500k to get 10%. Keep in mind that with 500k, an ER difference of .1% will cost you $500/year and the most bonus you can get is $1950.

edit: "Account holders must maintain the minimum Qualifying Deposit account balance (minus any losses related to trading or market volatility) at Fidelity for at least nine months from the date on which the bonus award is credited to the account, or Fidelity may charge the account the amount of the bonus award."

So you have to keep it in there for 3 years, 9 months minimum to take full advantage.

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 1, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is there a convenient tool I'm missing in vanguard that helps when you want to rebalance? It can tell me percentages and throw up a handy pie chart, but when it comes to doing actual math I end up having to copy-paste my dollars/shares out and play around with them in a separate spreadsheet until I figure how many shares I need to exchange.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/03/31/396604082/dozens-of-countries-join-china-backed-bank-opposed-by-washington

How do any of you sage goons think the AIIB will affect the US markets both short-term and long-term? Is the AIIB something that an individual could even feasibly invest in?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Is there a convenient tool I'm missing in vanguard that helps when you want to rebalance? It can tell me percentages and throw up a handy pie chart, but when it comes to doing actual math I end up having to copy-paste my dollars/shares out and play around with them in a separate spreadsheet until I figure how many shares I need to exchange.

I have a handy Google speadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlNYW_VA1vzPdEJpWllRN0VEVDd5dXlILUJjWGhQUnc&usp=sharing

Let me know if it's not useful/unclear.

warderenator
Nov 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

khysanth posted:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/03/31/396604082/dozens-of-countries-join-china-backed-bank-opposed-by-washington

How do any of you sage goons think the AIIB will affect the US markets both short-term and long-term? Is the AIIB something that an individual could even feasibly invest in?

Isn't the AIIB just a version of the World Bank run by China instead of the U.S.? If so, it shouldn't affect individual investors in developed countries at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fancy_Lad posted:

https://rewards.fidelity.com/offers/iramatch

Looks like you have to transfer 500k to get 10%. Keep in mind that with 500k, an ER difference of .1% will cost you $500/year and the most bonus you can get is $1950.

edit: "Account holders must maintain the minimum Qualifying Deposit account balance (minus any losses related to trading or market volatility) at Fidelity for at least nine months from the date on which the bonus award is credited to the account, or Fidelity may charge the account the amount of the bonus award."

So you have to keep it in there for 3 years, 9 months minimum to take full advantage.

Thanks for finding that. Definitely doesn't seem worth it at this point.